Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a spinach freak too, so is my youngest. I saw the black eyed peas and rice recipe and thought, oh that needs spinach!! LOL!

I get a carton of Earthbound Farms baby leaf spinach every week. It's a perfect add-in to many dishes, including scrambled eggs and frittatas. I also like to nibble on it right out of the box :D

Last edited:
Grilled cheese and tomato soup?

How about a pasta bake? Cook up the pasta, mix with the tomato sauce or pasta sauce or whatever you have. Spoon it into a casserole, with the mozzarella layered in between.
Cover and bake til hot and the cheese melts.

You can use fresh mozzarella in just about any pasta dish. I've made "Caprese" pasta many times. Just cook your favorite pasta, top it with fresh and/or canned tomatoes, chopped fresh basil, top with dollops of fresh mozzarella, and bake at 350* for 30-40 minutes. We also use fresh mozzarella for Naan (Indian flatbread) pizzas. Layer chopped or sliced fresh tomatoes, chopped fresh basil, minced garlic, a drizzle of olive oil on the flatbreads, top with fresh mozzarella, bake or grill until cheese is melted.

I shared this recipe a while ago. It was awesome!

Eggplant, Tomato and Mozzarella Pasta Bake Recipe | Katie Lee Biegel | Food Network

Thanks for the recommendations of what to do with 16 oz of fresh soon to be outdated mozzarella cheese that I couldn't use on my normal caprese salads soon enough.

I ended up spending Christmas Day making 4 ziti casseroles for neighbors with children to eat after the big day. (I had lots of pasta, lots of tomatoes and sauce and hamburger meat I found in freezer...) I did in 3 loaf pans and one 9" square corningware and topped with the mozzarella slices for each).

It was so wonderful to do all day with my 7 day doggie that is visiting. And neighbors really appreciated too!

Win win!

Thanks for the recommendations of what to do with 16 oz of fresh soon to be outdated mozzarella cheese that I couldn't use on my normal caprese salads soon enough.

I ended up spending Christmas Day making 4 ziti casseroles for neighbors with children to eat after the big day. (I had lots of pasta, lots of tomatoes and sauce and hamburger meat I found in freezer...) I did in 3 loaf pans and one 9" square corningware and topped with the mozzarella slices for each).

It was so wonderful to do all day with my 7 day doggie that is visiting. And neighbors really appreciated too!

Win win!

I'm sure your pasta bake was delicious :) You are a thoughtful, kind, generous person: Your neighbors are fortunate to have you in their midst.

I'm sure your pasta bake was delicious :) You are a thoughtful, kind, generous person: Your neighbors are fortunate to have you in their midst.

One of my neighbors suggested I take a piece out before I brought it over as these days, only delivering things right out of the oven and covered so no issues if they are concerned with COVID etc. vs. cold dishes (same suggestion as when I made this week a broccoli quiche one morning for another).

THAT was thoughtful, as it's so hard to make and eat that large amount, and each time I got something freshly cooked vs. out of my freezer.

I love my hood!

Win win!

Your lucky neighbors! The casseroles sound delicious.

Oh, "won't you be my neighbor?" :D

One of my absolute favorite vegan recipes is lentil loaf. It is moist and delicious and slices like meat loaf.

I like to serve it sliced on an open-faced sandwich, on top of a slice of good whole grain or sourdough bread. Sometimes I drizzle some fresh mushroom gravy on top or serve on the side. I’ve also served it with a home made bbq sauce recipe.

When I serve a few slices of lentil loaf on bread, alongside mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy, it reminds me of the blue plate special at my favorite hometown diner when I was a kid.

It makes great leftovers in sandwiches!

Lentil Loaf

lentilloaf.jpg

A moist, delicious and easy to slice lentil loaf.

Servings:6. Per Serving (3/4 Inch Slice): 225 Calories, 7.5g Fat, 30g Carbohydrates, 10g Protein, 6.5g Fiber, 8g Sugar.

ingredients_line.gif

• Tomato Topping Mixture
  • 1 6oz Can Tomato Paste
  • 1 Tablespoon Sugar
  • 1/2 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon Onion Flakes
  • 1 Teaspoon Garlic Salt

Lentil Loaf
  • 1 Cup Old Fashioned Oats or Gluten Free Oats
  • 1/2 Block Extra Firm Tofu
  • 1 Cup Chopped Onion
  • 1/2 Cup Chopped Green Pepper
  • 1/2 Cup Chopped Red Pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon Tomato Topping Mixture
  • 3 Tablespoons Plain Yellow Corn Meal
  • 3/4 Cup Cooked & Drained Lentils
  • 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Thyme
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Cumin
  • 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
  • 1 Teaspoon Dried Parsley
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1 Teaspoon Sugar
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Salt
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Onion Salt
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Dried Mustard

directions_line.gif

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Mix the tomato topping mixture together first because you will need a tablespoon to mix into the lentil loaf. The rest will be set aside to coat the loaf when completed.

Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to a skillet on medium heat, add chopped onions, red and green bell pepper and let cook until onions are transparent (about 5 minutes), stirring frequently.

In a food processor chop oats for 5 quick pulses.

Drain tofu well and press with hands until all excess water comes out. In a mixing bowl mash tofu with a fork or use grater to coarsely grate.

In the same mixing bowl combine, cooked onions and peppers, 1 tablespoon of tomato mixture, oats, corn meal, lentils, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, 1 tablespoon olive oil, thyme, cumin, chili powder, parsley, salt, sugar, garlic and onion salt, dried mustard and mix until well combined.

Spray a large sheet of tin foil with cooking spray to form loaf on, place on cookie sheet. On top and in the middle of tin foil form loaf mixture into loaf that is 2 1/2 inches tall and 4 1/2 inches square. Coat top and sides with tomato mixture (you will probably have some left over to spoon on later).

Cook loaf for 20 minutes, then cover with tin foil and cook for another 10 minutes. After cooking let cool for 10 minutes before cutting into it.

tipsandtricks_line.gif

One of my absolute favorite vegan recipes is lentil loaf. It is moist and delicious and slices like meat loaf.

I like to serve it sliced on an open-faced sandwich, on top of a slice of good whole grain or sourdough bread. Sometimes I drizzle some fresh mushroom gravy on top or serve on the side. I’ve also served it with a home made bbq sauce recipe.

When I serve a few slices of lentil loaf on bread, alongside mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy, it reminds me of the blue plate special at my favorite hometown diner when I was a kid.

Lentil Loaf

lentilloaf.jpg

A moist, delicious and easy to slice lentil loaf.

Servings:6. Per Serving (3/4 Inch Slice): 225 Calories, 7.5g Fat, 30g Carbohydrates, 10g Protein, 6.5g Fiber, 8g Sugar.

ingredients_line.gif

• Tomato Topping Mixture
  • 1 6oz Can Tomato Paste
  • 1 Tablespoon Sugar
  • 1/2 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon Onion Flakes
  • 1 Teaspoon Garlic Salt

Lentil Loaf
  • 1 Cup Old Fashioned Oats or Gluten Free Oats
  • 1/2 Block Extra Firm Tofu
  • 1 Cup Chopped Onion
  • 1/2 Cup Chopped Green Pepper
  • 1/2 Cup Chopped Red Pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon Tomato Topping Mixture
  • 3 Tablespoons Plain Yellow Corn Meal
  • 3/4 Cup Cooked & Drained Lentils
  • 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Thyme
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Cumin
  • 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
  • 1 Teaspoon Dried Parsley
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1 Teaspoon Sugar
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Salt
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Onion Salt
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Dried Mustard

directions_line.gif

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Mix the tomato topping mixture together first because you will need a tablespoon to mix into the lentil loaf. The rest will be set aside to coat the loaf when completed.

Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to a skillet on medium heat, add chopped onions, red and green bell pepper and let cook until onions are transparent (about 5 minutes), stirring frequently.

In a food processor chop oats for 5 quick pulses.

Drain tofu well and press with hands until all excess water comes out. In a mixing bowl mash tofu with a fork or use grater to coarsely grate.

In the same mixing bowl combine, cooked onions and peppers, 1 tablespoon of tomato mixture, oats, corn meal, lentils, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, 1 tablespoon olive oil, thyme, cumin, chili powder, parsley, salt, sugar, garlic and onion salt, dried mustard and mix until well combined.

Spray a large sheet of tin foil with cooking spray to form loaf on, place on cookie sheet. On top and in the middle of tin foil form loaf mixture into loaf that is 2 1/2 inches tall and 4 1/2 inches square. Coat top and sides with tomato mixture (you will probably have some left over to spoon on later).

Cook loaf for 20 minutes, then cover with tin foil and cook for another 10 minutes. After cooking let cool for 10 minutes before cutting into it.

tipsandtricks_line.gif
This sounds great, Ice! Thanks for sharing. All items in my COVID pantry or freezer. ( tofu freezes wonderfully right in its package, btw. ) On the menu for next week!

It makes great leftovers in sandwiches!...
tipsandtricks_line.gif

The Lentil Loaf looks delicious, but that's a boatload of ingredients :D DH isn't crazy about lentils, but I make lentil soup during the winter. Never thought about turning lentils into a loaf, but I am willing to try new recipes for the winter months. We will continue to keep market treks to a minimum and will make sure that our pantry has necessary staples, the freezer is as full as it can be, and that we always have fresh fruits and veggies.

This sounds great, Ice! Thanks for sharing. All items in my COVID pantry or freezer. ( tofu freezes wonderfully right in its package, btw. ) On the menu for next week!

Thanks for the tip! I never thought about freezing tofu. DH is not a fan, but I like to bake tofu and usually make enough for 2 or 3 meals for myself.

Thanks for the tip! I never thought about freezing tofu. DH is not a fan, but I like to bake tofu and usually make enough for 2 or 3 meals for myself.
It does take on a bit of a different texture when frozen and thawed. Some say more chewy. There are all sorts of opinions on the internet as to how to freeze and its benefits, textures etc. I have found personally, just freezing it right in the pack works just fine. I thaw and press in my tofu press as usual.

The Lentil Loaf looks delicious, but that's a boatload of ingredients :D DH isn't crazy about lentils, but I make lentil soup during the winter. Never thought about turning lentils into a loaf, but I am willing to try new recipes for the winter months. We will continue to keep market treks to a minimum and will make sure that our pantry has necessary staples, the freezer is as full as it can be, and that we always have fresh fruits and veggies.

BBM--Ha ha, that was my reaction too!

I guess I'll stick to regular meatloaf (with ground beef), which DH loves.

It does take on a bit of a different texture when frozen and thawed. Some say more chewy. There are all sorts of opinions on the internet as to how to freeze and its benefits, textures etc. I have found personally, just freezing it right in the pack works just fine. I thaw and press in my tofu press as usual.
I have seen some recipes that call for the tofu to be frozen first, to achieve the chewy texture.

A forgotten food of the American South

“Pokeweed – a green that’s toxic if prepared incorrectly – has been eaten throughout the American South, and could be having a renaissance thanks to the local foraging movement.”

have that in my yard -the birds eat the berries...but I wonder what nutrition remains after all the boiling

tipsandtricks_line.gif

I like Amy's brand frozen veg "meatloaf," so I would probably like this, but I am so lazy about cooking. Putting a recipe in the oven is a lot more desirable when it is winter and I want the kitchen to heat up. Would also like it with cocktail sauce or chipolte mayo...

My friend made a creamed spinach dish for Christmas dinner. It was beyond delicious. Perfect for a lush holiday dish, where you don't count any calories! I even ate it cold the next day with carrots, as a dip, it was that good!

The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe - Dinner, Then Dessert
I’ve been a vegetarian for 20 years, but I used to love to go to Morton’s Steakhouse for the creamed spinach.

When you sit at the bar the bartender passes out complimentary little steak sandwiches. I used to go with my dad, and I would discreetly pass my steak sandwiches to him. I’d order creamed spinach and a baked potato. He’d eat the steak sandwiches. He’d drink Maker’s, I would drink Long Island iced teas. Good times.

Last night I made the famous New York Times stew (#thestew) that apparently nearly broke the internet back in March because it was so popular. Not that many ingredients and they are things you are likely to already have in your cupboards, so handy if the fridge is a bit bare in between grocery shopping runs. It is very rich and creamy (I added some more chilli and lime for an extra kick). I thought it was really delicious and will definitely make it regularly from now on. It is vegan if you don't add the yoghurt at the end to serve.

Spiced Chickpea Stew With Coconut and Turmeric Recipe

My friend made a creamed spinach dish for Christmas dinner. It was beyond delicious. Perfect for a lush holiday dish, where you don't count any calories! I even ate it cold the next day with carrots, as a dip, it was that good!

The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe - Dinner, Then Dessert

I've only been to Morton's once - about 12 years ago. I don't recall specifically that I had the creamed spinach, but I'm guessing that I probably did because that was before my lactose intolerance kicked in :( I did take a few bites of DH's creamed spinach when we went to Ruth's Chris in October.

Ruth's Chris Steak House Creamed Spinach Recipe - Food.com

O/T: Are you moved into your new digs yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member