Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #90

Status
Not open for further replies.
YWCA of Central VA receiving influx of domestic violence calls during COVID-19 pandemic

My friend works at a shelter in town, which is over full, and of course, everyone has Covid now, including the Social Workers.

She said that this is the worst she has ever seen. Lots of elderly people getting dumped, and with Covid, there just isn't any place to put folks.
Ugh. I was in an extremely abusive marriage and every day I think how awful it would be to be in a lockdown situation with my ex. Everyone is extra stressed and it ramps up abusers even more of course. There are just so many more ramifications than the obvious for keeping everyone safe. This is getting so depressing y’all!

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article248169850.html

“North Carolina is updating its COVID-19 vaccine distribution plan, moving long-term care facility residents and staff and many essential workers to an earlier spot in line for the coronavirus shot, state Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Dr. Mandy Cohen said Wednesday.

The change comes nearly a week after Atrium Health in Charlotte drew sharp scrutiny for scheduling vaccination appointments for employees who do not work directly with COVID-19 patients.”

“Under the state’s updated vaccination plan, Phase 1b will include anyone age 75 or older, health-care workers and front-line essential workers. There aren’t enough shots to vaccinate everyone in Phase 1b at once, so those people will be further split into groups, Cohen said.

https://files.nc.gov/covid/documents/vaccines/NCDHHS-Vaccine-Infographic.pdf

Cohen said the state expects to move into Phase 1b in early January. The state’s full plan is available online at yourspotyourshot.nc.gov.

We love Dr. Mandy Cohen!

Can somebody re-explain Rt for me, please? Way back when, I thought I understood, I stalked Rt COVID-19 so that I could see which states were doing well and which were not. I see several states "in the green" that don't seem to be doing particularly well. Is it accurate?

The high risk groups are in the next round. Including those who are a high risk of spreading the virus even more.

It is all about context.

"New York state has prioritized the vaccine distribution to high-risk populations, including those in congregate care settings where there is an increased danger of virus spread. Many people in these facilities also have additional risk factors that make them more vulnerable to the effects of COVID-19. Unfortunately, there continues to be a stigma against those in recovery when it comes to equal access to health care. These individuals deserve the same access to medical care as everyone else, and those at high risk of COVID should be vaccinated in line with other high-risk populations."
Governor: Drug addicts in rehab facilities will be part of next round to get COVID vaccine

Last edited by a moderator:
Can somebody re-explain Rt for me, please? Way back when, I thought I understood, I stalked Rt COVID-19 so that I could see which states were doing well and which were not. I see several states "in the green" that don't seem to be doing particularly well. Is it accurate?

I could be wrong, but I know that our state labs were a bit behind with holidays. Maybe that is why the stats look so "good" for some places.

The high risk groups are in the next round. Including those who are a high risk of spreading the virus even more.

It is all about context.

"New York state has prioritized the vaccine distribution to high-risk populations, including those in congregate care settings where there is an increased danger of virus spread. Many people in these facilities also have additional risk factors that make them more vulnerable to the effects of COVID-19. Unfortunately, there continues to be a stigma against those in recovery when it comes to equal access to health care. These individuals deserve the same access to medical care as everyone else, and those at high risk of COVID should be vaccinated in line with other high-risk populations."
Governor: Drug addicts in rehab facilities will be part of next round to get COVID vaccine

I see, congregate settings.

But will they receive the vaccine before the elderly who are in nursing homes? Probably not...maybe they mean congregate settings gets priority over elderly who are not in congregate settings? Whatever the case, I think elderly should get top priority, as it should be about minimizing impact to the most vulnerable groups.

I’ll take a read later, thanks for the reference. :)

But will they receive the vaccine before the elderly who are in nursing homes? Probably not...maybe they mean congregate settings gets priority over elderly who are not in congregate settings? Whatever the case, I think elderly should get top priority, as it should be about minimizing impact to the most vulnerable groups.

It is not about who is most deserving of having the vaccine. It is about who is most likely to spread it through the whole community. It is about controlling the spread.

I think Gov Cuomo is very concerned about stopping the spread. He has a good point. It is one thing that is not happening in many places.

Well, as I thought (and hoped) at one minute past midnight - in about 10 hours and at the start of 2021 - my state is slamming our border shut to people from NSW. Their cases are escalating and they have no plans to shut up shop at the moment, so we are going into protection mode.

NSW has imposed restrictions on its Sydney population, but those restrictions are nowhere near tight enough for my state's Premier.

SA to impose hard border with NSW from New Year's Day amid Sydney coronavirus outbreak

Sadly, this is only a portion. There are endless videos like this out there. :(

What I really don’t understand is what is the big deal about wearing a mask?! Like even if it’s proven later to not have worked (which it won’t be) what is the personal cost to people? Don’t they care about others?

What I really don’t understand is what is the big deal about wearing a mask?! Like even if it’s proven later to not have worked (which it won’t be) what is the personal cost to people? Don’t they care about others?
If I answered that my post would be deleted. It is about a false interpretation of freedom.

Rt is "rate of transmission." Supposedly under one means that infections are declining; over one means there is growth in infection. It represents how many new infections each cases causes: thus an Rt of 1.5 means each infectious person passes the virus onto 1.5 new people- or 2 people infected would create 2 x 1.5, or 3 additional cases. In theory, at least for a short while, you could have not too many cases but a high rate of transmission. Also, you could have a lot of cases, but if the virus is "slowing down," the Rt could be lower than you would think.

I hear ya- my husband says masks don't work ( he gets his info from Fox)-- Fortunately he wears it- I said look, I don't care if you don't think masks work, as long as you wear one we'll be good. Like you, I think about people who make this huge deal out of wearing a mask: i say, hey, wear one just in case it works!!!! I tried to explain to my husband-- don't call it a mask- just think of it as a piece of cloth across your nose and mouth. Think about sneezing or coughing with that mask on- doesn't it make sense that if you sneeze or cough, the droplets are pretty much more contained than if you don't wear a mask and when you sneeze, the plume of droplets can travel 24 feet- it is just common sense--

Mom who gave birth while intubated due to COVID-19 made her ICU nurse the godmother

A woman has finally brought her child home after giving birth while fighting COVID-19.

On Sept. 23, Monique Jones of Ferguson, Missouri, welcomed Zamyrah Prewitt who arrived at 29 weeks gestation weighing 2 pounds, 5 ounces.

Jones had tested positive for COVID-19 on Sept. 4 and was hospitalized. The 28-year-old mother of two told "Good Morning America" that doctors at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis, performed the early c-section to save her daughter's life.

"It was possible that I wouldn't live--that's all I was thinking," Jones said. "They asked me if it was possible to take my baby out. At first I told them no, but I wasn't getting any better."

9f6734dad0fa46362deb6b9a2a5f7985

"I am happy and grateful that I'm still here but at the same time it's still overwhelming," she added.

Prior to being tested for the virus, Jones felt common symptoms such as chills and shortness of breath. She said she rarely left her house during her pregnancy other than to grocery shop, and always wore a mask and washed her hands properly.

Jones said she was intubated at the hospital on Sept. 6. Intensive care unit nurse Caitlyn Obrock told "GMA" that Jones, who was her patient, was on high oxygen and was nervous about the intubation.

5da1f3e8d1833b6e69f6b7cbc1f5fb10

"She was scared," Obrock said. "I was very invested in her, hoping and praying for a good outcome."

73781e7c854713b202bfaebb849870e0

Sisters

Obrock said she does not usually keep in touch with her patients, though she felt a special connection to Jones.

While Jones underwent rehab, Obrock raised $2,000 in baby gifts. She and her colleagues then held a baby shower for Jones.

34e80d1efea60696df4c6d505896795b

6a2b3ec75f5ae36219c2fc7de9ea2313

"She's a miracle," Obrock said of Jones. "Her and her baby."

MORE: Heartbroken community supports 17-year-old who lost parents to COVIpart

Yale student leads 2,700 making prescription and grocery runs amid COVID-19 crisis

Last edited:
It is not about who is most deserving of having the vaccine. It is about who is most likely to spread it through the whole community. It is about controlling the spread.

I think Gov Cuomo is very concerned about stopping the spread. He has a good point. It is one thing that is not happening in many places.

I hear ya, and I’m sure Cuomo knows what he’s doing, but as I understand it, we don’t know the vaccine’s effect on transmissibility - the vaccine is for minimizing severity and impact of disease. I thought that this was the chief focus, and factors relating to spread post vaccination were still unknown? Therefore, prioritization allocated to those who have the strongest chance of becoming the most ill?

There is still some confusion on my part about herd immunity, as related to vaccination, when they’re not sure if one can still spread it...perhaps viral load plays a role, idk. I look forward to looking at his more tomorrow with fresh eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member