TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like the one whose address is very close to the one reported in MSM is, at least, visited and maintained regularly. Possibly a hunting camp or a site tender's quarters?

I agree, #2379, with the propane tank near the shed, really close to the road, looks fine. There even looks to be a security light in the back (on a tall utility pole). Not sure it is working, usually one pays the electric company an extra monthly fee for one of those to stay on.

I agree, #2379, with the propane tank near the shed, really close to the road, looks fine. There even looks to be a security light in the back (on a tall utility pole). Not sure it is working, usually one pays the electric company an extra monthly fee for one of those to stay on.
what drew him to the old house and pond area? Did he approach either from above or below?

where is pod located on this map, can you figure it?

I'm not sure which pond was drained. There is a body of water just east of the one house. Might have to go through a wooded area first. It could be a type of frac pond, and I think that land might be owned by an oil company.

<moo>

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201230-194628_Maps~3.jpg
    Screenshot_20201230-194628_Maps~3.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 34
We need an annotated map showing car crash location
abandoned house that dogs marked
pond where dogs signalled
area where his tracks stopped after 100 yds or feet
And all buildings within those ranges possibly lighted and visible on a dark night.

I'm trying to catch up on this thread, but due to high profile, I would expect LE to have done tower dumps to see if any communications were done near the area during that time and traced them.

MOO

Wouldn't they need a warrant for that? To get a warrant, they need evidence of a crime. I don't think a judge would sign off on that unless they have a lot of information we don't know about.

In the Matt Lang case that was very similar to Landry's case (car crash, missing driver), there was no legal access to his phone records because there was no evidence of a crime = no warrant.

Another interesting note --reportedly, although Lang was missing for nearly a month and his crashed vehicle abandoned, LE did not believe a crime occurred and therefore could not obtain a search warrant for his cell phone activity.
^^sbm

Were the tracker dogs offered the clothes found at the site to key off of, immediately, under the assumption they were his clothes? Or, were clothes that were identified by family or roommate ( if he had one) brought to the site for the tracker dogs?
We are still reading about assumptions as facts. MOO MOO MOO

I'm searching for dead accurate geolocations.
Not much joy
UPDATE: SEARCH SUSPENDED – Over the last nine days; law enforcement investigators and two different search teams have searched for Jason Landry in every accessible, reasonable and practical place that he might be. Searchers and law enforcement investigators have utilized multiple resources in the search for Jason, including a helicopter with infrared cameras, UAVs (drones), side-scan sonar, scent dogs, as well as searchers on foot, ATVs and horseback. We will not speculate on what may have happen to Jason, but we feel the vast area surrounding the accident scene has been thoroughly searched … and Jason still hasn’t been found. As a result, Texas EquuSearch is suspending our search operations for Jason until law enforcement investigators obtain credible, and sufficient information that would lead our team into a more specific area to search.

UPDATE: We have an additional photo of 21 year-old Jason Landry with a beard that might more accurately reflect his appearance at the time of his disappearance.

SEARCH SUSPENDED: Jason Landry – Caldwell County, Texas (12/14/20)

Were the tracker dogs offered the clothes found at the site to key off of, immediately, under the assumption they were his clothes? Or, were clothes that were identified by family or roommate ( if he had one) brought to the site for the tracker dogs?
We are still reading about assumptions as facts. MOO MOO MOO
I think it is safe to assume that TES are one of the most highly professional and highly regarded SAR teams in the US if not the world.
They would have checked and not just instigated highly expensive and time taking searches on a maybe.
Links to their resources posted upthread.
ETA How, When and Why We Search

I'm not sure which pond was drained. There is a body of water just east of the one house. Might have to go through a wooded area first. It could be a type of frac pond, and I think that land might be owned by an oil company.

<moo>

I had put this post in the media thread. But I will link and post again. When I posted there it was just to document and I didn’t want to backtrack the thread here but it is totally relevant now. I agree, I think the pond you circled is the pond drained. I also am not sure why he would’ve headed that direction.
South Hays FD Dive Team

At around 1000 hrs on 16 December 2020, South Hays Fire Department Dive Team (SHFD-DT) received a request for Mutual Aid by the Texas Department of Public Safety to assist in the search for Jason D. Landry by checking a large stock pond in the area of Salt Flats Rd. in Luling, TX.

The team was on scene at 1330. At approximately 1430, SHFD-DT Divers, supported by Texas DPS, Texas Game Wardens, TX SAR, and Luling Fire Department small-boat operators, entered the water and began clearing the primary point of interest detected by Game Wardens' side-scan sonar: a shadow detected 25 feet off shore.

Divers cleared the point of interest using a fan search method and continued out to 60 feet with negative results. The team then repositioned and repeated the search pattern, overlapping the previous pattern to ensure accuracy.

Dive operations were suspended at 1800 due to fading light conditions.

Pumps have continued draining the pond overnight and, as of this writing, your SHFD Dive Team stands ready to respond to any further search requests.

Our deepest sympathies go out to his family and friends during this difficult time.

For more information, please see the following news reports.

Law enforcement searching for Texas State student who disappeared after crash near Luling

Search continues for missing Texas State student

Hope fading as search for missing Texas State student ends third day

View attachment 277409
Divers Tony B and Bill J discuss bottom conditions (cold, muddy, blackout visibility) while awaiting the plan for the next phase of the search. Luling FD Swiftwater Boat in the background.
View attachment 277410
Divers Tony emerges from the pond after a search rotation. Dive Bill is standing by to assist as he detaches from the tender line held by Tender John G.
View attachment 277411
Diver Bill has emerged from the ooze and is standing by for further orders. He's standing in the water to regulate his temperature. While the air and water temperatures were in the mid-50's, the contaminated-water dry suit he is wearing gets very hot, very quickly.
View attachment 277412

Diver Bill maintaining the search pattern by crawling through the shallows to the next deep spot. While the depth there was not more than 12 inches, the bottom was a further 12-18 inches of soft, viscous mud which made standing and walking impossible. Divers used this opportunity to feel in the mud for any items which may aid the search.
View attachment 277413

Diver Bill comes to the end of the mud flat and descends to continue the search.
View attachment 277414
Diver Bill on standby as Diver Tony executes the search pattern.
View attachment 277415

Tender John G. and Lt. James S. walking towards our new operations trailer.
View attachment 277417

Tender John G. maintains tension on the line as Diver Tony continues the search. Diver Bill stands by to assist.
View attachment 277419
Tender John G. pays out line so the diver can reverse direction and cover new ground.
View attachment 277420
Shore personnel standing by during continued search operations after clearing the initial target area.

I think it is safe to assume that TES are one of the most highly professional and highly regarded SAR teams in the US if not the world.
They would have checked and not just instigated highly expensive and time taking searches on a maybe.
Links to their resources posted upthread.
ETA How, When and Why We Searquestioninch
I wasn't questioning TES's process and procedures at all. I just wondered if LE when they arrived on scene, used that discarded clothing to immediately give their dogs a scent. Was it LE or TES dogs that tracked his scent to the abandoned house and to the pond and also back down the road for a quarter of a mile?

I wasn't questioning TES's process and procedures at all. I just wondered if LE when they arrived on scene, used that discarded clothing to immediately give their dogs a scent. Was it LE or TES dogs that tracked his scent to the abandoned house and to the pond and also back down the road for a quarter of a mile?
ANY and every professional team would have assessed the scent material given to dogs was both correct and appropriate.

I had put this post in the media thread. But I will link and post again. When I posted there it was just to document and I didn’t want to backtrack the thread here but it is totally relevant now. I agree, I think the pond you circled is the pond drained. I also am not sure why he would’ve headed that direction.
Thanks for that.
It states 'large stock pond' but does not provide geolocation.. or distance from vehicle or building,
I wonder whether there is any way to find out?

Dec 18th
As of 3:00 p.m. Friday, Kent said that the pond was drained and that "from the best they can tell, Jason is not in there. They are bringing teams to thoroughly examine it, and are trying to figure out why the [search] dogs all led to the pond."

The search is planned to continue going into the weekend before Christmas. According to the SPC, there will be 10 K-9 units, a plane, 40 people searching, and the teams on horses will continue. DNA samples will also be taken from Jason's car.

Read More: Search Crews Drain Pond In Search For Missing College Student | Search Crews Drain Pond In Search For Missing Texas College Student Jason Landry

The
Thanks @Seattle1 - this is great!

So the backpack was found 100 yards south (back toward Luling) on the road, and his clothing was found “near the scene along the roadway.” To me, that sounds like the clothing was closer to the accident scene than the backpack. JMO.

What if he (or someone else) was going through the backpack looking for something? They throw out the clothing in the backpack right away because it’s bulky. They continue on a ways, find whatever they’re looking for, and just discard the backpack. JMO.

Doesn’t seem to make sense that someone would leave narcotics and the wallet behind, unless they didn’t see the narcotics and/or they took the bulk of the drugs and one unit mistakenly was left behind. Or they found what they were looking for (cash?) and threw out the rest. JMO.

It just seems like there should have been more in the backpack than was inventoried (Or there were A LOT of narcotics or a very large wallet). JMO.
One, among many glaring difficulties for me, is who saw him, and where and when was the last time he was actually seen alive.
I agree, and a glaring difficulty for me, is why have none of his friends or family come out and said anything? There has to be someone who saw him before the accident and could shed some light on what happened. It's eerily quiet. As far as the Venmo with college age kids. I can only go by what my own college age kids tell me... and that is Venmo is the "go to" for buying weed in college.

Wouldn't they need a warrant for that? To get a warrant, they need evidence of a crime. I don't think a judge would sign off on that unless they have a lot of information we don't know about.
Nope!
I can't find an article I read recently, but it discussed how LE can get data from a tower and go thru it, then petition for a search warrant based on any useful info they find.

I'm not sure if I can post a link? Mods?

No Warrant, No Problem: How the Government Can Get Your Digital Data — ProPublica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BISHWHETT