TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sixteen days after JL crashed his car and vanished, Fox-7 obtained the document as shown during the broadcast at the link below. However, it was Reporter M. Austin that appeared live on evening news prior to this broadcast reading from the report when she was first to report the pack and contents found on the road -- 100 feet south and the crash location.

Backpack filled with narcotics found near missing man's car

See the link below for screenshot of the DPS report from the broadcast:

TX - TX - Jason Landry, 21, en route from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020

ETA: While it was reported earlier by MSM that JL's clothes were also located outside of the vehicle, this info does not appear in the DPS report. I believe the reported clothes were probably found by searchers.

Jinx @diggndeeperstill !

Thank you. Somebody had said there was a copy on thread 1. I guess they were talking about the screenshot.

Police looking for a Texas State University student in Caldwell County

Texas Department of Public Safety spokesman Sgt. Deon Cockrell said the crash involving Jason Landry's car was reported around 12:30 a.m. on Monday, on Salt Flat Road in south Caldwell County.

"The car got off the road and spun around, and the back driver-side trunk, bumper and the side of the car took most of the impact," Cockrell said Thursday.

Cockrell said emergency crews found some of Landry's personal items outside of the car at the scene of the crash, including a backpack that helped authorities identify him and contact his family.

Thanks @Seattle1 - this is great!

This is the best we have about the clothing:
Search continues for missing Texas State student
12/15/2020
[..]
It’s easy to miss where Jason’s car left the gravel road. It ended up in a ditch along a fence and tree line. Some of his clothing however was found near the scene along the roadway.

“We know he got out of the crash OK, and was walking back, this way, and that’s the last we know for sure,” said Kent Landry.
<RSBM>

So the backpack was found 100 yards south (back toward Luling) on the road, and his clothing was found “near the scene along the roadway.” To me, that sounds like the clothing was closer to the accident scene than the backpack. JMO.

What if he (or someone else) was going through the backpack looking for something? They throw out the clothing in the backpack right away because it’s bulky. They continue on a ways, find whatever they’re looking for, and just discard the backpack. JMO.

Doesn’t seem to make sense that someone would leave narcotics and the wallet behind, unless they didn’t see the narcotics and/or they took the bulk of the drugs and one unit mistakenly was left behind. Or they found what they were looking for (cash?) and threw out the rest. JMO.

It just seems like there should have been more in the backpack than was inventoried (Or there were A LOT of narcotics or a very large wallet). JMO.

Just putting this out there. Several have suggested the possibility that he was the victim of a hit and run. Can anyone tell me one good reason a driver would pick up someone they hit and take the body somewhere else? I think most anyone who wouldn't do the right thing, and report the accident, would take off down that dark road as fast as possible, trusting no one would ever know! Please enlighten me.

One scenario is that you hit someone walking in the road wearing dark clothing in the middle of the night. You didn’t see him at all! Now he’s seriously injured but still alive. You either have no cell service or know that it would be faster to take him to the hospital than call for an ambulance. So you load him in your vehicle and take off toward the hospital. JMO.

You soon realize he’s expired. Maybe you’re impaired, maybe you don’t have a legal license, maybe you’re on parole — whatever it is, you tried to do the right thing, but he’s dead and no one will believe your side of the story now. JMO.

You decide it’s better to dump the body, but it seems risky to drive back to the scene to do so. Would you be able to even find it in the dark? So you dump the body somewhere else and try to carry on. JMO.

One scenario is that you hit someone walking in the road wearing dark clothing in the middle of the night. You didn’t see him at all! Now he’s seriously injured but still alive. You either have no cell service or know that it would be faster to take him to the hospital than call for an ambulance. So you load him in your vehicle and take off toward the hospital. JMO.

You soon realize he’s expired. Maybe you’re impaired, maybe you don’t have a legal license, maybe you’re on parole — whatever it is, you tried to do the right thing, but he’s dead and no one will believe your side of the story now. JMO.

You decide it’s better to dump the body, but it seems risky to drive back to the scene to do so. Would you be able to even find it in the dark? So you dump the body somewhere else and try to carry on. JMO.
I think that’s possible...at this point almost anything is possible...it’s just so strange....I wonder if his parents have gotten his report card or grades from his college semester yet? I wonder how he did in his classes?

Of course it’s been several years since I was in college....they would mail our grades to us....I bet now everything is on the computer...but still his parents should have access to that shouldn’t they?
I never got my kids grades in college. They are sent directly to the students. I never saw a copy. I had to rely on the kids to tell me.

I think that’s possible...at this point almost anything is possible...it’s just so strange....I wonder if his parents have gotten his report card or grades from his college semester yet? I wonder how he did in his classes?
My son’s college has a parent portal, from which he is able to delegate which information as his parents we are able to access. We can then log in and view the items that he has granted us access.
-Course History, Student Grades, View Account Summary, View Addresses, View Class Schedule, View Financial Aid Awards and View Financial Aid Alerts.
I’m not sure that all colleges do this but this is the second that he has attended with the same sort of policy. It is very difficult to get any information from the university regarding him specifically without his permission or him being present to access it.

My son’s college has a parent portal, from which he is able to delegate which information as his parents we are able to access. We can then log in and view the items that he has granted us access.
-Course History, Student Grades, View Account Summary, View Addresses, View Class Schedule, View Financial Aid Awards and View Financial Aid Alerts.
I’m not sure that all colleges do this but this is the second that he has attended with the same sort of policy. It is very difficult to get any information from the university regarding him specifically without his permission or him being present to access it.
Oh ok...that makes sense....good to know.

I just finished reading YELP reviews on The Retreat Apartments where he lived and it re-enforces my thought that what happened may have had its roots there before he left for home, if that was even his destination that night.
Did he leave The Retreat alone?
I just read those too...wow, is all I can say.....sounds like party city with lots of assaults, break ins, robberies, etc.....

I feel a little silly for pitching this unlikely movie plot type scenario. Let me be clear- I still think the most likely scenario is accident, followed by wandering off and succumbing to his injuries...yet to be found.

But thinking about where Jason was, and how dark it was, and his probable physical state... I’m thinking to myself, what would his most likely actions be. And I think it would be to seek help. When I followed Jason’s path along his route with the street view link someone provided, I did notice some homes and driveways. So, then I think to myself, what potential problems could occur in JL seeking help? Anyone care to chime in?

The first thing that came to mind was that Jason stumbled onto someone’s property, tripping their motion lights/sensors and caused the homeowner to grab a gun for protection from possible intruder. Homeowner calls out a warning to alleged intruder, but Jason having experienced head trauma, does not respond appropriately and proceeds toward home. Homeowner shoots and inadvertently kills Jason. Homeowner finds Jason young, previously injured and unarmed. Homeowner then panics and hides the evidence.

The problem I have in this scenario is wouldn’t the homeowner just call the police and explain the situation? Though we’ve seen how these kinds of cases can be complicated.

I know this particular scenario is probably unlikely, but I was just trying to think of what kinds of obstacles Jason could have encountered in his quest to seek help. If he did not stay in the roadway, then the obstacles would be falls into bodies of water, etc. But what would his obstacles be if wandering onto properties along the road?

I feel a little silly for pitching this unlikely movie plot type scenario. Let me be clear- I still think the most likely scenario is accident, followed by wandering off and succumbing to his injuries...yet to be found.

But thinking about where Jason was, and how dark it was, and his probable physical state... I’m thinking to myself, what would his most likely actions be. And I think it would be to seek help. When I followed Jason’s path along his route with the street view link someone provided, I did notice some homes and driveways. So, then I think to myself, what potential problems could occur in JL seeking help? Anyone care to chime in?

The first thing that came to mind was that Jason stumbled onto someone’s property, tripping their motion lights/sensors and caused the homeowner to grab a gun for protection from possible intruder. Homeowner calls out a warning to alleged intruder, but Jason having experienced head trauma, does not respond appropriately and proceeds toward home. Homeowner shoots and inadvertently kills Jason. Homeowner finds Jason young, previously injured and unarmed. Homeowner then panics and hides the evidence.

The problem I have in this scenario is wouldn’t the homeowner just call the police and explain the situation? Though we’ve seen how these kinds of cases can be complicated.

I know this particular scenario is probably unlikely, but I was just trying to think of what kinds of obstacles Jason could have encountered in his quest to seek help. If he did not stay in the roadway, then the obstacles would be falls into bodies of water, etc. But what would his obstacles be if wandering onto properties along the road?

I had not thought of this potential scenario, but it seems possible. Guns seem to be a way of life in TX (I live here), and my guess is that anyone living on acreage out on the prairie would have guns for protection. Homeowners have shot and killed perceived intruders in a number of cases. There was a high-profile case in Houston maybe 25 years ago where a visiting business man from overseas was out partying at night, and somehow ended up in a well-heeled neighborhood after midnight and tried to gain entrance to a home. The homeowner shot and killed him through the door. It was tragic for everyone.

I am guessing anyone living in the area of the wrecked car would have been questioned by LE to see if they heard or saw anything as part of the search for Jason. Surely that would have turned up any reports of gunshots that night, even though that sound would not be unusual in a rural area. It’s just such a agonizing mystery. This family needs answers. I hope they get them even if we don’t.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

He's said to have about 10 minutes out of downtown Luling, which would put him in a pretty remote area, even for a small town. This link is to a specific location on the road, but unsure of how accurate that would be:
Google Maps
Not only that but the houses seem to be very far back from the property lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course it’s been several years since I was in college....they would mail our grades to us....I bet now everything is on the computer...but still his parents should have access to that shouldn’t they?
In America, if you're over 18, HIPAA prevents without student's consent from knowing if you are or have been ill so I doubt they have legal access to your grades (without the student’s consent, of course)!

Last edited by a moderator:
In America, if you're over 18, HIPAA prevents your parents from knowing if you are or have been ill so I doubt they have legal access to your grades (without your consent, of course)!

Speaking for my own family, the college student would share, if they wanted, their own college portal login with a parent to share info. Otherwise, the parent would have zero access. IMO

In America, if you're over 18, HIPAA prevents your parents from knowing if you are or have been ill so I doubt they have legal access to your grades (without your consent, of course)!

Students over 18 have to consent to allow their parents access to their grades, even if their parents are paying for their education. A bit ironic, no? It has been this way since my kids were in college 20 years ago.

Interesting! This must be region specific...where I'm at (CA, USA), any student 18 and over has complete educational rights, not the parents, regardless of who pays. Professors often would mention how parents would email/call them, but legally they could not share anything with them because their kids were 18+.

I wonder how it is in TX, anyone know? Above someone said this is a HIPPA thing, so that would be the entire US, right?

Interesting! This must be region specific...where I'm at (CA, USA), any student 18 and over has complete educational rights, not the parents, regardless of who pays. Professors often would mention how parents would email/call them, but legally they could not share anything with them because their kids were 18+.

I wonder how it is in TX, anyone know? Above someone said this is a HIPPA thing, so that would be the entire US, right?

Yes, it's federal and called FERPA. Even a parent is paying, the college legally can't share info with them unless the student has granted consent. There is a form students can fill out to allow that info to be shared (or the student can just choose to share the info with their parents themselves).

My source for this is that I teach some college courses. I will also link the FERPA website here, too: Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drena519