CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, Univ of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sep 2020 #2

I might be wrong, but I think the heavy fog was the problem with seeing for certain who exited, not blind spots? Usually it's easier? JMO.

I’ve never actually been there and for some reason I thought the cameras had parts that are obstructed. Thank you for clarifying. Makes more sense to me now. Just curious, are rescue teams always present as I saw in the documentary or are they not there when the bridge is closed to pedestrians? And Is it pretty easy to access during those times?

Quote RSBM.
It's also possible that is true. I don't know. The fog being significant is just my impression.
It is so sad that her family has to be in this position.

It's very sad, and it is a very difficult holiday season for her family, IMO. I'm praying for them as they experience their first Christmas without her. :(

I’ve never actually been there and for some reason I thought the cameras had parts that are obstructed. Thank you for clarifying. Makes more sense to me now. Just curious, are rescue teams always present as I saw in the documentary or are they not there when the bridge is closed to pedestrians? And Is it pretty easy to access during those times?

its known as fog city if that helps.

Lack of information in this case since the beginning.
I completely agree. There are also many unconfirmed details such as her potentially having a suicide attempt prior to her disappearance, and her dropping out of school a couple weeks into the semester. At this point it sadly seems as if she jumped off the bridge, especially now that we know the last place she was seen was the GGB. Can they do any under water searches? I struggled with this theory at first because I figured someone would see her but I do know San Francisco is really foggy...It’s just so confusing...

Can they do any under water searches?

I asked that once on a thread about the GG Bridge, and the answer is the water is too deep, too dark, and too difficult to narrow down exactly where to look, even with resources.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked that once on a thread about the GG Bridge, and the answer is the water is too deep, too dark, and too difficult to narrow down exactly where to look, even with resources.

Oh wow. That’s really good information thank you. That makes this search so much trickier...do you think it’s possible no one noticed her jump?

Oh wow. That’s really good information thank you. That makes this search so much trickier...do you think it’s possible no one noticed her jump?

It is possible. It's thought there are many victims who have jumped from the bridge over the years and not been seen.
It's so tragic and I believe more needs to be done to prevent it.
I still hope this case will have a happy ending, though.

That city is a perfect place to disappear, and the homeless population has grown huge !! This pandemic has been so bad for so many. Check out the prices of rent and purchasing homes there.
Praying for you Syd . And her family as well, for strength and comfort. MOO

It is possible. It's thought there are many victims who have jumped from the bridge over the years and not been seen.
It's so tragic and I believe more needs to be done to prevent it.
I still hope this case will have a happy ending, though.
That’s incredibly sad. It’s shocking that they haven’t found a way to block people from jumping...

That’s incredibly sad. It’s shocking that they haven’t found a way to block people from jumping...

well, it's not for a lack of trying. People (including one who survived a jump) have petitioned and advocated for a number of years to install barriers to deter or stop jumpers. Usually the opposition to that has been to question their effectiveness or that the aesthetic of the bridge's architecture would be impinged.

Right now they have suicide hotline phone at the start of the walkway with a sign urging them to not jump (something like "the consequences of jumping are fatal and irreversible" and "help is a call away")

well, it's not for a lack of trying. People (including one who survived a jump) have petitioned and advocated for a number of years to install barriers to deter or stop jumpers. Usually the opposition to that has been to question their effectiveness or that the aesthetic of the bridge's architecture would be impinged.

Right now they have suicide hotline phone at the start of the walkway with a sign urging them to not jump (something like "the consequences of jumping are fatal and irreversible" and "help is a call away")

The Suicide Deterrent Net System (SDNS) project for the GGB has been well underway for quite some time now, so while aesthetics may have been a point of opposition, it is not hindering the project. It’s an expensive project. Over $200 million dollars. Unfortunately, as a result, the projected completion date has been pushed out a few years as these things always seem to go...

I’m not sure if anyone noticed on the find_sydney_west Instagram page that her family posted two days ago saying that they received a tip/lead where someone said they saw Sydney within the past few days. I hope this is a legitimate tip and hopefully brings some comfort to the family that she is somewhere nearby alive and well.

Welcome Grinz! What a great couple of 1st posts. Hopefully Syd is somewhere alive & well, taking a breather. We could all use one 'bout now right???
Regardless, thanks for joining us Grinz...

The Suicide Deterrent Net System (SDNS) project for the GGB has been well underway for quite some time now, so while aesthetics may have been a point of opposition, it is not hindering the project. It’s an expensive project. Over $200 million dollars. Unfortunately, as a result, the projected completion date has been pushed out a few years as these things always seem to go...

True, I was saying in the past, there was opposition. I may have misstated/overstated the opposition a bit - it was also considered impossible from an engineering view, as well as extremely expensive. According to Wikipedia, the latest advocacy/lobbying started in 2005, and the proposal was approved in 2008, so perhaps the opposition wasn't as intense as I recalled. Current estimate for completion in 2023.

Yup! I saw on the Find Sydney West page that they received a tip a couple days ago from someone who believes they saw Sydney a day or two prior to sending in their tip. Their PI in San Francisco told them. Apparently they are getting leads and tips but none have panned out.

I attached a link to this post that was on the find Sydney west Instagram page.
Login • Instagram

There’s also officers who sometimes patrol the bridge on bikes and in carts looking for people who might be thinking about jumping (as well as surveillance cameras) and will take them off the bridge to get help if they are. Though they don’t always see everyone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaEvans52
Back