UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 *ARREST* #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of the bank, I believe there are 1 or 2 areas with steps down that were used by the rowing/canoe club. Its a long time since I have been around the particular area myself but seem to remember discussion and pictures much earlier on in the thread.

In terms of the bank, I believe there are 1 or 2 areas with steps down that were used by the rowing/canoe club. Its a long time since I have been around the particular area myself but seem to remember discussion and pictures much earlier on in the thread.

That's true, you're right. There's a set of concrete steps.

I suspect it was the security guy at the club who'd refused her entry.
I do as well. I think I'd have been the same at her age and have heard one of my own kids using similar language about a similar situation (without knowing I'd heard - they think I think they're tee total non swearing angels)

I do as well. I think I'd have been the same at her age and have heard one of my own kids using similar language about a similar situation (without knowing I'd heard - they think I think they're tee total non swearing angels)
Well, plus, it's embarassing and frustrating being told you're too drunk to be allowed to carry on having fun with your friends, so it makes sense that Libby would be rebelling against being delivered back home and unleashing her frustration on the cabbie.

For murder, as I understand (happy to be corrected!) They need to prove the intention was to kill or cause GBH which would likely result in possibility of death. The act of Rape on its own is not necessarily GBH, and the lack of proven injuries to her body make this difficult to argue.

Intention to murder can be inferred from the circumstantial evidence

In other words, a young healthy girl turns up dead in river after he stalked her, she was heard screaming, and he lied about it all.
-

Yes there seems to be a few areas that drop right into the river 20210113_174342.jpg

Well, plus, it's embarassing and frustrating being told you're too drunk to be allowed to carry on having fun with your friends, so it makes sense that Libby would be rebelling against being delivered back home and unleashing her frustration on the cabbie.

Might have been the bouncer who turned her away she was cursing about. JMO

He said Libby then got out of the taxi. He said: “She slid off the seat, onto the floor and pulled herself across the floor, unsteady on her feet, and walked to the gate of the property. I saw she had dirt or bruising on her thigh.
This is worrying. If she already had a bruise or 'the' bruise on her thigh at this stage, this could discount it having been caused during a later attack.

IMO this is already an open and shut case.

if the accused wanted to run the case that she had consensual sex with him and he left her there, and then she committed suicide, he needed to disclose this version in his interview. Not to mention his movements on the night.

The idea she put herself in the river is what we call wild speculations.

if the accused wanted to run the case that she had consensual sex with him and he left her there, and then she committed suicide, he needed to disclose this version in his interview. Not to mention his movements on the night.

I agree.

I just hope the defence don't try to use her past suicide attempts as some kind of defense.

This is the thing that is bothering me. The case seems pretty compelling to me, even from these opening remarks, but I’m worried that the defence will try to use her known difficulties to their advantage - something along the lines of she consented to sex because she’s promiscuous and impulsive and then regretted it and threw herself in the water because she’s mentally and emotionally unstable. To be clear, I really don’t think that would fly given what we know, but I don’t even want that kind of argument to be articulated.

Oof, this case, it’s painful.

This is worrying. If she already had a bruise or 'the' bruise on her thigh at this stage, this could discount it having been caused during a later attack.
I think the crucial bruise mentioned by the pathologist was on the inner thigh, and I really doubt a bruise in such a place would have been visible to the cabbie.

This is the thing that is bothering me. The case seems pretty compelling to me, even from these opening remarks, but I’m worried that the defence will try to use her known difficulties to their advantage - something along the lines of she consented to sex because she’s promiscuous and impulsive and then regretted it and threw herself in the water because she’s mentally and emotionally unstable. To be clear, I really don’t think that would fly given what we know, but I don’t even want that kind of argument to be articulated.

I would think the fact she had a very stable,happy relationship with her boyfriend would mean that there is absolutely no evidence to indicate she was in any way promiscuous. I have not seen one shred of evidence to say she was impulsive.
All the evidence showed at the time she was very involved in university life and was both emotional and mentally stable.

I agree, I think possibly the defence might go down this route which would be incredibly upsetting for Libbys family. But I think like you say the evidence that has been presented today is incredibly compelling and to me it quite clearly shows Libby was intoxicated and very sadly in the wrong place at the wrong time and he was prowling/stalking looking for an opportunity. I don't believe for one second she put herself in that water and hopefully it will come across to the Jury too.

I do wonder if the statements were to preempt any grubby attempts by the defence to use that.

My other concern had been that they'd try and use hypothermia as a cause of death so I was glad that that had been discounted early on - i.e. she was hypothermic therefore extremely vulnerable - but it was not a cause of death. Those were my two defence worries

I agree and the driving round earlier in the evening, the stalking her beforehand, the three trips to the park - including the bizarre one earlier in the evening plus the stuff in the boot the later activities in Newlands Avenue the *advertiser censored* accessed afterwards all help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member