Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yum! My husband is now a good shopper... he had a few hiccups in the beginning (the infamous strawberry fluff incident...a huge jar... he thought I liked it um maybe the regular when I was a kid?) he got a little hung up on sales then realized oh, we are only getting weird stuff, but it was hard to plan meals... then he started to think meals when he shopped and it is way better. He has had to take shopping over for the most part so glad he can do it well now.
Mmmmm fingerling potatoes....
My former husband went thru this too. There was a point he simply couldn’t understand why the grocery bill was so high. So I sent him to the store with a basic list. I told him to get what he wanted to make, then make it.

He came back with $150 worth of nothing. I just looked at him, shook my head and walked off. Needless to say, he started paying attention after I told him he was a marketer’s dream - he was swayed to buy by displays. Oh, and he forgot the coupons too. LOL!

During the holidays, Nino's always has bins of whole nuts (in shells) in the produce department. They order just enough for the holidays - (pre-Thanksgiving until early January), and when the nuts are gone, they're gone. Meijer seems to do the same thing, but they had whole walnuts and almonds for a couple weeks longer than Nino's. We were buying at least a pound every week as soon as they were available because we love feeding the squirrels nesting in oak trees behind our home. They are so cute and entertaining, and they seem to appreciate the nut supply. At the very least, they know which house to visit when they're hungry - LOL! We used up the last of the almonds yesterday and had squirrels here this morning expecting to be fed. Sorry, guys :D You'll have to wait a few days for whole walnuts (10 pounds) that DH found on an online source for bulk nuts. Supply should suffice for the remainder of the winter.

my squirrels get peanuts
the stores here carry peanuts in the shell all year

my squirrels get peanuts
the stores here carry peanuts in the shell all year

Peanut shells make a mess, and squirrels don't clean up after themselves :D Same with pistachios.

The walnuts that DH ordered over the weekend are on the UPS truck, out for delivery today. When the squirrels showed up earlier, we told them to come back later :)

My former husband went thru this too. There was a point he simply couldn’t understand why the grocery bill was so high. So I sent him to the store with a basic list. I told him to get what he wanted to make, then make it.

He came back with $150 worth of nothing. I just looked at him, shook my head and walked off. Needless to say, he started paying attention after I told him he was a marketer’s dream - he was swayed to buy by displays. Oh, and he forgot the coupons too. LOL!

I recall one really funny shopping mistake that DH made many moons ago. I did most of the grocery shopping, but there were times when I was so busy teaching, taking classes, etc. that I sometimes just didn't have time or energy to shop. I made lists for DH and hoped he would get exactly what I wanted. One time, I wrote Chiffon on the list indicating the soft spread butter substitute that we used at the time. DH came home with Chiffon dish liquid :D "Honey, I don't think we can spread this on toast!"

Peanut shells make a mess, and squirrels don't clean up after themselves :D Same with pistachios.

The walnuts that DH ordered over the weekend are on the UPS truck, out for delivery today. When the squirrels showed up earlier, we told them to come back later :)

how are walnuts less messy? do they bury them to rot?

Reactions: JDG
how are walnuts less messy? do they bury them to rot?

The squirrels eat some nuts "in the restaurant" and have others "to go" :D Walnut shells are larger than other shelled nuts and can be easily seen and picked up on the deck and patio. That's why we prefer walnuts to smaller nuts.

Last edited:
The squirrels eat some nuts and bury some. Walnut shells are larger than other shelled nuts and can be easily seen and picked up on the deck or patio. That's why we prefer walnuts to smaller nuts.

oh yeah ... I feed them in the backyard so no mess on the patio

Another Walmart question.

Put in another order, chose Pickup instead of delivery (silly me!).

Later noticed it says 'In Store' but I cannot see how to make it a delivery and now all the delivery spots are taken for tomorrow. (wanted this weeks prices ho hum)

Has anyone done InStore Pickup, is there a long lineup (we're back into a severe lockdown), long wait time...yes I have a time slot but dont want to stand in the freezing cold.

Also, dont want to enter the store, that's the whole point of pickup....although I should have chosen delivery. arghh

Is there a way to switch to delivery from pickup? I sure cannot see one. Thank you again.

Another Walmart question.

Put in another order, chose Pickup instead of delivery (silly me!).

Later noticed it says 'In Store' but I cannot see how to make it a delivery and now all the delivery spots are taken for tomorrow. (wanted this weeks prices ho hum)

Has anyone done InStore Pickup, is there a long lineup (we're back into a severe lockdown), long wait time...yes I have a time slot but dont want to stand in the freezing cold.

Also, dont want to enter the store, that's the whole point of pickup....although I should have chosen delivery. arghh

Is there a way to switch to delivery from pickup? I sure cannot see one. Thank you again.

I don't know if there is a way to switch. But pickup works well for us. You park in one of the designated spaces and call the number on the sign to tell them you are there. And then they bring out your order and put it in the trunk. Sometimes there's a bit of a wait, though, if they are busy.

I don’t think I have had Sams Club ground beef before. If I did, I don’t remember it. Anyway, in my food box was this 3 pack of 1 lb lean ground beef. 85/15 was on the label. I think that means less fat.

I thawed one, put it in the skillet and I had to add 2 teaspoons of olive oil so it would quit sticking. I use the “Green Pan” skillet which is white ceramic but it’s a few years old. Once it was done, I drained it on paper towels. Even with adding olive oil, it was not that greasy.

I mixed it with 3/4 can of Manwich sauce. I haven’t had that in years. It wasn’t near as messy as I remembered but probably because I didn’t use the entire can. I ate 2 sandwiches on buns. I am so full!!!

I don't know if there is a way to switch. But pickup works well for us. You park in one of the designated spaces and call the number on the sign to tell them you are there. And then they bring out your order and put it in the trunk. Sometimes there's a bit of a wait, though, if they are busy.

InStore would indicate that they do not bring it to your car.

I was expecting what you stated, contactless pickup; someone to toss it into the car for me.

It seems that I must enter the store but they're not answering and I am about to cancel the whole order if need be.

Ha, that is my husband. He thinks green onions, cilantro and cucumbers somehow magically makes enough for meals for two weeks. He was always saying he wanted "meat". I asked him when the last time he ever actually bought any "meat". He couldn't remember. Maybe some smokie links?

I would ask my first husband to shop. He would ask me why I never went to the store...like I just sat around and did nothing all day with a new baby, a two year old and a five year old. I told him to take the kids. He was home two hours later with a bag of groceries, completely random items. Good times.

Produce pick up today! We are swimming in yellow squash. I see squash casserole in my future.

I follow this recipe for the most part.
Yellow Squash Casserole

Neither of us like guava or papaya. My kid will leave it in the laundry room with a Free sign on it.

Attachments

• 0FBA2A92-AB88-40FD-98B1-0D4ADB16C4DA.jpeg
    0FBA2A92-AB88-40FD-98B1-0D4ADB16C4DA.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 34
InStore would indicate that they do not bring it to your car.

I was expecting what you stated, contactless pickup; someone to toss it into the car for me.

It seems that I must enter the store but they're not answering and I am about to cancel the whole order if need be.

I tried the pick up option and I LOVE IT! :D:D:D:D

They have taken over a part of another company, right behind the Walmart store.

There are eight dedicated spots, you phone the number on the sign and give them your order number and the groceries are brought to your car. Contactless pickup.

Why that isn't clear from the phone calls I do not know....but it was great service and very quick.

Unfortunately, I had photographed my order number on my phone, so had to get out of my car to give them my number. Next time, I will write it on a piece of paper and phone it in.

This is a wonderful service, esp. during the winter months when it can be extremely cold and the summer when its extremely hot and humid.

No lineups, a very short wait for pickup and the staff are friendly.

I think they've won me over!! :cool:

They have definitely won me over. We don’t have to phone them. I get an email saying my order is ready. It has a check in option that I use when I arrive and they are out with my order in minutes.

Do I need a 'data plan' on my iPhone to use that service?? I got the text but was not sure. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayana2cool4school