TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
This image was put together by Websleuther BatBrat during her development of animation to show what the perp’s body type is like once you strip away the clothes and account for the camera angle:

View attachment 285780

BatBrat is a medical/technical illustrator with years of expertise in Euclidean geometry and camera angles and parallax views, terms most of us don’t understand but which have to be taken into account to determine if the way someone looks in an image is the way they look in real life.

Here are pictures she took of the same model, one shot from up above and the other from eye level. Notice how much “bulk” is added to the perception of the model when shot from above.

View attachment 285781

It’s even more noticeable when you turn the above into silhouettes:

View attachment 285782

So to summarize, this perp is thinner than most people think. And according to police, shorter as well.
I agree on the camera angles.

And I'm sure it was discussed somewhere in the first 44 pages of this thread several years ago, but I wonder if the hallway cameras had fish-eye or wide angle lenses in them? Imo that would make the perp appear both heavier and shorter than they actually were.

Guys would bring tools in various pockets. Comfortable with that scenario too.
Plus IMO most women hold their arms differently when walking.
Be curious to hear what a body language expert says (or has said).
I don’t see a woman choosing this disguise either.
You know, like for Halloween most pick a costume of their alter-ego or fantasy.
Maybe -a wanna be- swat guy or L.E.

MOO

I was just about to post about Batbrat. Some of the posts that were made are on thread 34 and show the “green man” depiction that they made.
I’m still digging to find the members who DID infact do door measurements and the graphics that were used to show all of us the height that was determined. It was very precise (IMO) and I to this stand stand by the measurements Batbrat and others arrived at.
I did a little digging myself and found this communication between a person and BatBrat after the person measured:

okie_dokie

The problem is, they measured from the floor to the top of the trim and came up with 84 inches. The way you should do it - and the way BatBrat did it - is to measure to the UNDERSIDE of the trim because that is what is in line with the top of the door.

Standard door trim is 2.25 inches in width, although it can sometimes be as much as 3 inches:

https://www.hunker.com/12610493/the-standard-wood-trim-molding-sizes

If we assume the trim at Creekside is standard, then the doorframe height / top of door measurement is actually 84 inches minus 2.25 inches = 81.75 inches. So it would seem that BatBrat overshot her 5’10” height estimate for the killer by 2.25 inches at least. Why? Because she relied on people telling her that from floor to underside of trim was 84 inches, when it is really 81.75. That’s assuming that “okie dokie” accurately measured to the point they said they measured.

Last edited:
I agree on the camera angles.

And I'm sure it was discussed somewhere in the first 44 pages of this thread several years ago, but I wonder if the hallway cameras had fish-eye or wide angle lenses in them? Imo that would make the perp appear both heavier and shorter than they actually were.
I’m not sure of the proper way to copy or reference specific posts from previous threads. But if you go back to thread 35 and posts from 8/4/16, BatBrat responds to Gliving on this very subject. She says that she took the type of lens into account in her diagrams and calculations. So we should be covered there.

I did a little digging myself and found this communication between a person and BatBrat after the person measured:

okie_dokie

The problem is, they measured from the floor to the top of the trim and came up with 84 inches. The way you should do it - and the way BatBrat did it - is to measure to the UNDERSIDE of the trim because that is what is in line with the top of the door.

Standard door trim is 2.25 inches in width, although it can sometimes be as much as 3 inches:

https://www.hunker.com/12610493/the-standard-wood-trim-molding-sizes

If we assume the trim at Creekside is standard, then the doorframe height / top of door measurement is actually 84 inches minus 2.25 inches = 81.75 inches. So it would seem that BatBrat overshot her 5’10” height estimate for the killer by 2.25 inches at least. Why? Because she relied on people telling her that from floor to underside of trim was 84 inches, when it is really 81.75. That’s assuming that “okie dokie” accurately measured to the point they said they measured.
Thank you for posting this. There are several others I’m looking for from a specific member (s) and haven’t located them , yet.
I will post when I find them.

Guys would bring tools in various pockets. Comfortable with that scenario too.
Plus IMO most women hold their arms differently when walking.
Be curious to hear what a body language expert says (or has said).
You know, like for Halloween most pick a costume of their alter-ego or fantasy.
Maybe -a wanna be- swat guy or L.E.

MOO

Exactly, you wouldn't Normally see a woman choosing this disguise, so imo, this was a perfect preplanned disguise.

Saying this w/the belief that this is a woman.....

Hope i just made sense...it's still early...

Exactly, you wouldn't Normally see a woman choosing this disguise, so imo, this was a perfect preplanned disguise.
Though I agree with Beach Sky- the ominous Swat'ish disguise is just not something a woman would choose. Quite Time, however, raises the possibility that these are not normal times for the possibly female assailant.

In the end, there might be more than a disguise present. The victims was a Camp Gladiator trainer who also had an interest in MMA. As a result, she was far more formidable than nearly all women- and also more formidable than a certain number of guys.

Thus, the gear was could also be for protection. The gear would be comical if not associated with a murder. Even with the protective gear, the victim could probably fight off or escape from that particular assailant unless taken by complete surprise. But, enraged humans are not known for objective thinking nor for being fashionable.

And going perhaps too deep into psych.....

Actors and athletes describe mentally becoming their character or the ultimate athlete by putting on costumes or "gearing up". Boxer Deonatay Wilder describes psychologically becoming the merciless "Bronze Bomber". To aid in the transition, he enters wearing gladiator, predatory bird or galactic warrior "disguises".

Thus, the get up might be a disguise, and a source of protection, and a means to get "psyched up".

Last edited:
My thinking was that if this isn't imo something that a woman would normally choose for a disguise, may be someone chose it for her.
In other words..."here, wear this, they'll never guess it's you"...type of thing.

I also understand what you're saying too.

This thought just popped in my head. Do they know for sure that this SWAT garbed person was the only person there that morning?
Is it possible there two people there? Both people are there together but one is near the entrance(out of camera view) waiting for MB to arrive while the SWAT person casually kills time by wandering around breaking and vandalizing things.
I say this because the SWAT person has always, since the first time I saw the video, seemed a bit...challenged in some way. I have a hard time imagining them driving or getting themselves to the church just to play this silly game that ended so tragically. I just wonder whether they were there with the killer, and the killer just said something like “sure, you can wear your SWAT outfit” and once they got there “why don’t you walk around a little, see if you can get into some rooms or something” while they waited.
Crazy thoughts I know.

This thought just popped in my head. Do they know for sure that this SWAT garbed person was the only person there that morning?
Is it possible there two people there? Both people are there together but one is near the entrance(out of camera view) waiting for MB to arrive while the SWAT person casually kills time by wandering around breaking and vandalizing things.
I say this because the SWAT person has always, since the first time I saw the video, seemed a bit...challenged in some way. I have a hard time imagining them driving or getting themselves to the church just to play this silly game that ended so tragically. I just wonder whether they were there with the killer, and the killer just said something like “sure, you can wear your SWAT outfit” and once they got there “why don’t you walk around a little, see if you can get into some rooms or something” while they waited.
Crazy thoughts I know.
Police said in search warrants that the surveillance footage shows one perp and that it is the same perp throughout. If another perp had entered the building, it stands to reason that they would have been captured on camera at some point. That’s not to say that an accomplice wasn’t outside waiting, potentially.

• Jethro4WSWell-Known Member

How did you figure out the small hallway on the South side? Thanks

-Nin
    Which one do you mean? The one into the Sanctuary? If so, it is a long process that involved knowing where other things on the map must be located, so here goes.

There is a YouTube channel called CreeksideChurchVids. On that channel there are three very helpful videos that help determine the short hallway on the North side of the Sanctuary and the office layout and position, which combined with an enlarged screencap from the MPD video (the 20 second one) identify, show, and locate that hallway.

So, this came first.

The first video to watch is the one titled "Creekside Church's "Dad Day" Worship Intro Movie" (it is pretty good!). In that video at about the 30 second mark you see a guy come out a door in an alcove, cross the hall, and enter a room. While the camera is slightly angled, with respect to the door in Room 8, you can see that the person came straight across - they didn't have to change their direction to come into the room. So that means that there is a door directly across from a door in Room 8. From pictures inside of Room 8 it is known that there are only two doors on the North hallway (there is a door into the Kitchen in that room but that isn't important for this discussion). It can't be the Northeast most door because we would see the alcove that the guy came out of in the long MPD video (at the beginning) and with the camera angle in the "Dad Day" video we would see the East hall. So, it must be the other one. Which is positioned by counting the 2 foot ceiling tiles. in Room 8 to the door. The alcove is deep because the guy coming out of it fully opens the door and there is clearly room for another door length plus. Thus, I determined it to be 8 foot deep. The camera is off angle to show the door in the alcove and that is likely a 30 inch door plus the frame and since the shot shows some width beyond the door I determined the alcove to be 4 feet wide. The position of the second door in Room 8 is calculated by counting ceiling tiles it is at the 112 foot mark (or 76 feet down the North hallway).

Next, determining the office layout and where it was located.

The instructive video for this is the one titled "Rewind for March 11, 2012". All of what you need to see about the office layout happens in the first 15 seconds. First, the person with the camera turns toward their door which is on the left side of the room and the door is 1 foot from that wall. Going out the door you see a 4 foot wide hallway, 8 feet deep (I will get to that, in a bit) and a doorway (open) on the right. He turns left and you see a two foot wide space followed by a large window followed two feet later by a door in a 4 foot wide hallway that continues for some distance before a "bookcase" is seen and that hall turns left. The color of the rug is the color I used on the map. Now, I determined that short hall to the door is 8 foot because you have a large window and a door on the one side. It wouldn't be a functional room if it were less than 8 feet and there are no projections into the South hallway, so it must be all within the "office space". But it can't be much more than 8 feet because of how close the camera is to that door when you see it.

He then immediately turns left and aims the camera into the office.
    If you move along in the video a bit and take any screencap of it you can work out some dimensions. In particular, starting from the right, you see a two foot space followed by a 1 foot column. Then a space where there is a 3 foot board with a centered 2 foot calendar 1 foot from the post and 1 foot from the window (which we can see only partially). At least 9 feet plus a window. So, how big is this room? It is at least 12 feet considering the size of the windows if it were a single window.

From Google Earth measurements, and the County Tax CAD maps we can determine the building is 192 feet by 168 feet measured corner to corner. There are 3 foot eaves on each side. The taller inner sanctuary part is 120 by 196 and has 3 foot eaves all around it. Since the "outer" building abuts the inner building each side outside of the Sanctuary is 36 feet. So, we calculate. The South hall is 8 feet wide, the large window room is 8 feet and it is separated from another room by a 4 foot hall. That is 20 feet. 36 minus 20 is 16. So we have a 16 foot by at least 12 foot room with a window starting 9 feet from the east side of that room. We will determine (confirm) it is a double window later. Now, we also know that the large windowed room is at least this long.

So, how big is the Pastor's office (the one the person with the camera came out of)? That will be determined by a screencap from another video, along with Street View, to determine window positions and thus dimensions of that office. Also, we will be able to determine where the offices are located (they are on the South hallway).

The one titled "Rewind for January 22, 2012" was instrumental in knowing where the offices are located and where the Pastor's office is in particular. In that video you can see that he has a white board "easel" while he talks. At about the 50 second mark if you look just slightly above that white board you will see something move across the screen from right to left. It is very small but it is, in fact, an 18 wheeler heading northbound on 287. The angle that it moves and the distance away shows that office is far down on the South side. Also, that window you see is positioned 3 feet from the east wall of that room. It is the east wall because the window faces south and it is to the left of the couch.

There are pictures from inside the Dutch Double door room that show the signs on the wall at the West End of the South hallway which say "Church Offices" with an arrow. You can see these mounted on both sides of the hall in the MPD videos that show that hallway - they are the little brown rectangles up on the walls.

So, how to determine the position of the Pastor's office. First, we have a "complex" of offices that is 28 feet by 24 feet wide at least. Westward, a 4 foot hall, at least 12 foot room, followed by a 4 foot hall equals at least 20 feet. Remember, there is a door to the right of the Pastor's office so this can't be at that Southeast-most corner. On the outside of the South side we can determine the window layout and exact positions for most and "rough" positions for others (though rain down spouts help) counting the roof "slats".

We have a double window at the 4 foot mark (in the Dutch Double Door room). We know this because the roof supports for the Carport are two feet wide and this Carport extends into the building until it junctions at the South hall. So those supports are also at that end as well. This would be in the Dutch Double Door Room space, but from pictures of inside that room (the ones showing the direction to the offices) the west wall of that room is straight and that it is 3 feet from the wall (size of book case and items on it) to the Dutch Doors. Another picture from inside that room shows that the window is 1 ceiling tile from the west wall. Incidentally, double windows take up 6 feet of space (which can be determined in any room picture by counting tiles above them).

We then have a series of three single windows that are positioned by counting roof "slats" in relation to the end of the Dutch Double Door room double window. The first is 12 feet from the 1st double window. The next is 4 feet after this. And the third is 8 feet after the second window. Because of this placement we know that the 12+ foot office we determined earlier can't be associated with any of these windows, otherwise there would be another window in that office to the right of the one we see. So we know that the office space is further down the South side.

Next up is a series of 3 double windows positioned at 104, 122, and 136 feet. The first double window is 22 feet beyond the last single window. The second window is 12 feet after this. And the third is only 8 feet after the second. So, again we know that the 3rd double window can't be in the 16x16 office because there would be a second window to the right of the one we see as there is 9 feet of that wall visible. It can't be the second window because the second and third windows are only 8 feet apart. In the Pastor's room we know that there is 3 feet before the double window in that room and the double window is 6 feet wide that is, 9 feet needed. So we finally conclude that the first double window is in the 16x16 office and the second double window is in the Pastor's office.

At this point we have 9 feet, a 6 foot window, 12 foot space, a 6 foot window, and 3 feet or 36 feet that make up these two offices. We know the first office is 16. Therefore the Pastor's office is 20 feet wide. The start of the 16x16 office is the 95 foot mark (104-9) and ends at 111. The Pastor's office begins at 111 and ends at 131. The door in the Pastors office is 1 foot from the west wall, if you recall from earlier. The door of the Pastor's office and the door out of the office space is are aligned and are both at the 112 foot mark of the South side (or 76 feet down the South hallway). If you go all the way back to the beginning of this response the second door in Room 8 across from an alcove is also at the 112 foot mark.

It would make a lot of sense for the Pastor to easily get into the Sanctuary, particularly backstage, without having to go out of his way to do so. Thus I suspect the south hall also has an alcove and, in my opinion has been seen in the videos though you have to enlarge a screen cap (especially from the 20 second MPD released video of the South hall as it is brighter).

Here is an enlarged screen cap with the relevant markings.
  • Bringing this forward from page #24 thread 31.
    there is a plethora of valuable information discussed in this thread and one before and 2 after it. Pretty hard to bring all of it forward so posting for others to know where to go.
    layouts, measurements, etc are all discussed there.

Police said in search warrants that the surveillance footage shows one perp and that it is the same perp throughout. If another perp had entered the building, it stands to reason that they would have been captured on camera at some point. That’s not to say that an accomplice wasn’t outside waiting, potentially.

I guess my thought was, the murder itself was not caught on video(that I know of), so there must be some area near the entrance not covered by video where the murder took place. And I just wondered if someone else might have been there, and not roamed around.

My thought about trying to trace where the swat gear type clothing came from is partly due to this... I remember a case the murder of Leanne Tiernan in the UK I’m sure that her body was found with a dog collar or lead, the police managed to trace every person who ordered that type of lead and eventually found the perpetrator, they also managed to find that the cable ties found on the body originally were made for Royal Mail which at the time was part of the Parcelforce company which the perp John Taylor worked for.

I know it’s a long shot as all we’ve got is video footage not actual items of evidence,but how about taking a really close look at exactly what the perp is wearing, if it’s possible to find out where sells ‘police’ jackets just like that, how many were sold in that area and when. That’s pretty much what they did with Leanne’s case except obviously they had the actual items to compare. People forget sometimes that everything you buy leaves a footprint and can be traced back to you eventually.

I guess my thought was, the murder itself was not caught on video(that I know of), so there must be some area near the entrance not covered by video where the murder took place. And I just wondered if someone else might have been there, and not roamed around.
I understand what you are theorizing. How would that second person have gotten there, though? They would have come in with their partner and left with their partner, right? Or if they came in later, still they would have been on camera when they did come in. Unless we want to theorize something extremely unlikely such as perp 1 opening up the West entrance doors and letting perp 2 in, despite those doors being right there facing the highway with no cover. And then perp 2 would also have had to go out that way while perp 1 went out on the North side. None of that would really make any sense, IMHO.

Interesting observation, however the foot to body size ratio looks male. Those would be awfully big feet for a woman.
Reminded of the Yoga (Lululemon) shop murder (female murdered female co-worker) a variety of tools were used.. rbbm, imo.
Crime-scene-murder-weapons.jpg

https://www.crimescenecleanup.com/famous-crime-scenes-the-lululemon-murders/
Various tools used during the crime.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...-murder-case/2012/01/20/gIQAlzfsGQ_story.html
''After the murder, Norwood arranged the crime scene to support a coverup. She tracked size 14 sneakers through Murray’s blood to make it appear that a large man had attacked them, and then she tied herself up inside the store overnight.''

Last edited:
I understand what you are theorizing. How would that second person have gotten there, though? They would have come in with their partner and left with their partner, right? Or if they came in later, still they would have been on camera when they did come in. Unless we want to theorize something extremely unlikely such as perp 1 opening up the West entrance doors and letting perp 2 in, despite those doors being right there facing the highway with no cover. And then perp 2 would also have had to go out that way while perp 1 went out on the North side. None of that would really make any sense, IMHO.

I don’t know as much as a lot of y’all on this case and I’m sure I’m showing my ignorance , but just one more question and I’ll be quiet about it.
I thought that the SWAT person broke into the church through a window or something. That there was no video of that, LE just found where they had broken in. I guess that’s what I was thinking. But if I’m wrong, I’m wrong. It’s OK, thanks for the info!

I don’t know as much as a lot of y’all on this case and I’m sure I’m showing my ignorance , but just one more question and I’ll be quiet about it.
I thought that the SWAT person broke into the church through a window or something. That there was no video of that, LE just found where they had broken in. I guess that’s what I was thinking. But if I’m wrong, I’m wrong. It’s OK, thanks for the info!

I remember that also....I would swear there was a picture of the broken window in one of the news stories too......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu