Found Deceased TX - Alexis Sharkey, 26, Houston, 27 Nov 2020 #2 *suspect commits suicide*

<modsnip>

i wonder how many times the police talked to the husband? usually they are first to be suspected, especially since he was also the last known person to see her. but if he did do it wouldn't he have been quite obviously caught by now? have the police searched her house with warrants? did they investigate her phone? i thought they had video of her being dropped off (or the ability to see towards the general direction). wouldn't all that be figured out by now if it was someone well known and highly suspected by the police?

Last edited by a moderator:
Would the medical examiner be able to determine if AS was conscious when she was strangled?

I was doing some research to see if I could find an answer to this (haven't yet) but did find some interesting, although disturbing, facts.

Only eleven pounds of pressure placed on both carotid arteries for ten seconds is necessary to cause unconsciousness. However, if pressure is released immediately, consciousness will be regained within ten seconds. To completely close off the trachea, three times as much pressure (33 lbs.) is required.
Brain death will occur in 4 to 5 minutes, if strangulation persists.

Also note: Objective signs noted in strangulation victims include involuntary urination and defecation. (I bring this up because info for this case said she looked like she was 'fresh out of the shower clean' so she either didn't 'mess herself', or was actually showered clean as the eyewitness said she looked. )

Last, victims may have no visible injuries whatsoever

Depending on the method of strangulation being used, the suspect may be the only individual with visible injuries. For example, if the suspect is strangling the victim from behind and using a chokehold, the victim may protect herself by biting the suspect in the arm

Source: Microsoft Word - strangulation article.doc (ncdsv.org)

Last edited:
Trial experts debate time needed to kill by choking - Wolf said that although she has heard other pathologists offer opinions ranging from two to five minutes, she has never been aware of medical literature that supports those claims. She said that a number of factors -- including a person's sex, size and whether alcohol or drugs were ingested -- can cause variations on how long death would take.

Even 2 minutes is a very long time in my opinion. If the strangler just snapped in a heat of anger, you'd THINK it could take less than 2 minutes to snap out of it and let up.

Trial experts debate time needed to kill by choking - Baltimore Sun

Found on a Powerpoint presentation so looks like just talking points. I'm questioning what exactly the last sentence means if these are just a speaker's talking points. 15 seconds to.... needing cardiopulmonary resuscitation or the person will die? Brain death? Something else? Hard to tell.

“Point Of No Return”
• Asphyxiation becomes irreversible,
• Spontaneous breathing will not resume unless cardiopulmonary resuscitation and mechanical external life support measures are started – After about 4 minutes of sustained bilateral jugular compression
– Can happen faster with carotid obstruction, and has occurred as quickly as 15 seconds into a carotid compression “choke hold.”

Strangulation and Suffocation (napsa-now.org)

I was doing some research to see if I could find an answer to this (haven't yet) but did find some interesting, although disturbing, facts.

Only eleven pounds of pressure placed on both carotid arteries for ten seconds is necessary to cause unconsciousness. However, if pressure is released immediately, consciousness will be regained within ten seconds. To completely close off the trachea, three times as much pressure (33 lbs.) is required.
Brain death will occur in 4 to 5 minutes, if strangulation persists.

Also note: Objective signs noted in strangulation victims include involuntary urination and defecation. (I bring this up because info for this case said she looked like she was 'fresh out of the shower clean' so she either didn't 'mess herself', or was actually showered clean as the eyewitness said she looked. )

Last, victims may have no visible injuries whatsoever

Depending on the method of strangulation being used, the suspect may be the only individual with visible injuries. For example, if the suspect is strangling the victim from behind and using a chokehold, the victim may protect herself by biting the suspect in the arm

Source: Microsoft Word - strangulation article.doc (ncdsv.org)

...Plus it was reported to be raining that night: Could be reason she appeared wet and showered...

...Plus it was reported to be raining that night: Could be reason she appeared wet and showered...

I don't recall seeing any media saying she was wet when found. Could you post your source, please?

What I've seen is the statement from the city worker who found her. No mention of her being wet, just clean, like she "just got out of the tub". I believe what was unsaid in his comment is she wasn't muddied up like she had been thrown out of a car. Instead she was clean and delicately placed. (Underlined part is MOO of what likely was not said by the worker, it was implied in my opinion)

She looked like someone delicately placed her in the brush along the road.

"It plays back in my head every day. I constantly see her lying there. It plays back in my head," said Richardson. "It's like she just got out of the tub. Her body was clean. There was nothing on her body. Her body was clean."

Houston employee describes finding Alexis Sharkey's body

I don't recall seeing any media saying she was wet when found. Could you post your source, please?

What I've seen is the statement from the city worker who found her. No mention of her being wet, just clean, like she "just got out of the tub". I believe what was unsaid in his comment is she wasn't muddied up like she had been thrown out of a car. Instead she was clean and delicately placed. (Underlined part is MOO of what likely was not said by the worker, it was implied in my opinion)

She looked like someone delicately placed her in the brush along the road.

"It plays back in my head every day. I constantly see her lying there. It plays back in my head," said Richardson. "It's like she just got out of the tub. Her body was clean. There was nothing on her body. Her body was clean."

Houston employee describes finding Alexis Sharkey's body

It was pouring rain the morning she was found, and she was found nude, on the side of the road. Logic dictates, she was wet.

jmo

Maybe it is reasonable to infer that she was probably carried, and placed, there as opposed to being dragged there?

Although, I personally don't put much stock into the "right out of the tub", or whatever it was, comment. I guess all of the other bodies that this guy has found were much dirtier? Or he would expect a discarded body to be dirtier? From tv or movies?

I don't think it is safe to assume that she was "just out of the shower", or had been bathed post-mortem. I doubt she ever "looked" visably dirty in normal life. Even if she hadn't showered in a week, I doubt this guy's comment would have been anything resembling "she looked overdue for a shower."

As others have said, I think the comment was more about her not having mud on her, and her possibly having wet hair and skin from the rain.

Maybe it is reasonable to infer that she was probably carried, and placed, there as opposed to being dragged there?

Although, I personally don't put much stock into the "right out of the tub", or whatever it was, comment. I guess all of the other bodies that this guy has found were much dirtier? Or he would expect a discarded body to be dirtier? From tv or movies?

I don't think it is safe to assume that she was "just out of the shower", or had been bathed post-mortem. I doubt she ever "looked" visably dirty in normal life. Even if she hadn't showered in a week, I doubt this guy's comment would have been anything resembling "she looked overdue for a shower."

As others have said, I think the comment was more about her not having mud on her, and her possibly having wet hair and skin from the rain.
The poor guy probably expected a dead body to look very bruised/scratched and have many signs of violence. Apparently, Alexis didn't have obvious trauma to her body. Key-word being obvious.

i realize that LE likes to have their 'ducks in a row' before arresting a suspect. i believe they know who did it, but they just need that smoking gun to prove it. if they didn't know who did it, you would think they would be talking about it more, looking for public information and knowledge. they might be behind the scenes, who can say? i do hope she gets her justice though! she did not deserve such an undignified and brutal death!!

Reportedly, AS death a homicide and her cause of death determined as strangulation.

Unfortunately for homicide detectives and prosecutors, death by strangulation can leave very little physical and forensic evidence. Probable cause is required for both search warrants and an arrest.

To my knowledge, there's been no statement that authorities have a POI or suspect for AS murder so how can the public be clamoring for an arrest with insufficient evidence?

Important to remember that both the US Constitution and Texas Code of Criminal Procedure provide for only a set amount of time between the defendant's arraignment and their trial to begin.

I'm reminded of the 2018 murder of Maria Elena Guzman, CA-- where her husband was charged with her murder -- only to have the case against him dismissed midway through his trial when the prosecution rested.

As they do during the trial when the prosecution rests, the defense requested the case against the husband be dismissed for lack of evidence, and the court agreed.

This means even if the defendant confessed to the murder, or additional evidence linking the husband to Guzman's murder was made available, he can never be tried for his wife's death (i.e., double jeopardy).

This example illustrates why we often hear the phrase: the prosecution only gets one bite at the apple, and patience is golden.

How is justice served if a suspect arrested before there is solid evidence to convict them at trial?

Just imagine how awful for Ms. Guzman's family to know that her alleged murderer got away with killing her and they will never get justice. :eek:

Nope. I want a thorough investigation for AS and a plethora of sound evidence wrapped up with a bow delivered to the DA-- regardless of the weeks or months required. MOO

Mid-trial, judge dismisses case against Vista husband accused of killing his wife

Reportedly, AS death a homicide and her cause of death determined as strangulation.

Unfortunately for homicide detectives and prosecutors, death by strangulation can leave very little physical and forensic evidence. Probable cause is required for both search warrants and an arrest.

To my knowledge, there's been no statement that authorities have a POI or suspect for AS murder so how can the public be clamoring for an arrest with insufficient evidence?

Important to remember that both the US Constitution and Texas Code of Criminal Procedure provide for only a set amount of time between the defendant's arraignment and their trial to begin.

I'm reminded of the 2018 murder of Maria Elena Guzman, CA-- where her husband was charged with her murder -- only to have the case against him dismissed midway through his trial when the prosecution rested.

As they do during the trial when the prosecution rests, the defense requested the case against the husband be dismissed for lack of evidence, and the court agreed.

This means even if the defendant confessed to the murder, or additional evidence linking the husband to Guzman's murder was made available, he can never be tried for his wife's death (i.e., double jeopardy).

This example illustrates why we often hear the phrase: the prosecution only gets one bite at the apple, and patience is golden.

How is justice served if a suspect arrested before there is solid evidence to convict them at trial?

Just imagine how awful for Ms. Guzman's family to know that her alleged murderer got away with killing her and they will never get justice. :eek:

Nope. I want a thorough investigation for AS and a plethora of sound evidence wrapped up with a bow delivered to the DA-- regardless of the weeks or months required. MOO

Mid-trial, judge dismisses case against Vista husband accused of killing his wife
Seconded!.

Anyone know anything about hearsay law? and domestic violence exceptions, especially in Texas? @gitana1

I’m wondering if prosecutors would have trouble getting in testimony from a friend about what AS told her prior to her death.

I still think there must be a lot of other evidence in this day and age (cameras, phones, gps etc), but wondering about that piece.

This should be the first post in every single thread on WS!

We are impatient and want answers yesterday, but we are the same people that will be going bat guano crazy if a murderer gets off. I'm OBSESSED with the cases I follow and want every piece of evidence shown to me the second its found, but my logical side knows that is a horrible idea... We need to be patient. Mistakes are made in hastily completed investigations. Jmo and all that

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savethedryads
Back