Widespread power outages with several inches of snow in Texas and the US, Feb 2021

Q: Does homeowners insurance cover busted pipes?
A: Homeowners insurance does cover damage from busted pipes. The protection homeowners have is usually two-fold: first, insurers commonly explicitly cover damage that's caused by burst or ruptured pipes. Secondly, many policies reference power failures to say that as long as an offsite failure results in covered damages to property, the insurer will cover the loss. Water would be such a covered condition if it caused the pipes to burst.

Q: Why is the situation complicated in Texas?
A: Insurers do not cover damages that were caused by plumbing freezes unless the claimant took reasonable steps — like maintaining heat and turning off one's water — to prevent the situation from worsening.

“I’m sure there’s going to be litigation after this. With the insurance companies trying to define alongside the policyholder, what that reasonable action looks like,” said Andrew Hurst, LendingTree insurance expert. “The silver lining is that millions of people are going through the same thing. If your home suffers damage, you lose some property, chances are many Texans are experiencing the same thing. That means the insurance providers are going to have a protocol in place right now. This is not going to be a unique case.”

Q: Will backed up water pose a problem?
A: People also might experience problems if the water damage in their homes resulted from drain seepage or a sink backup. Without an endorsement — or add-on — for this type of damage, most providers explicitly exclude this type of damage from coverage.

You can adjust an endorsement based on how much property you have. So, if you have 10 thousand dollars worth of property, you could adjust for that. Or if you had 20 thousand dollars worth of property that you suspect may be in danger, you could cover that much. That way, you don’t have to pay more than you need to,” explained Hurst.

Q: What if there is flooding in my home?
A: Damage from flood water, including excess ground water, isn't coverable by a regular homeowners or renters insurance policy. A homeowner would need a separate flood insurance policy to claim damage on the effects of melting snow, for instance, discharging back into the home.

Q: What if my roof collapses?
A: Homeowners should be okay. Homeowners insurance does cover accidents if a policyholder's roof collapses. One reason that insurers may deny a claim would be if a claimant knew about structural decay or damage in the home prior to collapse. For example, if they were putting off repairs of a leaky roof or a defect that they otherwise found a way to live with. Under these circumstances, a policyholder might have a much harder time.

But what about renters when the pipes burst?
John Boriack, president of the Houston Apartment Association, said it comes down to whether or not folks had renter’s insurance.

“We had our maintenance teams working almost around the clock running from apartment to apartment trying to cap leaks off and mitigate damages and get services restored to residents as quickly as possible,” Boriack said.

“If you had damage, you need to file a claim through your renter’s insurance as quickly as possible to cover the damages to your personal property, contents inside your home,” Boriack said.

Make sure to document everything by taking pictures and video and keep receipts related to the incident.

Boriack said because of the widespread damage, insurance claims may take longer than usual.

“Nobody’s dealt with this level of claims before and this wave of claims,” Boriack said. “Everybody in Houston almost has this damage so insurance companies of course are going to be a little slower than normal process requests.”

He said a building’s structure like the pipes, walls and siding are covered by the property owners’ insurance.

“Renters are not responsible for covering the cost of repairing busted pipes in the ceiling or anything like that. They are responsible to report it to the management and we highly recommend that you do that quickly and in writing," Boriack said.

If you don’t have renter’s insurance, you may qualify for assistance from FEMA or local charities.

Boriack said if there’s a disagreement with the landlord as to who is responsible for the damage and fixing it, contact the Houston Apartment Association’s renter’s helpline.

FEMA will offer assistance after major declaration approved
The Federal Emergency Management Agency announced Saturday that residents who live in these 77 counties who suffered damage from the winter storm event can apply for disaster assistance.

If you have insurance and are applying for disaster assistance, you must also file a claim with your insurance company as soon as possible.

FEMA said by law, it can't duplicate benefits for losses covered by insurance. If insurance does not cover all your damage, you may be eligible for federal assistance. The fastest way to apply is online at www.disasterassistance.gov.

If you don't have internet access you can register by calling 800-621-3362 or TTY: 800-462-7585. The phone lines operate from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. CDT each day.
Are frozen pipes covered by homeowners or renters insurance? | khou.com

FEMA Region 6
@FEMARegion6

RUMOR CONTROL: There is a rumor circulating that
@fema
is giving $800 food vouchers in Texas.

This is false. We are not providing food vouchers. We are accepting applications for assistance if you live in the designated areas. Visit http://DisasterAssistance.gov to apply.

upload_2021-2-21_8-45-5.jpeg

Q: Does homeowners insurance cover busted pipes?
A: Homeowners insurance does cover damage from busted pipes. The protection homeowners have is usually two-fold: first, insurers commonly explicitly cover damage that's caused by burst or ruptured pipes. Secondly, many policies reference power failures to say that as long as an offsite failure results in covered damages to property, the insurer will cover the loss. Water would be such a covered condition if it caused the pipes to burst.

Q: Why is the situation complicated in Texas?
A: Insurers do not cover damages that were caused by plumbing freezes unless the claimant took reasonable steps — like maintaining heat and turning off one's water — to prevent the situation from worsening.

“I’m sure there’s going to be litigation after this. With the insurance companies trying to define alongside the policyholder, what that reasonable action looks like,” said Andrew Hurst, LendingTree insurance expert. “The silver lining is that millions of people are going through the same thing. If your home suffers damage, you lose some property, chances are many Texans are experiencing the same thing. That means the insurance providers are going to have a protocol in place right now. This is not going to be a unique case.”

Q: Will backed up water pose a problem?
A: People also might experience problems if the water damage in their homes resulted from drain seepage or a sink backup. Without an endorsement — or add-on — for this type of damage, most providers explicitly exclude this type of damage from coverage.

You can adjust an endorsement based on how much property you have. So, if you have 10 thousand dollars worth of property, you could adjust for that. Or if you had 20 thousand dollars worth of property that you suspect may be in danger, you could cover that much. That way, you don’t have to pay more than you need to,” explained Hurst.

Q: What if there is flooding in my home?
A: Damage from flood water, including excess ground water, isn't coverable by a regular homeowners or renters insurance policy. A homeowner would need a separate flood insurance policy to claim damage on the effects of melting snow, for instance, discharging back into the home.

Q: What if my roof collapses?
A: Homeowners should be okay. Homeowners insurance does cover accidents if a policyholder's roof collapses. One reason that insurers may deny a claim would be if a claimant knew about structural decay or damage in the home prior to collapse. For example, if they were putting off repairs of a leaky roof or a defect that they otherwise found a way to live with. Under these circumstances, a policyholder might have a much harder time.

But what about renters when the pipes burst?
John Boriack, president of the Houston Apartment Association, said it comes down to whether or not folks had renter’s insurance.

“We had our maintenance teams working almost around the clock running from apartment to apartment trying to cap leaks off and mitigate damages and get services restored to residents as quickly as possible,” Boriack said.

“If you had damage, you need to file a claim through your renter’s insurance as quickly as possible to cover the damages to your personal property, contents inside your home,” Boriack said.

Make sure to document everything by taking pictures and video and keep receipts related to the incident.

Boriack said because of the widespread damage, insurance claims may take longer than usual.

“Nobody’s dealt with this level of claims before and this wave of claims,” Boriack said. “Everybody in Houston almost has this damage so insurance companies of course are going to be a little slower than normal process requests.”

He said a building’s structure like the pipes, walls and siding are covered by the property owners’ insurance.

“Renters are not responsible for covering the cost of repairing busted pipes in the ceiling or anything like that. They are responsible to report it to the management and we highly recommend that you do that quickly and in writing," Boriack said.

If you don’t have renter’s insurance, you may qualify for assistance from FEMA or local charities.

Boriack said if there’s a disagreement with the landlord as to who is responsible for the damage and fixing it, contact the Houston Apartment Association’s renter’s helpline.

FEMA will offer assistance after major declaration approved
The Federal Emergency Management Agency announced Saturday that residents who live in these 77 counties who suffered damage from the winter storm event can apply for disaster assistance.

If you have insurance and are applying for disaster assistance, you must also file a claim with your insurance company as soon as possible.

FEMA said by law, it can't duplicate benefits for losses covered by insurance. If insurance does not cover all your damage, you may be eligible for federal assistance. The fastest way to apply is online at www.disasterassistance.gov.

If you don't have internet access you can register by calling 800-621-3362 or TTY: 800-462-7585. The phone lines operate from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. CDT each day.
Are frozen pipes covered by homeowners or renters insurance? | khou.com

FEMA Region 6
@FEMARegion6

RUMOR CONTROL: There is a rumor circulating that
@fema
is giving $800 food vouchers in Texas.

This is false. We are not providing food vouchers. We are accepting applications for assistance if you live in the designated areas. Visit http://DisasterAssistance.gov to apply.

View attachment 285374

Great information sharing, thanks. Years ago, my hood was in a DEEP freeze which was abnormal for my hood. My neighbor was on the other side of the world so prior to the freeze, I texted her and asked if they wanted me to get their water turned off. They said no.

Once the thaw came, I was awoken to another neighbor calling me to tell me that their two story house had water running out from above their garage door, and under their garage door into the street.

The issue happened upon thawing. (And learned that day there is a "thingy" to turn of water at the curb, and also, the FIRE department can be called and do such, which was done)

So sad how we learn from experience, and wonder how many had this happen after the thaw. Who knew. ('cept you folks who live up north?)

The major and only damage was done after the thawing out of the pipes. Which apparently went for over 10 hours overnight before we all noticed in the hood.

VIDEO IN THIS ARTICLE OF THE RESCUE - HARROWING

Dog rescued after falling through ice on frozen Texas pond

upload_2021-2-21_22-36-18.png

Southlake DPS - Photo of rescued dog Shadow wrapped in blanket and then back to normal. Scroll down, in comment section.
11049640_845495155522475_5100728093624364601_n.jpg

Last edited:
North Texans Get Creative and Stay Warm Amidst Power Outages and Brutal Cold

Houston_Energy_AP.602d22d0a035d.png

Jorge Sanhueza-Lyon stands on his kitchen counter to warm his feet over his gas stove Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2021, in Austin, Texas.

ff5381da-8414-45bb-af5b-c3a07519f5a8.jpeg

Arica Devroy REALTOR
While the kid plays outside, I melt snow inside so we can flush toilets! The struggle is real!

ef53f05b-a5e8-4b29-ba53-3bd72d6cae62-e1613522213144.jpg

Eric and Dawn scott, St. Louis. Good
afternoon! My husband pulled out the cast iron pan and made lunch!! A little fire and the right pans and you got it!

Barry-Meringdol-1-1.jpg

Barry Meringdol
Had to improvise in Terrell Texas for heat
Barry-Meringdol-2-1.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-22_3-28-49.png
    upload_2021-2-22_3-28-49.png
    489.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Incredible! Wish it was here, beats the Stuckey's I used to stop at.
Sliced-brisket sandwich and blocks of fudge sliced for you how delightful.

Suspected hypothermia deaths in homes mount in Texas

With the snow and ice clearing in Texas after the electricity was cut to millions as temperatures plunged, people are being found who likely froze to death as they struggled to stay warm in their unheated homes
  • c76da2e47746988a98bd0878afb0dfe1
    • afc15be5fa7562254b064607f134c1e2
    • Winter Weather Freezing to Death
      FILE - In this Feb. 16, 2021 file photo, Morgan Handley, left, helps move people to a warming shelter at Travis Park Methodist Church to help escape sub-freezing temperatures, in San Antonio.

Stuckey's! My high school band would always stop there for our long, long band trips to go to football games.

Last edited:
Almost makes me think that things like power, water and health care shouldn't be profit-making businesses. IMO
stuckeys_king_george_va1-600x381.jpg

Texans blindsided by massive electric bills await details of Gov. Greg Abbott's promised relief
Karen%20Knox%20-%20High%20Bills%20ST%20TT%2003.jpg

Karen Knox lost power during the crisis but still owes some $7,000 to an electricity provider located in Houston.
Where is the Texan poster who said that her power bill used to be $1000 dollars a month but since derugulation is $150 a month?

Griddy came to Texas to disrupt the power market, but can it survive being shaken?

Pineda family attorney Anthony Buzbee told CNN the lawsuit is the first of seven that will filed.

"I think it's pretty ironic, here we are in the energy capital of the country, in a state that claims its energy independence and we have people dying in their homes because they don't have power in the fourth largest city in the country. It's unfathomable," Buzbee said.
Lawsuit alleges Texas boy died of hypothermia after power went out in his mobile home

*wow...input Texas weather lawsuit into Google news and select for just the last 24 hours and see how many different files lawsuits. I can only imagine how many for the last week and next week. And the week after that. Rinse. Repeat. Our Texans sure have been in a nightmare. I’m so sorry to all of you that are affected. You’re our neighbor and we care about y’all.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back