Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #93

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I just don’t get why some teachers seem to think they’re more important and worthy of protecting themselves than anyone else. We cannot function as a society if we all shelter in place at home for a year or two or more.

New Report Shows Just How Hard 2020 Was On America's Kids

One in four kids hasn’t had access to remote learning
The report estimated that, nationwide, at least 25% of children have not always had access to the tools they needed for remote learning, whether that be reliable internet, a computer or device ― or both. And children living in rural areas tended to be the most disconnected, the researchers said.

But students must be able to connect in order to keep up with their schoolwork. Roughly one year into the pandemic, less than half of K-12 children in the U.S. are in school, in-person full-time. Just over 30% are still fully remote, while 26% are doing hybrid learning, which may require them to access materials or classes online during their remote days.

This was yesterday, video and slides are up.

Overview

This COCA Call will give clinicians an overview of the J&J Janssen COVID-19 vaccine. Clinicians will learn about vaccine characteristics and administration, vaccinating special populations, and contraindications. They will also get answers to a number of clinical questions CDC has received about this new vaccine.

Webinar March 2, 2021 - What Clinicians Need to Know About Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine is video

Slide deck is at https://emergency.cdc.gov/coca/ppt/2021/030221_slide.pdf

108 illegal immigrants released by Border Patrol in Texas test positive for coronavirus, officials say
Texas city says it doesn't have authority to prevent migrants who test positive from traveling elsewhere

Migrant families who tested positive and spoke to that news organization at the bus station said they were waiting to travel to places such as Maryland and New Jersey.

108 illegal immigrants released by Border Patrol in Texas test positive for coronavirus, officials say

I know I'm not in the minority, but I have a junior student (straight A since 3rd grade) absolutely struggling with "remote learning". In quotes because it's far from learning … it's submitting handfuls of assignments before 11:59pm. But not to worry, if you don't get it submitted by then, they give you another week to turn it in. And then again at the end of the grading period, all for full credit. I wish I was kidding. :( There mayyyy be a video by the teacher once a week, about 10 minutes worth of instructing, otherwise it's links to various y-tubes on the subject topic. Once assignments are submitted, it takes weeks to receive a grade back.

Our state closed school March 13, 2020 … and reopened September 8, 2020 IF your county was in green status on their chart. Our county didn't open for their full 5 day instruction until October 12th. They attended 15 days that month, went the first 4 days in November then our county had too many cases that put them in an orange status, therefore closing the schools. They didn't open back until January 19th, 2021. Between then and today, they've attended 19 days. That's 38 days of school from September to March. And it's not even been consecutive. We've had 2 major ice storms and flooding in there as well that's closed schools. It's been so back and forth, it's no wondering my child, as well as many others are struggling. And not to mention the social aspect of all this! In the middle of a pandemic, my child asked to look for a job, somewhere he could be around peers and have social interaction which he thrives off of, so he started working for a major grocery chain in our area. Which has done wonders for his social game, but his education is severely lacking.

Simply put, it's just not working here and in many, many other areas. Our schools need to open back up fully as well as our businesses. I have hope that my state will follow suit with FL, TX and MS.
I could not agree more. Thankfully, my kids are in private school so they’ve been in school since august and that’s been the best blessing! But it’s literally been a year. Kids need to be in school. We need to start moving forward. I think what FL, TX and MS are doing is the right thing and hoping other states will follow (although I could literally put money on the ones who won’t).

I know I'm not in the minority, but I have a junior student (straight A since 3rd grade) absolutely struggling with "remote learning". In quotes because it's far from learning … it's submitting handfuls of assignments before 11:59pm. But not to worry, if you don't get it submitted by then, they give you another week to turn it in. And then again at the end of the grading period, all for full credit. I wish I was kidding. :( There mayyyy be a video by the teacher once a week, about 10 minutes worth of instructing, otherwise it's links to various y-tubes on the subject topic. Once assignments are submitted, it takes weeks to receive a grade back.

Our state closed school March 13, 2020 … and reopened September 8, 2020 IF your county was in green status on their chart. Our county didn't open for their full 5 day instruction until October 12th. They attended 15 days that month, went the first 4 days in November then our county had too many cases that put them in an orange status, therefore closing the schools. They didn't open back until January 19th, 2021. Between then and today, they've attended 19 days. That's 38 days of school from September to March. And it's not even been consecutive. We've had 2 major ice storms and flooding in there as well that's closed schools. It's been so back and forth, it's no wondering my child, as well as many others are struggling. And not to mention the social aspect of all this! In the middle of a pandemic, my child asked to look for a job, somewhere he could be around peers and have social interaction which he thrives off of, so he started working for a major grocery chain in our area. Which has done wonders for his social game, but his education is severely lacking.

Simply put, it's just not working here and in many, many other areas. Our schools need to open back up fully as well as our businesses. I have hope that my state will follow suit with FL, TX and MS.
I'm so sorry! My heart breaks for your son and all the others having to deal with school like this. We have been incredibly lucky that my son (1oth grade) has been back in school in-person full time since the beginning of the school year (we live in FL). He had remote learning when they closed schools after spring break last year and he did not like it at all. I'm not sure how he would be doing (academically or mentally) if he had been unable to go in-person this year. I know they say kids are "resilient" but they are still human. My daughter is in college and she has been lucky that up until this semester she has had at least 2 classes each semester in person. This semester, though, she has all online and for some of the classes they are basically teaching themselves. In one class she has never seen or spoken to the teacher. Needless to say, this semester has been a struggle for her. She lives at home so she doesn't get much peer interaction. Fortunately, the university just announced that they plan to return to on-campus classes in the fall. Fingers crossed.

Sending you and your son big hugs.

Oooooo school stuff. I have a lot of thoughts that are probably best left unsaid right now. :confused: Maybe another day lol.
It’s been a long year for sure. Same storm different boats and all that. It’ll GET better. It has to:rolleyes: Right?
Be safe y’all or ...not I guess :cool:
Oh eta glad to see so many WSers getting the vax as they can. :D Wtg peeps.

This (Rbbm:))
I can agree with this 1000%

I could not agree more. Thankfully, my kids are in private school so they’ve been in school since august and that’s been the best blessing! But it’s literally been a year. Kids need to be in school. We need to start moving forward. I think what FL, TX and MS are doing is the right thing and hoping other states will follow (although I could literally put money on the ones who won’t).

Gov. Says He Has ‘No Plans' to Lift Massachusetts Mask Mandate
More
Gov. Charlie Baker said Wednesday that he has "no plans at this point" to change Massachusetts' mask mandate, even as other states like Texas and Mississippi have decided to lift their restrictions altogether.
"We have no plans at this point in time to change the rules with respect to the mask mandate," he said.

Education commissioner seeks emergency authority over learning models
More
In another sign of the push to return to traditional in-person schooling, the state Board of Education is scheduled to vote Friday on emergency regulations granting the state education commissioner authority to determine when hybrid and remote models will no longer count towards required student learning time hours, the State House News Service reported.

"If adopted, they will result in more students returning to full-time, in-person learning with appropriate school-based mitigation measures in place, as COVID-19 health indicators continue to improve," Education Commissioner Jeff Riley wrote in a memo to members of the Board of Education on Wednesday.

Under the proposed regulations, if Riley were to conclude, after consulting with state health officials and medical experts, that students may safely attend classes in an in-person setting then, "after providing written notice to the Board, I may notify districts that they may no longer use hybrid or remote learning models to meet the minimum school year and structured learning time requirements set forth in the regulations," according to the memo.

CDC guidelines suggest only one Massachusetts county should reopen schools | Boston.com
more
Gov. Charlie Baker’s administration is moving to force school districts in Massachusetts to resume full-time in-person learning for elementary students next month.

But according to guidelines released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the vast majority of the state isn’t ready.

An analysis released Tuesday by The New York Times found that only one county in Massachusetts — rural Franklin County — has low enough COVID-19 incidence rates to meet the CDC’s criteria for fully reopening elementary schools. Based on the CDC’s school reopening guidelines, elementary schools in the rest of the state should be in a hybrid learning model.

Franklin County was also the only Massachusetts county with low enough COVID-19 rates for full-time in-person instruction in middle and high schools, based on the CDC’s guidelines. Berkshire County had low enough rates for hybrid learning in middle and high schools, while every other county in Massachusetts should be fully remote for older students, according to the analysis.

Mass vaccination sites offer significantly fewer appointments for first doses next week
More
When new appointments for Massachusetts' seven mass vaccination sites are posted on Thursday, the majority will be reserved for patients who need a second dose. Only about 12,000 slots will be available for first-dose appointments.
Last week, approximately 50,000 first-dose appointments were posted and all were "nearly filled" within 90 minutes of their release.

Interesting how 'selective' this current administration is ... about what gatherings are "safe"; as opposed to super spreader events such as restaurants, churches, and schools deemed to be 'too dangerous'.
Allowing thousands of criminals aka 'illegal aliens' to run amuck within our borders, no 'vetting', no anything.
The hypocrisy is sickening.
Imo.

Are you watching their COVID rates, though? I agree schools need to open, but the states with plans to open pre-K through 2 are doing the smarter thing, IMO (if I were asked, I'd say K-4 can open way more safely).

At the school where my granddaughters would be going, air circulation has been deemed by experts to be virtually zero in the classroom. They have managed to get the air management system up to par in the cafeteria only. So, while the school is open, 2/3rds of the parents elected not to send their children to school, because it would mean that they themselves would have to quarantine every time another kid got COVID (they were seeing 1-2 cases per week in the first months after opening - so those classes and teachers had to quarantine).

And of course, the parents who are knowledgeable aren't really happy about the odds of their kids getting COVID. The ventilation problems need to be addressed, nationwide.

California's got the lowest positivity rate that it's had since the pandemic began. Texas had 50% more new cases yesterday than California did - and its population is 11 million less. Texas's death rates are not exactly ones to emulate (same as California's - but again, with considerably fewer people). Texas is coming up on 2000 deaths per 1 million population.

Texas's numbers have been going up (14 day rolling average) for the past few days and I predict they will go much higher due to the decreased mask wearing.

I guess I don't get why a governor would remove the mask mandate at the same time he wants schools to open. Makes absolutely no sense.

Texas is a state where COVID rates are higher and staying high - and there's a reason.

Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count

ITA !!!!!!
To travel legally to Australia or England you'd have to spend time in quarantine.
But not if you're an illegal alien/criminal.
Crazy.
MOO.

Are we requiring travelers to the U.S. to quarantine when they arrive here and test positive? Are we testing travelers to the U.S. at this time? Do we put people who live here and test positive in quarantine hotels? I know we ask them to quarantine, but do we know that they do?

ITA !!!!!!
To travel legally to Australia or England you'd have to spend time in quarantine.
But not if you're an illegal alien/criminal.
Crazy.
MOO.

Sorry to say, that's what happens when a country doesn't have mandatory, enforced quarantine for anybody.
Migrants are included in the 'anybody' category due to antidiscrimination.

Romero said the positive individuals were advised to quarantine, but officials don't have the authority to force them to do so or to stop them from traveling elsewhere in the US.
'The migrants who test positive at the B-Metro facility are advised of quarantine procedures and are asked to socially distance.'

A worker at a bus company that operates out of the station where the tests are being performed told NTI that they are not allowed to ask passengers for proof of results before boarding.

Covid US: 108 migrants tested positive before being released into Texas | Daily Mail Online

US nursing homes see 82% decline in COVID-19 cases since vaccines began

https://nypost.com/2021/03/02/us-nu...cline-in-covid-19-cases-after-vaccines-began/

Coronavirus vaccination efforts kicked off in the US in mid-December with nursing home residents and staffers among the first prioritized.

Nursing homes in the United States have seen a huge drop in new COVID-19 cases this year — suggesting that coronavirus vaccines are working, a report released Tuesday said.

There was a dramatic 82 percent decline in new cases among US nursing home residents since the peak during the week of Dec. 20, according to the report by the American Health Care Association and National Center for Assisted Living.

That week, there were more than 33,000 new cases and on Feb. 7, just 6,077 cases were recorded.

By comparison, COVID-19 cases in the general population dropped by just 46 percent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member