Found Deceased PA - Nicole Ebaugh, 29, missing from park, Springfield Twp, 6 Mar 2021

I've been on this trail. York county has some really nice county parks, they are maintained well. Agree it would be very difficult to get lost. Most of the trail is at least 4 feet wide and the whole thing is smooth enough that bikes and scooters are a breeze. I'm wondering if the cell phone was left in the car before she journeyed onto the trail. I'm concerned, this is a well used trail. If I fell on or was slightly off this trail, someone would hear me yell the same day, esp on a weekend IMO. I'm hoping this is not the case here, but the last missing person nearby (that I'm aware of) was later found in that trail's (also a county park) lake Man missing for three weeks found dead in Lake Redman

This is so scary.

I walk (alone) near the river in my city almost daily but the number of WS threads of women disappearing from trails/parks on their walks lately has been really unsettling.

I am curious about the phone trace referenced above. Did they find her phone in the VW? Is it now turned off?

I never walk alone anymore -- I've seen too many women attacked and/or killed in daylight hours -- in my area and in other areas of the country. A solitary walk is what I prefer -- I talk to myself, yes, I do(!) and enjoy it, but no more solitary walks for me. I do most of my walking in malls or big stores now. I don't talk to myself in those areas, however...

The discovery of her car puts me on pins & needles. I'm hoping for the best for her, but this worries me a lot.

This is concerning. We have similar rail trails here and they are straight with no off-shoots and basically impossible to get lost. On a nice weekend day, they can be pretty busy with runners, walkers, and bikers, depending what stretch you are on- some trailheads are busier than others. From the Google Earth image above, it does look like it could be a bit isolated if not many people were there at that time.

I have a hard time imagining her getting lost. Injured? Well, wouldn't she be right on the trail if injured, and therefore, found pretty quickly? The other options would be left on her own accord. If that happened, I would guess she met up with someone there to run away with them. She wouldn't get far without her car. I would think they could use cell records to see if she had recently communicated with anyone.

That to me leaves foul play. I know they haven't found evidence of a crime yet, but let's say she was just arriving or getting ready to leave. A car is parked next to hers, she may be distracted shutting off a run tracking app on her phone, etc., and it only takes a second for someone to lunge out of a car, grab her, pull her in and they are out of there. Just MOO
Exactly. So why would LE say there is no danger to the public?

Her clothing is very distinctive. Hopefully that helps.

Maybe they’re confident about there being no danger to the public because they have information pointing to a specific state of mind before she disappeared.

Suicide has not been mentioned, but it can't be ruled out.
Sorry to say, but when I read "no danger to the public," it jumped into my head. I don't think that's what we've got here, but the "no danger..." wording made me pause.

I never walk alone anymore -- I've seen too many women attacked and/or killed in daylight hours -- in my area and in other areas of the country. A solitary walk is what I prefer -- I talk to myself, yes, I do(!) and enjoy it, but no more solitary walks for me. I do most of my walking in malls or big stores now. I don't talk to myself in those areas, however...

The discovery of her car puts me on pins & needles. I'm hoping for the best for her, but this worries me a lot.

Ditto save for the talking to myself, but I walk city streets. Then again with the earbud thingies alot of folks seem to be chatting up themselves.

Praying Nicole is safe.

Upthread somebody mentioned broad daylight and abduction. I beg to differ especially in wooded areas. Not that I think this for Nicole,but it happens too often.

Sorry to say, but when I read "no danger to the public," it jumped into my head. I don't think that's what we've got here, but the "no danger..." wording made me pause.

I live close to where she went missing and have a connection to the agencies that are looking for her. They have not disclosed everything to the public. Knowing the rules to this board, I'm not sure what else I can say 'off the record', but keep praying that she is found quickly.

MAR 8, 2021
MISSING YORK COUNTY WOMAN: Police searching near hiking trail (wgal.com)
[...]

Police say Nicole Elizabeth Ebaugh, 29, was last seen in the area of Heritage Rail Trail County Park at the Glatfelters Station Road Parking Area between 10:45 a.m. and 12:45 p.m. Saturday.

[...]

The Pennsylvania State Police along with the assistance of the South-Central PA Search and Rescue, Search and Rescue Dogs of PA, Seven Valley Fire Department and other agencies are currently searching for her.

[...]

Article updated MAR 8, 2021
Police: Woman missing, was last seen near Heritage Rail Trail (yorkdispatch.com)
1abf84cb-06fd-43a1-99ea-2ac493faa053-210308_BK_ebaugh_search_1.jpg

Search Unit #66 of Lebanon members JL and BG, left, climb an embankment near the Glatfelters Station parking lot for the York County Heritage Trail Monday, March 8, 2021. State Police and searchers gathered there to search for Nicole Elizabeth Ebaugh, 29, who was last seen near the lot on Saturday. Bill Kalina photo

Last edited:
I live close to where she went missing and have a connection to the agencies that are looking for her. They have not disclosed everything to the public. Knowing the rules to this board, I'm not sure what else I can say 'off the record', but keep praying that she is found quickly.

Thank you for your post. It’s at least good to know the police have more to go on.

MAR 8, 2021
Search ends for missing York County woman with no success | WHP (local21news.com)
[...]

Unfortunately, Nicole Ebaugh still remains missing...

[...]

Over the past two days, 150 volunteers took to the ground with dogs scouring every inch of a half mile radius around Glatfelter Station. To this point, no sign of Ebaugh. Today, Pennsylvania State Police brought horses and helicopters to aid in the search.

But, the substantial part of the search happened on foot. The South-Central Pennsylvania Search and Rescue team organized the efforts. Battling hilly, rugged terrain, searchers say ending the day without a sign of the missing person is devastating.

“Today, we did not have that success and so we all walk out of here today with that emptiness, almost like a family member because we have really busted our backside trying to find that person and give 100%,” Timmer said.

[...]

Searchers spent almost eight hours today combing every nook and cranny in this area which includes hills, marsh and open fields. At this point, it’s unknown if searching will continue tomorrow.

[...]

MAR 8, 2021
Search ends for missing York County woman with no success | WHP (local21news.com)
[...]

Unfortunately, Nicole Ebaugh still remains missing...

[...]

Over the past two days, 150 volunteers took to the ground with dogs scouring every inch of a half mile radius around Glatfelter Station. To this point, no sign of Ebaugh. Today, Pennsylvania State Police brought horses and helicopters to aid in the search.

But, the substantial part of the search happened on foot. The South-Central Pennsylvania Search and Rescue team organized the efforts. Battling hilly, rugged terrain, searchers say ending the day without a sign of the missing person is devastating.

“Today, we did not have that success and so we all walk out of here today with that emptiness, almost like a family member because we have really busted our backside trying to find that person and give 100%,” Timmer said.

[...]

Searchers spent almost eight hours today combing every nook and cranny in this area which includes hills, marsh and open fields. At this point, it’s unknown if searching will continue tomorrow.

[...]
Where could she be? Those bike/rail trails are out and back sort of paths. There aren't normally many places to stray from the path, unless going out at a different station.

The tunnels are kind of scary (been through a few on other similar trails) and often require a flashlight. Still, they are a straight line through. However, I do remember there being a route over the top of the one we hiked through on the Cumberland Trail. It would have taken longer than walking through the tunnel. Is that the case here I wonder? I saw tunnels along the trail not far from where she left her car.

Also, how deep is the water that the trail follows? Snow melt could have caused it to be deeper.

As for the ping of her cellphone in the parking lot-did she leave it behind in her car perhaps?

Last edited:
Where could she be? Those bike/rail trails are out and back sort of paths. There aren't normally many places to stray from the path, unless going out at a different station.

The tunnels are kind of scary (been through a few on other similar trails) and often require a flashlight. Still, they are a straight line through. However, I do remember there being a route over the top of the one we hiked though on the Cumberland Trail. It would have taken longer than walking through the tunnel. Is that the case here I wonder? I saw tunnels along the trail not far from where she left her car.

Also, how deep is the water that the trail follows? Snow melt could have caused it to be deeper.

As for the ping of her cellphone in the parking lot-did she leave it behind in her car perhaps?

The tunnel on the Heritage rail trail is not long. You can see from one side to the other. I have not been there since last year, but the creek varies in size from one area to another. I don't remember it being real deep.
I'm not convinced she ever entered the trail. Perhaps she met with someone, voluntarily or otherwise while waiting in her car. MOO

MAR 8, 2021
Police on foot, horseback and by helicopter search for missing York County woman who vanished near trail - pennlive.com
[...]

... Police did not say whether they recovered her phone.

Ebaugh’s sister posted on Facebook Monday that her sister had been staying with her family.

[...]

Police have said they don’t have evidence that Ebaugh’s disappearance was due to suspicious or criminal circumstances, but they have not elaborated on what that means.

Do they have information or evidence that suggests it’s not criminal? Or do they have no evidence or indications either way, so they’re being cautious? It’s unclear.

Police also haven’t explained why her last sighting was a two-hour window, between 10:45 a.m. and 12:45 p.m. Saturday and why that could not be narrowed down. Police have released a surveillance image that appears to be from a parking lot showing Ebaugh wearing dark pants with a white stripe and a black and white checkered jacket, which was the coat she was believed to be wearing when she went missing.

Another surveillance image released by police appears to come from a store, but police have not said when or where that photo was taken.

[...]

I had the same reaction to the "no danger" comment. I think of Leanne Bearden often.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarellano5280
Back