Coronavirus Vaccine: Would you/did you get it?

If you were offered the Pfizer vaccine in the next 30 days would you take it?

• Yes

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The adults in my household are vaccinated. We’re going into stores now (masked, and I add glasses as well). SARS/MERS vaccines were under development pre-covid, so we all felt ok getting this vaccine.

My concern is now that vaccinated adults could infect my kids - we don’t know what the virus can do in 20yrs. HPV, for example, is linked to later head/neck & cervical cancers. HIV increases risk of several rare cancers as well. I’m more worried about a virus-caused cancer than MIS-C, simply because it’s such a new and unstudied virus.

OK, if you live in the US, we've never had an outbreak of SARS. We came close, but we somehow dodged it. ( dumb luck, IMO).

You mention your children being exposed to people with COVID and maybe it will cause cancer. COVID is a coronavirus, and your children have had MANY other coronaviruses in the form of " colds" and upper respiratory infections. We all have, we simply lacked immunity to the mutant strain that was unleashed on the world.
It was not containable, as we well know now, but on its own, in the " wild", is not an exceptionally harmful virus. One day, we may not need anything but a yearly booster with our annual flu shot.

I'd like to point out that your children could be at risk from one strain of influenza one year. It mutates in masse every year, starting in Asia. We can't stop Influenza, but we CAN vaccinate against it and if there isn't total immunity, then the case can be lessened by the antiviral medications.

Whether you decide your children get HPV vaccines is up to you. I do not think a vaccine made from killed viral cells can cause illness. We learned this the hard way with early vaccines 70 years ago, although none of us were probably alive to see the first Smallpox vaccines or influenza vaccines.

Teach your children how not to get HIV/ AIDS. Parents have a responsibility to teach about safe sex and there's no shortcut. What was true in 1980's teaching is true for 2021, except that there IS a post- exposure injection that can be given which decreases the chance of getting HIV infection. It has to be given early after possible exposure via any route.

We can do THOUSANDS of things to protect adults and children. Hepatitis kills. There are now vaccines against most major types of Hepatitis, and drugs to eradicate the more rare types.

Adolescents need a Meningitis vaccine, then a booster. I've seen teens die in ICU of bacterial Meningitis. It is truly horrible and eye- opening. My child got vaccinated and the booster at the appropriate age.

Remember, most of all, a person can't complain about disability or severe illness from diseases if they didn't avail themselves of the life saving vaccines. We don't force anyone to get vaccinated unless they are entering the US military, as I understand it.

Last edited:
Hi, MimosaMornings.
I can tell you that North Texas, the DFW extended area, is just ON FIRE with vaccines, with cell calls for vaccines, with emails and texts for vaccines!!

I made several appointments, not knowing who'd get their COVID vaccine supplies first. I've had my choice of " truly local in my small town with WONDERFUL staff via our many EMS/ Paramedic personnel in the county and city", 3 messages to go to Fort Worth ( well, Arlington, also in Tarrant Co) where they have turned the major sports outdoor stadium into a drive through vaccination center in one's car, and also many calls for appointments in Dallas, also a huge stay in your car and drive through vaccination site. The people doing the screenings and the actual vaccinations are nurses or Paramedics. People qualified to give an injection and gauge any side effects and treat if possible.

Our news from Dallas and Fort Worth indicates that Texas is cooking with gas and all the areas, rural to major city, are getting all the vaccines they asked for and can use, and are vaccinating as many people as have appointments every single day.
( I expect there are also some walk ups who hope to get one dose that's a leftover. It's said that people who are kind of street people are showing up without appointments, and I'd expect them to be given a spare, sterile fresh dose and not be turned away at all).

YAY, TEXAS!!! GO AND SERVE!!! ( I put my years in, now it's a younger generation's turn).

*~*~*~ GOD BLESS THE USA*~*~*~*~*~*
That’s awesome!!
Sounds like that area made a plan and was able to get it together successfully!

My husband, who's in his early 50's and has NO chronic illnesses, and no co-morbidities which push a person up the line for a vaccine, IS getting his vaccine at 1:30 this afternoon. He got a mobile text and call to notify him of his same- day appointment. They are clearly making last minute plans when they get new supplies of vaccine. This is AMAZING that he's getting his vaccine so soon.
I need to make sure he knows to take the vaccine, whether it's Pfizer, Moderna, or Janssen ( Johnson and Johnson single dose only). Edited to add: The newspaper says the facility I went to, that he's also going to is still administering Moderna vaccines. I've talked to him about serious adverse reactions on the scene, and those which are less serious but should be reported. What he can expect in the next few days, and how it's so much like with the annual flu vaccines for my body's response.

He's so happy he stopped work ( via computer) to come into another part of the house far away from his computer station/ desk and tell me.
He doesn't want me to have to go with him...Big strong healthy man!

I'm SO proud of him. I'd have died so long ago if he hadn't taken up the slack and done and gone since I've been too sick with the pulmonary complications from COVID to do shopping and other things. He knew I wouldn't go to the hospital when I was so sick, so he carried me into the doctor's office. ( They are without wheelchairs, duh).

He took care of me when I had no clue what day or week or month it was. He helped me check my O2 sats and pulse rates. My husband is my rock, and I'm SO HAPPY he's getting his first part of protection with his first vaccine today!!

God bless my precious husband, and take care of him while I can't today. I love him so!!

Last edited:
Hurrah I just bookedMr HKP's jab for tomorrow, I'm so pleased! Appointments have just been released here in the UK for over 55s. It's 10 mins away in our local town, in the odeon cinema complex where my parents had theirs. Will most likely be Zeneca.

My take from being a fully vaccinated person now?
I just don't believe that I can live a life like I did before Covid, yet.
As a restaurant owner in Southern California, I think our customers will feel the same.
That revelation does not bode well for us. Or, thousands of other small businesses.
I Hope that I am the only one still paranoid?
For all the suffering small business owners and people around our world suffering from this curse of a virus.

Kali, I thought I would respond to you as a restaurant owner. Mr Pirate and I are fully vaccinated. We intend to begin visiting restaurants immediately. Michigan has a mask mandate and 50 percent occupancy and we are comfortable with it. I wish you well and wish I could come to your restaurant one day!

So I thought I would send a little update on my situation. I am a month past my second vaccine and Mr. Pirate is 10 days. We are both so relieved to vaccinated and now will get back to life again. For the first time in a year we are having the kids and the grand babies over for dinner inside tomorrow. It is a dream come true. Our other grandkids have the green light and will be visiting this weekend. March 16th is my mom's birthday. My parents are fully vaccinated so we are going to have a real in person birthday party. All of these indoor things are separate and not multi family parties. Two families at a time. Personally for us, we are comfortable indoors with family without a mask. And so are they.

I feel like the past year I have given all I had to this virus. Everything dear to me was distanced, removed or stopped. From family to work to recreation. I am ready to put this behind me. I know that there are many that still need a vaccine and I hope they are able to get one very soon.

It is a very personal thing in terms of comfort level in return to life. I will happily wear a mask around anyone that wishes. Michigan has a mask mandate so stores, restaurants and indoor recreation require it.

For us, it is time. I will always take this virus seriously and respect others views 100 percent! But we both agreed that given our confidence in our Pfizer vaccine, our low risk status and our mental health we are moving back into life totally and respectfully to those not vaccinated.

I will say, it is a very strange feeling. But I am confident in the protection the vaccine gives us and the risk level of getting covid VS any other thing that could happen now.

Just to be clear this is all my own personal opinion and given very respectfully.

Monday I got notified 3 different ways, call, text and email for today’s vaccine event
Extremely well organized at local fairground building.
Moderna received and couldn’t have been more excited!
All of the many volunteers made it run like clockwork and all seemed to be happily there helping

I've been fully vaccinated now. So have my Dad, stepdad and wife, oldest daughter (works in a hospital in NC), and aunts and uncles.

Today my husband and younger daughter (asthma) are getting their first doses. I recently read that Texas overall is not doing well in comparison with other states, but I concur with SeekingJana that North Texas seems to be going full blast with getting people vaccinated. My younger D's live-in bf has to travel for work (planes), so once she is fully vaccinated and has passed her date for full immunity, I will indulge myself in a huge sigh of relief!

It’s very frustrating here in AL. The media is full of stories that the vaccine is not getting to people, that they aren’t making appointments to get them. It makes me so angry. I just want to shake my fist and shout,” open the vaccines up to the people that want them and we will get them!”

So happy for everyone getting their vaccines! Question for those that can input: How did you finally make/get your appointment and how long did it take etc? I'm qualified as of next Monday, and need to learn how to be proactive vs. waiting for a call.

TIA

ETA: I just made my appointment for Monday morning! I looked at 10 different sites (Kroger/Publix/Sams/Walmart/ CVS/Walgreens/ my county etc etc...all full) and the 11th one... bingo. Yeah! It was through a site in the county next to mine... about a 10 mile drive. Yippeeeeeee!

Last edited:
At first, in AL you had to make an appt through the health Dept. it was a total cluster with very few getting through on the overwhelmed phone line. Then a local hospital started offering them with registration online. I registered DH. They emailed me back about two weeks later with his appointment time. It was very smooth. Drive through in their parking garage. They def have it together, unlike the state.

So happy for everyone getting their vaccines! Question for those that can input: How did you finally make/get your appointment and how long did it take etc? I'm qualified as of next Monday, and need to learn how to be proactive vs. waiting for a call.

TIA

ETA: I just made my appointment for Monday morning! I looked at 10 different sites (Kroger/Publix/Sams/Walmart/ CVS/Walgreens/ my county etc etc...all full) and the 11th one... bingo. Yeah! It was through a site in the county next to mine... about a 10 mile drive. Yippeeeeeee!

Yippee indeed!

The two states which are under-performing on a statewide basis are currently: Alabama and Georgia.
I've lived in both states. I'm not a bit surprised.

TEXAS ROCKS AND ROLLS!!! ALL the huge sports stadiums and arenas are open for people to get their COVID vaccines without getting out of their vehicles or to walk gently ( or in a WC) on great floors without thresholds and steps.

Our large sports complexes are also being utilized so well. Sure, they put protective flooring on the court floors indoors, but it's no impediment as we simply have a wider perimeter to travel with huge tape Xs in between each person. Way over 6 ft for safety.

Texas takes care of its PEOPLE FIRST!!! I love my new home state forever!! :)

Good luck to all. I care that every state is utilizing resources and getting their vaccines in, using them properly and protecting everyone!
Try really hard to register with your county, township or area State Department of Public Health.
That place we call " the Health Department". They are coordinating the area hub distributions as state mandates. It's what they were created to do.
AFAIK, they include the drug store locations with vaccines as well. ALL the vaccines count the same. :)

BBM

The chart in this article shows Texas not to be doing well at all in comparison to other states. In fact, Texas looks horrible. It hasn't been my personal experience, and people I know in North Texas seem to be getting the vaccine now if they want it, but in fairness, this should be mentioned. Maybe we are falling way short in rural areas, I don't know.

Source for the chart is the CDC.

See How the Vaccine Rollout Is Going in Your State

BBM

The chart in this article shows Texas not to be doing well at all in comparison to other states. In fact, Texas looks horrible. It hasn't been my personal experience, and people I know in North Texas seem to be getting the vaccine now if they want it, but in fairness, this should be mentioned. Maybe we are falling way short in rural areas, I don't know.

Falling way short in counties that don’t have huge sports stadiums or massive convention centers. Especially those in south Texas (excluding Houston of course) coastal counties.
JMO

BBM

I deleted a long and proper response to your post about Texas and vaccinations.

I'd like you to go to your huge green shaded map and look at the LAND MASS in TEXAS.
I'm too angry to respond with all salient points, but if you lived in a state with the land mass of what 3 other states has, don't you think it might be making a huge difference?

Also, there are huge and deep areas of " Good Old Boys" who will be anti-vaxxer conspiracists forever. They will die of some disease for lack or preventative care, if not COVID, then the next mass outbreak of a viral or bacterial infection.

Those two factors can't be changed. The borders aren't going to shrink, and militants are not going to change their minds, most likely.

I live in a county which is " city adjacent" but is designated as more "rural" because the degreed professionals drive to the DFW area and live 3o miles away in a different county which is full of beautiful natural area of lakes, rivers, and recreational areas in our many private communities. I do not believe that the emergency response hub in my city could have possibly been any more swift or any better organized for the population it serves.

I'm proud of Texas's response and effort to combat COVID as both an advanced practice Registered Nurse and a Behavioral Psychologist.

Next time you're in the area, try to drive either from an east or west Texas state border to the opposite border in ONE DAY or North to South in A DAY. Then you'll understand massive.

I won't be discussing this topic again. It's truly getting ridiculous as Texas IS doing great work, and we have a coordinated COVID response team in Texas which is working long hard hours to rollout new vaccine hubs in rural areas. However many there are, they can't get vaccinated the people who don't want to participate.
Last word on the subject.

Last edited:
I agree. My 31 yr old daughter is a preschool teacher and qualifies to get a vaccine because she is. When I asked her yesterday if she is getting one, her reply was,” well, I’m not real sure about these shots....” my 41 year old son cautioned me not to get the vaccine Bill Gates researched because he wants my DNA for his data bank...I know these are well educated, otherwise intelligent adults. They make me want to pound my head....I raised them better.

2 1/2 days post 2nd Pfizer vaccination:
(I had side effects of a headache, feeling depleted/tired, random dizziness)

I have turned the corner!
I expect to wake up tomorrow my regular glorious self;)
How long did the random dizziness last? I’ve been having some dizziness but I take several meds that can occasionally cause it, but seeing your post I realized maybe it’s a side effect. I got my first dose (Pfizer) last Wednesday. The dizziness isn’t bad and only lasts a few seconds, mostly when I first sit up preparing to stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard