Found Deceased UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London - Clapham Common area, 3 March 2021 *Arrests* #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think there is a 'huge' backlog. Court work has been ongoing throughout the pandemic.

There is absolutely a huge backlog. There always was but it's been made worse by Covid19.

This case is of particular public interest so will be listed as early as is convenient for the prosecution and defence.

<snip>

I am now assuming the Crown case is more than strong enough that there is no thought of bail.

Also clearly the accused is not 'fessing up

a) I doubt the defence would oppose bail, because of risk of vigilante action JMO. I don't think it's a reflection of the strength of the case (which has yet to be presented)

b) no plea was expected at this hearing

10:24
Date set for Wayne Couzens' next court appearance
A date has been set for Wayne Couzens to appear at the Old Bailey for a plea and trial preparation hearing.

At this hearing, he will be asked to plea to the charges he faces of murder and kidnap.

A date has fixed for July 9, 2021.

Jamie Phillips reporting for MyLondon
Updates as Wayne Couzens appears in court charged with murder of Sarah Everard

Last edited:
Thanks. I‘m not British, but in my country your fingerprints are taken when you get a passport. That is why I assumed that they must have her finger prints.
Thanks - It's interesting how different countries do things, might be a good idea if they did it in the uk but there would be an uproar!!

I've got to ask, why do you think there is a backlog of cases? Trials have continued to happen throughout the pandemic. There was a case I was following last year - the offence was committed in May and the trial took place at the end of October (I think). That was also a murder case also involving a PO.

Edited to add link to case

UK - Constable arrested in murder of Claire Parry, 41, near Bournemouth; she died 10 May 2020

Urgent action is needed to tackle an “unprecedented backlog” of court cases built up in England and Wales during the pandemic that has “severe implications” for victims, the four justice chief inspectors have warned

loads of articles saying the system is totally backlogged.

Case backlog threatens criminal justice system in England and Wales, say inspectors

Covid and the courts: 'Grave concerns' for justice, warn watchdogs

Courts backlog 'tipping point' for justice system

Hello all, new member here.
I'm not quite caught up yet, but almost.

I have been following this thread since number 3 and would like to thank everyone for their insights.

Like many others, this is haunting me and I can't get it out of my mind, I feel sorely for everyone affected.

Particular thank you to LL for the insights she gave, brave and difficult, especially when you are experiencing something like this in real time so close to home.

So I have a million theories in my head but none which haven't already been said, so I won't go into that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think so.

Louise Smith (case is in here) was murdered in May last year and found guilty and then sentenced in December, during the pandemic

eta : GUILTY - UK - Louise Smith, 16, Havant, Hampshire, 8 May 2020 *Arrest*

Coronavirus: Cut jury size to clear courts backlog - Labour

The backlog of unheard cases reached a record high in January (54,000 cases) but grave cases will not be delayed. It's only tangential to what happened to Sarah, as it does not really tell us anything about the case other than how much importance the judiciary is attaching to need for prompt trial

Fiona Hamilton
@Fhamiltontimes

PC Wayne Couzens plea hearing over alleged kidnapping and murder of Sarah Everard is fixed for July 9

3:25 AM · Mar 16, 2021

Fiona Hamilton
@Fhamiltontimes

PC Wayne Couzens, accused of the murder and kidnapping of Sarah Everard, sits with head bowed as provisional trial date set for October 25. Trial up to four weeks

3:13 AM · Mar 16, 2021·

Fiona Hamilton
@Fhamiltontimes

Metropolitan police officer Wayne Couzens, accused of the kidnapping and murder of Sarah Everard, currently appearing at the Old Bailey. He is wearing a tracksuit and has two cuts on his head [he went to hospital twice last week for head injuries in cell]

3:11 AM · Mar 16, 2021

Coronavirus: Cut jury size to clear courts backlog - Labour

The backlog of unheard cases reached a record high in January (54,000 cases) but grave cases will not be delayed. It's only tangential to what happened to Sarah, as it does not really tell us anything about the case other than how much importance the judiciary is attaching to need for prompt trial

Agreed. JMO but I don’t see that they are bouncing murder trials to make way for this one

10:36 KEY EVENT

The key dates from today's hearing

Two key dates have been set following today's hearing at the Old Bailey.

Wayne Couzens has been remanded in custody to appear at the same court for a trial and preparation hearing on July 9, 2021. At this hearing, he will be asked to plea on the murder and kidnap of Sarah Everard.

A provisional trial date has been set for October 25, 2021.

Rebecca Barry
@BeccaBarry

Court heard that on 3rd March Wayne Couzens had finished his shift earlier that day - in the morning before Sarah Everard went missing

3:32 AM · Mar 16, 2021 from City of London, London

Rebecca Barry
@BeccaBarry

Provisional trial date set - 25th October 2021 at the Old Bailey #SarahEverard

3:29 AM · Mar 16, 2021 from City of London, London

Rebecca Barry
@BeccaBarry

There appears to be a small injury on the top of Wayne Couzen’s head. We know last week he was twice taken to hospital for treatment of head injuries

3:14 AM · Mar 16, 2021 from City of London, London

Rebecca Barry
@BeccaBarry

He is sitting with his head bowed and hands held between his knees, as the prosecution discusses details of the case #SarahEverard

3:08 AM · Mar 16, 2021 from City of London, London

Rebecca Barry
@BeccaBarry

Wayne Couzens, the police officer accused of murdering Sarah Everard, is appearing via video link at the Old Bailey. He’s wearing a red sweatshirt and grey jogging bottoms

3:06 AM · Mar 16, 2021 from City of London, London·

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member