MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #6 - Chauvin Trial Day 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I see parts of these videos quite differently to many of you. I am seeing a highly distressed man (for an unknown reason at this point in the trial) acting erratically and ultimately resisting arrest. I'm not sure what I would have done to de-escalate tbh - maybe just let him sit on the sidewalk instead of trying to force him in the car I guess...

I think Chauvin's actions are different though for sure. Not all of the officers on scene are fully culpable IMO. There are reasons why the arrest was difficult that weren't the officers fault.

I understand defence bringing up to many of the witnesses that they were only on scene for short time of the whole incident.

The bodycam footage from Officer Lane shows for the majority of the time he was not kneeling GF. He states "I'm just concerned about airway". About what drugs he was on. He wanted to roll GF over. I think it may be Chauvin that resisted those calls?

IMO from what we have seen via body cam footage Chauvin and Thao escalated this situation dramatically upon their arrival. Don't believe any of this would have happened had it been Lane and the other officer dealing with GF.

Lane seems concerned about vitals and even suggests moving him to his side, to which Chauvin blatantly ignores.

How Thao 'controls' the crowd in my opinion is 101 of what not to do.

cathyrusson
·
1h
#DerekChauvinTrial - From pool reporter
@BuckEsq
- #GeorgeFloyd's brother Rodney Floyd is in court representing the family today. His jaw clenches, shakes his head, he watches the video for a little while, turns his head and looks away.
@LawCrimeNetwork

1h
#DerekChauvinTrial - This break has extended longer than the judge anticipated. Before the break the judge told the jury attorneys would be working during the break to "streamline" some upcoming testimony.
·
1h
#DerekChauvinTrial - Court is back in session. State calls their next witness.
·
1h
#DerekChauvinTrial - Lt. James Rugel, MPD. He manages the technology unit, body cam, etc...

I’m pretty sure if I was in that situation and was reeling with anxiety and being scared I would resist too. I don’t think he’s actually resisting to cause harm, he’s resisting because he’s scared to death. JMO. In my eyes, I wonder if he was so scared because he felt the situation was bad and he felt something was going to happen. I’m pretty good at feelings, and I was almost robbed at work a few months ago and luckily I was able to have someone stay with me while the guys got freaked out and left since I was no longer alone. This is why they say trust your instincts. Maybe GF felt all along this was gonna be the outcome, and he was panicked!

1h
#DerekChauvinTrial - Jury just saw some CCTV footage from the cam on the corner of the Speedway building (shown as lower cam in this pic)
@cathyrusson
·
1h
#DerekChauvinTrial - Now talking about MPD body camera policy. Officers to wear at all time, engage camera when interacting with the public. The first 30 seconds is always without audio.
·
53m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Now seeing body cam footage from former ofc. Lane. Maurice Hall and Shawanda Hill were in the car with #GeorgeFloyd when the police approached.
@LawCrimeNetwork
43m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Chauvin's body worn camera has fallen to the ground during the encounter.

Exhibit 1: Map
Exhibit 11: Video taken from camera across the street
Exhibit 17: Photo of DC/his knee on George Floyd’s neck
Exhibit 20: Williams’ 911 call
Exhibit 24- GH’s cell video
Exhibit 25- GH’s 911 call
Exhibits 26, 27, 28- 3 videos taken by minor with her friend’s phone
Exhibit 49- Officer Thao’s body cam footage
Exhibit 184- Photo showing bystanders/witnesses

IMO from what we have seen via body cam footage Chauvin and Thao escalated this situation dramatically upon their arrival. Don't believe any of this would have happened had it been Lane and the other officer dealing with GF.

Lane seems concerned about vitals and even suggests moving him to his side, to which Chauvin blatantly ignores.

Officers lane and kueng were literally newbies and then the “supposed” experienced officers turned up and the rest is history.

The whole thing is just so sad as to me it could have been avoided jmo xx

I hope that George Floyd becomes someone our grandkids will learn about in history class. I hope that May 25th 2020 will be remembered as the day that sparked change around the world. I hope that the only name remembered from this in years to come is GF. There are some disgusting comments circulating online and it makes me feel ashamed to be human sometimes but then you hear the testimony of those witnesses and realise good people do exist.
I’m off to bed, beyond angry tonight. I hadn’t ever seen that footage before and I don’t ever want to again. Poor George. He seemed like a gentle giant to me, he didn’t deserve to die like that.

Agreed!

Lane and Keung were assertive and cursing at GF but I don’t think it would’ve escalated to where it did with just them. It is very clear that Chauvin and Tao were just hostile. And since Chauvin is the senior officer they all deferred to him - that was the other key component in all of this! Deference. Chain of command.

I’m pretty sure if I was in that situation and was reeling with anxiety and being scared I would resist too. I don’t think he’s actually resisting to cause harm, he’s resisting because he’s scared to death. JMO. In my eyes, I wonder if he was so scared because he felt the situation was bad and he felt something was going to happen. I’m pretty good at feelings, and I was almost robbed at work a few months ago and luckily I was able to have someone stay with me while the guys got freaked out and left since I was no longer alone. This is why they say trust your instincts. Maybe GF felt all along this was gonna be the outcome, and he was panicked!

I am sure I heard him say as least twice he was going to die or be killed

The more I watch it the more I feel like he was scared and not resisting in the strict sense of that word. I feel like there was drug addict bias on the part of the officers that made them contemptuous towards him and maybe devalue him as a person. He’s frothing at the mouth. They found the pipe. He’s erratic and emotional. JMO.

Tao asking “what do you want?” irks my soul so much.

I couldn’t watch all of it, but saw as they were attempting to, then pushing George into the car. His fear appeared sincere to me, he seemed terrified. I don’t care why, whether it was drug-induced, from past experience, whatever. It doesn’t matter. They got him on the ground. Why was it necessary to knee his neck until he died?

It wasn’t!

And the “mob” (sarcasm!) was yelling at the cops because a man was being killed. Needlessly. What a sick **** DC must be. I wonder how he sleeps.

Q for those who watched the various cams...was Chauvin first on the scene or did he arrive second and take over? TIA.

Last edited:
@cathyrusson
·
38m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Lane's body cam footage shows Chauvin & Kueng on top of #GeorgeFloyd
·
35m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Now seeing Kueng's body cam footage then they get #GeorgeFloyd out of his car.
35m
#DerekChauvinTrial - #GeorgeFloyd: "I don't want no problems. I didn't do nothing.

27m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Jurors have been watching different views/videos of the last moments of #GeorgeFloyd's life over the last 2 days. This morning
@BuckEsq
observed a few wouldn't look at the video playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993