MN - George Floyd, 46, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 **Media & Timeline - NO DISCUSSION

Exhibit 1: Map
Exhibit 17: Photo of DC/his knee on George Floyd’s neck
Exhibit 24- GH’s cell video (seen at 6:34 below)
Exhibit 25- GH’s 911 call (heard at 6:39 below)

GH Testimony - 6:40

Last edited:
(Updated)

Exhibit 11: Video taken from camera taken across the street
Exhibit 20: Williams’ 911 call
Exhibit 24- GH’s cell video
Exhibit 25- GH’s 911 call

NYT
Witnesses Describe Frustration and Fear as They Watched George Floyd Struggle

USA TODAY
Derek Chauvin trial live: Emotional testimony from Darnella Frazier

NPR
Firefighter Testifies: 'I Was Desperate To Help ... And This Human Was Denied That'

'It Wasn't Right,' Young Woman Who Recorded Chauvin And Floyd On Video Tells Court

ABC NEWS
Key takeaways from Day 2 of the Derek Chauvin trial

NBC NEWS
Derek Chauvin trial live updates: News on George Floyd's death

210330-derek-chauvin-trial-al-0740_17bcf87631525dcbf2fd939fd9a214c6.fit-760w.jpg

Protesters march Monday on the first day of the trial of former Police Officer Derek Chauvin, who is facing murder charges in the death of George Floyd, in Minneapolis.Octavio Jones / Reuters

Witnesses to George Floyd's deadly arrest tell jury of their shock, horror

George Floyd: Firefighter, 9-year-old and teens give powerful testimony in Derek Chauvin trial - CNN

Teens And Child Testify In Derek Chauvin Trial

Teen who recorded George Floyd's death gives heart-wrenching testimony

Trial of officer in the death of George Floyd brings back painful memories for many in the Triad | myfox8.com

MMA fighter who watched George Floyd's death gives emotional testimony at Chauvin trial: 'I witnessed a murder'

'Do not argue with the court': Chauvin trial judge warns witness in tense exchange

“The judge's admonition followed Hansen's replies to defense attorney Eric Nelson.

After Nelson asked about the mood of the crowd near the May 25 police encounter that ended in Floyd's death and whether people were angry, Hansen replied: "I don't know if you've seen anybody be killed, but it's upsetting."

At another point, she answered "yes" before Nelson had finished asking a question.”

3/29/21

BBC:
George Floyd death: How long will Derek Chauvin trial last?

911 dispatcher testifies officers pinned George Floyd so long she thought her video had frozen

As the trial for the killing of George Floyd begins, ACLU president warns America still has long road of reckoning ahead

Former officer Derek Chauvin knelt on George Floyd for 9 minutes and 29 seconds -- not the infamous 8:46 - CNN

3/26/21

George Floyd's family and supporters planning prayer vigil ahead of trial | kare11.com

(May 29 2020
Derek Chauvin, the police officer who knelt on George Floyd's neck, had 18 previous complaints against him, police department says - CNN)

Last edited:
Below are all after Day 2 of testimony posted by @SouthAussie on MT

'Witnessed a murder': Former MMA wrestler gives evidence in George Floyd trial

MMA fighter takes the stand in George Floyd trial

Teen who filmed killing tells court George Floyd was 'begging for his life'

And more (which was on 3/30) and some of the articles go back even further. @margarita25 posted this compilation on the main thread.

NYT
Witnesses Describe Frustration and Fear as They Watched George Floyd Struggle

USA TODAY
Derek Chauvin trial live: Emotional testimony from Darnella Frazier

NPR
Firefighter Testifies: 'I Was Desperate To Help ... And This Human Was Denied That'

'It Wasn't Right,' Young Woman Who Recorded Chauvin And Floyd On Video Tells Court

ABC NEWS
Key takeaways from Day 2 of the Derek Chauvin trial

NBC NEWS
Derek Chauvin trial live updates: News on George Floyd's death

210330-derek-chauvin-trial-al-0740_17bcf87631525dcbf2fd939fd9a214c6.fit-760w.jpg

Protesters march Monday on the first day of the trial of former Police Officer Derek Chauvin, who is facing murder charges in the death of George Floyd, in Minneapolis.Octavio Jones / Reuters

Witnesses to George Floyd's deadly arrest tell jury of their shock, horror

George Floyd: Firefighter, 9-year-old and teens give powerful testimony in Derek Chauvin trial - CNN

Teens And Child Testify In Derek Chauvin Trial

Teen who recorded George Floyd's death gives heart-wrenching testimony

Trial of officer in the death of George Floyd brings back painful memories for many in the Triad | myfox8.com

MMA fighter who watched George Floyd's death gives emotional testimony at Chauvin trial: 'I witnessed a murder'

3/29/21

BBC:
George Floyd death: How long will Derek Chauvin trial last?

Former officer Derek Chauvin knelt on George Floyd for 9 minutes and 29 seconds -- not the infamous 8:46 - CNN

911 dispatcher testifies officers pinned George Floyd so long she thought her video had frozen

As the trial for the killing of George Floyd begins, ACLU president warns America still has long road of reckoning ahead

'Do not argue with the court': Chauvin trial judge warns witness in tense exchange

“The judge's admonition followed Hansen's replies to defense attorney Eric Nelson.

After Nelson asked about the mood of the crowd near the May 25 police encounter that ended in Floyd's death and whether people were angry, Hansen replied: "I don't know if you've seen anybody be killed, but it's upsetting."

At another point, she answered "yes" before Nelson had finished asking a question.”

3/26/21

George Floyd's family and supporters planning prayer vigil ahead of trial | kare11.com

"”The only thing we can do now is to pray for God to bring healing and bring deliverance," said Pastor Russell.

One of the main goals for the Minneapolis pastor is to help prepare people spiritually for what could be an emotionally charged trial for Chauvin.

Even he himself has experienced an emotional rollercoaster after seeing the video at the center of the case. He knows he is not alone.

"A lot of people are really affected by what they saw on TV and not only one time," said Russell, "but it played over and over again."

[...]

“After Floyd's death sparked nationwide protests, Russell believes it's important to be spiritually and emotionally prepared for whatever the outcome will be in the Chauvin trial.

"Because we don't know what's going to come of this whole thing. But one thing we can do, God you have to equip us to be able to bear whatever happens," said Russell.”

(May 29 2020
Derek Chauvin, the police officer who knelt on George Floyd's neck, had 18 previous complaints against him, police department says - CNN)

Last edited:
Exhibit 11: Video taken from camera across the street
Exhibits 26, 27, 28- 3 videos taken by minor with her friend’s phone
Exhibit 184- Photo showing bystanders/witnesses

By @JerseyGirl in MT

Firefighter blocked from helping Floyd returns to stand

A Minneapolis firefighter who wept as she recalled being prevented from using her EMT training to help George Floyd will be back on the stand (today) Wednesday.

Genevieve Hansen, one of several bystanders seen and heard shouting at Derek Chauvin as he pinned Floyd facedown outside a convenience store last May, described her desperation Tuesday as she recounted how she was unable to come to Floyd’s aid or tell police what to do, such as administering chest compressions.

DAY THREE
(aka Day 15 for some media organizations as they are including Juror Voir Dire etc.)

TRIAL DAY 3

8) Genev*eve Hansen cont'd - Firefighter/EMT (defense questions)
9) Christopher Mart*n 19 y/o who worked inCUP FOOD store and accepted the $20 bill.
10) Christopher B*lrey 45 y/o who pulled up behind GF's car, filmed a little then left the scene
11) Charles Mcmi*lian 61 y/o who was first on scene when at CUP food wearing black shirt with white square emblem - "You can't win"
12) Lt. James Rugel with IT responsibility for body and street cams.

USA Today (Very Good Thorough Article) Derek Chauvin trial day 3: Witness to George Floyd's arrest cries

CNN - Derek Chauvin's body camera video shows his reaction just after George Floyd left in an ambulance - CNN

AP - Ex-cop told onlooker Floyd was big, 'probably on something'

USA Today - Derek Chauvin trial live: Chauvin defends George Floyd action in video

Independent - Derek Chauvin trial enters fourth day – follow live

Star Tribune - Man who was with George Floyd the day he died invokes Fifth Amendment, refuses to testify

Washington Post - https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/31/derek-chauvin-trial/

New York Times - Just tuning in to Day 3 of the Derek Chauvin trial? Here’s what we learned this morning.

Fox News - Prosecutor who charged Derek Chauvin in George Floyd death sold Minneapolis home amid protest security concern

USA Today - Derek Chauvin trial day 3: Witness to George Floyd's arrest cries

Prosecutors played videos from the body-cams of former officers Alexander Kueng, Thomas Lane and Tou Thao, as well as part of Chauvin's video. The videos revealed that Chauvin defended his tactics after an ambulance left the scene, remarking to a bystander that Floyd was "a sizable guy" and "probably on something." ... Over the last three days, jurors have heard from 12 witnesses to Floyd's death, and several have cried on the stand describing their attempts to intervene on his behalf.

Earlier, a witness who glimpsed the first moments of Floyd’s arrest broke down sobbing on the witness stand. Charles McMillian, 61, took off his glasses and wiped the tears from his eyes, saying "oh my god" after seeing video of Floyd calling for his mother and saying "I can't breathe." The court then took a brief break before McMillian returned to the stand In court, McMillian said: "In my mind, I said to Mr. Chauvin ... five days I said go home to your family safe and let them go home to their families safe. But today I look at you as a maggot."...Shareeduh Tate, George Floyd's cousin, is the Floyd family representative in the courtroom for the second time. Tate, 50, is a registered nurse in Houston.

Lt. James Rugel, an officer in Minneapolis since 1989 who manages the technology business unit, testified to the authenticity of city surveillance video capturing scenes of Floyd's death and related police body-worn camera videos.

Posted by @JerseyGirl on MT

Cup Foods cashier Christopher Martin, 19, told jurors Wednesday morning that he was the man who took the counterfeit $20 bill from George Floyd.

Martin said he noticed Floyd was a big man, so he asked him if he'd played baseball. Martin said Floyd responded that he'd played football.

"It kind of took him a little long to get to what he wanted to say. He sounded a little high," Martin said.

Lead prosecutor Matthew Frank played for jurors about 10 minutes of video from inside the store, which initially showed Floyd acting restless as he flipped through bills before roaming the store. Floyd can be seen dancing in line before he tries to buy cigarettes and hands over what was later determined to be a fake $20.

Attorney Jerry Blackwell, for the state, said Monday that it was not clear if Floyd knew that the $20 bill was forged. But that regardless, it was a misdemeanor, minor crime.

After Martin sold Floyd a pack of cigarettes, store video showed he held aloft the $20 bill that Floyd paid with. Martin said he noticed the bill was likely a fake, similar in hue to $100 bill. He explained that the store's policy was to dock employee's salaries for the cost of counterfeit bills they accepted for purchases.

Martin told his manager his suspicions before leaving the store and walking up to Floyd's car.

Derek Chauvin trial live updates: Cashier who took George Floyd's counterfeit $20 bill testifies; video shown of Cup Foods interaction

Witness who knew Derek Chauvin breaks down as he watches video of George Floyd arrest

Charles McMillian, the first bystander to witness the fatal arrest of George Floyd, began to weep as he re-watched video of the incident unfold in a Minnesota court on Wednesday.

“I can’t, I feel helpless,” Mr McMillian, 61, said as he dabbed his eyes with a handkerchief. “I don’t have a mother either, I understand him.”

Derek Chauvin Trial Live Updates: Day 3 Brings New Glimpses of George Floyd’s Final Hours

Charles McMillian, 61, sobs on the witness stand as prosecutors play a video of George Floyd calling for his mother. Mr. McMillian had yelled, “You can’t win!” at Floyd as he was being arrested in an attempt to get him to relax as officers tried to put him in the back of a squad car.

McMillian has to take off his glasses and wipe his eyes. “I feel helpless,” he said. This is hard to watch.
-----
Charles McMillian, who is 61, says that he didn't see any violence from Mr Floyd towards officers.

He adds "I was trying to get him to go" with officers as Mr McMillian said that's how interactions with police go.

McMillian says he knew Derek Chauvin from the officer being in the community.

McMillian said that he stopped to see what was going on with George Floyd because he "was nosey".

Police bodycam footage is currently being played to the court which depicts Mr Floyd saying "I can't breathe" while he is being put in a police car.

Mr Floyd says he doesn't want to get in the car because he is claustrophobic.

McMillian says he asked the police to let Mr Floyd up - but the police told him that if Mr Floyd could talk then he could breathe.

This is understood to be the last sympathetic interaction George Floyd would have had with someone who was trying to help him.

George Floyd killing: Live updates of Derek Chauvin trial with shop worker who served victim describing what happened before police arrived

Chilling New Video Brings Jurors to Scene of George Floyd’s Arrest
----Below from @Cool Cats
New Body Camera Video Shows What Derek Chauvin Did After Ambulance Arrived

Prosecutors presented a video in court Wednesday from a body camera he wore the night George Floyd died.

The video, never before seen by the public, showed Chauvin’s actions after Floyd was loaded into an ambulance.

As Chauvin approaches his squad car, Charles McMillian, a 61-year-old man who testified Wednesday, can be heard expressing concern over Chauvin’s decision to kneel on Floyd’s neck.

“That’s one person’s opinion,” Chauvin responded. “We gotta control this guy. He’s a sizable guy. Looks like he was probably on something.”

https://mobile.twitter.com/PaulBlume_FOX9/status/1377350638737088516

----below from @Cool Cats
Video shows cops attacking Floyd in car before death

New video of George Floyd’s arrest before he was pinned to the ground and died shows a violent struggle in the back of the police car.

b7b56757be362fdc63418f48267ad47d

One officer appears to stare directly at the camera.
---- Below from @Ruthbullock
He asked to lie down on the ground when in the vehicle, so they pulled him out and lay him down.
Body camera transcripts reveal new details about night of George Floyd's death
----Below from @SouthAussie
in the transcript of the interview with Lane it is said that Chauvin was Kueng's training officer. He wasn't Lane's training officer, but Lane had called him a couple of times in the past when his own training officer was not available - to get direction on how to handle a call.

This likely explains why everyone deferred to Chauvin on that day, with Lane twice questioning Chauvin about laying George on his side.

https://kstp.com/kstpImages/repository/cs/files/Floyd Transcript 1.pdf

"We ended up going to the ground. I think someone said 'let's bring him to the ground because we can't control him'. We went down to the ground. Kueng was next to me. Officer Shaaban was at the front end and when he was on his stomach and we were bascially just trying to restrain him, I think I said 'Let's use the MRT' " (The MRT is the hobble)

Pg 15, Lane's recount:
https://kstp.com/kstpImages/repository/cs/files/Floyd Transcript 1.pdf

Pg 12, George freaking out from claustrophobia/anxiety:
https://kstp.com/kstpImages/repository/cs/files/Floyd Transcript 2.pdf

Good pic here of the 'unruly mob' who were witnessing George's death.
Six of the witnesses are numbered and (suitably) identified.

"But despite the global outcry this is not an open and shut case. In the US, police are rarely convicted for deaths that occur while they are on duty, if they are charged at all."

"The verdict in this case will be widely seen as an indication of how the US legal system treats deaths that occur while in police custody."
Derek Chauvin trial: New footage shows George Floyd pleading with officers

---Below by @JerseyGirl

What to Watch For on Day 4 of Derek Chauvin’s Trial

Jurors will enter the fourth day of proceedings in the Derek Chauvin trial on Thursday with a newfound understanding of what happened on the day George Floyd died, thanks to camera footage and witness testimony that laid out his actions moment by moment.

Before Wednesday’s testimony, the jury had not heard such a thorough retelling, from inside the corner store where Mr. Floyd bought cigarettes to his time pinned on the pavement to when he was carried away on a stretcher. For the first time, jurors saw footage from the body camera of Mr. Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer charged with killing Mr. Floyd.

ETA: Adding this one from last year, June 4th, as it appears that he was to appear, and pleading the 5th now. (George's friend in passenger seat) Witness Who Was in Floyd’s Car Says His Friend Did Not Resist Arrest

Last edited:
TRIAL DAY FOUR
Some outlets may call day 16 as they work from beginning of Voir Dire

13) Courtn*y Ross GF girlfriend since 2017
14) Seth Zach*ry Bravinder - Ambulance/EMS driver
15) Eerek Smith - Ambulance/EMS who did pulse and compressions
16) Jeremy Norton - Captain/EMT at firestation #17 who responded to scene/2nd scene
17) David Pleoger - MPD Sgt. who took call from dispacter complaint, went to scene, went hospital

------Below posted by @JerseyGirl
By calling Ross to the stand, prosecutors are attempting to not only humanize Floyd but also establish he had a high tolerance for fentanyl. An autopsy determined that Floyd was intoxicated with fentanyl and had recently used methamphetamines.

The defense has claimed that Floyd may have died from a drug overdose — not from being pinned under Chauvin's knee for 9 minutes, 29 seconds.

Attorney Eric Nelson asked Courteney Ross several questions about Maurice Hall providing Floyd with drugs. Hall was a friend of Floyd’s who was with him on the day that he died. Hall was in the passenger seat of the car when police approached Floyd.

Ross said, "she didn't like Maurice very much."

She said she did not see Floyd purchase drugs from Hall "with my own eyes" but speculated that he did.

A cashier at Cup Foods testified Wednesday that Hall had tried to use a fake $20 at the store earlier in the day on May 25, 2020, the day when Floyd died.

Hall has filed notice that he plans to invoke his 5th Amendment right not to testify in the case.

Derek Chauvin trial live: Updates on George Floyd's death

Courteney Ross, George Floyd's girlfriend, testified that in March 2020, Floyd was hospitalized for an overdose.

Responding to questions from defense attorney Eric Nelson, Ross said she picked Floyd up one night to take him to work, but he didn't feel well, so she took him to the hospital instead.

"I thought I was taking him to work. He wasn't feeling good. His stomach really hurt. He was doubled over in pain. Just wasn't feeling well, and he said he had to go to the hospital, so I took him straight to the hospital. We went to the ER, and they were checking him out in the ER, and it was getting late. And I had to go to work myself that Friday night," she said.

"You later learned that that was due to an overdose?" Nelson asked.

"Yes," Ross responded

Nelson then asked Ross if she learned what caused the overdose. She said she did not.

Here's how the rest of the exchange happened:

Nelson: "At that time frame, did you learn that Mr. Floyd was taking anything other than opioids?"
Ross: "No."
Nelson: "You did not know that he had taken heroin at that time?"
Ross: "No."

Prosecutors were the first to ask about opioid use during the trial to get ahead of some of the defense team's arguments. Defense attorneys plan to make the case that Floyd died of unrelated medical issues and drug use.

Derek Chauvin is on trial for George Floyd's death: Live updates

Details from yesterday’s video (while we are on break):

Floyd’s struggle with three police officers trying to arrest him, seen on body-camera video, included Floyd’s panicky cries of “I’m sorry, I’m sorry” and “I’m claustrophobic!” as the officers tried to push Floyd into the back of a police SUV.

At one point, Floyd bucks forward, throwing his upper body out of the car. Officers eventually give up, and Floyd thanks them — and then is taken to the ground, facedown and handcuffed. Chauvin knee pins his neck, another officer’s knee holds his back and a third officer holds his legs, with the officers talking calmly about whether he might be on drugs.

“He wouldn’t get out of the car. He just wasn’t following instructions,” Officer Thomas Lane was recorded saying. Lane also asked twice if the officers should roll Floyd on his side, and later said he thinks Floyd is passing out. Another officer checked Floyd’s wrist for a pulse and said he couldn’t find one.

Derek Chauvin trial: George Floyd’s girlfriend details their opioid addiction in emotional testimony

Some facts about the opioid epidemic:

An estimated 10.1 million Americans aged 12 and older misused opioids in 2019, including 9.7 million prescription pain reliever abusers and 745,000 heroin users.

Opioids are drugs formulated to replicate the pain-reducing properties of opium. Prescription painkillers like morphine, oxycodone and hydrocodone are opioids. Illegal drugs like heroin and illicitly made fentanyl are also opioids. The word “opioid” is derived from the word “opium.”

In 2018, there were 67,367 overdose deaths in the United States and 46,802 of those overdose deaths involved opioids.

“We were dispatched our notes said we were going code 2 for someone with a mouth injury and PD (police department) was on scene,” Bravinder said, adding about a minute and half into their response the call was upgraded in severity and he then began driving with lights and sirens.

Bravinder said that when he pulled up in the ambulance "I assumed that there was potentially some struggle still because they were still on top of him."

Bravinder's colleague was the one who checked Floyd's pulse and pupils but Bravinder said from his vantage point outside the back of the ambulance he didn't see any movement or breathing coming from Floyd.

As part of defense attorney Eric Nelson's cross-examination, Bravinder explained why ketamine may be used. The drug, which he said, has multiple purposes, is used when someone has profound agitation or is "really violent."

Ketamine is also used in excited delirium, which one of the officers was heard mentioning Wednesday in one of the body-worn camera videos shown.

Bravinder was also asked about the status of Floyd's pupils. He said he did not know but stated that in a opioid overdose a person's pupils may be pinpoints and methamphetamine would cause dilated pupils.

Court went to recess following Bravinder's testimony. They are scheduled to resume around 1:30 p.m.

Chauvin trial updates: Hennepin County paramedic takes the stand | West Central Tribune

Smith says he had to tell one of the officers to get out of his way.

"I wanted to get my patient, to my rig, as quickly as possible and so I can begin my resuscitation efforts."

Smith: In a living person, there should be a pulse there. I did not feel one. I suspected this patient to be dead, in lay terms.

Eldridge:And at the moment that you're checking for this carotid pulse is the officer still positioned on top of Mr. Floyd.

Smith: Yes.

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1377693706757758977?s=21

Nelson, "You checked for Mr. Floyd's pulse initially?" and asks about position of Chauvin.

Smith says Chauvin was still at the head of the patient.

Nelson now asking about Lane helping with chest compressions.

Smith, "Any lay person can do do chest compressions... I wanted as many people that would want to help me at that time to work this cardiac arrest"

https://twitter.com/callangraynews/status/1377699046916296706?s=21

CNN LISTS RESOURCES FOR ANYONE WHO NEEDS HELP AFTER LISTENING TO TESTIMONY:

Hearing witnesses testify and dissect second-by-second accounts of the circumstances surrounding Floyd's death can be tough.

Here are some resources that may help:

You can contact any of the organizations above to find peer groups and other group counseling services. These organizations often have affiliates in cities that host group meetings. They offer coping mechanisms to deal with stress, depression, anxiety and other mental health conditions.

It's always important to speak to someone and not feel that you're facing this alone.

You can find more CNN resources that may help here.

Paramedic describes what he saw when approaching Floyd at the scene: "I thought he was dead"

List of Exhibits (updated notes, not exhaustive)

Exhibit 11: Video taken from camera across the street
*Exhibit 15: bystander cellphone footage (whose?)
Exhibit 17: Photo of DC/his knee on George Floyd’s neck (front view)
Exhibits 26, 27, 28- 3 videos taken by minor with her friend’s phone
Exhibit 31- (Combination?): Surveillance video from inside Cup Foods / Surveillance footage taken from business across 38th street (Dragon Wok) showing store clerks approaching vehicle that GF and two others are in.
Exhibit 49- Officer Thao’s body cam footage
Exhibit 62- Photo inside ambulance 1 - setting up Lucas Device
Exhibit 63- Photo inside ambulance 2 - opening airway/ gel
Exhibit 64- Photo inside ambulance 3 - setting up IV line, “
Exhibit 65- Photo inside ambulance 4 - reinforcement of above procedures
Exhibit 67- Photo of paramedics and FD transferring GF from ambulance to hospital
Exhibit 184- Photo showing bystanders/witnesses
*Exhibit 246

*in progress / incomplete

Last edited:
POTENTIAL CHARGE GUIDELINES
Charges.JPG

609.19 MURDER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.
Subdivision 1.Intentional murder; drive-by shootings.
Whoever does either of the following is guilty of murder in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 40 years:

(1) causes the death of a human being with intent to effect the death of that person or another, but without premeditation; or

(2) causes the death of a human being while committing or attempting to commit a drive-by shooting in violation of section 609.66, subdivision 1e, under circumstances other than those described in section 609.185, paragraph (a), clause (3).

Subd. 2.Unintentional murders.
Whoever does either of the following is guilty of unintentional murder in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 40 years:

(1) causes the death of a human being, without intent to effect the death of any person, while committing or attempting to commit a felony offense other than criminal sexual conduct in the first or second degree with force or violence or a drive-by shooting; or

(2) causes the death of a human being without intent to effect the death of any person, while intentionally inflicting or attempting to inflict bodily harm upon the victim, when the perpetrator is restrained under an order for protection and the victim is a person designated to receive protection under the order. As used in this clause, "order for protection" includes an order for protection issued under chapter 518B; a harassment restraining order issued under section 609.748; a court order setting conditions of pretrial release or conditions of a criminal sentence or juvenile court disposition; a restraining order issued in a marriage dissolution action; and any order issued by a court of another state or of the United States that is similar to any of these orders.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.19

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.195

609.195 MURDER IN THE THIRD DEGREE.
(a) Whoever, without intent to effect the death of any person, causes the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life, is guilty of murder in the third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 25 years.

(b) Whoever, without intent to cause death, proximately causes the death of a human being by, directly or indirectly, unlawfully selling, giving away, bartering, delivering, exchanging, distributing, or administering a controlled substance classified in Schedule I or II, is guilty of murder in the third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 25 years or to payment of a fine of not more than $40,000, or both.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.205

609.205 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.
A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both:

(1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another; or

(2) by shooting another with a firearm or other dangerous weapon as a result of negligently believing the other to be a deer or other animal; or

(3) by setting a spring gun, pit fall, deadfall, snare, or other like dangerous weapon or device; or

(4) by negligently or intentionally permitting any animal, known by the person to have vicious propensities or to have caused great or substantial bodily harm in the past, to run uncontrolled off the owner's premises, or negligently failing to keep it properly confined; or

(5) by committing or attempting to commit a violation of section 609.378 (neglect or endangerment of a child), and murder in the first, second, or third degree is not committed thereby.

If proven by a preponderance of the evidence, it shall be an affirmative defense to criminal liability under clause (4) that the victim provoked the animal to cause the victim's death.

Article discussing charges at VERIFY: Derek Chauvin faces three charges in George Floyd's death | kare11.com

USA Today - Derek Chauvin trial live: George Floyd restraint 'could've ended': Cop

CNN - Why I can't watch the Derek Chauvin trial - CNN

CBS This Morning - Derek Chauvin's ex-boss says he should've removed knee after George Floyd was not resisting

---Below by JerseyGirl
Following the call, Ploeger said he drove to the scene of the incident, where upon arrival learned of the gravity of the situation. But even after he arrived, he told the court, neither Chauvin nor any of the other officers informed him that the defendant had knelt on Floyd's neck and back, while handcuffed and long after he'd passed out.
It wasn't until later that night at the Hennepin County Medical Center that Chauvin finally told him what he'd done, Ploeger said.
"When Mr. Floyd was no longer offering up any resistance to the officers, they could have ended the restraint," Ploeger told the court.
"It would be reasonable to put a knee on someone's neck until they were not resisting anymore, but it should stop when they are no longer combative"
Chauvin's Former Supervisor Testifies Restraint Should Have Ended Much Sooner

---Below posted by @Cool Cats
Witness Who Was in Floyd’s Car Says His Friend Did Not Resist Arrest

Derek Chauvin trial: Key witness to invoke the 5th Amendment, refuses to testify

Morries-Lester-Hall.jpg

Morries Lester Hall informed the court Wednesday that he will plead the fifth amendment and not testify in the trial of Derek Chauvin. (Minneapolis Police body camera footage submitted as evidence in the trial of Derek Chauvin)

The Hennepin County Public Defender's Office filed a notice Wednesday on behalf of Morries Lester Hall, 42, who was in the car with Floyd when police approached him for allegedly using a fake $20 bill at Cup Foods in Minneapolis.

"Mr. Morries Lester Hall, through undersigned counsel, hereby provides notice to all parties in this matter that if called to testify he will invoke his Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination," said a notice filed by assistant public defender Adrienne Cousins. "Therefore, counsel for Mr. Hall respectfully moves this court to quash the subpoena ... and release Mr. Hall from any obligations therein."

--- Below posted by @SouthAussie

"To really be in the court and hear them speaking about the entire situation again and really seeing Chauvin from the court, it was sort of surreal and intense and emotional," Floyd's brother, Terrence Floyd, told ABC News Live.

"All of the witnesses, I only hear them, and I find that not only for our loved ones, the Floyd family, need to relive this, but they need to re do this, also," said Terrence Floyd, that had been present in the court. "I only need to send out my prayers to them also, since they're actually reliving it as we are too"

"They'd get any way possible for this particular police officer to never look poor. Nevertheless, the entire world watched what happened to him," she (sister) explained. "The medication they say they discovered in his system didn't kill him... [it] was that the strain that has been kneeled down into his throat. It is not surprising to me but one thing for certain... the planet [has] noticed the way my brother left this planet."

George Floyd's family relives his Departure during Derek Chauvin trial News

---Below posted by @JerseyGirl
Testimony continuing Friday in State vs. Chauvin trial

Friday, Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo could take the stand. During a news conference Thursday, Arradondo was asked about the trial and said he hasn't watched it because he will be testifying.

Court is scheduled to resume shortly after 9 a.m.

Derek Chauvin trial: Jurors hear from Floyd's girlfriend, EMTs | kare11.com

Judge Peter Cahill told jurors Thursday morning that he will give them Friday afternoon off because testimony is going more quickly than expected. It's unclear whether he and the attorneys will still handle legal issues via livestream during that time.

Last edited:
So far, witnesses have been

Day 1
Opening Statements
1) 911 Dispatcher Jena Scurry (not to be confused with 911 call taker)
2) Speedway gas station cashier All*sha Oy*er
3) MMA guy D*nald W*lliams (prosecution only today)

Day 2
3) witness - From Yesterday, defense follow up etc with MMA guy D*nald W*lliams - he called 911
4) witness - Darn**la - was minor at the time and now 18 - she did the "viral video" that the world has seen and had little cousin with her in green shirt
5) witness - Little cousin in green (not posting any info here at WS... due to minor)
6) witness - Aly*** who was wearing white shirt and blue jeans in group shot.. knows witness #4 from school and knows another person there she drove there with ( young female K**lyn at scene with large bag on shoulder who has not yet testified. ) She drove up after FG was on ground -took 3 videos.
7) witness - K**lyn (?sp) Arrived with #6 witness. Minor, 17 year old. Friend of #6 Aly***. She circled her photo of standing on the curb.. had large beige bag on shoulder next to MMA guy.
8) witness - 27 yo Lady firefighter/EMT who was in all black with white headband that day, with CPR training (wearing uniform in court) from Minneapolis who was on a walk who took video and did 911 call. She was 7th person to arrive on the curb with others watching . The judge chewed her out at the end of today for "arguing with the court" and arguing with attorneys.

Day 3
8) Genev*eve Hansen cont'd - Firefighter/EMT (defense questions)
9) Christopher Mart*n 19 y/o who worked in CUP FOOD store and accepted the $20 bill.
10) Christopher B*lrey 45 y/o who pulled up behind GF's car, filmed a little then left the scene
11) Charles Mcmi*lian 61 y/o who was first on scene when at CUP food wearing black shirt with white square emblem - "You can't win"
12) Lt. James Rugel with IT responsibility for body and street cams.

Day 4
13) Courtn*y Ross GF girlfriend since 2017
14) Seth Zach*ry Bravinder - Ambulance/EMS driver
15) Eerek Smith - Ambulance/EMS who did pulse and compressions
16) Jeremy Norton - Captain/EMT at firestation #17 who responded to scene/2nd scene
17) David Pleoger - MPD Sgt. who took call from dispatcher complaint, went to scene, went hospital, back to scene.

DAY 5 begins

@cathyrusson

Update on Morries Hall he is currently in custody. He was arrested during jury selection on an outstanding warrant for violating protective order in a domestic violence case & another case out of Redwood County

---below by JerseyGirl

Jon Curtis Edwards, a sergeant with the Minneapolis Police, just took the stand in the trial of former officer Derek Chauvin, who is charged in the death of George Floyd.

He's been with the department since 2007, he testified. The prosecution is asking him details about the crime scene. Edwards said he was asked to go to the location of the incident to "secure that area" and make contact with any "officers that were there on the scene still."

Edwards said that he arrived to scene — 38th and Chicago — around 9:35 p.m. ET and only saw two officers there: J. Alexander Kueng and Thomas Lane. "There weren't many other people around when I arrived there," he noted.

Edwards said he had his body camera activated when he arrived, but the both officers did not have their body cameras on when he met them. He asked both of them to activate them.

The officers told Edwards where the incident with Floyd took place, and he instructed them to place crime scene tape around the area "so that we could preserve any potential evidence that was there.”

Last edited:
DAY 5 TRIAL

18) Sgt Jon Edwards - In LE 14 years, was turned over case in field after previous witness (David Pleoger) ended his shift
19) Lt. Richard Zimmerman - Investigator role for MPD for critical incidents.

-- by JerseyGirl
Zimmerman explains the use of force continuum that is MPD policy.

1: officer presence in uniform
2: Verbal
3: Soft technique, exp. escorting by the arm
4. Hard technique, exp. handcuffs, mace
5. Deadly force

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1378008968279232515?s=21

Frank: What level of force might that be?
Z: That would be the top tier, the deadly force.
F: Why?
Z: Because of the fact that if your knee is on a person's neck that can kill them.

Zimmerman testifies he has never been trained to "kneel on the neck of someone who is handcuffed behind the back" in his time with MPD.

Frank: What's your responsibility with regard to that person from that moment [handcuffed] on?

Zimmerman: That person is yours, is your responsibility.

His safety is your responsibility and his well being is your responsibility.

Zimmerman says "the threat level is just not there" once someone is handcuffed.

Zimmerman has been handcuffed as part of his training and says "it stretches the muscles back through your chest, and it makes it more difficult to breathe."

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1378009895019102209?s=21

Frank asks about MPD medical training.

Zimmerman says they get CPR training about every other year, confirms they have an obligation to provide medical intervention when necessary.

https://twitter.com/callangraynews/status/1378010773117575170?s=21

---- Below posted by @Tippy Lynn

STATE’S AMENDED PROPOSED JURY INSTRUCTION REGARDING THIRD-DEGREE MURDER

https://www.mncourts.gov/mncourtsgo...20-12646/ProposedJuryInstructions04012021.pdf

part of above

"The State hereby amends its proposed jury instruction regarding third-degree murder in light of the Minnesota Supreme Court’s decision on March 31, 2021 in State v. Coleman, No. A19-0708, __ N.W.2d __, 2021 WL 1201738 (Minn. Mar. 31, 2021). "
" It indicated that “[o]ne way to accurately state the law in a jury instruction” regarding third-degree murder “could be to use the phrase ‘but it must have been committed withan indifference to the loss of human life that the eminently dangerous act could cause.” Id. (emphasis in original). "

That approach, the Court explained, “would eliminate the unnecessary and confusing ‘reckless or wanton’ language, and removes the ‘with the knowledge that someone may be killed’ language that we have held materially misstates the required mental state.”

State remedy in the attached is

stateremedy.JPG

--- Below posted by @sds71

Ex-nSL8WYAAtVms

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads