GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam Co, 2 May 2014 - #13

There is really nothing to say that RD was shot in the head, it is only a best-guess by SS, based on the fact there was no blood spatter to indicate that it occurred inside the garage, so he goes on to also believe he was shot somewhere else and then brought back to the garage and decapitated (which totally makes no sense), and the fact that apparently some GSR was found on RD's t-shirt or something (I forget where exactly, but only a tiny bit), which could have really come from the killer's hands, or if RD had a gun of his own he had touched, or whatever. But if he WAS shot in the head, and that is the real reason why they decapitated him, then your questions are same as mine. I wondered if it could have been a police gun which killed him... but it seems that bullets from police weapons can't be identified as specifically police bullets, so can't be that. It seems that dare I say 'most' out that way seem to own guns? Would it be that rare of a gun/bullet type that identifying it would ID the killer? I doubt it?? Unless the gun had already been used in another crime, and bullet-matching could be done, and then the two crimes linked? That's the only thing I can come up with. imo.

Hey DG, long time......

This is interesting........I was watching a case the other day and it made me think of the Dermond case specifically. In that case, the family never called or pressured LE to find the killers and it was them that were ultimately found guilty.........

Same in this case, no pressure from family we think, both victims cremated and no headstone where their plot is in Eatonton GA, well as of 2 yrs ago, i wen there and called too, remember how fast they got the hll out of town..............but what was it 4 yrs or 5 yrs later, the son of Russel and Shirley Dermond made a first and only plea to the public if anyone knows anything to come forward

Perfect timing........the killers got away with it .....because 48 hours is too long, much less 4-5 yrs for anyone to come forward that they saw something

No one even knew what to LOOK FOR, because SS kept most crucial evidence to himself.....even now....going on 7 yrs?? HOLY COW......still havent heard what item was found at the residence or whevere.......or how or who the person seen on the lawn was and how he was cleared!

As they say, no perfect crime only bad investigating........I dont think investigators was forceful enough or went down enough avenues....... took too many people's word for it and didnt investigate family financials

All the kids inherited and a grandaughter.........and have done a lot of traveling if I might add.......seems some debt paid off or new business ventures too!

Sickening and sad case

I agree, its speculation on SS part, I think he picked that up from WS here actually HAHA becuase several said that here before he ever said it.

Coming up on 7 years and it's hard to believe that this case hasn't been solved. Poor Russell and Shirley deserve justice. This is one of the cases that brought me to WS and isn't it strange that one day, you think it was very random and maybe a thrill kill. Then another day - they HAD to know their killers. Maybe it was a cult? Botched robbery? Nothing was disturbed. Sadly, because I HAVE been on WS for so long, I personally IMHO have come to the conclusion that this was purely greed and for financial gain. The perfect crime turned out to be not quite so perfect (having to decapitate Russell) but the result was the same. I will be surprised if after 7 years they have enough evidence to convict anyone. Makes me so sad and mad at the same time. The Kentucky Derby will always make me remember them. All of this is just my personal opinion and I really have no inside knowledge at all...just my little "hinky meter". When an elderly couple is murdered, isn't it almost always about the money?

Coming up on 7 years and it's hard to believe that this case hasn't been solved. Poor Russell and Shirley deserve justice. This is one of the cases that brought me to WS and isn't it strange that one day, you think it was very random and maybe a thrill kill. Then another day - they HAD to know their killers. Maybe it was a cult? Botched robbery? Nothing was disturbed. Sadly, because I HAVE been on WS for so long, I personally IMHO have come to the conclusion that this was purely greed and for financial gain. The perfect crime turned out to be not quite so perfect (having to decapitate Russell) but the result was the same. I will be surprised if after 7 years they have enough evidence to convict anyone. Makes me so sad and mad at the same time. The Kentucky Derby will always make me remember them. All of this is just my personal opinion and I really have no inside knowledge at all...just my little "hinky meter". When an elderly couple is murdered, isn't it almost always about the money?

This case stays with me too- 7 years? can't believe it!
I think good detective work might help find the killers but after following true crime for so long, I find that not all detectives are the sharpest knives in the drawer, and further, not all detectives put as much time in as they should to find a killer. At this point it is looking like a case that will not be resolved--- It is so sad. It is good to know that others care about this elderly couple who met such a horrible end.

Right there with you, roguelady. They may have a strong suspect or suspect(s), but not enough evidence for an arrest, let alone a conviction. I am not hopeful at this point that this case will ever be solved, not at least maybe until fresh eyes or a cold case unit comes in later down the road. It is a bit astonishing that a case with so much movement and crime scene locations and activity in different places has insufficient evidence to lead to an arrest. The garage, the lawn, a boat, a dock, materials used to sink the body, towels from the house, a missing head, a lake....etc etc...and yet nothing. They must have really covered themselves and their tracks well, and/or knew the area very well. It's baffling and frustrating.

Right there with you, roguelady. They may have a strong suspect or suspect(s), but not enough evidence for an arrest, let alone a conviction. I am not hopeful at this point that this case will ever be solved, not at least maybe until fresh eyes or a cold case unit comes in later down the road. It is a bit astonishing that a case with so much movement and crime scene locations and activity in different places has insufficient evidence to lead to an arrest. The garage, the lawn, a boat, a dock, materials used to sink the body, towels from the house, a missing head, a lake....etc etc...and yet nothing. They must have really covered themselves and their tracks well, and/or knew the area very well. It's baffling and frustrating.

Sometimes it takes fresh eyes to rescue a cold case. I hope fresh eyes get to see this case- sooner than later.

Hey dotr- this shut off after about 5 minutes and I can't figure how to get back to it. Any suggestions?
Well i did say it was brief, lol! Sorry, that was just a trailer for the show- but thought it was handy because it told the basic story in a short time.

ETA Listening to this atm.
August 10, 2017
Few clues and many questions in Georgia’s Lake Oconee beheading cold case
''Macon Telegraph reporter Joe Kovac and Cold Case Research Institute Director Sheryl McCollum join Nancy Grace in this Crime Stories episode to examine the mystery of the Lake Oconee murders.

Also read Joe Kovac’s reporting: Vicious enemy’ may have killed Dermonds; Lake Oconee murders now 3 years cold''

Last edited:
I keep coming back to this but I can't believe they were living and maintaining this incredibly huge house. At their age and with their frailties! It's nuts. I can't help but think the house needed constant maintenance. I'm sure or hope anyway that they've gone over all workers who had been to the house over the years. If not, it might not be a bad idea.

I know what made me have an aha moment was when I saw how big the back of the house is and all those windows!

To keep those windows clean, they had to have hired professional window cleaners for inside and out and in every room.

Bringing awareness to Russell and Shirley this weekend and their horrific murders. We need to keep remembering them every Kentucky Derby weekend. Praying for the murderers to be caught and prosecuted. I'm not holding out hope but I will always remember this lovely couple on the anniversary of their deaths at the hands of evil .

I’m quite new to Websleuths. I have been following the Dermond murders case for a while. In my opinion the brutal way in which the Dermonds were both murdered was personal. Someone/s deeply hated them possibly for many years. The crime was well planned possibly months in advance. It’s interesting the weekend that the Dermonds were murdered the Derby was on and a couple of close neighbours were away. What I find interesting was that one of their sons said he used to phone his parents everyday to talk to them. Sheriff Sills said they were murdered between Friday and Saturday. Their friends came to their house on the Tuesday to check on the couple and found Mr Dermond’s headless body in garage. I’m surprised the son that said he rang his parents every day didn’t raise the alarm because they wouldn’t have been able to answer the phone FridayFriday/Saturday onwards wnd weren’t found by their friends until Tuesday. Wouldn’t he have been worried about his parents not answering their phone or did he just choose not to call them those days after they were murdered. I saw the son’s interview with a journalist and thought he was nervous throughout the interview not directly answering the question about whether he had anything to do with his parents murder. I also find it somewhat odd that apart from one of the children putting out one plea for information about Dermonds death none of the children have actively pursued justice for their parents in media. I’m thinking of things such as setting up a Facebook page or website, doing interviews, hiring private investigators etc. They also haven’t put up any reward money. Money and/or revenge is often the root cause of brutal murders. Just my opinion

I’m quite new to Websleuths. I have been following the Dermond murders case for a while. In my opinion the brutal way in which the Dermonds were both murdered was personal. Someone/s deeply hated them possibly for many years. The crime was well planned possibly months in advance. It’s interesting the weekend that the Dermonds were murdered the Derby was on and a couple of close neighbours were away. What I find interesting was that one of their sons said he used to phone his parents everyday to talk to them. Sheriff Sills said they were murdered between Friday and Saturday. Their friends came to their house on the Tuesday to check on the couple and found Mr Dermond’s headless body in garage. I’m surprised the son that said he rang his parents every day didn’t raise the alarm because they wouldn’t have been able to answer the phone FridayFriday/Saturday onwards wnd weren’t found by their friends until Tuesday. Wouldn’t he have been worried about his parents not answering their phone or did he just choose not to call them those days after they were murdered. I saw the son’s interview with a journalist and thought he was nervous throughout the interview not directly answering the question about whether he had anything to do with his parents murder. I also find it somewhat odd that apart from one of the children putting out one plea for information about Dermonds death none of the children have actively pursued justice for their parents in media. I’m thinking of things such as setting up a Facebook page or website, doing interviews, hiring private investigators etc. They also haven’t put up any reward money. Money and/or revenge is often the root cause of brutal murders. Just my opinion

Thank you for your well thought out opinion of this case. This case sticks with me- you make lots of good points. My concern quite honestly is that the police in this particular case have just not been on top of this case as they should be. From watching lots of true crime shows and reading lots of books as well, solving a crime often depends on the intelligence, tenacity and compassion of the detectives involved. I have seen too many detectives that don't have those qualities I mentioned. You see lots of cold cases solved years later after new detectives with fresh eyes look at the case anew. I hope this one gets solved, but I don't have lots of confidence.

Thank you for your well thought out opinion of this case. This case sticks with me- you make lots of good points. My concern quite honestly is that the police in this particular case have just not been on top of this case as they should be. From watching lots of true crime shows and reading lots of books as well, solving a crime often depends on the intelligence, tenacity and compassion of the detectives involved. I have seen too many detectives that don't have those qualities I mentioned. You see lots of cold cases solved years later after new detectives with fresh eyes look at the case anew. I hope this one gets solved, but I don't have lots of confidence.

Yes I understand what you are saying about the police investigation In my opinion they were too quick too dismiss family involvement. Sheriff Sills seemed quite happy they had passed lie detector tests. It had been demonstrated time and time again guilty people can pass these tests and not guilty people fail them. I know Sheriff Sills said he could find nothing in the Dermonds financial records to hint at motive for murder but often these things aren’t obvious. Like you I think they should get in some extra help to look at the case. Some Fresh eyes may really help come up with new lines of enquiry. JMO

Yes I understand what you are saying about the police investigation In my opinion they were too quick too dismiss family involvement. Sheriff Sills seemed quite happy they had passed lie detector tests. It had been demonstrated time and time again guilty people can pass these tests and not guilty people fail them. I know Sheriff Sills said he could find nothing in the Dermonds financial records to hint at motive for murder but often these things aren’t obvious. Like you I think they should get in some extra help to look at the case. Some Fresh eyes may really help come up with new lines of enquiry. JMO

Glad you brought up the issue of lie detector tests: So often I wind up screaming at my TV LOL-- IMO detectives rely far too much on lie detector tests: if someone passes, they tend to dismiss that person as a suspect, and if they fail, they immediately become high on the suspect list. Too often, sociopathic people can easily pass a lie detector tests and innocent people fail it. There was one case where they arrested this guy almost strictly based on his failing the lie detector test: there was hardly any evidence (if any) that he had committed the crime ( can't think of the name of the case): the poor guy went to trial, was convicted and spent years in prison before he was finally released because he was in fact INNOCENT.

Hey dotr- this shut off after about 5 minutes and I can't figure how to get back to it. Any suggestions?
This HLN episode (Real Life Nightmare) was only available to me via Xfinity/on-demand and not via CNN /shows website. I believe it was from the season that began Nov 2020 and although no new developments, it was a good refresher.

(Of note to me is that Sheriff Sills comes off better in this latest show than he has in prior, real-time interviews, etc). MOO

ETA: add more link with more about HLN episode
Unsolved double-murder of Putnam Co. couple to air on TV

Last edited:
https://www.macon.com/news/local/crime/article251143519.html

May 5, 2021

For seven years, the killings of Russell and Shirley Dermond at Lake Oconee have gone unsolved, the motive unknown and the culprit or culprits uncaught in a bizarre double slaying that has remained as baffling as it was heinous.

But a possible lead unearthed in recent months by Putnam County sheriff’s investigators working in conjunction with the FBI has detectives somewhat optimistic about a chance to finally zero in on a suspect.

[..]

“I am currently trying to obtain data of a highly technical nature that I believe will be fruitful. ... I’ve obtained some of it and I have reason to believe that when I obtain the rest of the data and sort it out that it may well lead me to a suspect or suspects in this case,” Sills said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back