US Virgin Is - Sarm Joan Lillian Heslop, 41, British, aboard vessel Siren Song, St. John, 7 Mar 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well he was reported buying towels a few weeks ago when he went ashore.

Considering the charter is advertised as all inclusive and includes towels, he must already have had loads...

"Mr Bane was last seen on Wednesday afternoon taking a dinghy to the shore before returning to his 47-ft catamaran with a plastic bag, sneakers and towels."

Missing Sarm Heslop's family's misery at being unable to travel to US Virgin Islands to help search | Daily Mail Online
Wonder if he had to replace his sneakers because he had to get rid of his old ones.

Detectives say they will apply for warrant after Ryan Bane blocked access to luxury catamaran where 41-year-old was reportedly last seen alive.

Police in the US Virgin Islands hunting for missing Sarm Heslop say they are renewing efforts to gain access to her boyfriend’s luxury yacht where she was reportedly last seen alive.
Police hunting for missing Sarm Heslop push to search boyfriend’s yacht as parents blocked from flying by covid restrictions

Same old same old. Talk but no action. Frustrating.

BBM

Yeah, that's basically it.

The 4th Amendment requires that police have a reasonable basis for believing that evidence of a crime may be present at a location before they can get a warrant to search it. That can be an issue in missing persons cases because people can go missing without any crime occurring. They can leave voluntarily, they can have an accident, etc. So the fact that Sarm is missing doesn't by itself give the police probable cause to search the boat. They need additional evidence that suggests a crime occurred and that evidence of it may be on the boat.

What I don't get is how they don't have that already. The bf himself told them that Sarm returned to the boat and then disappeared from it. And there's reportedly a dog-walker who heard a scream early in the morning. I'd think that would be enough by itself. And the fact that the bf stopped the coast guard from searching might be additional evidence they could use. Normally you can't use a refusal to allow a search as evidence supporting a search warrant since that would basically nullify the warrant requirement, but if the coast guard already had a legal right to search the boat then I think the bf obstructing that search could be used. And the fact they give him a citation suggests they did have that right. But I don't know maritime law or how it interacts with the 4th Amendment, so I'm just guessing.

Excellent argument for the Judge to hear in regards to obtaining a legal search warrant. In addition, if I may, Sarm has been missing for a month and a day or 32 days or far too long. Sarm was reported missing on March 7 and we're passed April 7th.

How long must Sarm be missing before they check the last place she was allegedly seen which was on the boat, Siren Song, with its Captain Bane?

The fact that some LEO may feel Sarm never made it aboard the Siren Song that night may be impeding progress. But, they need to search the boat for any inkling of evidence that may possibly remain, jic.

If they'll search using K9s trained to sniff cadaverine, a clean up involving bleach will not matter as dogs have special noses with numerous sensors that make it possible to sniff the two separate odors. Allow the K9s onto the dinghy, too.

Must there be another reason why they're not rushing for a search warrant in order to help locate Sarm? Otherwise, I don't understand the pretzel logic in a delay.

Excellent argument for the Judge to hear in regards to obtaining a legal search warrant. In addition, if I may, Sarm has been missing for a month and a day or 32 days or far too long. Sarm was reported missing on March 7 and we're passed April 7th.

How long must Sarm be missing before they check the last place she was allegedly seen which was on the boat, Siren Song, with its Captain Bane?

The fact that some LEO may feel Sarm never made it aboard the Siren Song that night may be impeding progress. But, they need to search the boat for any inkling of evidence that may possibly remain, jic.

If they'll search using K9s trained to sniff cadaverine, a clean up involving bleach will not matter as dogs have special noses with numerous sensors that make it possible to sniff the two separate odors. Allow the K9s onto the dinghy, too.

Must there be another reason why they're not rushing for a search warrant in order to help locate Sarm? Otherwise, I don't understand the pretzel logic in a delay.

I think publicly stating they're unsure if she even made it to the boat would make it even harder to obtain a warrant. You see judge, we need a warrant to search the boat even though we just said we're not even sure she made it back there. Obviously, they have to have probably cause but I think that's even harder when you state that publicly.

My hope is that there is video (it's everywhere nowadays) that can help investigators figure what happened that night. Horrible for the family. I will reserve judgement till I know more and obviously all of this is beyond suspicious, however, I think everything he has done since that phone call would be driven by his lawyer

The silence of Sarm's friends, family, police, news, Facebook page etc makes me wonder if there has been a recent development that is pending investigation / announcement. I'd rather think that than there have been zero developments at all.

MOO.

The silence of Sarm's friends, family, police, news, Facebook page etc makes me wonder if there has been a recent development that is pending investigation / announcement. I'd rather think that than there have been zero developments at all.

MOO.

I noticed the Find Sarm page has gone very quiet too. When there's been a huge effort to publicise someone's disappearance and keep the story in the MSM, it must be very hard to know whether and when to rein it in. I imagine there's a lot of guilt as well as sorrow.

There's mention made on the official Facebook page that Siren Song is accepting charters again, with how much authority it's hard to say. If so, I assume the outcome of any subsequent search will now become totally useless in a judicial context.

When I checked previously (which I've been doing regularly), all of the agents' websites had marked it as unavailable for charter, but one of them, CharterIndex, is now showing it as "Unavailable to US clients within US waters".

SIREN SONG - Luxury Yacht for Charter

Is there some procedural significance to this? I wonder if maintaining that status is what keeps it beyond the reach of the FBI? Which logically suggests that its location currently is outside their jurisdiction. Someone previously mentioned on the thread that RB being a US citizen automatically gives the FBI (or was it the USCG?) jurisdiction. Is it possible that he could renounce his citizenship while at sea in order to evade that? If so, and if he has, that would shout suspicious in 72pt bold neon imo. That's a lot of ifs though.

(I am also wondering who on earth would apply for the chef's job...)

JMO of course.

No more news on the developments into what has happened to Sarm. Like other posters have mention days are passing by with absolutely nothing.
I have been reading about all the missing people in past years and looking up info about how/why they went missing, but quite a lot are not even mentioned.
Also sad to see Sarm has been added to the list..

Missing People

I noticed the Find Sarm page has gone very quiet too. When there's been a huge effort to publicise someone's disappearance and keep the story in the MSM, it must be very hard to know whether and when to rein it in. I imagine there's a lot of guilt as well as sorrow.

There's mention made on the official Facebook page that Siren Song is accepting charters again, with how much authority it's hard to say. If so, I assume the outcome of any subsequent search will now become totally useless in a judicial context.

When I checked previously (which I've been doing regularly), all of the agents' websites had marked it as unavailable for charter, but one of them, CharterIndex, is now showing it as "Unavailable to US clients within US waters".

SIREN SONG - Luxury Yacht for Charter

Is there some procedural significance to this? I wonder if maintaining that status is what keeps it beyond the reach of the FBI? Which logically suggests that its location currently is outside their jurisdiction. Someone previously mentioned on the thread that RB being a US citizen automatically gives the FBI (or was it the USCG?) jurisdiction. Is it possible that he could renounce his citizenship while at sea in order to evade that? If so, and if he has, that would shout suspicious in 72pt bold neon imo. That's a lot of ifs though.

(I am also wondering who on earth would apply for the chef's job...)

JMO of course.

Interesting that it's available for rent except for by US citizens in US waters. Does that mean he'll take US citizens but not in the US waters?

Last edited:
Could it also be an indication that he has lost a licence of some description?

Yes. It could be that the Coast Guard revoked his OUPV license (or whatever license he has) for a whole range of reasons.

It could also be that he gets all his bookings from the US and the charter company doesn't want the enquiries, possibly.

Even if Sarm didn't make it back to the boat, her stuff is there, and that could certainly give clues. Who knows, maybe she kept a journal, either online or handwritten. Surely she had at the least a laptop or tablet. What's on it?

I wonder where all her stuff is? What has RB done with it?

Interesting about his bookings, and restrictions, and his licensing.

I think publicly stating they're unsure if she even made it to the boat would make it even harder to obtain a warrant. You see judge, we need a warrant to search the boat even though we just said we're not even sure she made it back there. Obviously, they have to have probably cause but I think that's even harder when you state that publicly.

My hope is that there is video (it's everywhere nowadays) that can help investigators figure what happened that night. Horrible for the family. I will reserve judgement till I know more and obviously all of this is beyond suspicious, however, I think everything he has done since that phone call would be driven by his lawyer
That could definitely be a hangup. If they have actual evidence that she wasn't on the dinghy going back to the boat (video/witness/etc), that means they will have a hard time arguing that the boat is the crime scene. However, I'd think that they still could get a warrant to search the boat.

If Sarm never returned to the boat, that's evidence that the bf lied on the calls to LE and presumably in his statements afterward. That implicates him in Sarm's disappearance and suggests that a crime may have occurred. And since he returned to the boat that evening, that still seems like a logical place to look for evidence related to that crime, even if it happened elsewhere.

That could definitely be a hangup. If they have actual evidence that she wasn't on the dinghy going back to the boat (video/witness/etc), that means they will have a hard time arguing that the boat is the crime scene. However, I'd think that they still could get a warrant to search the boat.

If Sarm never returned to the boat, that's evidence that the bf lied on the calls to LE and presumably in his statements afterward. That implicates him in Sarm's disappearance and suggests that a crime may have occurred. And since he returned to the boat that evening, that still seems like a logical place to look for evidence related to that crime, even if it happened elsewhere.

Agreed, but that's assuming they have evidence that she didn't make it back and not just their speculation

More reports via today's Daily Mail (UK) from the ex wife, including a suggestion that RB demonstrated cruelty to animals. She also suspected him of cheating on her.

EXCLUSIVE: 'He's already beaten me up. I'm worried he would still harm me.' Ex-wife of missing Sarm Heslop's boyfriend says she still lives in fear and now carries a .380 Smith & Wesson with her at all times

I'm not trusting of the DM at the best of times as they are so salacious. The fact that this lady has allowed herself to be photographed holding up her Smith & Wesson pistol with a look of distant vengeance also doesn't give me great reassurance. Feels a little like clickbait now. Does the DM incentivise folk with payment for this stuff?

BTW, I'm not suggesting for a second that she was not a victim at the hands of RB. DV is totally wrong and needs to be eradicated from society, IMO.

More reports via today's Daily Mail (UK) from the ex wife, including a suggestion that RB demonstrated cruelty to animals. She also suspected him of cheating on her.

EXCLUSIVE: 'He's already beaten me up. I'm worried he would still harm me.' Ex-wife of missing Sarm Heslop's boyfriend says she still lives in fear and now carries a .380 Smith & Wesson with her at all times

I'm not trusting of the DM at the best of times as they are so salacious. The fact that this lady has allowed herself to be photographed holding up her Smith & Wesson pistol with a look of distant vengeance also doesn't give me great reassurance. Feels a little like clickbait now. Does the DM incentivise folk with payment for this stuff?

BTW, I'm not suggesting for a second that she was not a victim at the hands of RB. DV is totally wrong and needs to be eradicated from society, IMO.

I agree. I too am not implying she was not a victim but it's as though she's making this about her and wanting to be in the spotlight. At this point, anytime I start to read what she has to say, I stop reading. If you feel so threatened that you're worried RB will show up at anytime, you should have done something about it in the last 3/4 of a decade. Stories about killing and cooking a deer and how RB got the dog in the divorce is not helping find Sarm

Despite the OTT presentation of the articles, if any of this is remotely true I think it is interesting and relevant. We now know he has killed and dismembered animals - this is something that not everyone would feel comfortable doing. If he did try to feed his wife the fawn she cared for this demonstrates to me that there is something more than potential angry outbursts at play; it comes across to me as quite sick and disturbed. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675