Australia- Jack, 15 & Jennifer Edwards, 13, shot dead, West Pennant Hills NSW, July 2018

I think they work... when the person they're held against isn't really a 'bad' person, they're just temporarily acting out of character and need a reminder to pull their heads in. Anyone truly violent or evil or with psychiatric conditions etc aren't going to pay attention to them at all. A girl from my year at school got one to protect her from her ex who would wait outside her house for hours, send her messages, etc. She never heard from him or saw him again, it worked. This was 15 years ago and he literally disappeared*. I think he was massively ashamed. I think a person incapable of feeling shame or being humbled is just going to get angered by an AVO, not learn from it.

*Given this is WS I should clarify I mean figuratively disappeared

RSBM

I absolutely disagree with you. When it gets to the point of restraining orders, it's far too late, for everyone involved.

Disagree with me if you wish, but it wasn't too late for my friend. Are you suggesting she should have allowed the harassment to continue, throw her hands up in the air and say there's nothing to do about it?

She got an AVO, and it worked. I'm sure a huge number of AVOs work which is why they're still a thing. We only ever hear in the media about the ones that don't.

“NSW Police have accepted responsibility for the deaths of two children who were shot and killed by their father in their Sydney home in 2018.

Key points:
  • A Coroner found the deaths of Jennifer and Jack Edwards were preventable
  • John Edwards was granted gun licences despite a history of domestic violence
  • Commissioner Fuller said "systems, processes" let down Olga, Jack and Jennifer Edwards
Jack and Jennifer Edwards were shot dead by 67-year-old John Edwards who then took his own life.

They were killed at the West Pennant Hills home they shared with their mother Olga Edwards who five months later took her own life.

"The systems, processes and people let Jack, Jennifer and Olga Edwards down, for that I am sorry. We have to take responsibility for their deaths," Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said in a statement.

"John Edwards should have never got access to firearms. As the NSW Police Commissioner, I need to make sure that can't happen again."

Top cop says police to blame for Sydney teens being shot dead by their father

“NSW Police have accepted responsibility for the deaths of two children who were shot and killed by their father in their Sydney home in 2018.

Key points:
  • A Coroner found the deaths of Jennifer and Jack Edwards were preventable
  • John Edwards was granted gun licences despite a history of domestic violence
  • Commissioner Fuller said "systems, processes" let down Olga, Jack and Jennifer Edwards
Jack and Jennifer Edwards were shot dead by 67-year-old John Edwards who then took his own life.

They were killed at the West Pennant Hills home they shared with their mother Olga Edwards who five months later took her own life.

"The systems, processes and people let Jack, Jennifer and Olga Edwards down, for that I am sorry. We have to take responsibility for their deaths," Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said in a statement.

"John Edwards should have never got access to firearms. As the NSW Police Commissioner, I need to make sure that can't happen again."

Top cop says police to blame for Sydney teens being shot dead by their father
And yet, he signed the order allowing this creep to have guns (plural). This is a whitewash and the commissioner and the cousin and good friend who gave him character references should be held culpable too.
He was on his sixth wife, and they didn't know anything about his past violent behaviour.
I dont believe that. This is the boy's club at work.

For those wanting to read the source material, here is the link to the Coroner’s Report. https://coroners.nsw.gov.au/documents/findings/2021/Inquest_into_the_deaths_of_John_Jack_and_Jennifer_Edwards_-_findings_of_State_Coroner_dated_7_April_2021.pdf

This report is 272 pages long, and I quote from paragraph 1143: “However, to describe this as a tragedy is to import a sense of inevitability, that nothing could have been done to change the outcome. Instead, the evidence before this Court plainly reveals that the deaths of Jack and Jennifer Edwards were preventable.”

An article reflecting on the systemic failures, and it notes that it remains unknown how John was able to find out Jennifer’s afternoon movements. I would guess a private investigator to whom John told some sad story about having his children stolen from him. I suppose we’ll never know.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...e/news-story/d57cd96c41748875cfdfc60caf95ce48

He was not meant to know where Jack, 15, and Jennifer, 13, were living.

But when he killed himself after shooting them dead on July 5, 2018, he had a piece of paper in his top left pocket with Jennifer's afternoon movements and a train timetable printed on it.
Despite an exhaustive investigation — canvassing the possibility John had hired a private investigator — police have never discovered where that piece of paper came from.

It allowed John to stalk Jennifer from Pennant Hills train station to her West Pennant Hills home and chase her inside, where Jack was glued to the computer game Fortnite.

He arrived at 4.59pm. Jennifer dropped her bag and fled down the hallway to Jack. She assumed the foetal position under his desk. The fiercely protective 15-year-old covered his sister with his body.
Australian killer John Edwards had a 24-year history of violence. Nobody stepped in to save his family - NZ Herald

Perhaps the most tragic twist of all was that Edwards was twice refused a gun licence before being granted a permit in 2017, less than a year before he gunned down his children.

The inquest heard Edwards was refused a gun licence in 2010, due to a prior AVO filed against him, and was again refused a permit by Ku-ring-gai Gun Club in 2016 after his behaviour concerned workers.

Insane twist in family’s horror murder-suicide

In 2017, as his and Olga’s battle in the Family Court was ramping up, Edwards was able to attend a gun club in Sydney’s west, fooling the workers there and fooling the NSW Firearms Registry to eventually legally obtain two guns.

The first gun he used to murder his two children, the second he used to take his own life.

The inquest heard NSW’s firearms registry had shown a “complete failure to recognise a history of domestic violence going back 24 years”.

Insane twist in family’s horror murder-suicide

Some of the blame was also shouldered by police.

Despite his domestic violence history, police’s inability to properly file two allegations Olga made against her abusive and estranged husband meant he was able to legally obtain the guns.

Olga made her first report in December 2016, when she described three instances to police of John assaulting Jennifer and Jack.

Police “erroneously recorded” it as “domestic violence - no offence detected”.

“Had the incident been categorised as assault or domestic violence, it would’ve appeared in the (firearm registry’s) system in relation to John’s suitability of holding gun,”

She said much of the behaviour displayed by Edwards after the separation, including the note on his desk and a reference to “my abducted children” in an email, was typical of perpetrators who end up in the family court system

“Most people using violence and abuse in relationships actually identify as the victim, as the aggrieved,” Ms Foster said.

In February 2018, a judge granted sole custody to Olga, noting it was up to the children whether or not they continued to see their father. They did not want to.
Around this time, a family friend told police, Edwards “started to become more serene” and “seemed like he was moving on with things”.
“He started to talk about things other than Olga, he didn’t seem to need to debrief about what was happening with her,” the friend said in her witness statement.

It was also around this time, Magistrate O’Sullivan found, that Edwards decided to kill Jack and Jennifer.

Chilling note found at killer dad’s home

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back