MN - Daunte Wright, 20, fatally shot by police during traffic stop, Brooklyn Center, 11 April 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fantasy was that two officers were talking to him while Mrs. Potter remained in the police vehicle pulling up his records, that she found them and then launched herself because she perceived a risk because of what she had learned.
But the bit of the convo we heard suggested they male officers already knew because of their reference to him running.
I don't think I have any more to say about this case unless new information becomes available. Unlikely with no bystander info.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

I'm one of the people who like to know the facts and all the evidence that I can before I jump to conclusions. From my point of view, I don't think any of this makes anyone happy and even though it may seem as if some are giving her the benefit of the doubt I would bet that a very high percentage are not cutting her any slack.

I don't agree with how KP handled the situation after DW tried to flee his arrest. However, IMO KP knew that his warrant was for an illegal possession of a gun and not appearing at his hearing. It's reasonable to think that she thought he was going for a weapon in his car and that is why she reacted by trying to stop him by tasing him.

I try really hard to look at all the facts and really consider the situation and all the potential risks involved. It's hard to do sometimes.

DW didn't deserve to be shot. This is tragic beyond words and KP needs to be held accountable for her actions.

Sending a virtual hug to all my fellow WS'ers!!!!!
Very well stated and mirrors my own thoughts.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

I'm one of the people who like to know the facts and all the evidence that I can before I jump to conclusions. From my point of view, I don't think any of this makes anyone happy and even though it may seem as if some are giving her the benefit of the doubt I would bet that a very high percentage are not cutting her any slack.

I don't agree with how KP handled the situation after DW tried to flee his arrest. However, IMO KP knew that his warrant was for an illegal possession of a gun and not appearing at his hearing. It's reasonable to think that she thought he was going for a weapon in his car and that is why she reacted by trying to stop him by tasing him.

I try really hard to look at all the facts and really consider the situation and all the potential risks involved. It's hard to do sometimes.

DW didn't deserve to be shot. This is tragic beyond words and KP needs to be held accountable for her actions.

Sending a virtual hug to all my fellow WS'ers!!!!!

I don't think many officers who think a suspect is going for a gun are going to respond by going for their taser.

I don't think many officers who think a suspect is going for a gun are going to respond by going for their taser.

Even if no weapon is seen by LE and only suspected?

Considering the location is only 10 miles from Minneapolis and with the GF trial in full force I would bet the majority of LE is hyper aware of their actions. That's what makes this unjustified police shooting even more jaw dropping. jmo

Interesting point and one I hadn't considered.
I don't believe taser use was justified in these circumstances.

Was she pretending she was going to tase him?
Did she really intend shooting him\/
\all we got was her 'Oh *advertiser censored*' but we did see the muzzle of her gun held in very steady hands, inconsistent with either an error in device being used but consistent with the trigger she chose to pull when she did.
Back to the drawing board...

I can be and am extremely sympathetic to him, he was scared. But, I can also believe that lack of respect and mistrust on both sides is part of the problem. Police do need to be better trained - no doubt. But, I also believe at some point, kids need to be taught to respect authority as well. Fight or flight is within each of us. JMHO

No, but she didn't try to use deadly force. She tried to use a taser which is NOT deadly. Yes, she made a MISTAKE, she is human. And, she will pay for that mistake with her freedom, her job, and her mental health.

But, you keep claiming that the kid had the right to fear police because of the color of his skin. Can't the same hold true that cops now have a greater fear because of the badge that they wear? The few bad apples on both sides of the equation have made it harder. I can't see any reason to believe that this was race driven. They had probable cause to stop him, they had probable cause to arrest him, he tried to flee. Yes, getting back in the vehicle was fleeing - just like his previous experience, only this time he had a motor vehicle. He didn't deserve to die, but I see an officer trying to use non-lethal means to stop a fleeing criminal. Isn't that what we have been asking of cops? Non-lethal means of stopping the criminals? This was a terrible, terrible tragedy all the way around.

Tasers can be deadly if aimed at the chest. Taser training recommends LE not aim at areas like the groin, face and chest. Considering she shot DW in the chest she wasn't following protocol. If we can excuse LE who've had training in the proper use of a taser then surely we can excuse an individual stopped by LE to be mistrustful of LE. It's not as if this scenario is new. Minnesota LE have killed 7 people using tasers.

As awful as this situation is I just can’t understand how anyone thinks it was intentional. Kim Potter made a deadly mistake when reacting to DW resisting.
She is being charged and will be held accountable.

I completely agree @SugarQueen! There is no way Kim Potter got up that morning planning this. We all make mistakes. Yes, tragically, this one was terrible and led to a life being lost..There will be consequences for Kim Potter, but let us not forget... Nobody is superhuman... We are ALL susceptible to making mistakes, especially when in crisis. She had a Rookie with her as well, which added another layer.

Last edited:
That's a picture of comparing A gun to A taser. Not every taser is yellow like that one, and hers certainly looked nothing like that in the video. It looked black, which many, if not most, of them are.

Shame on him for letting that pic be plastered all over if that isn't an identical taser to the one she used.

Can you share link and time stamp where her taser (or the other officers) is visible? Thanks much.

That's a picture of comparing A gun to A taser. Not every taser is yellow like that one, and hers certainly looked nothing like that in the video. It looked black, which many, if not most, of them are.

Shame on him for letting that pic be plastered all over if that isn't an identical taser to the one she used.

Where are you seeing an image of KP's taser in that video?

It is my understanding from somewhere on a Major News site, that he did not meet as agreed with his patrol officer. However, I don't currently have a link, so, please, check that out and post here?!
With that said. If I personally were charged with the crimes Daunte Wright was charged with, I would be SO on top of what's going to happen next, and what I should do to comply. Yes, even at 20 years old.
The last thing I would do, is get into more trouble. MOO

Questions...

In regards to notices being sent to a wrong address - DW was out on bail waiting to appear in court in August, is that correct? If so, wouldn't he have had to be meeting with a parole officer regularly? Was he? If he was, why wasn't he informed at one of those meetings?

Also, does anyone know if the officer's hearing today at 1:30 will be televised?

Can you share link and time stamp where her taser (or the other officers) is visible? Thanks much.
How Could an Officer Mistake a Gun for a Taser?
Body-camera footage from the scene of Mr. Wright’s killing does not show how Officer Potter carried her weapons. But Deputy Obayashi said it does show her fellow officer with his gun on one side of his body and his Taser on the other side, holstered so that either weapon could easily be grabbed by his dominant hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaye 502