OH - Ma’Khia Bryant, 16, fatally shot multiple times by Columbus police officer, 20 April 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Franklin County Children Services released a statement saying that Bryant, 16, was a foster child who was under the care of the Franklin County Children Services. “This was a tragic incident and FCCS is continuing its involvement with the family throughout this difficult time,” the release says, naming Bryant and saying she was fatally shot in Southeast Columbus.

"The girl’s aunt, Hazel Bryant, told The Dispatch that Bryant lived in a foster home and “got into an altercation with someone else at the home.” She said Ma’Khia had a knife but alleged she dropped it before being shot multiple times by a Columbus police officer."

I imagine life is hard in a foster home. Personalities can clash from children growing up with tough circumstances and without the love & nurturing they need.

Source

That's clearly not true though, she did not drop the knife before being shot. She was clearly about to stab the girl in pink when the officer shot her.

It's tragic, but this isn't a George Floyd situation.

In a Facebook video taken in the aftermath of the shooting, upset residents can be seen talking about what happened when a nearby officer appears to yell to them: “Blue lives matter.” One of the residents can be seen reacting angrily, saying: “Blue lives matter? Crazy. That’s an insult, especially at this place right now.”

Separately, The Washington Post reported Tuesday that another cop on the scene was wearing a “blue lives matter” face mask.

Ohio Cop Shouted ‘Blue Lives Matter’ at Neighbors After Colleague Shot Teen Black Girl

Last edited:
In a Facebook video taken in the aftermath of the shooting, upset residents can be seen talking about what happened when a nearby officer appears to yell to them: “Blue lives matter.” One of the residents can be seen reacting angrily, saying: “Blue lives matter? Crazy. That’s an insult, especially at this place right now.” Separately, The Washington Post reported Tuesday that another cop on the scene was wearing a “blue lives matter” face mask.

Ohio Cop Shouted ‘Blue Lives Matter’ at Neighbors After Colleague Shot Teen Black Girl

It does sound like one officer said “ Blue lives matter”. As true as that is it wasn’t the time ,or place for that. If that is what he said he should be reprimanded.

One result of this will be, imo, more and more people who are reluctant to call LE when help is needed. The perception can be that someone will die of the cops show up.

jmo
Another result, imo, will be that cops take their time answering calls from any neighborhood that isn't majority white because the perception will be that if the situation gets dangerous enough that they have to fire their weapon, their life will be ruined.

Another result, imo, will be that cops take their time answering calls from any neighborhood that isn't majority white because the perception will be that if the situation gets dangerous enough that they have to fire their weapon, their life will be ruined.
So, dereliction of duty, racism, and discrimination?

jmo

Anyone take a look at how much time between the officer arriving and MB trying to stab the girl in pink? It’s roughly 12 seconds. The officer had NO time to calm the situation, NO time to try and “tackle” MB.
His options were save the girl in pink, or stand there and let MB stab her.
People put LE in these situations and then complain when something happens.

Ohio police kill black teenage girl seen threatening others with knife

The officer who opened fire was not identified but appears from the video to be white. The chief said he "would be taken off the street" pending an investigation.

Officer Woods said the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) had opened an inquiry into the case.

The city's public safety director, Ned Pettus, Jr, appealed for calm while the investigation proceeds and facts are uncovered in what he called "a devastating" loss of life.

"BCI will conduct a fully independent investigation, which will be made public. If an officer has violated policy or the law, if they have, they will be held accountable," Mr Pettus said.

"Fast, quick answers cannot come at the cost of accurate answers."

Anyone take a look at how much time between the officer arriving and MB trying to stab the girl in pink? It’s roughly 12 seconds. The officer had NO time to calm the situation, NO time to try and “tackle” MB.
His options were save the girl in pink, or stand there and let MB stab her.
People put LE in these situations and then complain when something happens.
She did have a knife and was going after the other girl. That really does seem to be the case.

I'm actually surprised the cop was able to take that all in so quickly, to be honest.

It's also possible to feel sad at the same time as understanding the cop does seem to have been saving the other girl from harm. I'd like to think we can handle having complex reactions to the situation, though I might be disappointed in that expectation.

jmo

Ohio police kill black teenage girl seen threatening others with knife

The officer who opened fire was not identified but appears from the video to be white. The chief said he "would be taken off the street" pending an investigation.

Officer Woods said the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) had opened an inquiry into the case.

The city's public safety director, Ned Pettus, Jr, appealed for calm while the investigation proceeds and facts are uncovered in what he called "a devastating" loss of life.

"BCI will conduct a fully independent investigation, which will be made public. If an officer has violated policy or the law, if they have, they will be held accountable," Mr Pettus said.

"Fast, quick answers cannot come at the cost of accurate answers."
So far, they seem to be handling the aftermath well. Transparency and honesty tend to be the best approach, imo. IIRC, any officer involved with discharging a firearm is at least temporarily taken off street duty - not sure if that is accurate but perhaps someone with better knowledge can pipe in.

jmo

She did have a knife and was going after the other girl. That really does seem to be the case.

I'm actually surprised the cop was able to take that all in so quickly, to be honest.

It's also possible to feel sad at the same time as understanding the cop does seem to have been saving the other girl from harm. I'd like to think we can handle having complex reactions to the situation, though I might be disappointed in that expectation.

jmo

It IS a very sad situation. MB was 16. None of this needed to happen.
Things have to change but that change isn’t all on the police. Young people have to be taught to keep themselves out of these situations.
In this situation the officer didn’t have any options. I agree, it’s amazing he could take it all in. Everything happened so d@mn fast.

So far, they seem to be handling the aftermath well. Transparency and honesty tend to be the best approach, imo. IIRC, any officer involved with discharging a firearm is at least temporarily taken off street duty - not sure if that is accurate but perhaps someone with better knowledge can pipe in.

jmo

I don't know about specific policies, but I also felt that the dept got out ahead of things as far as transparency, by holding the presser and showing the cam footage.

Since we're all Monday-morning-quarterbacking here - I have to wonder why in this instance (and others where the other person doesn't have a gun but some other weapon) why a taser isn't/wasn't used.

It IS a very sad situation. MB was 16. None of this needed to happen.
Things have to change but that change isn’t all on the police. Young people have to be taught to keep themselves out of these situations.
In this situation the officer didn’t have any options. I agree, it’s amazing he could take it all in. Everything happened so d@mn fast.
It is a sad situation, at 16, MB was still maturing and that sometimes results in bad and not well thought decisions. It was tragic but looking at the footage in real time and slow motion, I can't see LE making any other decision. The girl in pink would have been injured. Everything happened too fast. I would think that the girl in pink is probably relieved that she was not injured and was glad to have the police there to protect her. If the police officers in fact shouted blue live matters and were wearing those logos, they should be reprimanded. It is not the right message to drive as a public server.

Since we're all Monday-morning-quarterbacking here - I have to wonder why in this instance (and others where the other person doesn't have a gun but some other weapon) why a taser isn't/wasn't used.

taser isn’t always effective.
Let’s be honest here, this officer had approximately 12 seconds from the time he got out of the car until the times the girls in pink was attacked.

This situation was tragic - all the way around. I have absolute sympathy for Makiyah's family. She is dead, and they all can watch that happen on video again and again. I feel bad for Makiyah because she was so young and made a horrible mistake that ended her life. I feel bad for the LE officers that were there. I can't imagine how it would feel to shoot anyone, let alone such a young girl. I feel bad for the girls that were there fighting with Mikiyah - the ones that survived, but were attacked. I feel bad for the community as they take in what happened. It is a complex situation, but the LE officer's duty is to protect. There were at least 2 other young girls that were in danger during this very quick situation.

I can't imagine having to make a decision in such a short space of time - let someone get injured or possibly killed, or kill another to save one or more people. Yes, it was a knife; but, she tried right in front of the officer to stab one girl and then turned her attention to the other girl so quickly. She didn't stop because the police were there. She didn't stop or even slow down their arrival. Time was not afforded at this scene. Yes, knives can kill, not just wound.

I think the police did the right thing on immediately releasing the body cam footage so that the community can see that this was not an execution of a teen by the police officer. Also, it is helpful to dispel comments made by family that are misleading - the knife was NOT dropped by Makiyah before she was shot - she was in the process of attacking another girl. It is much easier to sit comfortably at home and make comments; but it is much harder to be on the front line and have to do your job and make split second decisions. JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo