OH - Ma’Khia Bryant, 16, fatally shot multiple times by Columbus police officer, 20 April 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have to wonder. He wasn't the only officer on scene. There are SO MANY nonfatal options now, we've seen them used on protesters at Standing Rock and over the summer. Not just tazers, but beanbag guns and rubber bullets. WHY aren't these being used more? They were coming to a call of a girl with a knife. So get out ready with one of these other options available. So sad.

Since we're all Monday-morning-quarterbacking here - I have to wonder why in this instance (and others where the other person doesn't have a gun but some other weapon) why a taser isn't/wasn't used.
No time for a taser. She would have stabbed the unarmed girl.

This officer reacted incredibly quickly to save the life of the unarmed teenagers.

I feel badly for the girl who was killed as well. If at age 16 she was going to stab/slash another teenager surely something was absent in her parenting/guardians/upbringing that allowed her to think this was acceptable.

OTOH a 16 year old certainly is old enough to know that killing another girl is wrong.
MOO

Ok, so he had to shoot her, but did he need to shoot to kill?
Police as well as anyone who has taken a firearms class for personal safety is taught to shoot center mass. A wounded threat is made even more dangerous, violent, angry, and desperate than a non-wounded threat. Whether an officer or private citizen, you shoot to eliminate the threat.

If he would have shot her in the leg she still could have stabbed or slashed the unarmed victim.

Since we're all Monday-morning-quarterbacking here - I have to wonder why in this instance (and others where the other person doesn't have a gun but some other weapon) why a taser isn't/wasn't used.
I’m going to add my Monday morning quarterbacking. There were other adults there (at least 4). Why didn’t they stop the girl with the knife before the officers arrived. The man with the hooded sweatshirt was close, he could have tackled her. This scene was not safe for anyone there. There was a reason LE was called. IMO

I’m going to add my Monday morning quarterbacking. There were other adults there (at least 4). Why didn’t they stop the girl with the knife before the officers arrived. The man with the hooded sweatshirt was close, he could have tackled her. This scene was not safe for anyone there. There was the reason LE was called. IMO

Dude in the hoodie was too busy kicking that girl in the head.

af768700-knife-attack.jpeg

You can see the knife in Makiyah's hand as she is about to stab the other girl. The officer did the right thing by shooting and therefore saving the other girl from great bodily injury or death. JMO

Ohio police officer fatally shoots teenage girl who appears to hold a knife during fight, video shows

I feel badly for the girl who was killed as well. If at age 16 she was going to stab/slash another teenager surely something was absent in her parenting/guardians/upbringing that allowed her to think this was acceptable.

OTOH a 16 year old certainly is old enough to know that killing another girl is wrong.
MOO

She very well could have had mental health issues (and could be why she was in the system as well). Not saying this is the case, but it's definitely possible. My older daughter (now 18) has severe mental health issues. She is on the spectrum, has rapid cycling bipolar 1, and psychosis. I can't count the times we had to have the police come and take her to be hospitalized starting at age 13. We TRIED to turn her over to the Ministry because we couldn't get her the help that she needed and felt like they might have been able to, unfortunately, they wouldn't take her and she has severely deteriorated. But it *might* be a situation like that.

Columbus, Ohio police chief discusses killing of 15-year-old by officers. Watch LIVE: https://kvia.com/livestream-events/

He’s releasing 911 calls and more bodycam video.

In the call, a woman is heard telling the dispatcher an address and saying that people were "over here trying to fight us, trying to stab us, trying to put hands on our grandma." Screaming and yelling can be heard in the background of the call.

"We need a police officer over here now," the voice on the call says. "We need a crisis officer over here now."

Police chief just said the shooting officer's name is Nicholas Reardon

Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther calls Ma’Khia Bryant’s death a failure of the community. Still withholding judgement on whether officer acted correctly but says if not he will be held accountable

officer may not not have had "cover, distance and time" to use a Taser

Columbus Safety Ned Pettus Jr. says we do not have the information right now to determine what would have happened if the officer had not fired those shots. "Fast facts should not come at the cost of complete and accurate facts."

Last edited:
Now why would they get involved when its easier to let the police take the blame for everything...and of course then post oa *** for whatever reason. I fear we will see a LOT more of these 'fights' going on just to push agendas. Yep, i'm jaded.
Lets move on to the reason she was in foster care. Her mother and aunt are talking about what a smart, lovely young lady she was. Why in the system?
I wish everyone would quit vilifying the police UNTIL the full stories come out. They were called murderers of an little girl within 2 minutes of this happening..

BBM

I agree with waiting until the full story comes out in theory but I do believe that part of the responsibility for this reaction is on the police. I am happy to provide a list of examples if anyone disputes what I am about to write but the police have historically been first to release their version of events which then becomes widely reported in the media. The problem is that their version of events has on several occasions proved to be inaccurate at best or an outright lie at worst.

IMO it now appears when there is a police involved shooting like this with witnesses -that family of the victim and a wider community of proponents of police reform are now racing to get their version of events to the media and the court of public opinion first. I understand why they wish to do this but in some cases this version is also filled with inaccuracies. This case appears to be one of them.

In my own life the majority of the people who are suddenly saying "wait until the full story comes out" when advocates for the victim share their version of events are people who were (and still are) plenty happy to accept the police version when that version is reported first (or it's the only version reported).

Earlier in your post you wrote fights as 'fights'... are you saying you believe this was not a real fight? Or that in the future we will see a lot of cases of manufactured 'fights' just to provoke a responding police officer to kill someone? I ask because I am having trouble following this thought process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member