Found Safe Canada - O’Driscoll-Zak sisters, 2 & 5, abduction by aunt & grandmother, Cochrane, 12 Mar 2021

I'm surprised that she still has a job, but her profile is still on the team webpage.

"PROFILE: ALISON O’DRISCOLL - LEGAL ASSISTANT
Alison_BW_SQ256.jpg

Alison began her work in the legal profession as a receptionist and intake worker at a not-for -profit law office, during which time she also gained experience as a social benefits advocate and client services coordinator. Alison then joined a law firm in Calgary that practised mainly corporate/commercial and regulatory matters and further expanded her experience to include law office administration and legal assisting.

Alison was thrilled to join the Maverick Law team in July 2020 and primarily assists with corporate/commercial law, estate/probate law, and litigation files.

Alison loves animals, likes to cook, enjoys violating the law by kidnapping her own nieces and depriving them of their right to be with their father, and depriving him of his legal right to full custody, and spends as much time outside as possible."
Team Profile Maverick Law Bragg Creek / Redwood Meadows

I fixed it. They left some things out of the "Alison loves" section.

Over recent years I've picked up an interest in the Canadian legal system. Contrasted with our US system it is... interesting. I'm glad these kids were found alive and assuming they're physically undamaged I'm sure they still have the potential to grow up perfectly normal.

Now, the details about the handling of these characters is what I'm still tuning in for. Seems like there are some almost-official accusations of some crazy stuff and some tacit indications of support from her workplace. Something strange is going on here. Most likely in someone's head but will we even get to know about that, even through court documents? I expect this will disappear from Canadian news very quickly now.

If those who were involved with the abduction enter a not guilty plea, I’m quite sure trial proceedings would be reported by the media. However there’s also the possibility portions are placed under a publication ban due to the involvement of minors. But I’d think the maternal family have already waived any right to privacy if they’ve shared details involving the custodial feud on SM.

Otherwise you’re probably right, if they plead guilty and accept the consequences for their actions and there’s no further court motions or appeals put forth, if they back down from the feud then the case will disappear from the news. And so then we can only hope there’s a way forward toward happiness in the future for everyone involved.

JMO

If those who were involved with the abduction enter a not guilty plea, I’m quite sure trial proceedings would be reported by the media. However there’s also the possibility portions are placed under a publication ban due to the involvement of minors. But I’d think the maternal family have already waived any right to privacy if they’ve shared details involving the custodial feud on SM.

Otherwise you’re probably right, if they plead guilty and accept the consequences for their actions and there’s no further court motions or appeals put forth, if they back down from the feud then the case will disappear from the news. And so then we can only hope there’s a way forward toward happiness in the future for everyone involved.

JMO
Are they the type to quietly plea guilty? Hope so, but I have my doubts.

jmo

JMO
I think the result of the criminal charges will be reported by the media, even if charges are (very unlikely) dropped. I think the public are more invested in this case than others, and there is the legal need to discourage anyone else from trying this.

IMO, even if they plead guilty, the judge will make a ruling and apply a sentence, as well as a speech about the situation to try to bring a sense of justice being served and the matter being laid to rest.

This case from 2014, an Alberta mother abducted the 2 girls, all found safe in BC

WS thread

The mom pled guilty and was sentenced. Plea and sentencing was publicized.

With credit for time served, she spent no time in prison.

Oh I didn’t mean we won’t know if they plead guilty, I didn’t word that well. During the sentencing Victim Impact Statements are usually reported as well. What I was referring to is aspects of the abduction including evidence to prove guilt or their defence of why they abducted the children won’t be required if they choose to plead guilty.

We’re also likely not to learn anything further about parenting arrangements unless further feuding continues. Family court hearings are also confidential, aside than the specific motions and appeals initiated by the mother as recorded on Canlii.

Last edited:
Are they the type to quietly plea guilty? Hope so, but I have my doubts.

jmo

I can’t imagine many defence scenarios other than somebody gave them assurance this was the appropriate action to take, such as a lawyer who was confident a stay would be granted.

If JOZ continues to declare she knew nothing about the abduction and they do plead not guilty it could make for an interesting trial. The mother could become a prosecution witness if the story goes the grandmother and aunt absconded with the children without informing her. So IMO they may plead guilty to take the fall because I think the odds are very low they’d be found not guilty regardless. Five weeks is a long time to stay in hiding and it appears had the RCMP not found them, they still weren’t prepared to voluntarily come forward.

I can’t imagine many defence scenarios other than somebody gave them assurance this was the appropriate action to take, such as a lawyer who was confident a stay would be granted.

If JOZ continues to declare she knew nothing about the abduction and they do plead not guilty it could make for an interesting trial. The mother could become a prosecution witness if the story goes the grandmother and aunt absconded with the children without informing her. So IMO they may plead guilty to take the fall because I think the odds are very low they’d be found not guilty regardless. Five weeks is a long time to stay in hiding and it appears had the RCMP not found them, they still weren’t prepared to voluntarily come forward.
I 100% agree with you....but imo this group doesn't think rationally and might try to fight the system. I hope they do the right thing, though, at last.

jmo

Oh I didn’t mean we won’t know if they plead guilty, I didn’t word that well. During the sentencing Victim Impact Statements are usually reported as well. What I was referring to is aspects of the abduction including evidence to prove guilt or their defence of why they abducted the children won’t be required if they choose to plead guilty.

We’re also likely not to learn anything further about parenting arrangements unless further feuding continues. Family court hearings are also confidential, aside than the specific motions and appeals initiated by the mother as recorded on Canlii.

Sorry Misty, your post was fine. I was actually replying to Satchie's post which I neglected to quote.

I can’t imagine employing someone at a law firm with that criminal charge, also doesn’t fit with the teaching or practice of yoga.

As a law firm, I'm sure they're thinking "innocent until proven guilty" and warding off the potential for any wrongful dismissal suit in the event she was to be found NG.

Grandmother and aunt of Cochrane girls allegedly abducted are granted bail

Pair charged in abduction of Cochrane girls granted bail | Calgary Herald

Not really a surprise they were granted bail, more from your link -

“At (Defence lawyer, Balfour) Der’s request, Cummings imposed a publication ban on the hearing, which included the judge’s reasons for releasing them.

Cummings ordered cash bail of $10,000 be posted for each accused and they reside at the family’s Rocky View County acreage north of Cochrane.

They are also subject to a nightly curfew and are prohibited from contacting the girl’s father, his common-law wife and the alleged victims....

....Along with the cash bail, the women have been ordered to surrender any passports or travel documentation, are prohibited from possessing weapons and must report regularly while on release....”

They are also subject to a nightly curfew and are prohibited from contacting the girl’s father, his common-law wife and the alleged victims....
^^ rsbm

CMZ's common law wife? Huh?

I'm not even sure the parents of the children are legally divorced yet but sure sounds like another dig at the father here! MOO

Defence lawyer Balfour Der argued for the pair’s release.

At Der’s request, Cummings imposed a publication ban on the hearing, which included the judge’s reasons for releasing them.

I wonder if the publication ban requested by the attorney for the accused applies to the family social media page and the threads of allegations against several including the court?

I wish the Herald would have updated the public on the welfare of the children. It would be good to know they are OK. :eek:

^^ rsbm

CMZ's common law wife? Huh?

I'm not even sure the parents of the children are legally divorced yet but sure sounds like another dig at the father here! MOO

It didn't sound like a dig to me. That's what partners are called here, that aren't married but have resided together for over a year. Legally they're common law. 3 of my adult daughters were common law for years, and two still are. (The other one finally decided to get married).

jmo

It didn't sound like a dig to me. That's what partners are called here, that aren't married but have resided together for over a year. Legally they're common law. 3 of my adult daughters were common law for years, and two still are. (The other one finally decided to get married).

jmo
Thanks, @Ontario Mom -- I don't think I've ever seen a girlfriend or fiance referred to as the common-law wife in news media before!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RyanO9600
Back