FL FL - “Maritime John Doe", Wht, 65-75, maritime tattoo, Atlantic Ocean, Sep'03 - Donald H. Kirk

dotr

Reaction score

Do you know 'Maritime John Doe'? PBSO seeks help with 2003 cold case
April 30 2019
"The man’s body, complete with distinctive tattoos, was found in September 2003 off the Boynton Inlet. No one’s identified him since.

It has been nearly 16 years since the the body of man known to authorities only as “Maritime John Doe” was found floating in the Atlantic Ocean east of the Boynton Inlet.

On Tuesday, the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office released a new sketch and photos of a tattoo in hopes that someone from the public can help identify him.

On Sept. 7, 2003, the body was found floating about 5 miles east of the Boynton Beach Inlet."
"The man was white and estimated to be between the ages 65 and 75, the sheriff’s office said. He was 6 foot 1 inch and 175 pounds, with hazel eyes and reddish-brown hair. The man had a distinctive maritime-style tattoo on his right forearm. Investigators are attempting to determine the tattoo’s origin and meaning."

Well, I'd say it's a Navy tattoo:

RAlwI0d.jpg

And quite old. Looks like one my grandfather had that was 50+ years old.

Definitely looks like an old Navy tattoo.

Might want to add Palm Beach County, Florida to the thread title. He was found east of Boynton Beach Inlet and “may have drifted north from either Broward or Miami-Dade County.” According to the article linked above.

Here is his Namus profile:The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Original

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number--
ME/C Case Number2003-00977
Demographics
SexMale
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian
Possible First Name--
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Possible Nickname--
Estimated Age GroupAdult - Pre 80
Estimated Age Range (Years)65-75
Estimated Year of Death0-2003
Estimated PMI--
Height6' 1"(73 inches) , Estimated
Weight176 lbs, Estimated
Circumstances
TypeUnidentified Deceased
Date FoundSeptember 7, 2003
NamUs Case CreatedApril 7, 2008
ME/C QA Reviewed--
Location Found Map
Street Address5 miles east of the Boynton InletBoynton Beach, Florida
CountyPalm Beach County
GPS Coordinates--
Circumstances of RecoveryThe victim was located floating face down in a weed line approx. 5 miles east of the Boynton Inlet and 3 miles north, in Boynton Beach, Florida.
Details of Recovery

Inventory of Remains--
Condition of RemainsRecognizable face
Physical Description
Hair ColorRed/Auburn
Head Hair Descriptionbrown at the scalp
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorHazel
Right Eye ColorHazel
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features
Item
Description
Scar/mark
12 inch scar on the center of his stomach and back. To the left of the scar on his stomach was another 3 inch scar. 12 inch scar on his left shoulder blade. 1 in scar on neck. 9 in scar on abdomen. "zipper" 6 in scar on lumbar region

Tattoo
Old tattoo which appears to be an anchor or some type of Navy tattoo

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Accessories. back brace. Near the Body

Clothing
White t-shirt, white polo shirt with black and brown pinstripes on the border of the sleeves and neckline, khaki pants and brown socks
On the Body

Based on the age estimates he could have been active in the Navy during these conflicts:

Korean War (1950-1953) Communist North Korea, supported by China, invaded non-communist South Korea. UN forces, principally made up of U.S. troops, fought successfully to protect South Korea.

Bay of Pigs (1961) The U.S. orchestrated the invasion, an unsuccessful attempt by Cuban exiles to overthrow Fidel Castro's communist regime in Cuba.

Vietnam War (1961-1973) The United States joined the war on the side of South Vietnam in 1961, but withdrew combat troops in 1973.

Found floating 16 years ago: Can you ID 'Maritime John Doe?'
649x365

Investigators estimated that the body had been in the ocean for less than 24 hours and think it may have entered the water in Broward or Miami-Dade county and floated to the north.

At the time he was found, Maritime John Doe was believed to be between 65 and 75-years-old, weighing about 160 pounds with wavy red hair. He had been wearing a white T-shirt, white polo shirt with black and brown pin stripes on the border of the sleeves and neckline, khaki pants, blue underwear, brown socks, no shoes and had a brown, weaved leather belt.

Additionally, he was found to have two scars on this stomach — a 12-inch scar and a 3-inch scar next to it. He also had 12-inch scars on his back and left shoulder blade.
rbbm.

A litte off but struck me because of new reconstruction:
4764DMLA.jpg

Paul Allen LeBlanc
  • Case Classification: Endangered Missing
  • Missing Since: February 2, 2003
  • Location Last Seen: Covington, St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana
  • Date of Birth: November 18, 1933
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 69
  • Race: White
  • Height at Time of Disappearance: 72 inches 6ft.???(nvm doe was 6'1)
  • Weight at Time of Disappearance: 210 lbs.(could have lost weight in the months since vanishing)
  • Hair Color: Graying Black
  • Eye Color: Green
  • Alias(s) / Nickname(s): None
  • Distinguishing Marks/Features: Visible hair transplant along front hairline; scar from gall bladder removal.
  • Dentals: Unavailable
  • Fingerprints: Unavailable
  • DNA: Available
  • Clothing: Long-sleeved, white, pin striped, button-up dress shirt; dark colored wool slacks, possibly wearing a dark colored leather belt; Blue, gray & silver "Air Nike Wiz" athletic shoes (size 12).
Jewelry: "Gucci" watch with red and green round face.
  • Paul was last seen at approx. 2:00 pm at his residence near N. Azalea in Covington, LA. He was last seen leaving his residence to go for a bike ride but never returned. His bike has never been found. Paul had Parkinson's disease and also suffered from brief periods of memory loss and disorientation.

We're his scars looking older? Wearing a back brace could be related to his two large scars. Back and abdomen. maybe the local VA hospitals could run a check, probably done..... he must have had a really bad back to wear a brace in Florida weather. It's so hot there in September.

Bumping for the gentleman and the back brace. Someone should of recognized him especially if he had the old school tattoo and back brace. I wonder if he is someone who had a Florida Summer home and only lived there part time?

Found floating 16 years ago: Can you ID 'Maritime John Doe?'
fl-1556706957-ehw647cxim-snap-image

The body being referred to as "Maritime John Doe" was found floating off the Boynton Inlet in 2003 and may have entered the water in Broward or Miami-Dade, investigators said. Authorities hope a new sketch, released Tuesday, may help identify him. (Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office)

fl-1556706782-oof9y0ni7w-snap-image

Tattoo on the right forearm of the body being referred to as "Maritime John Doe" (Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office)
''One significant key to the identity of Maritime John Doe may be the distinctive tattoo on his right forearm — possibly an anchor or some type of Navy tattoo.

“We are attempting to determine its origin [or] meaning to help with identification,” sheriff’s office spokeswoman Teri Barbera said.

Investigators ask anyone with information to contact PBSO Detective John Cogburn at 561-688-4063 or by email at cogburnj@pbso.org.

Tips can also be phoned, anonymously, to Palm Beach County Crime Stoppers at 800-458-8477.''

I definitely agree on the Navy tattoo, clearly looks like an anchor with rope wrapped around it, and the U S N is pretty clear. These long-ago cases are so sad, and there's so much context that gets lost over the years. Theoretically, he had a home, possibly a family.... He was dressed well but clearly not out for a day at the beach... How did he get there?

Coffeeandacig hehehe...... do you see anything else on the tattoo??

it’s weird I know the last lette is supposed y to o be a N but it looks like an M to me.. I played with it a little bit only on my phone and it looks like an Eagle or bird over a anchor

Attachments

• 567DAF5F-7003-4FDD-BB1F-E3E04E1598AF.jpeg
    567DAF5F-7003-4FDD-BB1F-E3E04E1598AF.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 43

it’s weird I know the last lette is supposed y to o be a N but it looks like an M to me.. I played with it a little bit only on my phone and it looks like an Eagle or bird over a anchor

I think USN seems more likely than USM, because the Marines usually abbreviate: USMC (United States Marine Corp).

@madamx LOL! Everything has been noticed, I think, except for the torpedo breaking through the ships hull. It's that greenish colored object that is encircled by some flames at the top. It is both the top of the anchor and a stylized torpedo.

Definitely US Navy, and perhaps submariner, as the torpedo was a special touch.

Last edited:
@madamx LOL! Everything has been noticed, I think, except for the torpedo breaking through the ships hull. It's that greenish colored object that is encircled by some flames at the top. It is both the top of the anchor and a stylized torpedo.

Definitely US Navy, and perhaps submariner, as the torpedo was a special touch.

coffeeandacig ....you are the best!!! XxxxX

A few questions/observations on this case:
-What was cause of death? I did not see that indicated anywhere. If it's anything other than drowning then he didn't get 5 miles offshore without someone else being involved.
-If he was out fishing alone and fell off of his boat, where did it go? You'd think it would have been recovered somewhere
-His estimated age along with the back brace and his attire make the "out fishing alone" theory hard to believe.
Could this be a family granting a last wish to an old salt ? My elderly father who is born and raised in South Florida (and who served in the Navy) has joked many times that he wants a Viking funeral at sea when he dies.
Of course, if cause of death was drowning then that eliminates that possibility.
This case is perplexing....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back