GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully gitana will weigh in here, but in the Justine Damond case it was her Aussie father and brother who filed the lawsuit against the city of Minneapolis - and were awarded $20M.
Justine had no children, and her fiance (who Justine lived with in Minneapolis) was not part of the lawsuit.

Damond’s father John Ruszczyk and brother Jason filed a civil lawsuit against the city of Minneapolis last year and just days after the jury’s guilty verdict the city agreed to pay the family a record $US20 million.
https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/ja...nneapolis-ng-2dcd8483ea1fa57c7b92a62e855b5e46

It looks like JR was appointed as -

Trustee for the Next of Kin of Justine Maia Ruszczyk.
https://pa.courts.state.mn.us/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=1624738364

In GF's case it looks like an attorney will be acting as Trustee -

The family of George Floyd has filed a civil lawsuit against the city of Minneapolis and the four police officers involved in his death on May 25.

The lawsuit was filed by an attorney acting as trustee for Floyd’s next of kin, including his children and siblings.

George Floyd's Family Sues City of Minneapolis, Cops Involved in Death

ETA -

The named plaintiff in the case, Kaarin Nelson Schaffer, is a Minneapolis-area attorney who served as a trustee for Floyd’s next of kin.

Minneapolis City Council Approves $27 Million Settlement for Family of George Floyd

Last edited:
MSNBC Interview (Good interview MOO with new comments)

Prosecutors Speak To Lawrence After Chauvin Murder Conviction | The Last Word | MSNBC

ETA: Again, Blackwell uses the term the bystanders were "a bouquet of humanity" vs. angry crowd etc that Nelson was trying to push. What a great quote.

More Kudos for Dr. Tobin..... I would love to see him testify in another trial.

In this clip, they discussed and showed parts that he was "resting comfortably".. that Brodder's comment, per Blackwell, was "it was the one exchange that was essentially the indictment, the symbolic indictment of his entire testimony that went to his credibility. That it displayed that level of, frankly, his insensitivity"

And comment per Sch (sp? aka Indiana Jones)..that was outrageous testimony starting out as a premise that this wasn't a use of force it really was outrageous because understand that premise that this wasn't a use of force.. a restraint hold not likely to produce pain... how can you look at what was happening and make those words come out of your mouth that this wasn't likely to produce pain. From the beginning from his direct examination.... I thought was outrageous testimony and the explanation of his testimony on cross certainly didn't get any better...

*Stand up... Bravo*

Last edited:
This may have been posted before, but throwing it up to have back to back in case others haven't seen. Interview with the (now) 10 year old. Mom talks about that she is getting mental health care provided (I assume under victims assistance program through the courts as she refers to "help from the team" to get such)

This may have been posted before, but throwing it up to have back to back in case others haven't seen. Interview with the (now) 10 year old. Mom talks about that she is getting mental health care provided (I assume under victims assistance program through the courts as she refers to "help from the team" to get such)

Brave girl! Just 10 years old - she should play with friends and toys and enjoy the best part of life: childhood! Not watch a man dying in the street:( Shame!!!

This vvvvv is a message to the other three that the state is bringing some heavy duty charges and evidence. I hope they will plead and spare the Floyd family another trial and the city of Minneapolis more shutdowns.

"When the jury foreman tallied the votes that morning, one of the jurors recalled, there were 11 papers with a “G” written on them — guilty. One paper said “U,” for unsure.

The seven women and five men spent the next few hours poring over the evidence in one of the most closely watched trials in a generation, according to Brandon Mitchell, who has been the only juror to publicly describe the deliberations last week near Minneapolis. Mitchell said the jurors watched the graphic videos of Floyd’s death, discussed the testimony of many of the witnesses and experts, and created their own timeline using markers and a whiteboard. By lunchtime, Mitchell said, the juror who had been unsure, a white woman, had made up her mind: Chauvin was guilty of all charges."

Inside the Chauvin Jury Room: 11 of 12 Jurors Were Ready to Convict Right Away

STATE’S MEMORANDUM OF LAW IN SUPPORT OF BLAKELY AGGRAVATED SENTENCING FACTORS:
https://www.mncourts.gov/mncourtsgo...2646_Memorandum_2021-04-30_20210430160827.pdf

In their filing, the prosecution argues there are five factors that warrant an increased sentence:
State files request for aggravated sentence for Derek Chauvin
Floyd was a particularly vulnerable victim because he was handcuffed.
Floyd was treated with particular cruelty because Chauvin "inflicted gratuitous pain," his actions caused "psychological distress" for Floyd and the bystanders, and Chauvin did not provide Floyd medical aid.
Chauvin abused his position of authority as a police officer.
Chauvin committed the crime as a part of a group of at least three people. Three other former Minneapolis police officers have been charged in connection to the incident.
The crime happened in front of children.

Last edited:
DEFENDANT’S MEMORANDUM OF LAW IN OPPOSITION TO UPWARD DURATIONAL SENTENCING DEPARTURE:

Because the State has failed to meet its burden of proving the existence of the alleged aggravating factors beyond a reasonable doubt, the Court may not consider them in making its sentencing determination.
https://www.mncourts.gov/mncourtsgo...2646_Memorandum_2021-04-30_20210430160823.pdf
All of the following is JMO, MOO and FWIW:

I want to pause here, page 4 of the memorandum

"Mr. Floyd was handcuffed in the course of a lawful arrest, and not as a part of the offenses for which Mr. Chauvin was convicted."
If that was the case, then there would be no unintentional second degree murder because if the handcuffing was lawful, there would have been no assault, Jury decided otherwise.

Also
"Here, not only did officers call for medical assistance twice, but Mr. Chauvin remained on scene until it arrived." (Page 6)
Well, it was their duty to render aid themselves, which they failed so yeah, debatable point.

Chauvin "not being in a position of authority" and (there not being) "three or more actively participants in the offense" are really not defensible in my opinion.

Think that it is a difference between a shot by gun and that in Floyd 's death. Think after watching videos that the policeman was afraid .

esme murphy
@esmemurphy

Legal sources say Chauvin juror Brandon Mitchell will likely be questioned in Schwartz hearing about Aug 2020 DC rally he went to where Floyd family spoke.
In jury questionnaire he said he went to no police rallies
-Mitchell tells @wcco
he was at DC rally for voting rights.

A picture of a juror in the Derek Chauvin trial posted on social media has some legal experts saying it could help in an appeal.
A number of legal sources, including those familiar with the trial, told WCCO this juror at minimum will have to be questioned in what’s called a Schwartz hearing. And depending on his answers, a mistrial could be declared.
Derek Chauvin Juror Brandon Mitchell's Participation In D.C. March Could Help Appeal, Legal Experts Say

Chauvin juror defends participation in Washington protest

Last edited:

Thanks for the link.

"On Monday, Mitchell told the Star Tribune that the photo was posted on social media by his uncle in D.C. last August, during the commemoration of Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech from 1963."

It was discussed way upthreads pages back as to folks who were jurors coming out and creating appeal issues once identities released, especially so soon. There is always ONE appeal at least, MOO.. appeal... not unexpected.

Yet having jurors drug into it and having to testify... *chillls* as to potential and hoping appeals for a new trial aren't seen as necessary by the Appellate Court

Boy this is a classic example why jurors should just keep their mouths shut. This guy has been everywhere and in listening to him it is clear that at least one juror was extremely biased. I remember him well in questioning..mentioned he coached basketball and was asked if he could return to his team with a not guilty verdict...he was smooth and answered to get by but I knew he could not. I am not sure what this will mean but confirms my concerns about his coming forward so boldly. Can't remember if during voir dire he was asked again about demonstrations but the one he was at was obviously anti police. Question for anyone that might know...the defense knew the names of the jurors they were questioning...not sure how much googling it would take but this is from August 2020 so could they not have found that prior to putting the guy on the jury? I know that to strike him would have been challenged as it being based on race but in retrospect should have been done. I assume they scour as much as they can on the upcoming jurors each day. Just wondering.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members