GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am late to the thread and have not read through. I find in unusual that someone can be found guilty of murder and manslaughter. In my state I'm pretty sure it's either one or the other and it has to do with definitely being guilty of a homicide, but to what degree of responsibility and intent.
There's more than one way to catch a rabbit? :)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...friend-courteney-ross/?itid=hp-top-table-main

I realize this WaPo article is behind a paywall for most, but I encourage everyone to access it if possible. It is the heart wrenching story of George Floyd’s girlfriend, Courtney Ross, as she navigates George’s murder and beyond. Most of us saw her testify at the trial. It’s hard to pick out a quote from this in depth article, but I think what Courtney’s therapist said describes what we all saw in court that day…

Her therapist wrote: “I don’t quite know how you kept your wits, but you were sharp and true and honest and elegant and loving and hurt and pained, all at once. ” :(

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...friend-courteney-ross/?itid=hp-top-table-main

I realize this WaPo article is behind a paywall for most, but I encourage everyone to access it if possible. It is the heart wrenching story of George Floyd’s girlfriend, Courtney Ross, as she navigates George’s murder and beyond. Most of us saw her testify at the trial. It’s hard to pick out a quote from this in depth article, but I think what Courtney’s therapist said describes what we all saw in court that day…

Her therapist wrote: “I don’t quite know how you kept your wits, but you were sharp and true and honest and elegant and loving and hurt and pained, all at once. ” :(

I wonder if she as a "girlfriend" was eligible for any of the death benefits from GF settlement. Or if only family members were eligible.

The reason I asked, is that originally Chauvin wanted a deal, to serve his time in a nice "club fed" facility. He will more than likely be shipped out of state due to his "fame". Keeping him safe in lockup is probably a headache Minnesota doesn't want.

I was aware of his attempted cushy plea deal. I could be wrong, but I assume any federal time he would serve would follow his completion of the state sentence.

DC has already cost MN a 27 million dollar headache. What would the state really have to lose by letting him loose in the GP? How much more is the state expected to pay out on behalf of this guy?

I was aware of his attempted cushy plea deal. I could be wrong, but I assume any federal time he would serve would follow his completion of the state sentence.

DC has already cost MN a 27 million dollar headache. What would the state really have to lose by letting him loose in the GP? How much more is the state expected to pay out on behalf of this guy?

Another lawsuit, for not providing adequate protection for an inmate.

So they are going after Chauvin for two separate cases.

"Prosecutors want to indict Chauvin in connection to two cases: for pinning Floyd down by his neck for more than 9 ½ minutes in May 2020, and for the violent arrest of a 14-year-old boy in 2017. In the latter case, Chauvin struck the teen on the head with his flashlight, then grabbed him by the throat and hit him again, according to court documents."

"The other three ex-officers would be charged only in connection with Floyd's death."

You write about "cushy" federal plea deal. Well, J Epstein was also in federal prison and we all know what happened. Just saying.

So they are going after Chauvin for two separate cases.

"Prosecutors want to indict Chauvin in connection to two cases: for pinning Floyd down by his neck for more than 9 ½ minutes in May 2020, and for the violent arrest of a 14-year-old boy in 2017. In the latter case, Chauvin struck the teen on the head with his flashlight, then grabbed him by the throat and hit him again, according to court documents."

"The other three ex-officers would be charged only in connection with Floyd's death."
Good.

The thing about Chauvin's possible/probable federal charges is that if he is convicted of civil rights charges there is the potential that he can face life in prison.

A grand jury has been meeting to consider those charges, and if he were to be charged and convicted in federal court, that sentence could be up to life in prison.
What Happens To Derek Chauvin?

I wonder if she as a "girlfriend" was eligible for any of the death benefits from GF settlement. Or if only family members were eligible.

IIRC The article briefly mentioned that as Floyd’s girlfriend she isn’t eligible for any of the settlement. Also, the family in TX didn’t really know her and didn’t realize that she had been a big part of his life for three years, not just another random girlfriend.

You write about "cushy" federal plea deal. Well, J Epstein was also in federal prison and we all know what happened. Just saying.

Epstein was not in federal prison. He was in a horrible jail.

IIRC The article briefly mentioned that as Floyd’s girlfriend she isn’t eligible for any of the settlement. Also, the family in TX didn’t really know her and didn’t realize that she had been a big part of his life for three years, not just another random girlfriend.

OK.. I've not asked out of respect for some time. But wouldn't the ONLY ones to benefit from the 27 million be his offspring? (I won't mention/ yet link here George Floyd - Wikipedia , but wikipedia says 5 children). MOO

Would they not be first in line and ONLY recipients vs. siblings etc.. what is the "per Stirpes", and wouldn't have the civil suit only be brought by those who could receive?

Did the family submit/ city settled with his children (vs. siblings? What standing do they have over children???) Yet I've not see such on threads.

Vs. even family.. children would be #1? How did that division of the 27 million go? I went to the media thread and cannot find the answer, but I know someone here perhaps has at their fingertips to *bump* such?

I don't think this is TOS, but haven't seen discussion, knowing that I was not here on threads during the civil stuff and am totally ignorant.

Perhaps other WS'ers will know, and have links for such.

TIA

Is it because he was murdered without a will, intestate, so it goes differently.

Yet I've never heard of "children" representatives in court civilly with family siblings which I would expect with a 47 million dollar payout.

If he indeed had 5 children, I would EXPECT that the state do guardian ad litems or ??? to ensure they benefit.

Yet crickets.

Am I missing something? @gitana1 who is our go to person IIRC as to family law and might explain?

TIA again.

Last edited:
OK.. I've not asked out of respect for some time. But wouldn't the ONLY ones to benefit from the 27 million be his offspring? (I won't mention/ yet link here George Floyd - Wikipedia , but wikipedia says 5 children). MOO

Would they not be first in line and ONLY recipients vs. siblings etc.. what is the "per Stirpes", and wouldn't have the civil suit only be brought by those who could receive?

Did the family submit/ city settled with his children (vs. siblings? What standing do they have over children???) Yet I've not see such on threads.

Vs. even family.. children would be #1? How did that division of the 27 million go? I went to the media thread and cannot find the answer, but I know someone here perhaps has at their fingertips to *bump* such?

I don't think this is TOS, but haven't seen discussion, knowing that I was not here on threads during the civil stuff and am totally ignorant.

TIA

Is it because he was murdered without a will, intestate, so it goes differently.

Yet I've never heard of "children" representatives in court civilly with family siblings which I would expect with a 47 million dollar payout.

If he indeed had 5 children, I would EXPECT that the state do guardian ad litems or ??? to ensure they benefit.

Yet crickets.

Am I missing something? @gitana1 who is our go to person IIRC as to family law and might explain?

TIA again.
Children must always be absolute priority. But Im sure it is guaranteed by law.

Last edited:
Children must always be absolute priority. But Im sure it is guaranteed by law.
oh you can rest assured that they all got something...and a big chunk to attorneys including Ben Crump. He is not working "pro bono" at least I don't think so. Not that much is known about the other children or mother of daughter that has been in so much media. I am sure it will get messy.

TIA

Yet crickets.

TIA again.

Hopefully gitana will weigh in here, but in the Justine Damond case it was her Aussie father and brother who filed the lawsuit against the city of Minneapolis - and were awarded $20M.
Justine had no children, and her fiance (who Justine lived with in Minneapolis) was not part of the lawsuit.

Damond’s father John Ruszczyk and brother Jason filed a civil lawsuit against the city of Minneapolis last year and just days after the jury’s guilty verdict the city agreed to pay the family a record $US20 million.
https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/ja...nneapolis-ng-2dcd8483ea1fa57c7b92a62e855b5e46

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab