UK - Julia James, 53, murdered, Snowdown, Kent, 27 April 2021 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in what makes you think it was a frenzied attack? We have little information about the details of the attack, the only facts are that severe head injuries were caused and to me that could just a well be a precise, cold and calculated means of murder. No other injuries reported which would be typical in a frenzied attack.

There is just occasional information on the profile tracked for specific exercises like running and cycling - only 3 runs and 3 cycle rides this year so that level of detail about regular times is not apparent.
If it was a cold, calculated crime I would expect the killer to choose a more efficient weapon. To bludgeon somebody to death you would need to get very close to them, very likely involving a violent physical struggle. It would be difficult to do that without leaving substantial forensic evidence behind. Why take the risk? It makes no sense.

Also, Julia worked as a police community support officer. Do you really think her work would likely have made somebody want to kill her? How often are PCSOs murdered because of their work? It’s the stuff of fiction, not reality.

Last edited:
To bludgeon somebody to death you would need to get very close to them, very likely involving a violent physical struggle. It would be difficult to do that without leaving substantial forensic evidence behind.

I'm not sure it would necessarily involve any struggle. The killer could have been hiding in the trees by the path and attacked Julia from behind, that was the MO that Peter Sutcliffe used repeatedly. As for forensic evidence, the killer of Lin and Megan Russell apparently didn't leave any.

Also, Julia worked as a police community support officer. Do you really think her work would likely have made somebody want to kill her? How often are PCSOs murdered because of their work? It’s the stuff of fiction, not reality.
She was in the domestic violence unit so it has to be considered a possibility.

I'm not sure it would necessarily involve any struggle. The killer could have been hiding in the trees by the path and attacked Julia from behind, that was the MO that Peter Sutcliffe used repeatedly. As for forensic evidence, the killer of Lin and Megan Russell apparently didn't leave any.

She was in the domestic violence unit so it has to be considered a possibility.
Wasn’t there unidentified male DNA on the bloody towels in the Chillenden attack?

Wasn’t there unidentified male DNA on the bloody towels in the Chillenden attack?

I believe there was and also on a lace that the killer left at the scene, but as far as I'm aware none on the victims. But that was a sustained attack in which the killer chose to touch items such as towels and lunch boxes. In a very brief attack just focussed on killing the victim and getting away (ie "precise, cold and calculated" as @tallmansix said) I think it indicates the possibility of leaving no evidence during, for example, a hammer attack.

That said forensic science has moved on a lot since then so hopefully they do find some.

Last edited:
I believe there was and also on a lace that the killer left at the scene, but as far as I'm aware none on the victims. But that was a sustained attack in which the killer chose to touch items such as towels and lunch boxes. In a very brief attack just focussed on killing the victim and getting away (ie "precise, cold and calculated" as @tallmansix said) I think it indicates the possibility of leaving no evidence during, for example, a hammer attack.

That said forensic science has moved on a lot since then so hopefully they do find some.
It’s also worth mentioning that the DNA found on the towels did not match that of Michael Stone, who has spent almost 24 years in prison for the murders.

It’s also worth mentioning that the DNA found on the towels did not match that of Michael Stone, who has spent almost 24 years in prison for the murders.

Don't want to get drawn too much into that as it's a different case (though admittedly could have some bearing on this one or vice versa) but it states (BBM) that "the towelling strips [SFM1A] did not produce any non-victim profile" on DNA Test Results - The Chillenden Murders

Could you tell us whether the 3pm walk time was her regular time for an afternoon walk or did she have another regular time or did it vary from day to day?
It is possible to check old routes with Strava, she may have walked the same route at the same time of day before. She ran with her husband on some of the routes.

Sarah Everard's profile was on Strava so I guessed Julia had a profile there too. It is worth checking other fitness route maps for Julia's fitness regime.

If it was a cold, calculated crime I would expect the killer to choose a more efficient weapon. To bludgeon somebody to death you would need to get very close to them, very likely involving a violent physical struggle. It would be difficult to do that without leaving substantial forensic evidence behind. Why take the risk? It makes no sense.

Yes, all fair points and I do agree, a PCSO specific murder does seem unlikely, the only other PCSO murder recently was by a partner and the only other female police killed have been in the line of duty and involved organised crime groups - however it is not totally unknown for revenge to be taken on the police, in this case was a female police officer and there are other cases but nothing of this level.

Having said that, we are already in the realm of unusual and rare murders in this case - only 5% of female murders took place in an open outdoor area.

Choice of weapon or method for female victims statistically is sharp 33% / suffocation 20% / blunt 9% but this is based on the vast majority of such murders being domestic and occurring in or around the home where a sharp weapon is easily accessible. All require getting up close and personal, the only weapon that doesn't is a gun which accounts for just 3% of female murder victims and difficult to obtain without having organised crime connections.

Something like a hammer could be very effective in a surprise attack as Peter Sutcliffe demonstrated, a well place first blow to the head from behind could incapacitate immediately even if it did not kill whereas a stab wound doesn't always quickly incapacitate and allows for screaming / running / defence. Stabbing somebody effectively from behind by surprise can be difficult due to the amount of bone protecting vital organs, knives sometimes break, get stuck or simply hit bone and don't penetrate and you need to be prepared to continue stabbing relentlessly until the victim stops struggling unlike a hammer blow that can knock somebody unconscious on the first strike.

A blunt instrument like a hammer could be a good choice for many other reasons including risk of carrying and being caught in possession on the run up to murder (especially if spending days looking for an opportunity) - a hammer could be innocently explained alongside other tools unlike a knife.

Just my opinion though and do agree with you about this being the stuff of fiction in the sense that statistics suggest a specific police revenge attack being off the scale of most murders / motives / circumstances.

Last edited:
Yes, all fair points and I do agree, a PCSO specific murder does seem unlikely, the only other PCSO murder recently was by a partner and the only other female police killed have been in the line of duty and involved organised crime groups - however it is not totally unknown for revenge to be taken on the police, in this case was a female police officer and there are other cases but nothing of this level.

Having said that, we are already in the realm of unusual and rare murders in this case - only 5% of female murders took place in an open outdoor area.

Choice of weapon or method for female victims statistically is sharp 33% / suffocation 20% / blunt 9% but this is based on the vast majority of such murders being domestic and occurring in or around the home where a sharp weapon is easily accessible. All require getting up close and personal, the only weapon that doesn't is a gun which accounts for just 3% of female murder victims and difficult to obtain without having organised crime connections.

Something like a hammer could be very effective in a surprise attack as Peter Sutcliffe demonstrated, a well place first blow to the head from behind could incapacitate immediately even if it did not kill whereas a stab wound doesn't always quickly incapacitate and allows for screaming / running / defence. Stabbing somebody effectively from behind can be difficult due to the amount of bone protecting vital organs, knives sometimes break, get stuck or simply hit bone and don't penetrate and you need to be prepared to continue stabbing relentlessly until the victim stops struggling unlike a hammer blow that can knock somebody unconscious on the first strike.

A blunt instrument like a hammer could be a good choice for many other reasons including risk of carrying and being caught in possession on the run up to murder (especially if spending days looking for an opportunity) at a hammer could be innocently explained unlike a knife.

Just my opinion though and do agree with you about this being the stuff of fiction in the sense that everything points to this being off the scale of most murders / motives / circumstances.
I still think the fact that this unusually violent crime occurred within such a short distance of the Chillenden murders is noteworthy. I hope the police haven’t ruled out a link merely because somebody is already serving time for the first attack.

In his press conference yesterday Assistant Chief Constable Tom Richards said that Julia suffered “very significant head injuries”. This was not just a blow to the head in a scuffle over her dog. Somebody repeatedly smashed her skull with a blunt instrument, most probably a hammer. This wasn’t an attempted theft or mugging gone wrong - whoever did this set out with the intention of committing an extremely violent murder.

I think a lot of objects can cause blunt force trauma. There hasn't been anything from the police to say it was anything as specific as a hammer or similar item.

Typically these are known as 'disorganised offenders' or 'disorganised killers'. It's often a deep rage, or a mental condition involving psychosis that predisposes someone like that, and then a variety/collection of neurotic/psychotic triggers developed throughout their lives.

Do you have a link for this information?

It is now in the news about the search of the colliery and some other information:

Detectives believe PCSO Julia James left home just an hour before her body was found | Daily Mail Online

"A driver spotted a car dangerously parked near PCSO Julia James' home shortly before the 53-year-old was bludgeoned to death while walking her dog, it emerged today."

"She has now revealed that she noticed a black estate car near the entrance of a disused coal mine - being searched for the first time by police today - just a few hours before the attack is thought to have taken place, between 3pm and 4pm on April 27."

'It's been playing on my mind and I've been racking my brains on what I saw when I passed here on the day she was killed. I will be reporting this to the police.'

To be honest I would think a potential attacker would be more discreet about where they left their vehicle though. Disappointing that the witness decided to tell the press before the police.

Last edited:
It is now in the news about the search of the colliery and some other information:

Detectives believe PCSO Julia James left home just an hour before her body was found | Daily Mail Online

"A driver spotted a car dangerously parked near PCSO Julia James' home shortly before the 53-year-old was bludgeoned to death while walking her dog, it emerged today."

"She has now revealed that she noticed a black estate car near the entrance of a disused coal mine - being searched for the first time by police today - just a few hours before the attack is thought to have taken place, between 3pm and 4pm on April 27."

'It's been playing on my mind and I've been racking my brains on what I saw when I passed here on the day she was killed. I will be reporting this to the police.'

To be honest I would think a potential attacker would be more discreet about where they left their vehicle though. Disappointing that the witness decided to tell the press before the police.
All this report really says is that a car was poorly parked at a location near Julia’s house a few hours before she was attacked. I’m not sure it tells us much.

All this report really says is that a car was poorly parked at a location near Julia’s house a few hours before she was attacked. I’m not sure it tells us much.

Probably not, but it gives the police another place to search, and maybe the killer dropped something in both locations that might help for ID.

The person in the black car might have got out and wandered around and seen someone nearby who though thought was also just out for a walk and might be able to give a description of someone who wasn't seen in the village itself.

You never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member