IN - James Chadwell II, 42, arrested after girl 9, found in his home, Lafayette, 19 Apr 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree and this has bothered me too. What did she call him that first year? Did he have a name before she changed his name? How does that work? I thought to legally change a name you had to do it through court, etc, is this the case here?
I assume she was dating JBC Sr while pregnant with JBCII so when he was born JBCII was named after her boyfriend and they got married the following year.

From the article:

"Chadwell, 42, was born in Kokomo, Indiana, to a mother who was only 15 at the time.

The following year she married James Chadwell, and they went on to have two more boys and a girl."

And

"Chadwell - who uses the name Brian to distinguish himself from James Brian Chadwell Sr, the man who raised him..."

His mother named him after the man she married a year later? I feel like there's more to that story. Undoubtedly, he had a very disturbed childhood. Not making excuses AT ALL. Just always curious about what leads a person down this sort of path.

I noticed that too. Either the stepfather was already with the 15 year old when she named the newborn “ James Brian II” or his name was later changed to mirror the step-father. It’d be too much of a coincidence the mother later met up with a man with the same first and middle name as her fatherless child IMO. Not defending him either but I’d agree, I think he had a troubled childhood and it wouldn’t surprise me if alcoholism was prevalent in his early formative years as well.

I assume she was dating JBC Sr while pregnant with JBCII so when he was born JBCII was named after her boyfriend and they got married the following year.

Then JBC Sr would be his father, not a step-father. It’s interesting during JBCs media interviews how the step-father was emphasized even though there doesn’t seem to be a father in the picture.

What? No.
Mom gets pregnant and breaks up with the father of child. Mom starts dating stepdad while pregnant and names baby after boyfriend aka stepdad.

Okay I see what you mean, the 15 year old mother might’ve already been dating JBC Sr after she was sexually involved with somebody else, before the child was born. I guess he has own reasons to disassociate himself from being a father if blood ties are what’s most significant to him. I wonder, did the stepfather never legally adopt JBC, not that it matters. Just noticing him seemingly distancing himself in the way one would do if they married and entered a child’s life long after he or she was born.

There was no such thing as parental DNA testing back then but blood typing was common to rule out impossibilities.

Last edited:
Okay I see what you mean, the 15 year old mother might’ve already been dating JBC Sr after she was sexually involved with somebody else, before the child was born. I guess he has own reasons to disassociate himself from being a father if blood ties are what’s most significant to him. I wonder, did the stepfather never legally adopt JBC, not that it matters. Just noticing him seemingly distancing himself in the way one would do if they married and entered a child’s life long after he or she was born.

There was no such thing as parental DNA testing back then but blood typing was common to rule out impossibilities.

maybe presumed father:

Signing the father's name on a birth certificate is not enough to legally determine paternity. (However, if the mother is married when the child is born, the husband is legally considered the father of the child and paternity does not need to be legally determined).May 7, 2012

General Information About Paternity - ILS - Indiana Legal Services, Inc
https://www.indianalegalservices.org › node › general-inf..

Last edited:
presumed father:

Signing the father's name on a birth certificate is not enough to legally determine paternity. (However, if the mother is married when the child is born, the husband is legally considered the father of the child and paternity does not need to be legally determined).May 7, 2012

General Information About Paternity - ILS - Indiana Legal Services, Inc
https://www.indianalegalservices.org › node › general-inf..
JBCII's mom was born Aug 28, 1962
JBCII was born March 13, 1979
His mother married JBCI October 14, 1979

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/laura-chadwell-obituary?pid=179329253

interesting... would have to see the birth certificate- maybe she put down "Chadwell" and everyone just went with that.
Whoa. Hold the horses. The mom's obituary says they married in 1979 but the actual marriage certifiate on ancestry.com shows 1978. Maybe the obit is a typo?

Looks like they married when she was pregnant, not after baby was born. Bride was 16, groom 17. I had been assuming the obit was correct but it doesn't match the certificate, fwiw. Sorry I can't link as it's a paid site but perhaps it's available elsewhere online.

jmo

Well his natural son also said JBC II tried to drowned him when he was four years old. JBC II would have been six. That couldn't have sat well with JBC and who knows how many other instances like that there were.

Then when his mother told him as a young teen that the man he was named after was not his blood dad JBC started to become more and more of a problem. His step dad felt he had to evict him as an adult because of his addict ways. Now JBC finds out he's a child rapist and attempted murderer. I think disowning such a person with strong words would be foreseeable for any family member who was appalled and fed up after years of drama with JBC II. It's harsh but understandable. AJMO

I have no evidence of this but when I saw the mom's age I thought maybe sadly she was raped. If he found out later in life the man he thought was his father wasn't his father but rather his mom was assaulted, that could really do a number on you psychologically.

I have no evidence of this but when I saw the mom's age I thought maybe sadly she was raped. If he found out later in life the man he thought was his father wasn't his father but rather his mom was assaulted, that could really do a number on you psychologically.

Ain't that the truth. Even moreso sometimes if you find out who the offender is.

I had a friend who grew up knowing that his mother had been raped by her father. He was raised by her brother. He wound up about like JBC. Nicest guy in the world as long as you didn't trigger him. I know he's totally responsible for his own choices, but I always felt like he never really had a chance, either.

Through obituaries I'm taking a guess mom, biological father, and father as in the man that raised him were in the same circle. Maybe friends growing up.

Odder a maiden name of JBC's mom somehow is also shown up on biological dad's wife's obituary in a way.

Another good reason to trace your bloodline through your mother. Who truly knows who one's sperm donor is? Courtesy of my whimsical grammy.

Sadly I wondered the same.

There is a marriage license out there I have seen. I do not have a source to link here it is not approved. All my opinion,
Mom was 16 and 4 months pregnant by another man when she married the 17 yr old stepdad in Oct 1978. JCB was born March 1979. I do not know if JCB was adopted or who is listed on his birth certificate but it is not uncommon specially back then to give the baby the married name and to take the child on as ones own. Hence JBCll jmo

Last edited:

This was my thought too. So sad. Jmo of course. I do wonder at giving him the exact same name as his step father, especially if he was born prior to the wedding. I just can't imagine doing that, while knowing he was not the bio child of that man.

This was my thought too. So sad. Jmo of course. I do wonder at giving him the exact same name as his step father, especially if he was born prior to the wedding. I just can't imagine doing that, while knowing he was not the bio child of that man.
I think it was their way of trying to make it seem like he was the bio-son ----of course it is his son, he has the same name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard