Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 16, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *Arrests* #57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any reason the other 2 previously disclosed were noted as such but not his
That I’m not sure about. I do recall that back in March this year Means filed disclosures for:
“1. Columbo Investigations, LLC Mr. Joe Adriany (see resume/attached survey results)
2. Mrs. Heather Daybell
3. All witnesses identified by the State and/or Defendant Chad Daybell/Mr. John Prior. “

Ok, but one COMMON cause of pancreatitis (especially a “bout”, not chronic) is a TOXIN. I check pancreatic enzymes all the time because some of the meds I prescribe can cause pancreatitis.

Of possible relevance: Stacey Cox Cope was a diabetic, whose condition allegedly was poorly controlled because of her lack of adherence to diet and other parts of her recommended medical regimen.

It's possible that the entire Cox family learned a great deal over the years about pancreatic function and malfunction from Stacey's chronic illness related to that organ. I wouldn't put a case or two of induced pancreatitis past Lori or Alex if it could get Lori some positive attention as a "caring mother", make Tylee more vulnerable and dependent on her, and possibly keep Tylee away from Joe and out of a school setting where she might confide in a teacher or other mandated reporter, or simply in a friend.

This child had some exposure to the world outside her home, mother, and Uncle Al, but I get the feeling it was heavily curated from a very young age. MOO.

My speculation: She had been unwell for a while and the family didn't want to put their lives on hold indefinitely, so Alex was designated to care for her while they were away. She and Alex were the oldest two children and likely had a sibling bond. Back then you wouldn't think that she was put in danger by staying with him. I don't know who Melani was living with at that point, perhaps her father? She reconnected with her mother's family much later.

I will have to go back (somehow) and check.... I did think Melani was on that trip...even if living with her dad...
I do have to check..

While I ultimately agree that Nate (and other journalists who’ve covered this) shouldn’t be subpoenaed to testify, the first reaction/response (before this statement by the attorney now) was pretty weak just IMHO. It seemed to focus more on “we have rules at our news organization that our reporters can’t be directly involved in the stories they’re covering” rather than focusing on the much larger implications of the first amendment. Just made me again realize that they are a very small news group - this is likely the biggest story he’s covered in his career - and they don’t have much, if any, experience with stuff like this. But that goes for many with this case, the deputy prosecutor handled many divorce and family cases, one defense attorney has very little felony criminal work, the Fremont prosecutor hasn’t handled many complex homicides, Rob Wood has infinitely more experience from his work in water rights law than criminal prosecution, etc.
I believe the Court will end up squashing the subpoena for Nate, but I can see why Defense counsel wanted to attempt to have the one reporter who showed up at their residences in multiple states, followed them to Hawaii, got images and video of Lori being transported on plane back to the US in handcuffs, etc. A small town reporter who was doggedly covering this case - Defense wants to try and use all of that publicity as more reasoning as to why the trial venue needs to be moved in their opinion.

edited to add - I’m not sure how many people know about the backgrounds of all the attorneys involved this far; I went down that rabbit hole awhile back and it was interesting. Small towns are not something I’ve ever had personal experience with, but when I first found out that Chad’s first attorney (Sean Bartholick) was the main attorney who hired Rob Wood and got him his start in law....focusing on Water Law and Estate Planning the most. The same attorney who then no longer represented Chad and washed his hands of this case early on.....I guess the personal and professional connections like this (Defense attorney having possible previous connections with the State prosecutors is even more likely in small towns).

Last edited:
Nate’s employer should contact the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press in Washington, DC. No reporter should be placed in a position that could injure his relationship with his sources, for one thing, and compelling his testimony before a grand jury could certainly do that. Even if it doesn’t, the secrecy to which he would be bound under grand jury could lead the public to assume his impartiality as a reporter has been compromised and there would be no way for him to counter that. There is also the issue of jeopardizing his ability to report on the case at all because of his employer’s HR policy.

Nate’s employer should contact the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press in Washington, DC. No reporter should be placed in a position that could injure his relationship with his sources, for one thing, and compelling his testimony before a grand jury could certainly do that. Even if it doesn’t, the secrecy to which he would be bound under grand jury could lead the public to assume his impartiality as a reporter has been compromised and there would be no way for him to counter that. There is also the issue of jeopardizing his ability to report on the case at all because of his employer’s HR policy.

Mr. Prior (and/or Mr. Means) cannot subpoena anyone for the grand jury process....the grand jury process is entirely separate. I agree with your thoughts on what compelling testimony from him, or any other reporter, could and would likely do in a case, but I just wanted to point out that these subpoenas not part of the grand jury process at all. The prosecutor, any witnesses they want to call, and the grand jury members are the only people present during the grand jury proceedings. These subpoenas were filed specifically for the hearing currently scheduled on June 9.

Mr. Prior (and/or Mr. Means) cannot subpoena anyone for the grand jury process....the grand jury process is entirely separate. I agree with your thoughts on what compelling testimony from him, or any other reporter, could and would likely do in a case, but I just wanted to point out that these subpoenas not part of the grand jury process at all. The prosecutor, any witnesses they want to call, and the grand jury members are the only people present during the grand jury proceedings. These subpoenas were filed specifically for the hearing currently scheduled on June 9.
Thank you.
That makes sense. I am not upto date, can you tell me what the hearing on the the 9th is for?

Last edited:
Thank you.
That makes sense. I am not upto date, can you tell me what the hearing on the the 9th is for?
No worries at all!
I believe most of that hearing is supposed to be about hearing arguments for or against the Defense’s Motion to change the venue, and they’ll also likely have some more “housekeeping issues” where they talk more about schedule and timelines, how both sides are progressing with Discovery materials and exchanging them, etc - like the stuff that happens in their “breakout rooms” on the Zoom platform where they meet with each other but the public cannot see or hear them while they’re doing those non-public parts. If it goes according to the current plan, then the Court should be hearing the Defense argue their Motion and then also hearing what the State has to say in response to their motion. And don’t worry - this is a big and complex case - it’s hard to keep up with it all even if you want to!

No worries at all!
The hearing is supposed to be about hearing arguments for or against the Defense’s Motion to change the venue, and they’ll also likely have some more “housekeeping issues” where they talk more about schedule and timelines, how both sides are progressing with Discovery materials and exchanging them, etc - like the stuff that happens in their “breakout rooms” on the Zoom platform where they meet with each other but the public cannot see or hear them while they’re doing those non-public parts. If it goes according to the current plan, then the Court should be hearing the Defense argue their Motion and then also hearing what the State has to say in response to their motion. And don’t worry - this is a big and complex case - it’s hard to keep up with it all even if you want to!
Thanks.
Well hope they can't compromise NE footage of the defiant couple in Hawaii.

There's still Colby. We haven't heard of her treating him badly. IMO it's not about being perfect or imperfect. She'd consider someone perfect her competition. Tylee and JJ were in the way. Chad wasn't interested in playing a step-father.
IMO, Colby was fortunate to be the eldest, before she went completely loopy and evil. And of course, before she met Chad.

IMO, Colby was fortunate to be the eldest, before she went completely loopy and evil. And of course, before she met Chad.
I don't believe for one second that Colby had a happy, normal, healthy childhood. She was most likely always somewhat toxic and I don't believe either Colby, Tylee or JJ ever had peace and quiet growing up. She loves the drama, she can't help it. And then, she went competely weirdo and cult-ish. Did Tylee get it way worse than Colby? Yes. But Colby had it bad too, I'm sure.

I don't believe for one second that Colby had a happy, normal, healthy childhood. She was most likely always somewhat toxic and I don't believe either Colby, Tylee or JJ ever had peace and quiet growing up. She loves the drama, she can't help it. And then, she went competely weirdo and cult-ish. Did Tylee get it way worse than Colby? Yes. But Colby had it bad too, I'm sure.
In interviews Colby described her as a great mom before she changed. So did Lori's friends and even JJ's grandparents. Some people (not just her family) had a hard time believing that she could have harmed her children, even after disturbing facts started coming out. One such person was a VI on this thread.

Lori chose Chad and the elevated religious status he gave her over Charles and the kids.

Last edited:
Per the Idaho Rules I posted, no attorneys are allowed other than the Prosecuting Attorney. It doesn't matter what happens in federal cases or in any other state. LVD and CD are being investigated by Idaho.

I really like Scott’s channel but I’ve often wondered how he can produce so much content and still have a thriving law practice. He puts out a ton of stuff that is very time consuming. He’s been shown to be wrong a couple times in the past as well. Maybe he’s gotten confused? He’s a lawyer, pilot and YouTube creator. My guess is he’s more of a YouTube lawyer these days vs a busy practicing attorney.

I really like Scott’s channel but I’ve often wondered how he can produce so much content and still have a thriving law practice. He puts out a ton of stuff that is very time consuming. He’s been shown to be wrong a couple times in the past as well. Maybe he’s gotten confused? He’s a lawyer, pilot and YouTube creator. My guess is he’s more of a YouTube lawyer these days vs a busy practicing attorney.
According to him, he's an actual practicing attorney. The other day he missed his daily YouTube video because he was in court all day. I'd say he's a lawyer with a pilot license who also does YouTube.

I like to compare his commentary to Lori Hellis'. They aren't always in sync.

I happen to like Scott's channel a lot better than something like CourtTV. I no longer put a lot of faith in journalism anymore so maybe it's me but, it seems CourtTV's focus is leaning more and more towards sensationalism. They do have some qualified people there but the aura of the channel seems to look and sound more like a tabloid than a true, hard core law channel. MHO and YMMV

Sorry, I have stepped away awhile from this case but in researching another case found an article about the FBI's CAST team that references this case. I attempted to see if it had been shared here, but honestly very difficult to see. So, I am sharing.

How Cell Phone Tracking Is Increasingly Being Used to Solve Crimes
The FBI Cellular Analysis Survey Team
The FBI maintains a specialized unit called the Cellular Analysis Survey Team, or CAST, that provides analyses of cell phone records and presents the information to law enforcement. We're going to take a look at a recent case in which CAST has played a pivotal role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg