Found Safe NC - Joshua Clauson, 20, Croatan National Forest, 29 May 2021

mlhenn

Reaction score
Multiple teams searching for missing man in the Croatan National Forest

About 30 personnel and three K-9′s are looking for 20-year-old, Joshua Clauson who was reported missing when he didn’t return from a walk.

According to investigators, Clauson entered the woods at the rear of a mobile home park off Lake Rd. with a family member around 10:00 a.m., Saturday.

The family member says the two got lost and separated in an attempt to find their way out. The family member was able to get out by listening to the sounds of passing cars.

Clauson was last seen wearing a khaki tank top and blue jeans. Anyone with information is asked to notify the Carteret County Sheriff’s Office at (252) 728-8400 or Carteret County Communications at (252) 726-1911.

upload_2021-5-30_15-3-4.jpeg

Emergency crews search for a missing man in the Croatan National Forest

Officials believe the man went missing in the Croatan National Forest near the Carteret-Craven County line in Newport.

According to Carteret County Sheriff Asa Buck, 20-year-old Joshua Kenneth Clauson and a family member went for a walk in the forest around 10 am Saturday.

Law officials said in missing person cases, every moment in the search is crucial to survival.

"Timing is always an issue when you're trying to find someone who may be lost in the woods," Sheriff Buck said. "They don't have food or water or other resources available to them. We want to try and find the person as quickly as we can so they don't become dehydrated or suffer from any of the elements."

Sheriff Buck said it is unclear how long Clauson and the family member were together before getting separated.

Emergency response crews from multiple agencies, more than 30 researchers, and 3 K9s are helping in the search for Clauson.

"This area is a thick wooded area, very dense and hard to maneuver through," Sheriff Buck explained. "Trying to track someone through the thick wooded area is often a difficult task, certainly a slow task, so the dogs are extremely helpful."

20-year-old man missing in Croatan National Forest :: WRAL.com

Crews are searching for 20-year-old Joshua Clauson who went missing after going on a walk in Carteret County on Saturday morning.

Rescue teams from several departments in the area are looking for Clauson in the Croatan National Forest.

Clauson entered the woods near his home off Lake Road with a family member. The person walking with him said the two got lost in the forest and separated to try and find their way out.

Carteret County Sheriff's Office

NEWS RELEASE: Deputies... - Carteret County Sheriff's Office | Facebook
NEWS RELEASE: Deputies searching for Missing Person in Croatan National Forest

Carteret County deputies are currently searching for Joshua Clauson, 20, of 1202 Lake Road, Newport, NC after he failed to return from a walk in the Croatan National Forest.

Family members reported Clauson entered the woods with a relative around 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 29, at the rear of the mobile home park off Lake Rd. The relative reported they got lost and became separated. The relative eventually found his way out on Rams Horn Road off Nine Foot Road by listening to the sounds of passing vehicles. Deputies were unable to locate Clauson during the overnight hours and called in search and rescue teams.

On Sunday morning, teams from Coastal Carolina Search and Rescue based out of Pitt County, Brunswick Search & Rescue, and Chocowinity Search & Rescue met with Carteret County deputies for a briefing at 8:00 a.m. at the Newport Fire Department Lake Road Substation.

Currently, teams have broken up into two groups with two staging areas, one in the rear of Lake Road Mobile Home Park and one at the end of Rams Horn Road. Approximately 30 searchers and three K-9’s are searching the area.

Clauson is described as a 20-year-old white male with red hair last seen wearing a khaki tank top and blue jeans.

Deputies will issue additional information as it becomes available.

Sad news. If you're in a pair and you get lost in the woods, the one thing you don't want to do is become separated from the other person.

I hope Joshua can hear the cars on the road nearby, just like his relative did, and can find his way out too.... or maybe hear the rescue people calling his name.

Last edited:
Well, it states Joshua Clauson entered the woods near his home in Lake Road, so if he lives locally he should know there is a main road nearby and also human habitation not far away.

Also, the wooded part is near the North, as you progress south, the woods narrow and have houses and other buildings and fields and civilisation infringing them.

If he can get a direction from the sun, I hope he can keep going in one direction so he'll come out somewhere.

Although he went in the woods at 10.00hrs Saturday, so it's coming up to 30 hours already with him overnighting in there...

From where they entered the woods (Lake Road) to where his relative left the woods (Rams Horn Rd.) is approx 5 miles around by road. Shorter through the woods.

Map attached for reference.

Makes me wonder how:

A) they got separated

and

B) how his relative got out of the woods at the Rams Horn Road end so quickly as SAR states the woods "are very dense and hard to manoeuvre through...."

Attachments

• Image_1622406908.jpg
    Image_1622406908.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
It’s at times like this that the new mobile phone app for Android and Apple devices, is imperative. It’s designed in U.K. I believe and is available for any location on the world map with someone recently getting lost at Everest basecamp and found by rescuers when they activated
“What three words” app
It’s based upon every location being given three identifying words for the segment of the earth that they are within as the app has divided earth locations up into 3m squares and each has 3 words that can be given to emergency responders who can then immediately locate you using the algorithm. It’s free for individual users but the likes of LE has to pay a one off fee to buy into it. It’s currently signed up to 40 countries having only been launched less than one year ago. It’s highly rated so far.

Attachments

• 01E7BA90-8F0E-4696-9CE6-D13963553D5D.jpeg
    01E7BA90-8F0E-4696-9CE6-D13963553D5D.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 36
Well, it states Joshua Clauson entered the woods near his home in Lake Road, so if he lives locally he should know there is a main road nearby and also human habitation not far away.

Also, the wooded part is near the North, as you progress south, the woods narrow and have houses and other buildings and fields and civilisation infringing them.

If he can get a direction from the sun, I hope he can keep going in one direction so he'll come out somewhere.

Although he went in the woods at 10.00hrs Saturday, so it's coming up to 30 hours already with him overnighting in there...

From where they entered the woods (Lake Road) to where his relative left the woods (Rams Horn Rd.) is approx 5 miles around by road. Shorter through the woods.

Map attached for reference.

Makes me wonder how:

A) they got separated

and

B) how his relative got out of the woods at the Rams Horn Road end so quickly as SAR states the woods "are very dense and hard to manoeuvre through...."

Hmmmm... Worrisome. How did they get separated? Not liking this.

Deputies searching for missing person last seen in Croatan National Forest | WNCT

Carteret County deputies are currently searching for Joshua Clauson, 20, of 1202 Lake Road, Lake Road MHP, Npt after he failed to return from a walk in the Croatan National Forest.

Family members reported Joshua entered the woods with a relative around 10 am on Saturday, at the rear of the mobile home park off Lake Rd.

The relative reported they got lost and became separated. The relative was eventually able to find his way out on Rams Horn Road off Nine Foot Road after listening to the sounds of passing vehicles.

Deputies were unable to locate Clauson during the overnight hours and called in search and rescue teams.

On Sunday, teams from Coastal Carolina Search and Rescue based out of Pitt County, Brunswick Search & Rescue, and Chocowinity Search & Rescue met with Carteret County deputies for a briefing at 8 at the Newport Fire Department Lake Road Substation.

Article update

UPDATE: Search continues missing man in the Croatan National Forest

[...]

Sheriff Asa Buck said Sunday night a team was wrapping up after joining multiple crews in the search for Joshua Clauson, 20, who was reported missing when he didn’t return from a walk on Saturday.

Multiple teams searched all day on Sunday and will start again Monday morning, according to Buck.

Buck said NC Wildlife and Highway Patrol will assist in the search from the air on Monday morning in addition to having search teams on the ground.

May 31, 2021
Search continues for missing man in Croatan National Forest

CROATAN NATIONAL FOREST, Carteret County — Crews are searching for 20-year-old Joshua Clauson in the Croatan National Forest for the second day in a row. Clauson was last seen Saturday, entering the forest behind Lake Road Mobile Home Park in Newport.

Carteret County Sheriff Asa Buck said they have increased their crews on the ground and in the air. State Highway Patrol has a helicopter circling above the Croatan right now and those who knew Joshua Clauson say they are praying for crews to find him soon as night three approaches.

[...]

Officials continue search for Newport man missing in Croatan National Forest

[...]

Sheriff Asa Buck said Monday the search is still ongoing.

“We have search and rescue teams from all over eastern North Carolina (involved),” Sheriff Buck said. “Additional teams are deploying as we speak.”

As of Sunday, 30 searchers and three K9 units have been deployed.

https://twitter.com/MScaranoNews/status/1399397891525988358

A look at all the crews at the Newport Fire Department searching to find missing 20 year-old Joshua Clauson. Today crews have upped their numbers on the ground and in the air. Stay with @wcti12 for the latest in the search.

(video at link)

As more time passes, the more I don't like the sounds of this story. Something is off. How can a 20-year old man get lost for two days in the woods right near his home? Yes the woods are thick, but it's not an area that has cliffs to fall off of or places to get stuck.

As more time passes, the more I don't like the sounds of this story. Something is off. How can a 20-year old man get lost for two days in the woods right near his home? Yes the woods are thick, but it's not an area that has cliffs to fall off of or places to get stuck.
I agree with you Claire....the story doesn't sound right to me. For a 5 year old missing yes...but a 20 year old can't find his way out of the local woods....just doesn't sound right.

I agree with you- if he can walk he should have reached civilization by now!
I truly believe it is not foul play of some sort ! Many young man disappear in National Forest without any trace!
All my OP!

My hinky meter went up. Seems like the last thing you’d do if you were lost is separate. And I don’t understand how that could happen accidentally.

I know what you mean. I just had to put new batteries in my hinky meter - it smoked and shorted out after following all the strange reports lately, and if batteries don't take care of it I'll have to get a new one!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayjay90
Back