Found Safe NC - Joshua Clauson, 20, Croatan National Forest, 29 May 2021

Google Maps

So which Highway did the relative make it to by listening for cars?
(Map above for reference)

He exited on Rams Horn Road, at the southern end of the woods.

I'm guessing he listened to the sounds of the cars on the main road to the west.

Attachments

• Image_1622507640.jpg
    Image_1622507640.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Image_1622406908.jpg
    Image_1622406908.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 26
@annpats thank you!:)
I was trying to visualize where the relative ended up at, the distance he walked, etc.
I found the following article as well.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article251798383.html

Additional link

May 31, 2021
Crews are searching the Croatan National Forest for a North Carolina man who hasn’t returned from a walk.

Joshua Clauson and family member went into the coastal forest off Lake Road around 10 a.m. Saturday, relatives told the Carteret County Sheriff’s Office.

During the walk, the two got lost and separated, the sheriff’s office says.

The relative told deputies he found his way out of the forest by following the sounds of passing cars. He eventually escaped on Rams Horn Road — more than 4 miles from where he entered the forest.

He eventually escaped on Rams Horn Road — more than 4 miles from where he entered the forest.

It's quite a way to travel and I wonder how his relative got out of the woods at the Rams Horn Road end so quickly as SAR states the woods "are very dense and hard to manoeuvre through...."

This is such a bizarre story that it’s hard to believe at face value.

That area is extremely remote, and has tons of water and swamp land.

I haven’t seen any MSM coverage that points towards service in the army or marines but there is a big marine base in the area and there have been a lot of strange stories that past 4-5 years in eastern NC related to drugs and murders (Cherry Point & Fort Bragg) tied to military bases.

Last edited:
I was not implying anyone in this case is/was in the military - I replied to the poster that suggested the missing person's phone could have had a compass app. Based on my experience in the military (where we are trained to use a compass), some people can't use one. Meaning it wouldn't have been of any use to them if they couldn't use/read it properly.

Maybe it's my SAR training, but it seems like common sense to me to have some way of knowing your way around in the woods, or at least a bail-out plan in case you get disoriented. And isn't the segment they got "lost" in surrounded by roads? Meaning if you pick ANY direction and stick with it, you will eventually hit a road again?

I was not implying anyone in this case is/was in the military - I replied to the poster that suggested the missing person's phone could have had a compass app. Based on my experience in the military (where we are trained to use a compass), some people can't use one. Meaning it wouldn't have been of any use to them if they couldn't use/read it properly.

Not sure if you’re responding to me or not.

My military comment was in regards to their being a marine base near by and a lot of strange drug/murder related issues at eastern NC military bases the past handful of years.

Not sure if you’re responding to me or not.

My military comment was in regards to their being a marine base near by and a lot of strange drug/murder related issues at eastern NC military bases the past handful of years.
I was. I thought it was a reply to me, which makes no sense since it made no sense. Sorry for misunderstanding and thanks for clarification. :)

I was. I thought it was a reply to me, which makes no sense since it made no sense. Sorry for misunderstanding and thanks for clarification. :)

All good. I didn’t realize military was being discussed in another context before I posted. Then when I went back and read you discussing using a compass, I realized that our posts could easily be confused. Cheers.

Maybe it's my SAR training, but it seems like common sense to me to have some way of knowing your way around in the woods, or at least a bail-out plan in case you get disoriented. And isn't the segment they got "lost" in surrounded by roads? Meaning if you pick ANY direction and stick with it, you will eventually hit a road again?

Agreed. I also am very skeptical of the two relatives getting separated. That area is flat and I’d have to think sound would travel pretty far. And with a good amount of water, the area to feasibly get separated in, wouldn’t be extremely expansive.

Something seems off here. Just going for a walk? And they got separated? I’m not doubting that they did go in and got separated - but there’s a lot more to this story, IMO. That said, I don’t know this particular area, but there are crocodiles there. Isn’t this the time of year when male crocodiles are particularly aggressive? I wonder what his state of mind was.

Agreed. I also am very skeptical of the two relatives getting separated. That area is flat and I’d have to think sound would travel pretty far. And with a good amount of water, the area to feasibly get separated in, wouldn’t be extremely expansive.
And it was daytime, right? If the forest is so dense, how could you get separated? Wouldn’t you have to stay in the same general *path* to even be walking through it?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MildredVeraHolmes
Back