OR - Barbara Tucker, 19, bludgeoned to death, Gresham; 15 January 1980 *ARREST*

madfrank

ASBO-rrific
Reaction score
If Louise Tucker were alive, she'd still be asking, 'How could this have happened?'

Tucker's desperate search for answers began when her 19-year-old daughter, Barbara, was bludgeoned to death.

It intensified when she learned that witnesses actually had seen a young man grab Barbara off a busy Gresham street and drag her into the bushes and witnesses who had not stopped to help her.

It continued when a former boyfriend of Barbara, whom Louise Tucker considered to be the No. 1 suspect and whom police called 'uncooperative,' successfully and legally avoided providing physical evidence that could have been used against him.

And it persisted to the end of her life, as she tried to keep the Gresham Police Department and the Multnomah County district attorney's office from letting the case slip through the cracks.
more:
Old case, new technology: Will the killer be found?

^ this is a very long longread, well worth the time. Who dunnit? It's always the former boyfriend, the boyfriend, or the boyfriend-to-be, right? Read it and see what you think, in a case that has echoes of the Kitty Genovese murder in NYC, when witnesses also did nothing.​

Last edited:
^ I should have noted in the OP that the article is from 2003. The case has never been solved, and is cold as a stone 40 years on in spite of the murderer having been seen in the act of killing Barbara Mae Tucker, 19 years old, her whole life to live.

If Louise Tucker were alive, she'd still be asking, 'How could this have happened?'

Tucker's desperate search for answers began when her 19-year-old daughter, Barbara, was bludgeoned to death.

It intensified when she learned that witnesses actually had seen a young man grab Barbara off a busy Gresham street and drag her into the bushes and witnesses who had not stopped to help her.

It continued when a former boyfriend of Barbara, whom Louise Tucker considered to be the No. 1 suspect and whom police called 'uncooperative,' successfully and legally avoided providing physical evidence that could have been used against him.

And it persisted to the end of her life, as she tried to keep the Gresham Police Department and the Multnomah County district attorney's office from letting the case slip through the cracks.
more:

^ this is a very long longread, well worth the time. Who dunnit? It's always the former boyfriend, the boyfriend, or the boyfriend-to-be, right? Read it and see what you think, in a case that has echoes of the Kitty Genovese murder in NYC, when witnesses also did nothing.​

I have thought about this case for the 41 years. I went to MHCC and Barbara was in one of my classes. Her murder was so shocking. Since new technology has come into play in tracking familial DNA I thought this case may be solved. I thought I had read an article that said there wasn't enough DNA left from her case to do further testing. I'm wondering if it's enough for Parabon to do a composite or for familial DNA research. When I heard about this new technology I was so hoping her murder would be solved and the killer brought to justice.

I have thought about this case for the 41 years. I went to MHCC and Barbara was in one of my classes. Her murder was so shocking. Since new technology has come into play in tracking familial DNA I thought this case may be solved. I thought I had read an article that said there wasn't enough DNA left from her case to do further testing. I'm wondering if it's enough for Parabon to do a composite or for familial DNA research. When I heard about this new technology I was so hoping her murder would be solved and the killer brought to justice.
Arrest made!!!

Gresham police use DNA to identify suspect in 1980 cold case | kgw.com

Police arrested Robert Plympton, 58, on Tuesday for the murder of 19-year-old Barbara Mae Tucker.

Police said they identified the suspect using DNA technology that wasn't available back then.

The victim was a sophomore at Mt. Hood Community College in Gresham when she was killed on Jan. 15, 1980.

Finally, justice for Barbara. I hope her sisters are able to gain closure from this tragedy and will see justice for their baby sister.

I want to know long until we find out if RP was an ex-boyfriend, former boyfriend or what his relationship was to BT. I'm curious to know what info had been gathered on him over all these years.

RIP Barbara.

Last edited:
I want to know long until we find out if RP was an ex-boyfriend, former boyfriend or what his relationship was to BT. I'm curious to know what info had been gathered on him over all these years.

Given that she was 19, and a college student, and that he would have been probably 17, it's unlikely that he was her boyfriend. I read somewhere that he lived near to where the crime occurred; she may have been a target of opportunity, or perhaps he had been watching her for a while, as a potential victim.

Gresham police use DNA to identify suspect in 1980 cold case | kgw.com

Police arrested Robert Plympton, 58, on Tuesday for the murder of 19-year-old Barbara Mae Tucker.

Police said they identified the suspect using DNA technology that wasn't available back then.

The victim was a sophomore at Mt. Hood Community College in Gresham when she was killed on Jan. 15, 1980.

Finally, justice for Barbara. I hope her sisters are able to gain closure from this tragedy and will see justice for their baby sister.

RIP Barbara.

Was so glad to hear this today. I went to school with her didn't really know her but was in a class with her. Just thought of her last night and hoping for the last few years that her case would be solved with the new DNA technology. I'm so surprised but not not surprised and very happy that this happened. As I understand it he was from troutdale and was 16 years old at the time of the murder he's been here hiding the whole entire time apparently has a very violent criminal history.

I hope you saw the News today Katie!!!

more:

Suspect arrested

more:

This is a good article that provides a lot of background information about Barbara, her family and friends and the investigation. It's a good thing they didn't pursue charges against her former boyfriend as her killer turned out to be someone else, most likely a total stranger.

In 1978, Barbara graduated from Cleveland High and enrolled at Mt. Hood. In fall 1979, after commuting from home during her freshman year, she moved to an apartment complex almost directly across from campus.

'Mom was depressed when Barby moved out,' says Barbara's sister Susan Pater of Portland. 'But Barby wanted her independence, and to be closer to school.'

Shortly before Barbara's death, her sister Alice Juan observed a change in her. 'Barby just shined,' she says. 'I teased her about whether she had a new boyfriend. She said, 'Well, maybe.' '

Evening plans

It snowed on Jan. 8 and 9, 1980, and while the snow was mostly gone by the 15th, it had been raining for several days. It would rain a half-inch that day; the overnight low dipped to 35 degrees.

Barbara and a friend from her apartment complex, Lori Thomas Stomps, played hooky that afternoon and went to a Gresham gym, then back to Barbara's apartment. Barbara drove.

'She had an old beater,' Stomps says. 'She always drove. I don't recall her walking.' That was an observation that Tucker's family would make repeatedly in the coming weeks and years: She never walked, especially to night classes; she always drove.

Stomps, who says no one called or came by Barbara's apartment while she was there, left sometime after it got dark. The weather, she recalls, was 'still clear, but just really cold. Windy, really nasty.'

Barbara also talked to her mother by telephone late that day, telling her that she was going to stop by Stomps' apartment for ice cream if her 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. class got out early.

But Barbara neither showed up for class nor visited Stomps.

While listening to the radio the next day, Louise Tucker heard about the slaying of a Mt. Hood student. She called her now-deceased sister, Ruth Klohk, to fret. 'There are thousands of girls at Mt. Hood. Don't be worried,' Klohk told her.

Just then, two men came to the Tuckers' door and rang the bell. Albert Tucker talked to them briefly and walked into the kitchen. The look on his face, Louise Tucker said later, was all she needed to see. 'Ruth!' she screamed. 'Ruth, it's my Barby!' She hung up the phone.

Barbara's body had been found by a fellow student at 7 o'clock that morning in a snow-fringed grove of trees adjacent to Northeast Kane Drive, which forms the college's western boundary. Her books and purse were scattered around her. Her car was found at her apartment.

Although police thought she had been attacked while walking to class, Louise Tucker always suspected that she got a ride with someone she knew. 'It was terribly cold Ñ it was a horrible night,' she told a reporter years later.

According to the medical examiner's office, Barbara 'definitely appeared to have been sexually assaulted' and had died of head injuries. Juan, who knew Dr. William Brady, the county's medical examiner at the time, recalls his telling her that the head wounds could have been caused by something like a tire iron.

Juan says Brady also told her that Barbara had defensive wounds, incurred in her attempt to fight off her attacker, and had some of his skin under her fingernails. She had, Brady said, 'fought like hell.'

Nobody stopped

Louise Tucker wasn't the only one to hear of the murder through the media. A woman quickly came forward to say that she had been traveling on Kane Drive shortly before 7 p.m. Jan 15 and had seen both Barbara and a young man close to where Barbara's body was found some 12 hours later.

The name of this woman, and those of other witnesses who apparently also saw Barbara and/or the young man, are being withheld by Gresham police. But Louise Tucker told reporters that she understood that the female witness saw Barbara trying to flag down cars on the heavily traveled thoroughfare; several cars had to brake to keep from hitting her, and one car nearly hit her.

The driver of that car, apparently the female witness, later described seeing blood and mud on Barbara's face and a man grab one of her arms and pull her off the road. Another witness saw a man, looking 'wide-eyed and apparently shocked,' emerge from the bushes in the same area of Kane Drive, according to a statement made by Gresham police in 1990.

Nobody stopped to help Barbara. The female witness, who came to Barbara's funeral, told the victim's family that until she heard about the murder, she thought she had been observing a college prank or students dodging traffic.

Louise Tucker was haunted that there were witnesses who had not stopped.

'It's unreal that people care so little about another human being,' she said in 1981.

March 18, 2024
''PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — A man living in the suburbs of Portland, Oregon, has been found guilty in the 1980 cold case murder of a 19-year-old college student.
Multnomah County Circuit Judge Amy Baggio on Friday found Robert Plympton, 60, guilty of first-degree murder in the death of Barbara Mae Tucker, the Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office said in a news release on Monday.''

''In 2021, a genealogist with Parabon Nanolabs using DNA technology identified Plympton as likely linked to the DNA in the case. Detectives with the Gresham Police Department who found Plympton living in Troutdale, began conducting surveillance and collected a piece of chewing gum he had spit onto the ground, according to prosecutors.''

March 19 2024
''The business student had been sexually assaulted and beaten to death, CBS affiliate KOIN-TV reported.
Multnomah County Chief Deputy District Attorney Kirsten Snowden said there was no evidence that Tucker and Plympton knew each other, The Oregonian/OregonLive reported.
plympton.jpg
Robert Plympton MULTNOMAH COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE
''Plympton said he was innocent and that he didn't match the description of a man seen pulling her into the bushes.
He is scheduled to be sentenced in June.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dressie
Back