Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #61 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe it was impounded either that early in the case. But one has to think they would not take this to trial without some hard evidence that she is deceased and without some hard evidence her body was tampered with. What that evidence is remains to be seen and thinking waaaay back to the Cal Harris case where no body was ever found if it's enough dna or blood or whatever they got to prove that it was connected to a murder by Barry.

I think they've got everything they need to convict. Just have a problem wondering if the prosecution will be able to connect all the dots during trial or will the defense wear them down so they're not able to. I seriously hope not. This guy needs to be caged for the rest of his miserable life.

JMO

I think they've got everything they need to convict. Just have a problem wondering if the prosecution will be able to connect all the dots during trial or will the defense wear them down so they're not able to. I seriously hope not. This guy needs to be caged for the rest of his miserable life.

JMO

Have faith. There is no doubt in my mind he murdered Suzanne and that he has left enough evidence to prove without doubt he is guilty.

I completely agree other than the statements about Barry being a "dim lightbulb"....there is no evidence of that and "we" the public have rarely heard him speak plus I would not consider any college graduate running their own businesses and seemingly living a nice upper middle class life a dim lightbulb so we differ there.
The first time I heard him speak in an interview was when he told LS, "I didn't do nothing wrong at the hotel." That's not how I would expect a college graduate to speak but I do believe he is knowledgeable about horticulture and landscaping. His success may have had more to do with his being extremely driven, as Andy described him, rather than intelligence.

It does take a certain amount of skill to be deceptive and manipulative but that didn't work out too well for him in the end. Voting for his deceased wife was not so smart. Blaming LE for botching the investigation, without ever thanking them for their efforts, was not so bright either. It just made him look guilty. Imo

This^^^
I believe the judge is biased toward the defense. And I think that is a problem. He needs to appear impartial. One reason I don't like the withholding of the AA from the public is I feel the judge's decision to seal it until August shields him from questions about whether he is an impartial party. I don't want to impugn the judge's character but it is fair to ask.

Not being familiar with the process of an AA, does anyone know who drew up the AA? Would it have been team members of the prosecutor's office? Affidavits can include the sworn testimony of potential witnesses to a crime. Are witness affidavits rolled into the AA provided by the prosecution? Embellishments and speculation in sworn testimony would have to be redacted if considered prejudicial to the defendant. Can someone clarify? Thanks.

I completely agree other than the statements about Barry being a "dim lightbulb"....there is no evidence of that and "we" the public have rarely heard him speak plus I would not consider any college graduate running their own businesses and seemingly living a nice upper middle class life a dim lightbulb so we differ there.

That lightbulb not only dimmed, it shattered and went dark.

JMO

The first time I heard him speak in an interview was when he told LS, "I didn't do nothing wrong at the hotel." That's not how I would expect a college graduate to speak but I do believe he is knowledgeable about horticulture and landscaping. His success may have had more to do with his being extremely driven, as Andy described him, rather than intelligence.

It does take a certain amount of skill to be deceptive and manipulative but that didn't work out too well for him in the end. Voting for his deceased wife was not so smart. Blaming LE for botching the investigation, without ever thanking them for their efforts, was not so bright either. It just made him look guilty. Imo
Barry has grammar and word usage problems. I believe in one interview he said, “We was...”. These simple, elementary subject verb agreement errors make him appear uneducated and dim. Even a middle schooler would know better.

Not being familiar with the process of an AA, does anyone know who drew up the AA? Would it have been team members of the prosecutor's office? Affidavits can include the sworn testimony of potential witnesses to a crime. Are witness affidavits rolled into the AA provided by the prosecution? Embellishments and speculation in sworn testimony would have to be redacted if considered prejudicial to the defendant. Can someone clarify? Thanks.
I believe the police do the AA, but not sure. I am interested in an expert's opinion myself.

I believe the police do the AA, but not sure. I am interested in an expert's opinion myself.

I've always understood it that the lead investigator on the case is the one who writes the affidavit for the judge. It's their job to convince the judge that what they've discovered during the course of the investigation leads to probable cause to arrest the suspect. I may be oversimplifying it though. Maybe @OldCop can share his thoughts on this.

Last edited:

He may be a crackerjack in running a business and making money. My comment was in regard to his abilities in evidence tampering and fabrication. If in-fact he dismembered Susan rather than the much easier method I previously mentioned that had a super low probability of detection, then we can add that to the list of his shortcomings.

IMO Barry is not an intellectual but that doesn't mean he isn't cunning and driven. People can be smart in many different ways and it is easy to underestimate someone based on preconceived notions of what smart and successful should look like.
Is BM smart? None of us really know if we are wondering about his IQ. He did graduate from Purdue but that was many years ago and he may have been on the “athlete” program with special classes and special teachers - I don’t really know. And yes IMO if you can make it thru high school, pretty much anyone can then graduate college. He seems to me to be more street smart than book smart. It takes skill to be a con man - you have to be quick to assess people and situations and capitalize on them.
So yes, I think he is smart in certain areas. Others maybe not so much. Not so unusual. IMO

IMO Barry is not an intellectual but that doesn't mean he isn't cunning and driven. People can be smart in many different ways and it is easy to underestimate someone based on preconceived notions of what smart and successful should look like.

And we haven't seen the side of him that might actually be charming to many people. I've known someone who appears like him: a hail-fellow-well-met type, can endear himself to many people, gregarious, outgoing, fairly smart but not an intellectual, salt of the earth type.

That type of person can wrack up a lot of friends and acquaintances who always have a good word for them. The guy I knew was a salesman, a very successful one, who used your name about five times when he first met you. He never forgot someone's name, even months afterward. A guy's guy, definitely.

He always said he would give his children 'wings and roots'. Well, when things weren't always going so well on the marital front he engaged in blistering put downs of his spouse. An argument in the kitchen resulted in him taking a pot of boiling water off the stove and threatening to throw it at my friend. She still stayed with him. The last straw was when he pushed her off the verandah. Granted, it was only about three feet off the ground but it took reminding her that if they'd lived in a high rise, she'd be dead.

And sometimes family members aren't always on board with your decision to leave an individual who is verbally and physically abusive to you. As my friend's sister said to her, "that's too bad, he has the potential to be a very rich man."

Over the course of 30 years I've known four women, three of them friends, who have been in controlling, dangerous relationships. One left voluntarily (the one above), one got a reprieve when her husband was deported back to England because of charges against him. The third I ended the relationship. The last woman is actually a thread on WS. Her brother is married to the daughter of a friend of mine. She got thrown off a balcony but it wasn't three feet high.

So looking at Google Earth all up and down County Road 105, I am not seeing a property improvement that would include a "beach" feature, as in beach sand and stone.

How often does the Arkansas river go into flood stage, or at least come over its banks enough to sweep away a sand "beach". Something really bugs me about this, just can't put my finger on it yet.

MOO he isn't slow, he works fast and is a run on talker.

MOO “Dim Lightbulb” is a great description. He wasn’t smart enough to walk away from a marriage he wanted to end for whatever reason. You don’t find many Phi Beta Kappas facing Life Without Parole for Premeditated Murder One of their wife. In his famous 27 second video which he had time to prepare and totally script, he had trouble stringing 3 coherent sentences together. Dim bulb it seems! MOO :D

Maybe they were both driving around in the truck but his mom didn't want to get out and scramble down the hillside. He may have walked a distance from the truck, and she pulled up to pick him up.
That’s exactly what I think was going on at the time. My take on it is BM came walking down the road towards TD. BM had stopped his truck quite aways a way from where TD was standing. MOO

Did a bit more Google Earth investigation and there is only one property along County Road 105 that looks like it is a recent build and has some landscaping, there is lighter colored "material" along the river bank. The property has a pond and what looks like a horse or livestock barn. I wish I could confirm if this is the property or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yigerendelu032