SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.thestate.com/news/state/south-carolina/article252022183.html

Headline:
Paul Murdaugh may have been killer’s target, sources say. Here’s where the case stands

Additionally the father of Alex Murdaugh, Randolph Murdaugh, passed away today:

Randolph Murdaugh, relative of slain Colleton County mother, son, dies
Scant few details but still three things in particular jump out to me
  • Shooting happened between 9-9:30pm while Alex was out
So the perpetrator(s) either chose to assault the lodge right at nightfall and Alex happened to be out at that time or they infiltrated in the daylight and waited for Alex to leave. The 9-9:30pm time frame inclines me to believe 9pm is the time Alex has stated he last spoke to the victims or when he left the lodge and 9:30 is when he has stated he discovered the crime scene.
  • Paul was shot at least twice with a shotgun, Maggie with what appears to have been an assault rifle
This lone fact paints all kinds of awful possibilities in my mind. I think it's safe to say that the violence was not something that was over in seconds. I also am somewhat inclined to think this indicates that no assault rifle was recovered from the scene but perhaps a shotgun was - or it might just be that characteristic shotgun stippling was obvious enough to first responders before the detectives closed the scene that rumor made its way out. Both of these weapons might also be found in a hunting lodge or even on an atv or whatever vehicle they used on the grounds
  • A statement was immediately issued that there was no threat to the community
This one is almost baffling. I understand not wanting a community to panic but the authorities typically want to be 98% sure before they make a statement like this and it almost always means that they believe the perpetrators are either in custody or dead. I'm unsure if they would say this if it was a confirmed targeted attack though, like perhaps if the reason Alex found the scene so quickly is if he received a phone call - which might also indicate something else that I'm not allowed to speculate yet.

Also the loss of the Grandfather. For Alex to have lost his wife, one of his sons and his father in just a few days is so awful I cannot imagine it happening in a just world. No one could possibly deserve that kind of pain, I think?

Edited to add I just now closely read the article on Randolph's death and noticed that Randolph's father, Alex's grandfather was elected the county solicitor (aka district attorney in most states) in 1920, was killed in 1940 in a train crash, was replaced by Randolph who spent his entire career in the position before Alex was appointed to it in the 80s until 2006 when Alex left the position to open a private practice ending the longest family line to have held an office in US history according to the practice's website. It seems awfully strange to me for someone to abandon such a legacy to open a private law firm. Alex must have had a powerful motivation for doing so.

Last edited:
I will definitely be following this case.
Why Paul and his mother? Did the family normally live at the lodge at this time of year? Where was his father at the time? Does Paul's older brother typically visit?

Did Alex Sr also work on the same kind of cases as his wife?

I really don't believe that 'trespassers' committed the killings. It just doesn't ring true to me. JMO.

Community members, neighbors react to murders of two Murdaugh family members | WCBD News 2

Local news calls it two murders...and references rumors of husband/father Alex as POI.

"On Wednesday, rumors circulated that AM has been named a “Person of interest” in the case. The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division says it’s committed to a thorough investigation into Monday night’s deadly shooting."
I think the article lists the name now instead of the initials. Also, there are two in the family with the same name.

I am brand new to these cases and I have no idea what’s going on here. But I was thinking about justice tonight, and that maybe, possibly, the best form of justice in a case such as this would be for Paul to become the son to Mallory’s parents, join their family as the most loyal and enthusiastic member. Mallorys parents stand with him at his wedding, Mallory’s parents are primary grandparents. Sounds crazy I know. It sure would be better than this mess. Or putting a promising?kid who made a dumb mistake in prison for twenty years. Wouldn’t a family like Mallory’s prefer to add to their family rather than just loss? JM crazy O

I am brand new to these cases and I have no idea what’s going on here. But I was thinking about justice tonight, and that maybe, possibly, the best form of justice in a case such as this would be for Paul to become the son to Mallory’s parents, join their family as the most loyal and enthusiastic member. Mallorys parents stand with him at his wedding, Mallory’s parents are primary grandparents. Sounds crazy I know. It sure would be better than this mess. Or putting a promising?kid who made a dumb mistake in prison for twenty years. Wouldn’t a family like Mallory’s prefer to add to their family rather than just loss? JM crazy O

While the scenario above would have been a lovely way for this tragedy to play out, it can’t happen. Paul, 22, was shot to death on Monday June 7, along with his mother Margaret, 52. Their surviving family members are Paul’s dad, Alex, and Paul’s brother. Paul’s paternal grandfather, Randolph, died today of natural cause. It has been reported that he had been ill.

It is a complicated tragic drama for sure. The Murdaugh family is a legal dynasty in South Carolina. Paul was criminally charged in the boat accident death of Mallory Beach that happened in 2019. His trial had not yet happened when he died. With Paul’s death, there is no defendant to try, so charges will be dropped. The Beach family had filed a civil suit against the Murdaugh family and the convenience store who sold alcohol to some of the underaged students on the boat that night. I believe this week’s deaths in the Murtaugh family may interrupt but will not stop the civil matter from proceeding.

Questions Swirl After Powerful Lawyer’s Wife, Son Are Killed Amid Fatal Boat Party Probe

Last edited:
I think the article lists the name now instead of the initials. Also, there are two in the family with the same name.

The article above has always stated Paul’s father’s name in the text. It was edited by a moderator in the QUOTES that were on this thread because Websleuths’ policy is not to name or label someone as a POI unless LE describes them that way. The original article stated there were rumors that this person was a POI, but we don’t allow such discussion unless confirmed by LE. In lieu of that confirmation, we ask that members refer to person named in rumor statements in the news article by his initials only. Clear as mud I know, but it’s the rules.

I got in a little trouble and was edited earlier about this. I fully understand and didn’t intend blame. I was referring to the earlier articles that did report as rumored and I used “named”. My mistake.

Randolph's father, Alex's grandfather was elected the county solicitor (aka district attorney in most states) in 1920, was killed in 1940 in a train crash, was replaced by Randolph who spent his entire career in the position before Alex was appointed to it in the 80s until 2006 when Alex left the position to open a private practice ending the longest family line to have held an office in US history according to the practice's website. It seems awfully strange to me for someone to abandon such a legacy to open a private law firm. Alex must have had a powerful motivation for doing so.

Well, making a few bucks is the obvious motivation for most lawyers who leave government work to go into private practice. But it’s hard to believe this family’s wealth has been accumulating only since 2006 so there must have been some other source of significant income along the way. Still, my guess is that Alex decided to cash in.

Well, making a few bucks is the obvious motivation for most lawyers who leave government work to go into private practice. But it’s hard to believe this family’s wealth has been accumulating only since 2006 so there must have been some other source of significant income along the way. Still, my guess is that Alex decided to cash in.
The law firm opened in 1910, so he did not go start a firm, he was joining his family's firm that was already there.

Following the money. So, grandfather was ill and close to death. Suddenly two family members who would presumably benefit from an inheritance were killed. Who stands to benefit?

We never know what’s in a will, but the standard inheritance clause would provide equal amounts for each child of Randolph and a per stirpes allocation to children of any deceased child (i.e., Randolph’s grandchildren). In my experience most people don’t provide separately for in-laws. If this is the case in Randolph’s will, there’s only one person who would benefit from the two deaths and that benefit is not immediate. In my opinion, inheritance is very unlikely to be a motive.

Following the money. So, grandfather was ill and close to death. Suddenly two family members who would presumably benefit from an inheritance were killed. Who stands to benefit?

An inheritance as well as family fortune (or at least part of it) that was potentially at risk from an upcoming civil lawsuit. I could go several ways on this one. Just waiting for more info to come out, but this is certainly quite a twist in a case I had completely forgotten about.

...RSBM for focus...
Additionally the father of Alex Murdaugh, Randolph Murdaugh, passed away today:

Randolph Murdaugh, relative of slain Colleton County mother, son, dies
From the quoted link: "... The law firm did not specify a cause of death. ..."

Another link provides his age:
Former 14th Circuit Solicitor Randolph Murdaugh III dies days after family members killed | WSAV-TV

"HAMPTON, S.C. (WSAV) – Former 14th Circuit Solicitor Randolph Murdaugh III has died, according to the law firm of Peters Murdaugh Parker Eltzroth and Detrick (PMPED). He was 81. ..."

An inheritance as well as family fortune (or at least part of it) that was potentially at risk from an upcoming civil lawsuit. I could go several ways on this one. Just waiting for more info to come out, but this is certainly quite a twist in a case I had completely forgotten about.

The deaths have no effect at all on the civil lawsuit. If the “family fortune” was at risk from a civil lawsuit a week ago, it is equally at risk today.

Scant few details but still three things in particular jump out to me
  • Shooting happened between 9-9:30pm while Alex was out
So the perpetrator(s) either chose to assault the lodge right at nightfall and Alex happened to be out at that time or they infiltrated in the daylight and waited for Alex to leave. The 9-9:30pm time frame inclines me to believe 9pm is the time Alex has stated he last spoke to the victims or when he left the lodge and 9:30 is when he has stated he discovered the crime scene.
  • Paul was shot at least twice with a shotgun, Maggie with what appears to have been an assault rifle
This lone fact paints all kinds of awful possibilities in my mind. I think it's safe to say that the violence was not something that was over in seconds. I also am somewhat inclined to think this indicates that no assault rifle was recovered from the scene but perhaps a shotgun was - or it might just be that characteristic shotgun stippling was obvious enough to first responders before the detectives closed the scene that rumor made its way out. Both of these weapons might also be found in a hunting lodge or even on an atv or whatever vehicle they used on the grounds
  • A statement was immediately issued that there was no threat to the community
This one is almost baffling. I understand not wanting a community to panic but the authorities typically want to be 98% sure before they make a statement like this and it almost always means that they believe the perpetrators are either in custody or dead. I'm unsure if they would say this if it was a confirmed targeted attack though, like perhaps if the reason Alex found the scene so quickly is if he received a phone call - which might also indicate something else that I'm not allowed to speculate yet.

Also the loss of the Grandfather. For Alex to have lost his wife, one of his sons and his father in just a few days is so awful I cannot imagine it happening in a just world. No one could possibly deserve that kind of pain, I think?

Edited to add I just now closely read the article on Randolph's death and noticed that Randolph's father, Alex's grandfather was elected the county solicitor (aka district attorney in most states) in 1920, was killed in 1940 in a train crash, was replaced by Randolph who spent his entire career in the position before Alex was appointed to it in the 80s until 2006 when Alex left the position to open a private practice ending the longest family line to have held an office in US history according to the practice's website. It seems awfully strange to me for someone to abandon such a legacy to open a private law firm. Alex must have had a powerful motivation for doing so.

Your edit is interesting. AM only stayed in the position of Solicitor for one year, that caught my eye too. Why would he only work for one year and leave so soon? I did read that he remained an Asst Solicitor. Why would he leave the power position to be an assistant and go back into private practice. Maybe there was a big case that lead to the decision = $$$$

The deaths have no effect at all on the civil lawsuit. If the “family fortune” was at risk from a civil lawsuit a week ago, it is equally at risk today.
Because it's public record I can share the Hampton County properties (and there are a lot of them) were transferred from AM to Maggie in I believe 2017. She was not party to the civil lawsuit...now that she has passed (and I'm assuming there's an estate involved) how the civil suit goes may be even more important, jmo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member