TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #47

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. We do know that she had chest and head wounds, referred to as "puncture" wounds. And consistent with the tools SP was carrying. Some contend that the wounds could be all gunshot wounds. They were called puncture wounds before the autopsy was completed, leaving us to think that they were tool wounds. Now we know SP had a gun. I think the wounds were a combination of gunshot and tool wounds. I speculate with you, that the chest wounds added to the pleasure SP got out of killing her. If SP was going to hang around long enough to wound her with tools, having a gun at the ready, why not just shoot her in the head several times to do the trick? JMO

OK. I must not have read the first warrant. The first I remember of reporting how she died was the "puncture wounds to head and chest" . Since the warrant says so, and was approved by a judge, they must have already been quite sure that the head wound killed her, and either already knew that it was a gunshot wound, or highly suspected so.
I am very leery of LE statements, because of the whole "southwest area of the interior" fiasco. Not to mention, the "puncture" business. Have you gleaned from any conversations, ANY idea as to whether she was shot from behind, or the side, or if she was facing SP?
Yes, could have been injured by glass, I guess. Unless the camper who reportedly tried CPR moved her, she must have been found on her back.?? Do you think that she was shot more than once? Have you any idea if there was blood spatter evidence? Is there a scenario that you imagine, without committing yourself to it? Has anyone given you their scenario, that seems plausible to you? ty JMO
The whole thing about the SW corner, I believe, was a mistake. I think someone incorrectly designated the front of the church as “south” when the awning side had actually been designated as south. If the front had been considered south, then It would have been correct to say she was found at the SW corner.

I do not know how many times she was shot. My guess is just once, but that is only a guess. I do know some details about how she was shot directionally, but I’m not comfortable publicizing it. Police didn’t want the gun shot information to get out at all, and I think it’s probably best to keep that under wraps.

yes, she was on her back from what the CSI tech saw. But CPR had been done so there is no telling how she was initially found.

on blood spatter, I noticed that the CSI report mentioned pools of blood but didn’t mention spatter. Maybe he just chose not to describe it. But it made me wonder if there was a lack of spatter.

On an imagined scenario, your guess is as good as mine. But because I lean toward Untargeted, I imagine a scenario in which missy walks up the hallway and SP emerges from the auditorium behind her putting each of them in the other persons way in terms of exit. Not sure how much of a chase there was, not sure whether she crashed through the display case or whether it broke due to an errant shot.

It absolutely was not blurred by LE. What you are seeing is an unedited view of the plate. It is compromised by the rain and glare. SWFA have, as they put it, “ridiculously good” monitors. And they had the benefit of being able to see the footage in its highest-quality resolution prior to the compressed footage that we all have seen on YouTube. Even so, they said they were unable to distinguish even one letter.

Apparently LE has not found the car, because as recently as the 5-year anniversary mark 2 months ago they said they were still looking for the driver.

Thank you. In that case, it's possible SP was using a reflective paint or lights to obscure the back plate. They used to sell these to defeat red light cameras back in the day.

<modsnip>

This could just be noise. I with there were better resolution images. I'm surprised how they can't find the car. They have access to databases to narrow down and this was reported right away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, Failed at exercising. Looks a bit out of shape :)

Somewhat OT: I'm a nutrition educator in real life. The Swat Perp can take simple, concrete steps to support their own health, and so can you!

Agree completely watching the video that this person is not currently an athlete. If the gait pattern we see is from birth, the individual probably disliked PE class and avoids activity at least in part because 'gymtimidation' is real. Did this person focus the frustrations & hurts of their childhood on the very active, fit, fitness instructor Missy?

Possibly.

If the gait pattern is due to injury -- the frustrations & hurts of the injury may be focused on the very active, fit, fitness instructor Missy.

The active, fit, fitness instructor posting her schedule on Facebook for the world to see.

Or, an inept vandal. This is Texas, theoretically even inept vandals have sidearms.

I apparently have a physical structure similar to SPs, and have added joint injuries. BUT I focus on maintaining mobility while SP may be somehow blaming CrossFit?

Anyone find press about a CrossFit instructor in a serious car accident? That would support the Targeted folks.

Stubbornly on the fence here. Hope we learn more one day.

Best to Missy's daughters & their futures, Laughing

I must not have read the first warrant. The first I remember of reporting how she died was the "puncture wounds to head and chest" .
Hey @cady, just for your reference, I am posting a link to the truck warrant that I had mentioned before. It was the first warrant sought, on the day of the murder at around 6 pm or so, and you’ll see in it the reference to “deceased from a head wound.” I am also posting a link to the second warrant, the one for the iPhone and iPad, that changed the verbiage to “puncture wounds to the head and chest.”

Dropbox - Truck Warrant.PDF - Simplify your life

Dropbox - Missy iPhone iPad.pdf - Simplify your life

I just heard an interview with John Kelly (The renowned criminal profiler) and he said something very interesting. He suggested that SP might have been angry at the church, it's leadership, what it represented to them. Has this been discussed? Has the church leadership been forthcoming or have they circled the wagons and taken the "its not a church matter" route?

Is it possible that SP might have had some interaction with the church? Did SP have a special need that was either dismissed or outright rejected? Do they do youth and family counseling there? Could the burglary/vandalism be payback for being made to feel belittled or insignificant?

Some religious institutions promise love, help and sensitivity to human problems, but when it comes to actually acting on those promises, they don't. That's a massive form of hypocrisy and rejection that might translate to revenge or retribution by anyone made a victim of it. You destroyed MY world, so I'm gonna destroy YOURS.

Last edited:
Thank you. In that case, it's possible SP was using a reflective paint or lights to obscure the back plate. They used to sell these to defeat red light cameras back in the day.

<modsnip>

This could just be noise. I with there were better resolution images. I'm surprised how they can't find the car. They have access to databases to narrow down and this was reported right away.

Removed because I didn't specify source? I took a screen capture from the official video and enhanced. Source = me

Attachments

• ph.png
    ph.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 38
I just heard an interview with John Kelly (The renowned criminal profiler) and he said something very interesting. He suggested that SP might have been angry at the church, it's leadership, what it represented to them. Has this been discussed? Has the church leadership been forthcoming or have they circled the wagons and taken the "its not a church matter" route?

Is it possible that SP might have had some interaction with the church? Did SP have a special need that was either dismissed or outright rejected? Do they do youth and family counseling there? Could the burglary/vandalism be payback for being made to feel belittled or insignificant?

Some religious institutions promise love, help and sensitivity to human problems, but when it comes to actually acting on those promises, they don't. That's a massive form of hypocrisy and rejection that might translate to revenge or retribution by anyone made a victim of it. You destroyed MY world, so I'm gonna destroy YOURS.
The church has a prison ministry outreach. Inmates of both genders can take correspondence courses through Creekside. It’s called “Set Free” and the inmate files are housed in room 17 of the church. That room was the most disturbed room of the church that morning (though nothing was taken). Police investigated whether there was any connection, but they came up with nothing.

I guess one argument against SP being angry at the church is that we don’t seem to see any anger being manifested in the footage. SP has a hammer and prybar and gun that we know of. Yet there is no gratuitous damage, only that which is necessary to gain entry to locked areas. SP could have shot up the place or put holes in walls with the hammer or scrawled hate messages. But none of that happened. So if the church was the target and the end goal wasn’t money, then what was it?

That possibility was discussed in several previous threads, but if the congregants had any suspicions, I'm pretty sure that they would have notified investigators. Apparently, nothing has developed from it, if so. Another subject of discussion albeit brief, was that SP perhaps was on a personal crusade, feeling that his/ her mission, as the epitome of "godliness", was to avenge the "evil" that they believed was taking place in the church, by such wicked people as Missy and her gladiator classes. Or just Missy, for her affairs and lifestyle. If so, they wouldn't feel any remorse for her murder, as they consider themselves to be a "righteous" purveyor of justice. Pretty sicko, but not out of the question, LOL. JMO

That possibility was discussed in several previous threads, but if the congregants had any suspicions, I'm pretty sure that they would have notified investigators. Apparently, nothing has developed from it, if so. Another subject of discussion albeit brief, was that SP perhaps was on a personal crusade, feeling that his/ her mission, as the epitome of "godliness", was to avenge the "evil" that they believed was taking place in the church, by such wicked people as Missy and her gladiator classes. Or just Missy, for her affairs and lifestyle. If so, they wouldn't feel any remorse for her murder, as they consider themselves to be a "righteous" purveyor of justice. Pretty sicko, but not out of the question, LOL. JMO
I know you said it was a brief discussion on the point of a “personal mission” and probably rightly so. That’s just way below the threshold of possibility to think that someone who considers themselves a Godly person would do something like that. One, if they’re upset that this class is taking place in the “sacredness” of a church, they aren’t going to go do the much more abominable act of attacking and killing someone in that same church. And two, this particular church is not one that even emphasizes the “sacredness” of the church building itself. Many denominations do. But at Creekside the church just looks at it as a building. Their services are in an “auditorium” and not a “sanctuary”. Fitness classes are not something that would bother them.

The church has a prison ministry outreach. Inmates of both genders can take correspondence courses through Creekside. It’s called “Set Free” and the inmate files are housed in room 17 of the church. That room was the most disturbed room of the church that morning (though nothing was taken). Police investigated whether there was any connection, but they came up with nothing.

I guess one argument against SP being angry at the church is that we don’t seem to see any anger being manifested in the footage. SP has a hammer and prybar and gun that we know of. Yet there is no gratuitous damage, only that which is necessary to gain entry to locked areas. SP could have shot up the place or put holes in walls with the hammer or scrawled hate messages. But none of that happened. So if the church was the target and the end goal wasn’t money, then what was it?

Prison ministry outreach are not uncommon in churches. Maybe an ex-inmate or inmate heard money was kept there. The files in room 17 help in getting parole maybe?

I agree it doesn't look like hate, but maybe they didn't get to complete the job. Maybe they were going to burn the place down. IMO

Yet there is no gratuitous damage, only that which is necessary to gain entry to locked areas.
The definition of gratuitous is: uncalled for; lacking good reason; unwarranted.
It seems SP's actions were gratuitous from the outset to the finish of this caper.
JMHO.

I'm concerned with the attitude taken by the church. Public statements and such. Any available? Pretty catastrophic event, having someone slaughtered inside the church.
Thank you.

Last edited:
The definition of gratuitous is: uncalled for; lacking good reason; unwarranted.
It seems SP's actions are gratuitous from the outset to the finish of this caper.
JMHO.

I'm concerned with the attitude taken by the church. Public statements and such. Any available?
The point is that SP smashes something because SP wants to gain access. So they do have a “reason” (this door is locked, so I must smash the little window so I can reach in and open the door). That is far different from vandalism (I’m going to do damage to this or to that for no reason other than I just want to tear $&@% up.)

Here is an article that is church-focused and it was from two years after the murder:

https://www.waxahachietx.com/news/20180419/2-years-later-creekside-church-congregation-prays-daily-for-answers-to-missy-bevers-murder

I know you said it was a brief discussion on the point of a “personal mission” and probably rightly so. That’s just way below the threshold of possibility to think that someone who considers themselves a Godly person would do something like that. One, if they’re upset that this class is taking place in the “sacredness” of a church, they aren’t going to go do the much more abominable act of attacking and killing someone in that same church. And two, this particular church is not one that even emphasizes the “sacredness” of the church building itself. Many denominations do. But at Creekside the church just looks at it as a building. Their services are in an “auditorium” and not a “sanctuary”. Fitness classes are not something that would bother them.

In that case, SP wouldn't be a member of that particular church. Or any church, necessarily. Self-inflated senses of "godliness" and "righteousness" in the actions of murderers or would-be murderers happen quite frequently. JMO I personally don't think that SP was concerned about the church or any church, they just wanted the opportunity to kill Missy, and leave no clues as to their identity. The early morning church venue seemed opportune. JMO

Last edited:
The point is that SP smashes something because SP wants to gain access. So they do have a “reason” (this door is locked, so I must smash the little window so I can reach in and open the door). That is far different from vandalism (I’m going to do damage to this or to that for no reason other than I just want to tear $&@% up.)
I kind of think "good reason" is staying home and giving your turtle a bath. "Lacking good reason" pretty well covers the entirety of the crime.

Interesting quote from the article: "We obviously had a camera system and felt like we had a good system."
Is it true that there were problems with some of the building's exterior cameras intermittently turning off and that it had to be remedied by someone climbing a ladder and doing a reset? If so, they knew there was a problem.
Thanks for the link. :)

I kind of think "good reason" is staying home and giving your turtle a bath. "Lacking good reason" pretty well covers the entirety of the crime.

Interesting quote from the article: "We obviously had a camera system and felt like we had a good system."
Is it true that there were problems with some of the building's exterior cameras intermittently turning off and that it had to be remedied by someone climbing a ladder and doing a reset? If so, they knew there was a problem.
Thanks for the link. :)
Of course there is no good reason to break into property that isn’t yours, nor to take someone’s life. No one disputes that. The question, though, was with whether the church itself was a target or focus of anger. To answer that, we can only observe SP’s behavior and try to infer what SP’s thought process is from that.

In my thinking, it doesn’t matter one iota what “we” think good reason is. We can draw on whatever life experience or moral compass we have all day long, but that isn’t going to accomplish much.

In getting into the mind of a criminal and trying to profile them, what matters most is what THEY are thinking. What THEIR reasoning is. Right? And so all I see is SP having little to no emotion toward the building itself. They are canvassing. Searching. Not destroying property for destroying property’s sake.

As for the cameras, yes there was one camera outside that had gone down and needed to be reset. The church was aware of it for about two weeks. They had one person handling maintenance at the time and he had not gotten around to climbing up a ladder and resetting it, unfortunately.

As for the cameras, yes there was one camera outside that had gone down and needed to be reset. The church was aware of it for about two weeks. They had one person handling maintenance at the time and he had not gotten around to climbing up a ladder and resetting it, unfortunately.
That's the problem with security systems. Once you own them, you have to be prepared to service them.
Ever see a convenience store robbery and murder where the cops ask the owner where the security cameras are and the owners quickly point them out.
"Great! Can we see the footage?"
"Well, no. Its been out of order for two weeks."
Drives the detectives crazy.

Thanks again for the church link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors