SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both shotguns and rifles are extremely unusual murder weapons. Of all firearm-related murders, rifles accounted for about 3% in 2010 according to Wikipedia.
I agree, but in the context of the surroundings, i.e., they are at a very rural hunting lodge situated on 170 something acres. It doesn't feel so odd, IMO.

BTW- Maggie has public pictures linked on her Facebook to a page called Moselle Swamp, take a look. Log into Facebook

Good discussion question. I’ve been trying to work this out as well.
I’m stymied because the two bodies were found close together…unless they were moved. Because if one was shot with the first gun…maybe Paul…would the other victim just stay there, while the killer got another gun?
Makes a good point for two shooters. I've also considered Paul might have came out of the house with a weapon (AR), he was shot multiple times using all the bullets in the shotgun. When Maggie came out to see what was going on, the AR Paul dropped was used to kill her. Just thinking out loud-

Moselle Swamp is listed a ‘local business’ I wonder if they rented it out?

All speculation on my part. Totally speculation.

A killer could have murdered victim one with shotgun, and victim two was not around. Upon departing, the killer is seen by victim two, who is going to assist victim one, and upon the killers identity being possibly made by victim two, the killer retrieves the rifle and kills victim two from a distance.

I like this theory. Thanks.

These are my thoughts as well.

I don't feel AM is going to have any involvement with the deaths, too obvious even for this powerfully connected family. Wasn't there a hearing scheduled or held a few days prior to June 7th when Maggie & Paul were killed? I read that somewhere but don't remember where, so take that as unconfirmed.

Someone may have been convinced justice would never be served and decided to take it into their own hands, JMO. Add- Paul was not a party to the civil case filed by the Beach family. So killing him would not effect the case, it only closes the criminal filing. Maggie would be killed because she could identify the shooter(s).

I saw a headline that referred to a hearing being held a few days before the deaths, but when I read the article I saw nothing in it about that hearing. I'm thinking that a hearing was actually supposed to happen a few days after the June 7 killings. This article says that a June 10 hearing in the civil case was postponed:

THURSDAY, JUNE 10
Delayed: A hearing set for the wrongful death lawsuit filed by Renee Beach on behalf of her daughter Mallory Beach, who died in the 2019 boat crash in which Paul Murdaugh was charged, was delayed because of the double homicide. Members of the Murdaugh family, not including Paul and Maggie, and Parkers 55 are defendants in the civil case. The lawsuit was first filed in Hampton County in March 2019 and is likely to go to trial.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/south-carolina/article252074163.html

JMO.

I saw a headline that referred to a hearing being held a few days before the deaths, but when I read the article I saw nothing in it about that hearing. I'm thinking that a hearing was actually supposed to happen a few days after the June 7 killings. This article says that a June 10 hearing in the civil case was postponed:

THURSDAY, JUNE 10
Delayed: A hearing set for the wrongful death lawsuit filed by Renee Beach on behalf of her daughter Mallory Beach, who died in the 2019 boat crash in which Paul Murdaugh was charged, was delayed because of the double homicide. Members of the Murdaugh family, not including Paul and Maggie, and Parkers 55 are defendants in the civil case. The lawsuit was first filed in Hampton County in March 2019 and is likely to go to trial.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/south-carolina/article252074163.html

JMO.
Thank you, I read the hearing was June 4th but now I cannot find the article. So we'll go with your snip. Although now I'm suspicious of that delay caused by the deaths o_O

On one of the timelines I saw it was posted that the mediation between the two parties had broken down and that the civil suit was likely moving towards trial. The date that was reported was a couple of days before the murders. I think it was in the Island Packet time line, if I'm not mistaken.

JMO, but I’m curious as to why Paul was not named in the civil suit brought by Renee Beach, as a party responsible for her daughter’s death.

He was driving the boat, and was over the age of 18 at the time.

Paul’s older brother was one party (of many) named in the suit.

Scratching my head at this.

I think it’s weird too. In general, everyone gets sued, then defendants are dropped through either the judicial process (judge dismisses case against them) or as plaintiff’s lawyers refine their case. I’m thinking that if Paul had originally been named, that would have been stated. Maybe it’s as simple as that Paul was known not to have assets, or perhaps that he, as an underage incapacitated person, is not considered civilly liable by law. Underage for alcohol, I mean. We’re pretty sure he had actually passed his 18th birthday?

Reposting this Mod Note as links to the source referenced continue to be posted in thread:

Mod Note:
Posts continue to be removed for citing articles in Fitsnews. Fitsnews does not fall under MSM within the TOS at WS for the following reason:

Founded in 2006, FitsNews is a news and opinion blog with the tagline “Independent, Unapologetic.” According to their contact page, they are based in South Carolina. The website lacks transparency as they do not provide an about page or properly disclose ownership.

The website was founded by Will Folks who is president of Viewpolitik, LLC, a political public relations firm. Fitsnews is also a member of the Washington Postpolitical blog network

On one of the timelines I saw it was posted that the mediation between the two parties had broken down and that the civil suit was likely moving towards trial. The date that was reported was a couple of days before the murders. I think it was in the Island Packet time line, if I'm not mistaken.

The mediation broke down/failed in October 2020.
https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article246446960.html

The latest court filings before the June 7, 2021 killings were on June 4, 2021.
" ▪ June 4, 2021: The latest court filings in the wrongful death lawsuit filed by Renee Beach. Mediation in the trial previously failed, so the suit seems likely to go to trial."
https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/article251996453.html

Adults at the party asked them not to take the boat back because of foggy and misty weather conditions.

Links to depositions below

Depositions released in Mallory Beach wrongful death lawsuit

‘Some offered to drive them. But that didn’t happen, and the group left around midnight.

According to testimony, Paul was intoxicated at the party and insisted on driving his boat back.

Murdaugh’s cousin says he knew Murdaugh was drunk before leaving the party and offered to call an Uber for the group. But he says they wanted to ride back on the boat.

Some in the group also wanted to stop for one last drink which caused an argument with others who didn't.

While at a bar in downtown Beaufort, Murdaugh got into an argument. The group then left and Murdaugh insisted on driving his boat back.

A friend and a relative testified about Paul's intoxicated and erratic behavior moments before the crash.

Murdaugh’s cousin, Anthony Cook, says he then got into an altercation with his girlfriend aboard the boat. He slapped, yelled and cursed at her.

He then stripped down to his underwear in 40 degree weather. Those who testified said it was something he did when he was drunk.

They also say, they would call him “Timmy” because he turned into a completely different person while intoxicated.

Murdaugh then got behind the wheel and pushed the boat full throttle. This ultimately lead to the deadly crash a short time later.

You can read two of the depositions by clicking here and here.

Murdaugh has pleaded not guilty.

I think it’s weird too. In general, everyone gets sued, then defendants are dropped through either the judicial process (judge dismisses case against them) or as plaintiff’s lawyers refine their case. I’m thinking that if Paul had originally been named, that would have been stated. Maybe it’s as simple as that Paul was known not to have assets, or perhaps that he, as an underage incapacitated person, is not considered civilly liable by law. Underage for alcohol, I mean. We’re pretty sure he had actually passed his 18th birthday?

BBM - The accident happened Feb 24, 2019. He was born April 14, 1999 according to the obituary. So he was almost 20 when it happened. I don't understand why he wasn't party to the lawsuit either.

Link to online records in the civil lawsuit:
https://publicindex.sccourts.org/Ha...010552108879910753697980110787411480116999048

The above online records (click on the "Actions" tab) show this:

On June 4, 2021 a notice of appearance in the lawsuit was filed by or on behalf of Daniel E. Henderson. A Daniel E Henderson is listed as an attorney at the law firm of Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth & Detrick. Attorney Profiles | Our Team | PMPED Law Firm

On June 4 , 2021 opposition papers were filed on behalf of Renee Beach, opposing Defendant Parker's Corporation's motion to amend its answer to include some kind of maritime law defense.

Well, they still had time to file…but why not with the others?

The most common civil statutes of limitations in SC are three years. You can't assume that your deadline is three years, however, and you should always consult an attorney immediately to determine the exact date of the statute of limitations for your claim.Sep 23, 2018

Civil Statutes of Limitations in South Carolina - Coastal Law

I'm not willing to rule anything out.

Usually I'm willing to go with the most obvious but I'm sensing some rather unique family dynamics going on here. <modsnip>

Given the heightened emotions⃰ that go along with the death of the family patriarch, I can see several other factors coming into play. Sitting on my hands for now to avoid a time-out.

not necessarily referencing sorrow

Last edited by a moderator:
BBM - The accident happened Feb 24, 2019. He was born April 14, 1999 according to the obituary. So he was almost 20 when it happened. I don't understand why he wasn't party to the lawsuit either.
I have no idea either? But wonder if the criminal suit where he pleaded not guilty and never admitted to driving the boat plays a part? I know the actions are separate, but if he won the criminal case and was not found to be driving, could that impact the civil? Grasping at straws here.

I have no idea either? But wonder if the criminal suit where he pleaded not guilty and never admitted to driving the boat plays a part? I know the actions are separate, but if he won the criminal case and was not found to be driving, could that impact the civil? Grasping at straws here.
I wondered if him being party to the civil suit would have held the proceedings up because of the felony BUI trial that hasn't moved forward. I am trying to remember of other cases where both were filed and how they played out. Just throwing that out like you! I guess it's a moot point now, but I am curious about their strategy.

He was out shooting at night and came home to find his wife and son had been shot…with 2 different guns.
Were Guns/shooting a big part of their lives? Seems like an odd coincidence to me but I’m not into guns.

They owned the hunting lodge they were shot at. So IMO if huniting were that important they owned a hunting lodge, that guns were a big part of that.

It's been more than 2 years since the boat crash. Is it normal for criminal charges like this to go untried in Beaufort County, SC for that long? I guess covid could have impacted things, but it's a long time.

Two years for criminal cases in SC is normal even in the best of times. State resident, and I've followed many cases here. The courts are slowwww here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993