SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely not arguing your point. But where did the oyster roast come in the number of stops that night? Just curious if it was early on in the evening.
No worries, they picked up alcohol around 5-6 pm and headed to the roast, they left the oyster roast around 11:00-Midnight depending on who's statement you believe, then went to a downtown bar on the water, got into a group argument over getting home and 911 was called sometime around 2:30-ish IIRC.

No worries, they picked up alcohol around 5-6 pm and headed to the roast, they left the oyster roast around 11:00-Midnight depending on who's statement you believe, then went to a downtown bar on the water, got into a group argument over getting home and 911 was called sometime around 2:30-ish IIRC.

So around midnight, they were allegedly drunk enough that offers were made to call an Uber or drive them home..but drinking continued for another 2 1/2 hours. Was this oyster roast on the property belonging to Murdaugh family?

Thanks for clarifying, I thought there were more bar stops. So the likelihood that at least some adults saw the condition of PM is reasonable. Not assigning blame, but as a parent it would def be something I would notice and address. Wouldn't care if it pizzed others off, better than the regret of a dead kid on my conscience.

So around midnight, they were allegedly drunk enough that offers were made to call an Uber or drive them home..but drinking continued for another 2 1/2 hours. Was this oyster roast on the property belonging to Murdaugh family?
According to the depositions, only PM and one other male went into the bar and got shots, they were gone about 20 minutes. IDK if the others continued to drink or not, but they all were wanting to go home according to their statements.

So, from say midnight, they traveled by boat from Murdaugh property, which would take a longer in foggy night conditions to bar. Stayed at the bar 20-30 minutes, floated around with the trolling motor arguing for 20-30 minutes <my guesstimate>, then took off & crashed. That timeline makes sense to me.

MOO

More speculation on my part but if PM was the target, it is possible that he was bad-mouthing Mallory Beach after the crash and someone got wind of it. Going on just what I've read about him, he might've gotten drunk and said some stuff that made some folks real angry. I would love to know if he went to Mallory's funeral or displayed any sort of sincere remorse to the Beach family.

JMO

Last edited:
According to the depositions, only PM and one other male went into the bar and got shots, they were gone about 20 minutes. IDK if the others continued to drink or not, but they all were wanting to go home according to their statements.

So, from say midnight, they traveled by boat from Murdaugh property, which would take a longer in foggy night conditions to bar. Stayed at the bar 20-30 minutes, floated around with the trolling motor arguing for 20-30 minutes <my guesstimate>, then took off & crashed. That timeline makes sense to me.

MOO
The oyster roast was on Murdaugh property.
Underage drinking
Operating a boat while intoxicated in foggy weather owned by Murdaugh.
Were the adult Murdaugh’s not at their own party?

What is BUI in South Carolina?
<snipped>

To get a conviction for a BUI, the officer must prove that the driver was under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or both so that his or her faculties to operate the boat were “materially and appreciably impaired.”

Boating Under the Influence 1st – BUI 1st is a misdemeanor, and the judge can sentence a convicted person to imprisonment of 48 hours up to 30 days or a fine or community service. The person will also lose his privilege to operate a watercraft (aka boat) for 6 months. The person will have to complete the Alcohol and Drug Safety Action Program (ADSAP) as well, which usually costs about $500. Finally, he or she will have to complete a boating safety course. If the intoxicated boater causes property damage or bodily injury that is something less than “great bodily injury” as defined below, the person’s boating privileges will be suspended for one year.

BUI 2nd – The judge can sentence the person to imprisonment of 48 hours up to one year and a fine of up to $5,000. Heavy community service could come into play in lieu of the jail sentence. The person’s boating privileges will be suspended for one year, and the person must complete ADSAP and a boating safety course.

BUI 3rd – The judge can sentence the person to imprisonment of 60 days up to 3 years and a fine of $3,500 up to $6,000. The person’s boating privileges will be suspended for 2 years, and the person must complete ADSAP and a boating safety course.

Only violations that occurred within 10 years can cause later convictions to BUI 2nd, BUI 3rd, or greater.

What is Felony BUI in South Carolina?
Great Bodily Injury – If the intoxicated boater causes great bodily injury to someone else, then the boater is guilty of a felony, and the judge will sentence the boater to up to 15 years in jail and fine the person between $5,000 and $10,000. “Great bodily injury” is defined as “bodily injury which creates substantial risk of death or which causes serious, permanent disfigurement or protracted loss or impairment of the function of any bodily member or organ.”

Death – If the intoxicated boater causes someone’s death, the jail sentence for a conviction is between 1 and 25 years, and the fine will be between $10,000 and $20,000. In either case, the person’s boating privileges will be suspended for 3 years starting after the person is released from jail.

Boating Under the Influence (BUI) in South Carolina

This is what I thought...if there's no criminal conviction for accident, the civil trial may not be successful in the lawsuit against the Murdaugh. Eliminating the certain guilty verdict may eliminate civil case verdict. The whole scenario, including the police saying there's no risk to public, & there is no reward for information leads me to believe they have their suspect. <modsnip>
Remember OJ?

The oyster roast was on Murdaugh property.
Underage drinking
Operating a boat while intoxicated in foggy weather owned by Murdaugh.
Were the adult Murdaugh’s not at their own party?

I think the oyster roast was actually hosted by another family that may have been given permission to use the M property. I will see if they are referenced in the depos.

I know upwards in this thread there were arial pics of the property. I haven't had the chance to start this from the beginning... so, this might have already been discussed. If you look at the arial pic from google maps, keeping in mind that they supposedly have 1,700 acres... there are trails on the property that lead to a handful of shooting towers. Also, there is one trail/road that seems to go through the property and all the way to Barnes Road, which is to the back of the land. Some of those trails run along the river. It might be how the killer/killers accessed the property.

I think the oyster roast was actually hosted by another family that may have been given permission to use the M property. I will see if they are referenced in the depos.

Replying to my own post... on page 43 line 7 of the young ladies depo, the detective asks if anyone was at the oyster roast other than the W's, so to me this infers they threw the party. The W's were also originally named in the civil suit, but not anymore. For what it's worth...

I personally don't think the murders are related to the boating accident. JMO

Can someone point me at the depos please ? I found the civil case in Hampton County but can't locate the depos.

From the article BBM:

The two were found dead inside their home June 7, killed by gunfire. The Colleton County Coroner ruled their deaths as homicides.

I thought they were found outside near kennels? Could be misreporting somewhere.

So, so far reports have said they were found “by the dog kennel,” “outside the residence” (per June 15 SLED report referring to 911 call), and now “inside their home.” ??

We don’t really have many actual facts.

BBM

I wonder if that is normal in that court? Like the average joe would be granted the same privileges?
I’ve actually seen it happen quite a bit (for both influential citizens and non) and agree that it’s frustrating. Take Tammy and Sidney Moorer, for example. They were allowed to MOVE to freaking Florida while awaiting their respective trials for the KIDNAPPING of Heather Elvis (of which they were ultimately found guilty and sentenced to 30 years in prison) — and that was after the solicitor provided evidence to the court that showed the Ms were planning to get the H out of Dodge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa