Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #62 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, LS has been covering the case but when the AA is released I think it will be national news and there will be many others besides LS wanting to get the "story," both in Colorado and Indiana. She may be respectful to the family, but others may not....

I didn't mean to imply that the AA was sealed merely because BM might harass his own daughters, but when the news comes out there are still ways he could try to intimidate them, even though he's been told not to.

And yes, by the end of the summer the girls may not even be in the area and harder to locate.

Imo

Whether it's national news or not...
In the age of Social Media, all bets off as to who would harass. People have put Shannan Watts parents thorough pure hell, and continue to do so, they were clearly the victims. It's been widely reported in MSM/Dr Phil show etc. and it's tragic. Like they don't have enough hell/pain in their lives??
“For the past 11 months, piled on top of pain and the grieving of this devastating loss, our family has been subject to horrible, cruel abuse, outright bullying, on a daily basis,” Rzucek told reporters outside his home in Colorado. The bullying has come in the form of threats, the creation of Facebook accounts, and a “constant stream of insults.”
“It is cruel, it is heartless,” Rzucek added, urging the public to let him and his family mourn in peace.

Shanann Watts' father says his family has been targeted online by a 'constant stream of ugly, evil insults and attacks' in the year since she was murdered

Unless the girls attend the trial, I think they will be long gone from Colorado...and should be.

In the age of Social Media, all bets off as to who would harass. People have put Shannan Watts parents thorough pure hell, and continue to do so, they were clearly the victims. It's been widely reported in MSM/Dr Phil show etc. and it's tragic. Like they don't have enough hell/pain in their lives??
“For the past 11 months, piled on top of pain and the grieving of this devastating loss, our family has been subject to horrible, cruel abuse, outright bullying, on a daily basis,” Rzucek told reporters outside his home in Colorado. The bullying has come in the form of threats, the creation of Facebook accounts, and a “constant stream of insults.”
“It is cruel, it is heartless,” Rzucek added, urging the public to let him and his family mourn in peace.

Shanann Watts' father says his family has been targeted online by a 'constant stream of ugly, evil insults and attacks' in the year since she was murdered

Unless the girls attend the trial, I think they will be long gone from Colorado...and should be.
Yes, I was going to mention FB and other SM but I wasn't sure it was allowed. People can be cruel and ruthless towards victims, family members, and even people who are "rumored" to be involved, based on no evidence or facts at all.

New this afternoon -
Scott Reisch/CrimeTalk - Says, respectfully, Judge Murphy got it wrong NOT releasing the Morphew AA. He can’t recall a single time an affidavit such as this has not been released in CO. Public has a right to public information when it can be reasonably made available. Defense hasn’t shown any evidence that releasing the AA is going to prejudice them in any way. Per Scott Reisch: “Hopefully, this will be taken up on a Writ directly to Colorado Supreme Court and get this resolved…”
Scott is always a pleasure to listen to and being an attorney in CO has great insight too. MOO. # starts @ 4:40 maybe 5 min long

Okay - so in that case, if Colorado is in the right here, then no AA's should ever be released (nor any other documents pertaining to a trial) because someone somewhere on "social media" might attack.

Being associated with a crime is indeed hell. But for every person who wants to hide everything from public view, there are those of us who strongly desire public facts and public justice - every step of the way.

Bullying goes both ways. People who have never been singled out by LE and people who have not been mentioned in social media are still bullied.

We do not give up the first and fourth Amendments because of this - we seek justice instead. Which includes public knowledge of crimes and how they were committed. Period. The Soviet Union managed to create one of the world's greatest serial killers via a strict policy of judicial silence. And it happens again and again.

New this afternoon -
Scott Reisch/CrimeTalk - Says, respectfully, Judge Murphy got it wrong NOT releasing the Morphew AA. He can’t recall a single time an affidavit such as this has not been released in CO. Public has a right to public information when it can be reasonably made available. Defense hasn’t shown any evidence that releasing the AA is going to prejudice them in any way. Per Scott Reisch: “Hopefully, this will be taken up on a Writ directly to Colorado Supreme Court and get this resolved…”
Scott is always a pleasure to listen to and being an attorney in CO has great insight too. MOO. # starts @ 4:40 maybe 5 min long
Excellent! He explains so well why the AA should be released ASAP. Let's see what that CO Supreme Court says, since it more likely than not will require their action to get this judge to follow Rule 55.1.

My hope is that the core case is strong without the potentially excluded evidence. My worry is that the prosecution is overreaching - filing a thin case instead of waiting patiently for more evidence.
RSBM
Because LE had been very patient up until the surprising arrest, I do believe they have a strong case. However, I also believe it was their intent to tighten a few more loose strings before proceeding. I’m sure they were also hoping to find SM’s remains.
I believe that they felt BM was getting ready to leave town, (perhaps the country), and so hurried their AA. Usually in a complex case, LE will keep an outline of facts and evidence in a bullet point type of list when they have developed a suspect and begin to plan out their arrest affidavit. They will refer to it and use it to fill in gaps, develop more information, and lay out evidence. In a normal course of investigation they will then use this outline to fine tune the final AA. I think that they may have used this preliminary list because time was of the essence. It probably did contain more information than they would normally submit, but they wanted to make sure there was enough there to obtain the arrest warrant before BM skipped town. MOO

Inflammatory information that could be used to harass the two daughters. I had to read that a couple of times. Thankfully the daughters are off limits for speculation.
The two things we know from msm that people (ie media) can harass them about are the signing of the legal guardianship and the gimme account.

Last edited:
RSBM
Because LE had been very patient up until the surprising arrest, I do believe they have a strong case. However, I also believe it was their intent to tighten a few more loose strings before proceeding. I’m sure they were also hoping to find SM’s remains.
I believe that they felt BM was getting ready to leave town, (perhaps the country), and so hurried their AA. Usually in a complex case, LE will keep an outline of facts and evidence in a bullet point type of list when they have developed a suspect and begin to plan out their arrest affidavit. They will refer to it and use it to fill in gaps, develop more information, and lay out evidence. In a normal course of investigation they will then use this outline to fine tune the final AA. I think that they may have used this preliminary list because time was of the essence. It probably did contain more information than they would normally submit, but they wanted to make sure there was enough there to obtain the arrest warrant before BM skipped town. MOO
So what do you think about the judge's commentary about it: inflammatory, too long, extraneous to admissible evidence?

Would you say the judge's stated concerns tell us he is giving more weight to the defense's position or not?

Was protecting teen/adult children ever an emphasis in a judge's order in withhold an AA in your experience?

BM is extorting his daughters....i.e. "if you turn on me and fail me now....you won't have a mother or a father"....Yes, thats him.
Could it be that they aren't turning on him but they were actually truthful during early questioning, so truthful that it unintentionally was "turning on him" and hence the judges stipulation about harrasing them? moo

Release of Affidavit & Soc Media Harassment?
In the age of Social Media, all bets off as to who would harass. People have put Shannan Watts parents thorough pure hell, and continue to do so,...
Shanann Watts' father says his family has been targeted online by a 'constant stream of ugly, evil insults and attacks' in the year since she was murdered....
@Murphy1950 sbm Thx for your post.
Agreeing w you about anybody and everybody being able to 'pile on' homicide victims and families (like Shanann Watts' fam) by posting in soc media.
And they can do it virtually any time --- before or after an arrest, arraignment, pre-trial hearings, guilt & sentencing phases of trial, and pending appeals and post-conviction relief. Pretty well into eternity.
In the tragic deaths of Shanann & her 2 dau's, in ^ article as I read it, her father did not address any specific point/time in the crim procedure, but that the soc media haters were hating, harassing all along. He complained about haters using soc media and wanted fed legislation to stop it.
^ Not really relevant imo to CO's new rule 55.1 re release of affidavit, being interpreted by this trial judge in current case. my2ct.

And agreeing w him, sadly, that some ppl are vile, cruel, & horrible.

Thank you, @Error505
New this afternoon -
Scott Reisch/CrimeTalk - Says, respectfully, Judge Murphy got it wrong NOT releasing the Morphew AA.... # starts @ 4:40 maybe 5 min long
bbm sbm rbm
You are the best ---
1. for bringing this to the thread,
2. summarizing a specific point in it, and
3. giving the time markers for relevant portion of vid.

Post of the day.:)

Just speculating...but it may be that since BM is the father of the two daughters...the public's considerable, and sometimes heated comments about him are being considered potential harassment of the daughters...since he is presumed to be innocent. That may be a stretch...but who knows the bounds of the harassment definition?

Okay - so in that case, if Colorado is in the right here, then no AA's should ever be released (nor any other documents pertaining to a trial) because someone somewhere on "social media" might attack.

Being associated with a crime is indeed hell. But for every person who wants to hide everything from public view, there are those of us who strongly desire public facts and public justice - every step of the way.

Bullying goes both ways. People who have never been singled out by LE and people who have not been mentioned in social media are still bullied.

We do not give up the first and fourth Amendments because of this - we seek justice instead. Which includes public knowledge of crimes and how they were committed. Period. The Soviet Union managed to create one of the world's greatest serial killers via a strict policy of judicial silence. And it happens again and again.
Best post 10! Thank you

I think soc media just goes with the territory these days. Cat is out of the bag, and nothing can be done about it. Delaying the AA only postpones the inevitable. If the judge wants it heavily redacted, I get it. Take every single name out except Barry if that makes everybody feel better. If the public has a right to the information, which is what the law states, so be it. Change the law or follow the law.

I am thinking, perhaps redact the AA so that only the infomation relevant to probable cause is listed. If the judge is worried that the AA contains information that is not relevant and/or cannot be introduced as evidence and which may prejudice a trial, then have it removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarellano5280