GUILTY IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #9 *NO JAIL*

News outlets reporting on the judgment keep referring to the place where Chloe fell as a "children's play area". For the umpteenth, time, it was NOT a children's play area! There was a splash pad for kids nearby (where Chloe and SA were playing until she decided to wander off, and he followed her) but the video footage makes it obvious that this was a cocktail lounge, with a bar, bar stools and small tables and chairs.

I've been busy on Summer's thread and haven't been getting notifications so thanks for the news!!

It turns out to be pretty much what we all agreed upon from the get go, that the family needed to show that RCCL either knew or should have known that sitting a child on a hand railing in front of a tinted open window could lead to harm or death. And that they did nothing to prevent it.

Seriously? I'm so glad the judge saw through the bs and rightly pointed out the flaws in the family's argument. The family has essentially lost any credibility with the court and I'm not sure how their lawyer is going to leap over that very tall hurdle in the appellate court.

And speaking of payroll this most likely is a contingency case meaning the law firm will have to eat all the expenses they incurred to build their case.

I wonder how the appeal will be handled financially.
It will be pretty hard financially. I am wondering if they can afford to keep going, if the attorneys representing them lose faith in winning the next one. It is a big expense to keep going.

It will be pretty hard financially. I am wondering if they can afford to keep going, if the attorneys representing them lose faith in winning the next one. It is a big expense to keep going.
Frankly, I’m of the opinion that attorneys who file flagrantly frivolous lawsuits should be penalized in a very substantial way. Doing so would reduce the amount of such lawsuits from ambulance chase attorneys.
MW disgusts me and at this point he should slink away with his tail between his legs. IMO

It will be pretty hard financially. I am wondering if they can afford to keep going, if the attorneys representing them lose faith in winning the next one. It is a big expense to keep going.[/QUOTE
Asking for more "fund me" donations? And I believe the insurance the parents had on CW has paid off handsomely.

Keep in mind that a contingency case means the parents pay nothing to the lawyer unless they receive money from RCCL so right now it’s the law firm who is saddled with paying any expenses.

The appeal process is where it gets sticky. If the original contingency contract included appeals then the parents are off the hook financially.

But if it didn’t then the parents will have to fund it. They could possibly cut a special deal for reduced costs but it still would be costly.

And yes if the parents have to pay for the appeal then we’ll likely see another go fund. Me.

Do we know how much life insurance was on Chloe?

(I hate even writing that).

Check the earliest posts. It was huge, as I recall. Might have been a combination of employment life insurance plus travel insurance. Some one on FB, a friend of mom’s, made a comment about it before it was scrubbed. …that it was a good thing to have.

Just catching up on this news.

Has the text of the judgement been posted anywhere? Or a transcript of the discovery testimony? Would be interested to read those.

I have been among the minority here who feel this tragedy was completely unintentional. I believe SA is solely responsible and RCCL has zero liability. But, being very familiar with this ship, I don’t believe the video that has been publicly available definitively establishes that SA had his head out the window. I’ve stood there and leaned on the railing in front of the window and my head was not outside. You have to really really try to get your head outside. There’s a good bit of distance between the rail and the window because the window angles out. It’s designed that way on purpose. But I do recall removing my sunglasses from the top of my head for fear that they could fall forward and out the window accidentally. Now, that being said, should any reasonable person standing in that position have realized there was no glass in front of them? Absolutely. What I do believe he may have done was to stand her little feet on the open window sill while holding her. This, if true, would completely put the lie to his claim to have not known the window was open. So, I believe the video shows that he clearly held her so that she was forward of the wood railing but not necessarily dangling out of the window. At some point he lost his grip and she fell forward out of the opening.

I’d really like to read the discovery transcript.

Winkleman is on this video, lifeguards are now on cruise lines because this little boy drowned. The child was left unsupervised but I won’t be passing judgement on parenting.

I feel they will be using the same excuse about the windows.
Ya must protect stupid.

Mother fights to have lifeguards on cruise ships after her son nearly drowns

"There is 100 percent an element of parental responsibility involved in this," Winkleman said, adding there are several factors involved on board cruise ships. "But let me tell you, when you're on a cruise ship, your guard is let down. You're on vacation."

True. Time to relax a bit. Ahhhhh. But when I would take my (then) young son with me to our neighborhood pool, even though we had two good lifeguards on duty, you bet your sweet bippy I still watched him closely. And then he grew up to be a lifeguard at the same pool!
You can still relax and keep an eye out for safety.

True. Time to relax a bit. Ahhhhh. But when I would take my (then) young son with me to our neighborhood pool, even though we had two good lifeguards on duty, you bet your sweet bippy I still watched him closely. And then he grew up to be a lifeguard at the same pool!
You can still relax and keep an eye out for safety.

I agree with you borndem.

Winkleman said "But let me tell you, when you're on a cruise ship, your guard is let down. You're on vacation."

I say if you want to let your guard down then don’t take your kids.

I agree with you borndem.

Winkleman said "But let me tell you, when you're on a cruise ship, your guard is let down. You're on vacation."

I say if you want to let your guard down then don’t take your kids.

Exactly right. Leave your kids home with Grandma if you want to let your guard down on the cruise. If they are with you, they are your responsibility.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann
Back