CA - Pastor Noah Shepherd shot, wife not charged, San Diego, July 2021

airportwoman

Reaction score
She claimed he was an intruder, despite shooting him 7 times. She has been released on bail.

Wife Who Told Dispatchers She Fatally Shot Pastor Husband on Accident Released From Jail

Here is a story from when it happened.

Pastor's wife released from jail after shooting husband in fatal accident

Regardless of the motive, there are two small children involved.
How in the world do you shoot someone 7 times accidently? Didn't she realize it was him during the shooting? Automatic weapon? I'm worried really worried about the small children at home with her and hope ALL weapons have been removed from the home.

“We are not filing charges at this time,” stated District Attorney’s Office spokesperson Tanya Sierra, as reported by the Union-Tribune. “The investigation is ongoing and we will review the case as we get more information.”

I am guessing there will be more to this story, released as the investigation continues.

How do you accidentally shoot someone 7 times?

I don’t understand the skepticism about the wife’s story based on her claim that she thought her husband was an intruder and shot him 7 times. She didn’t say she accidentally discharged the gun 7 times. The “accident” was that she misidentified her husband as an intruder. Certainly if I believed there was a menacing intruder in the house, I’d keep shooting until he stopped moving.

I wonder if he called out at all as he tried to get in the door. It seems like it would be natural to call out “Hey, it’s me, the door is locked”, before trying to break in, especially knowing that his family was inside.

Maybe she was in the shower or giving one of the kids a bath with the water running, vacuuming or blow-drying her hair. If that’s the case all she would’ve heard was the banging.

MOO

Trying to Break in?
I wonder if he called out at all as he tried to get in the door. It seems like it would be natural to call out “Hey, it’s me, the door is locked”, before trying to break in, especially knowing that his family was inside....
@TGIRecovered sbm Thanks for post, promoting me to think about wording in links. If wife heard sounds that seemed to be "breaking in" sounds, well, a bit easier to understand firing gun, imo.
Maybe I missed the phrasing about husband "trying to break in."

At links, wife "said she had accidentally shot her husband as he entered their home through the back door" and Next door neighbor talked w reporter, said just before 6 pm. Monday, "said she heard loud sounds from the Shepherds' home that she thought came from a hammer.
“I said, 'Oh, I guess he’s hammering,' because there were three more shots, I guess, and then quiet, and I thought, 'Oh, I guess he fixed whatever he was hammering,'
" Wilson said." bbm

Regardless, sad, sad, sad.

Body Location?
“We are not filing charges at this time,” ....“The investigation is ongoing.... ” I am guessing there will be more to this story, released as the investigation continues....
@IceIce9 bbm sbm Thanks for your post. Agreeing, there's more.

"He was located by deputies in the backyard, according to Lt. Tom Seiver of the San Diego County Sheriff's homicide unit." * bbm

So, how far away from the backdoor he was trying to enter?
Conceivably he might have been shot thru the door (screen door, or 'real' door or both?), then stumbled away, so body's location was described as in the backyard.

Last edited:
Body Location?
@IceIce9 bbm sbm Thanks for your post. Agreeing, there's more to story.

"He was located by deputies in the backyard, according to Lt. Tom Seiver of the San Diego County Sheriff's homicide unit." * bbm

So, how far away from the backdoor he was trying to enter?
Conceivably he might have been shot thru the door (screen door, or 'real' door or both?), then stumbled away, so body's location was described as in the backyard.

Gun? Light?
This is interesting. I always find it so hard to wrap my head around someone shooting a person that they don't have a clear view of.
@LaborDayRN bbm Agree, me too. Or for that matter ---
hard to wrap my head around someone shooting at anything that they don't have a clear view of.

If shooting happened about 6 p.m. this month, then seems it was daylight, so person inside home could have looked out window? Seen thru screen door, panaview glass, peep-hole? my2ct.

And has anyone seen/heard LE identifying gun, caliber, etc?

Members of a regional church community are mourning after news that a 29-year-old pastor had allegedly been shot to death by his wife in Lemon Grove early on Monday evening.

Noah and Gabriella "Gabby" Shepherd and their two small children were residents on a street of single-family homes in the 2500 block of Camino de las Palmas until gunfire rang out shortly before 6 p.m.

Deputies Say Lemon Grove Mom of 2 Small Children Murdered Pastor Husband

Sad that shooting to kill was the first solution to trying to ward off a potential intruder and that this took precedence over trying to get out the front door, or calling the police, or shooting a warning shot into the floor, or shouting, or anything else that might either set an intruder on his heels or provide clarity to the fact that this was not an intruder.

Trying to Break in?
@TGIRecovered sbm Thanks for post, promoting me to think about wording in links. If wife heard sounds that seemed to be "breaking in" sounds, well, a bit easier to understand firing gun, imo.
Maybe I missed the phrasing about husband "trying to break in."

At links, wife "said she had accidentally shot her husband as he entered their home through the back door" and Next door neighbor talked w reporter, said just before 6 pm. Monday, "said she heard loud sounds from the Shepherds' home that she thought came from a hammer.
“I said, 'Oh, I guess he’s hammering,' because there were three more shots, I guess, and then quiet, and I thought, 'Oh, I guess he fixed whatever he was hammering,'
" Wilson said." bbm

Regardless, sad, sad, sad.

I need to pay closer attention! I thought I read or heard a news report that said that she thought someone was breaking in the back door. My mistake, thanks for pointing that out !

Last edited:
I need to pay closer attention! I though I read or heard a news report that said that she thought someone was breaking in the back door. My mistake, thanks for pointing that out !
I originally had the impression that he broke in the house at night. The facts present a totally different picture of the crime.

He walked into the back door, in broad daylight.

I need to pay closer attention! I thought I read or heard a news report that said that she thought someone was breaking in the back door. My mistake, thanks for pointing that out !
@TGIRecovered S'okay:), no need to apologize.
Sometimes we all misremember a phrase and sometimes totally miss a phrase, esp'ly me.

MSM reported neighbor said she thought someone was hammering, which leads readers to think about pounding on door, someone trying to break in. What neighbor heard was probably the gun fire.

Shepherd was suspected of shooting her husband in the backyard of their Lemon Grove home because she thought he was an intruder.

New details in the case came out Wednesday afternoon. The death of the 29-year-old pastor, Noah Shepherd was ruled a homicide by the Medical Examiner’s Office who says he was shot multiple times.

Police say the shooting happened Monday evening around 6 pm. Gabby Shepherd admitted to shooting her husband saying she thought he was an intruder entering through their backyard.

Neighbors say they heard two shots around 6 pm, a short pause, and then at least five more shots.
DA: No charges filed against woman suspected of shooting husband in Lemon Grove | cbs8.com

I find the "short pause" interesting.

@TGIRecovered As you know, sometimes reporters inject uncertainty. An example of a subtle misplacement of "allegedly" below, which shifts the meaning of a sentence.
Members of a regional church community are mourning after news that a 29-year-old pastor had allegedly been shot to death by his wife in Lemon Grove early on Monday evening....Deputies Say Lemon Grove Mom of 2 Small Children Murdered Pastor Husband
bbm sbm Reading ^ sentence cold (no other stories, w'out other info or background), some readers might think the pastor's cause of death was undetermined. Shot, stabbed, or ? Iirc, Med Examiner ruled on CoD & MoD, so the "allegedly" applies to wife's actions, but she's not been convicted yet.
Allegedly, she shot him.

Another case of Misplaced Modifiers Mangling Meaning? Or Just Splitting Hairs? Both?

@IceIce9 Not directing this at you, just jumping off from the quote.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann
Back