Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #96

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree completely about the mixed messages. Although, it's not really different than the message being sent here in America.

As for her safety, I hope they limit her contacts. I don't know what protocols they have for people meeting with her or the President. It might be limited to those who are vaccinated. In any case, I don't think she is necessarily more at risk there than she is here.

Honestly, I have no idea what the plan is if things do not improve. For now, it seems to be letting things deteriorate amongst the unvaccinated, while evidence mounts as to the effectiveness of the vaccines against hospitalization or death for those vaccinated who contract the virus. If that doesn't work, and we're still out of control come Labor Day, not sure what Plan B is.

Well, Florida is still leading the pack...

Florida is averaging 6,492 cases per day, a figure that has nearly doubled in one week and quadrupled in a month. By this measure, Florida tops California, with a current daily average of 4,806 cases, and Texas, with a current daily average of 4,802.

NOW, DeSantis is touting the value of the vaccines... All of a sudden, he is trying to sound so FACTual.

He argued on Wednesday that the recent spike is all part of the seasonal fluctuations in the virus, even as he urged Floridians to get vaccinated. He touted data that shows if you are vaccinated, your chance of becoming seriously ill or dying is "effectively zero."

"It's a seasonal virus and this is the seasonal pattern it follows in the Sun Belt states," DeSantis said earlier this week, before adding that he believes the cases will drop in August."

Lets all get ready for the countdown for reduced cases in August..... right when colleges and schools begin to fill back up...

Ron DeSantis stays the course on Covid as Florida cases surge - CNNPolitics

I agree completely about the mixed messages. Although, it's not really different than the message being sent here in America.

As for her safety, I hope they limit her contacts. I don't know what protocols they have for people meeting with her or the President. It might be limited to those who are vaccinated. In any case, I don't think she is necessarily more at risk there than she is here.

Honestly, I have no idea what the plan is if things do not improve. For now, it seems to be letting things deteriorate amongst the unvaccinated, while evidence mounts as to the effectiveness of the vaccines against hospitalization or death for those vaccinated who contract the virus. If that doesn't work, and we're still out of control come Labor Day, not sure what Plan B is.

I dont even see Plan A, let alone Plan B!!!!!

This is a graph of U.K. cases vs deaths during our second (January) and third (current) waves. Hope it gives some reassurance that the vaccines do work - we are now at the same numbers of cases but nowhere near the deaths:

View attachment 305601

Who has been hit hardest by the UK’s third wave of Covid-19?

I wasn't sure what the numbers 1-50 on the chart indicated, so visited the link, and the chart shows "Cases versus deaths over days 1-50 of the UK’s second and third Covid waves."

Here's an excerpt from the article (BBM):

"The UK is clearly in a better position now with regards to deaths than it was at the same point during the second wave (see graph). Though cases have risen sharply, deaths and hospitalisations have risen more slowly than last time.

This might appear reassuring, but there is a major caveat: during previous waves the number of cases was curtailed by lockdowns and restrictions. This time, restrictions are being removed. Daily new cases have risen from around 3,000 at the start of June to roughly 50,000 on “freedom day”. Vaccines may have weakened the link between cases and hospitalisations and deaths, but they have not completely broken it."

I wasn't sure what the numbers 1-50 on the chart indicated, so visited the link, and the chart shows "Cases versus deaths over days 1-50 of the UK’s second and third Covid waves."

Here's an excerpt from the article (BBM):

"The UK is clearly in a better position now with regards to deaths than it was at the same point during the second wave (see graph). Though cases have risen sharply, deaths and hospitalisations have risen more slowly than last time.

This might appear reassuring, but there is a major caveat: during previous waves the number of cases was curtailed by lockdowns and restrictions. This time, restrictions are being removed. Daily new cases have risen from around 3,000 at the start of June to roughly 50,000 on “freedom day”. Vaccines may have weakened the link between cases and hospitalisations and deaths, but they have not completely broken it."
Even though hospitalizations and deaths are not rising sharply as infection cases, the next biggest threat is long-Covid that will surely follow sharply rising cases. This virus loves to seek vulnerable people and sicken them for a long period of time. No one knows how long.

We don't even have any data to support that vaccinated won't get long-Covid and the CDC tells us to ditch the masks. So irresponsible. IMO.

Oh yes. And the media are running photos of empty supermarket shelves because truck drivers are affected. So now people are panic buying again. One major fuel (i.e.gas in your lingo) depot was impacted so there was a fuel pump panic briefly too.

I know people who are calling it ping kerching. Because their workmates are getting pinged and they are being offered overtime to cover their shifts.

I had to google 'kerching' lol

I totally get where you're coming from. Here in the US, we were not prepared for the demographic challenges. So much of our food is shipped by air and truck all over the nation and "essential" workers commute long distances.

But, I think we're learning from our mistakes--both our very early ones, and the ones we continue to make because we so badly want to be out from under the masking and lockdowns.

My hope is that analysts around the world will study this pandemic very carefully and then come up with some work-arounds in the case we ever see another one (fingers crossed-we don't).

Just watching the economic and industrial changes has been fascinating. Virtually everything can be delivered--no one shakes hands anymore--commercial offices are sitting empty and workers are now remote.

Today, I was in Manhattan, KS., and I saw one of those new Segway scooters traveling along the sidewalk all by itself. I think I squealed, "What the heck?" Of course that embarrassed my son who told me I needed to educate myself better because everyone knows about those.

We live in a quickly changing world, and this pandemic will leave a deep imprint on our collective souls.

Well, I learned something today. I didn't know we had autonomous Segways until I read your post.

Why Everyone Has the Worst Summer Cold Ever

As pandemic restrictions begin to relax, common viruses that cause drippy noses, stuffy heads and other cold symptoms have roared back to taunt your immune system.

Excerpts:

"Infectious disease experts say there are a number of factors fueling this hot, sneezy summer. While pandemic lockdowns protected many people from Covid-19, our immune systems missed the daily workout of being exposed to a multitude of microbes back when we commuted on subways, spent time at the office, gathered with friends and sent children to day care and school.

Although your immune system is likely as strong as it always was, if it hasn’t been alerted to a microbial intruder in a while, it may take a bit longer to get revved up when challenged by a pathogen again, experts say. And while some viral exposures in our past have conferred lasting immunity, other illnesses may have given us only transient immunity that waned as we were isolating at home.

“Frequent exposure to various pathogens primes or jazzes up the immune system to be ready to respond to that pathogen,” said Dr. Paul Skolnik, an immunovirologist and chair of internal medicine at the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine. “If you’ve not had those exposures, your immune system may be a little slower to respond or doesn’t respond as fully, leading to greater susceptibility to some respiratory infections and sometimes longer or more protracted symptoms.”

[...]

While doctors may test young children to confirm a case of R.S.V., and many people who have cold symptoms will be tested to rule out Covid-19, most people probably won’t know the specific respiratory virus causing their symptoms, said Dr. Kathryn M. Edwards, professor of pediatrics at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

“We’re seeing each other again and sharing our viruses, and I think maybe we are all a little more susceptible to viruses we haven’t seen,” said Dr. Edwards. “To know exactly what each person has is hard to say. In adults, the symptoms by and large are the same, and you can’t tell if it’s R.S.V., rhinovirus, parainfluenza or another cold virus.”

--------

I was happy to have no colds or flu for well over a year, presumably due to staying home most of the time, wearing masks when out, and social distancing, but it appears that there could be a price to pay for that lack of exposure to common viruses.

If I come down with a "summer cold," I will probably want to get a Covid test even though I'm fully vaccinated.

I can't believe that I'm watching coverage of First Lady Jill Biden arriving in Tokyo for the Olympics! I'm a huge supporter of the First Lady but IMO this is such a bad decision. I hope she manages to stay safe, what a mess this visit could turn into if by chance she doesn't. Mixed messages reign.

The Premier of Queensland, Annastacia Palaszczuk, just flew to Tokyo to secure our bid for the 2032 Olympics.
Lots of pushback from the Aussie people about that, but she went ... and achieved her aim.

And Annastacia is expected (by the IOC) to attend the 2020 (2021) opening ceremony so as not to offend Japan. I suspect that may be what has happened with Jill Biden. The expectation for someone important from the US to attend the opening ceremony, and avoid offending Japan.

None of us boycotted the Olympics - which we all could have done. The figureheads show support for the collaboration of all countries and for the athletes.

My guess is that these figureheads will be in and out of Japan as quickly as they can politely manage.

Annastacia Palaszczuk doesn't want to 'offend anyone' with games opening ceremony snub

Last edited:
Even though hospitalizations and deaths are not rising sharply as infection cases, the next biggest threat is long-Covid that will surely follow sharply rising cases. This virus loves to seek vulnerable people and sicken them for a long period of time. No one knows how long.

We don't even have any data to support that vaccinated won't get long-Covid and the CDC tells us to ditch the masks. So irresponsible. IMO.

I went to several grocery stores and drug stores today- very few people were wearing masks---

Boston mayor says otherwise
Boston acting mayor says all Boston Public School students must wear masks in the fall
Hopefully more local school leaders follow her lead and not the Govs

nope not here. not at this time anyway. Let’s wait until it gets worse
Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker says he doesn’t plan on changing mask guidance for schools
More at link
Gov. Charlie Baker said Thursday his administration has no plans to reinstate a mask mandate for schools this fall, one day after a dozen lawmakers urged him to revive the policy in early education and elementary school settings amid the spread of the more infectious Delta variant of COVID-19.

Yikes
Huh weird how that happens though. I couldn’t even read the recent article posted about patients begging a dr for a vax as she intubates them. “It’s too late “.
Ugh.

UPDATE: Tennessee Conservative radio host Phil Valentine is now reportedly “fighting for his life” in a WILLIAMSON COUNTY hospital with COVID-19 Just last week he was mocking the vaccine and putting out a parody song making fun of it.

https://twitter.com/TheTNHoller/status/1418351744166338564

Odd to read that, I caught what I deemed a flu early July. Put me down for 5 days.
I am fully vaccinated and had a flu shot. It's been so long since I've been down for 5 days, I cannot even remember.

As pandemic restrictions begin to relax, common viruses that cause drippy noses, stuffy heads and other cold symptoms have roared back to taunt your immune system.

Excerpts:

"Infectious disease experts say there are a number of factors fueling this hot, sneezy summer. While pandemic lockdowns protected many people from Covid-19, our immune systems missed the daily workout of being exposed to a multitude of microbes back when we commuted on subways, spent time at the office, gathered with friends and sent children to day care and school.

Although your immune system is likely as strong as it always was, if it hasn’t been alerted to a microbial intruder in a while, it may take a bit longer to get revved up when challenged by a pathogen again, experts say. And while some viral exposures in our past have conferred lasting immunity, other illnesses may have given us only transient immunity that waned as we were isolating at home.

“Frequent exposure to various pathogens primes or jazzes up the immune system to be ready to respond to that pathogen,” said Dr. Paul Skolnik, an immunovirologist and chair of internal medicine at the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine. “If you’ve not had those exposures, your immune system may be a little slower to respond or doesn’t respond as fully, leading to greater susceptibility to some respiratory infections and sometimes longer or more protracted symptoms.”

[...]

While doctors may test young children to confirm a case of R.S.V., and many people who have cold symptoms will be tested to rule out Covid-19, most people probably won’t know the specific respiratory virus causing their symptoms, said Dr. Kathryn M. Edwards, professor of pediatrics at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

“We’re seeing each other again and sharing our viruses, and I think maybe we are all a little more susceptible to viruses we haven’t seen,” said Dr. Edwards. “To know exactly what each person has is hard to say. In adults, the symptoms by and large are the same, and you can’t tell if it’s R.S.V., rhinovirus, parainfluenza or another cold virus.”

--------

I was happy to have no colds or flu for well over a year, presumably due to staying home most of the time, wearing masks when out, and social distancing, but it appears that there could be a price to pay for that lack of exposure to common viruses.

If I come down with a "summer cold," I will probably want to get a Covid test even though I'm fully vaccinated.

Yikes
Huh weird how that happens though. I couldn’t even read the recent article posted about patients begging a dr for a vax as she intubates them. “It’s too late “.
Ugh.

I don't know who I find more pathetic. The guy who mocks the vaccine to the point of writing a parody song about it, literally days before begging for it. Or the guy in the article posted earlier today by LadyL, who almost died and is lucky to be alive, yet says he'd do it all over again, before ever getting the vaccine.

47-Year-Old Mother of 4 from Arizona Dies After COVID Battle: She 'Left Her Mark on So Many' — People

“Like her husband Ysmael and their 17-year-old son, Fernanda had battled a COVID-19 infection since early July, according to the outlet. While Ysmael and his son recovered, Fernanda's symptoms worsened, and she was taken to a local emergency room shortly before her death. It was there that doctors discovered she had a blood clot in her lungs.”

“Ysmael admitted the family did not receive COVID-19 vaccines, due to concerns about potential side effects. Now, he told KSAZ, he'll get one in the future.

"With what I have experienced, I don't want to go through this again," he said. "I do not."

:(

Eight-week gap seen as sweet spot for Pfizer jab antibodies

A longer gap between first and second doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid vaccine makes the body's immune system produce more infection-fighting antibodies, UK researchers have found.

The government-funded work is published in a pre-print paper not yet peer reviewed.

Experts say the findings support Britain's decision on dosing intervals.

And an eight-week gap may be the sweet spot for tackling the Delta variant of Covid now dominating the UK.

Eight-week gap seen as sweet spot for Pfizer jab antibodies

A longer gap between first and second doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid vaccine makes the body's immune system produce more infection-fighting antibodies, UK researchers have found.

The government-funded work is published in a pre-print paper not yet peer reviewed.

Experts say the findings support Britain's decision on dosing intervals.

And an eight-week gap may be the sweet spot for tackling the Delta variant of Covid now dominating the UK.
Too late now. And since one dose doesn't provide much protection against delta, waiting that long will get people (who are between doses) infected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph