Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #65 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melinda Moorman called into the local Colorado radio station Heart of the Rockies Radio to discuss the concerning texts she received from her sister.

"She definitely made implications that she had concerns about her safety and the condition of their relationship had, I think, deteriorated quite a bit over the last several years."

Missing mom told of 'safety concerns' before 'husband murdered her', sis says
LISTEN: Sister of Suzanne Morphew Talks With Heart of the Rockies Radio
=========================================================================================================
“The Friday before Mother’s Day, my sister had sent me a text message that morning. It was very lengthy. It was very powerful. It was very revealing,” Melinda said. “She had been ready to share some things close to her chest. She said she was scared.”

Barry Morphew Was 'Dominant' in Relationship With Missing Colorado Mom Suzanne Morphew, Her Sister Says
=========================================================================================================
The sister of Suzanne Morphew says while she doesn’t know anything specific regarding the circumstances of Suzanne’s disappearance, she believes financial issues caused stress in the relationship between her sister and her sister’s husband, Barry Morphew.

“I think life happens, I think pressures and stresses in life, I think financial pressure bears in on people very heavily. It creates an atmosphere of discontent and strife and sometimes living beyond your means is a very hard thing to do,” Melinda Moorman continued, “Learning to be content with what you have is a very powerful thing in this life, and it brings great peace, and I don’t think Barry and Suzanne had gotten there yet, and that’s what I think kinda happened and I can’t really say more than that.”

Suzanne Morphew's Sister Talks About Forgiveness, Justice After Barry Morphew's Murder Arrest: 'I Feel Great Sadness'

You're right, after all of the above to say "Suzanne was not in any danger - I would have taken immediate action" while speaking with Chris at the end of May- is contrary to what she said right after Barry's arrest.
Yes and considering Suzanne was murdered. Well.
Melinda didn’t know and couldn’t have known. And I’m not even sure what action she could have taken, you can’t force someone to flee.

I think you are speaking of two different things. HKP said if the spy pen evidence was favourable to BM the defense would have been making a greater effort to retrieve that evidence before now.
Whereas the defense said that the spy pen evidence was 'critical' to the case ... not that it was favourable to BM ... and they now wanted the FBI enhanced recording, among other things.

SUZANNE MORPHEW: Spy pen, surveillance video, cell phone data discussed in Barry Morphew hearing
Yes thank you @SouthAussie that is exactly my point.

About the spy pen....I have a friend who used one to prove cheating. Worked great, very easy to hear everything. I am hoping it was in the house and picked up everything and Suzanne had put it there. My friend had hers hidden under her husbands seat in his truck and she heard everything discussed in the truck. Works great! In Texas it is illegal to record conversations without the other person's consent, but with a cheating husband who cares?? BTW-They are very hard to tell they are spy pens, looks very real. I am wondering if someone told LE to look for it. Hoping it has lots of good stuff on it.

edited to add-I have not read this thread yet, but hers was audio only.

Yes and considering Suzanne was murdered. Well.
Melinda didn’t know and couldn’t have known. And I’m not even sure what action she could have taken, you can’t force someone to flee.
True. @Seattle1 had mentioned something about the differences in Melinda's earlier statements vs. the interview with Chris twenty days later. I didn't fully appreciate that until I looked back and read everything together. It means nothing, I was just clarifying for myself. Melinda would never have thought Suzanne would be killed, clearly.

True. @Seattle1 had mentioned something about the differences in Melinda's earlier statements vs. the interview with Chris twenty days later. I didn't fully appreciate that until I looked back and read everything together. It means nothing, I was just clarifying for myself. Melinda would never have thought Suzanne would be killed, clearly.
Agree and has been previously discussed she did not elaborate on what Suzanne was afraid of. It could be the obvious…that she was afraid of leaving Barry and striking out on her own. That would be a common thing a 50 year old SAHM might feel after decades of marriage. If Melinda felt Suzanne was in physical danger or the conversation tilted that way I am of the opinion Melinda would have had a different reaction. But she has also had private conversations with LE so has been able to convey her thoughts at that moment in time which is what is important in my opinion.

"When it comes to audio quality, even the best spy pens are a bit of a mixed bag. The microphone, if there is one, is going to be an afterthought. Don’t expect to use one of these to record your next jam session. That said, a decent spy pen microphone should at least be able to pick up intelligible audio. If you can’t understand what people are saying, there’s no point in even having a mic."

"Video quality is the area where spy pens have made the most advances in recent years."

Ultimate Guide to the Best Spy Pen (Mini Hidden Camera) for 2021
Something else caught my attention in this article under Data Storage and Transfer: “Some have internal flash storage, but most use Micro SD cards so you can archive your recordings if needed.”

If it was Suzanne’s spy pen, could there possibly be even MORE recordings stored on her computer?! The pen can only hold a limited amount of data so depending on when the spy pen was first put in use, Suzanne could have transferred and archived multiple other recordings to her laptop using a flash drive or micro SD card. I think you can plug certain flash drives into an iPhone too.

And some spy pens also have cameras?! Just because it wasn’t brought up at the hearing by IE doesn’t mean there isn’t also video with the recording. Maybe the video was clear but the audio quality was poor? I wish we knew what model spy pen this was! If there was something really bad going on (abuse or something illegal involving money) and Suzanne was advised or decided on her own to purchase a spy pen to gather evidence, then she might have invested in a really good quality spy pen.

If she suspected Barry of something else like having an affair then she might have bought a cheaper quality spy pen just to confirm her suspicions. But I don’t think infidelity even matters anymore when filing for divorce. Especially if they were married for 25 years the Judge is going to follow the law and divide their assets equitably and that’s it. Judges don’t have time to hash out who did what to whom in every divorce. And unfortunately a wife isn’t entitled to more because her husband is a low down & dirty cheater. Catching your spouse having an affair can be devastating but sadly it happens all the time for many reasons and the blame game can get complicated. No I think there was something much more serious & sinister going on that would matter in a divorce. Something that threatened her safety & security or possibly she wanted proof that she was not involved in something illegal Barry was doing. If he was using her money and signing her name to things without her consent then her future might have depended on proving it. And once she had proof then she was going to file for divorce. Maybe she had consulted with an attorney and was working with him to obtain evidence. Could her attorney be the crucial witness she was speaking to in the recording? Could Barry have found out somehow that she was planning to leave him so she needed to expedite her plan or perhaps Suzanne had gotten enough evidence and decided it was now time to execute her plan and the time had come to tell Barry she wanted a divorce?

Maybe that’s what she texted Melinda. Something like I haven’t told you everything that has been going on in my marriage because I didn’t want to burden you or make you worried but Barry has been _______ (fill in the blank). And I have made the decision that I want a divorce and I am going to tell him tomorrow while the girls are away and we have time alone together. She might have said she was scared of what his reaction will be. Maybe she wanted to give her sister a heads up in case she needed a place to go if Barry flipped out? Melinda said Suzanne was ready to share some things she had held close to her chest. Melinda said she texted Suzanne back that she needed to pray on it before she responded. So maybe Suzanne was asking her sister’s advise about how to tell him. Maybe she asked Melinda if she thought she should just leave and serve him with divorce papers or tell him in person? Or something like that…I’m only speculating but Melinda said Suzanne wasn’t in danger so maybe Suzanne said everything is okay here in the house right now but I know Barry has a bad temper so I’m not sure how he will react or what’s the best way to do this. For whatever reason she texted Melinda instead of calling her. It could be because Barry was home so Suzanne texted Melinda so Barry wouldn’t hear their conversation and then Barry read her text on Saturday and lost it? :(

Last edited:
I think I am coming to terms with the fact that the real Suzanne Morphew, and the real Barry Morphew...are not the same people who I have constructed in my own mind and imagination. Suzanne was likely more outgoing and self-determined than I give her credit for...and Barry is likely not as strategic and temperamental as I think he was.....One thing is for sure...point being...these two are probably alot different people in real life than I have coI have never been exposed to a case that was globally captivating as this story is. Maybe that is because Alexandria, Indiana is in my back yard.....idk.

I just don't think Barry would care much about the legality of recording another person.....after all, he votes for others....murders others....Whats the harm in a little unlawful eavesdropping? The personality type of BM and SM just seems to be a contrast....that, when I try and associate a "spy pen" to one or the other...it would always come up heads....Its Barry. He was the controller, the dominant one...the one who handled everything financial, or heavy or difficult...Barry runs the show. That is why I am having such a hard time buying into the idea that this is "Suzanne's pen". But then again....I don't personally know either one of them......

But to me it could very well belong to Suzanne. After all, Barry was the dominant person. I can see him being very abusive in private and at the same time adoring and loving in public. Who would believe they had problems in their marriage. I think Suzanne had the pen to "prove" to others and maybe the girls how mean Barry was in private. Also, as I stated above, I think LE would have to of known to look for this pen when searching. They are hard to notice just in passing. Someone tipped them to the fact it was being used. If Barry had it, I think he would have hid or destroyed it when he did his dirty deed. JMO.

I think you are speaking of two different things. HKP said if the spy pen evidence was favourable to BM the defense would have been making a greater effort to retrieve that evidence before now.
Whereas the defense said that the spy pen evidence was 'critical' to the case ... not that it was favourable to BM ... and they now wanted the FBI enhanced recording, among other things.

SUZANNE MORPHEW: Spy pen, surveillance video, cell phone data discussed in Barry Morphew hearing
Could the defense be viewing the "critical" nature of the evidence to mean that they intend to challenge its admission...and that is what is critical about it?

Something else caught my attention in this article under Data Storage and Transfer: “Some have internal flash storage, but most use Micro SD cards so you can archive your recordings if needed.”

If it was Suzanne’s spy pen, could there possibly be even MORE recordings stored on her computer?! The pen can only hold a limited amount of data so depending on when the spy pen was first put in use, Suzanne could have transferred and archived multiple other recordings to her laptop using a flash drive or micro SD card. I think you can plug certain flash drives into an iPhone too.

And some spy pens also have cameras?! Just because it wasn’t brought up at the hearing by IE doesn’t mean there isn’t also video with the recording. Maybe the video was clear but the audio quality was poor? I wish we knew what model spy pen this was! If there was something really bad going on (abuse or something illegal involving money) and Suzanne was advised or decided on her own to purchase a spy pen to gather evidence, then she might have invested in a really good quality spy pen.

If she suspected Barry of something else like having an affair then she might have bought a cheaper quality spy pen just to confirm her suspicions. But I don’t think infidelity even matters anymore when filing for divorce. Especially if they were married for 25 years the Judge is going to follow the law and divide their assets equitably and that’s it. Judges don’t have time to hash out who did what to whom in every divorce. And unfortunately a wife isn’t entitled to more because her husband is a low down & dirty cheater. Catching your spouse having an affair can be devastating but sadly it happens all the time for many reasons and the blame game can get complicated. No I think there was something much more serious & sinister going on that would matter in a divorce. Something that threatened her safety & security or possibly she wanted proof that she was not involved in something illegal Barry was doing. If he was using her money and signing her name to things without her consent then her future might have depended on proving it. And once she had proof then she was going to file for divorce. Maybe she had consulted with an attorney and was working with him to obtain evidence. Could her attorney be the crucial witness she was speaking to in the recording? Could Barry have found out somehow that she was planning to leave him so she needed to expedite her plan or perhaps Suzanne had gotten enough evidence and decided it was now time to execute her plan and the time had come to tell Barry she wanted a divorce?

Maybe that’s what she texted Melinda. Something like I haven’t told you everything that has been going on in my marriage because I didn’t want to burden you or make you worried but Barry has been _______ (fill in the blank). And I have made the decision that I want a divorce and I am going to tell him tomorrow while the girls are away and we have time alone together. She might have said she was scared of what his reaction will be. Maybe she wanted to give her sister a heads up in case she needed a place to go if Barry flipped out? Melinda said Suzanne was ready to share some things she had held close to her chest. Melinda said she texted Suzanne back that she needed to pray on it before she responded. So maybe Suzanne was asking her sister’s advise about how to tell him. Maybe she asked Melinda if she thought she should just leave and serve him with divorce papers or tell him in person? Or something like that…I’m only speculating but Melinda said Suzanne wasn’t in danger so maybe Suzanne said everything is okay here in the house right now but I know Barry has a bad temper so I’m not sure how he will react or what’s the best way to do this. For whatever reason she texted Melinda instead of calling her. It could be because Barry was home so Suzanne texted Melinda so Barry wouldn’t hear their conversation and then Barry read her text on Saturday and lost it? :(
I think Barry would have an exit strategy...(which we may have already seen)...and I don't think he would tolerate or allow Suzanne to have an exit strategy. I think that however this marriage was going to end, it would be on Barry's terms, not Suzanne's.

Could the defense be viewing the "critical" nature of the evidence to mean that they intend to challenge its admission...and that is what is critical about it?
Probably depends on what “man” is talking. It is really anyone’s guess at this point. But for some reason it caught the defense team’s attention so you can bet it alerted the prosecution and they are now listening to the enhanced version also.

Not necessarily. The recordings were said to be of a telephone conversation between SM and another individual, and also messages from this individual.

I think it's the content of the recordings that the defense is saying is of essential importance or critical to the case.

What if the defense plans to suggest that the individual conversing with SM is the party responsible for disappearing SM? The defense would definitely not be challenging evidence they plan to use as seeds for reasonable doubt that their client is responsible!

Suzanne was in fear for her life. She was concerned for her safety. MM just didn't know it was more of a state of emergency until she heard two days later that Suzanne was missing. Further, Suzanne did not possess the wherewithal to know her time was quite limited and the end was so near.

Suzanne was scared is what she told MM on Friday the eighth and, within that fear, she died before or during Sunday the 10th, according to the DA's beliefs. BM brutally killed and then manipulated Suzanne's body afterwards so she couldn't be found and properly buried.

He needs to give up the location of her remains. #JusticeForSuzanne

Probably depends on what “man” is talking. It is really anyone’s guess at this point. But for some reason it caught the defense team’s attention so you can bet it alerted the prosecution and they are now listening to the enhanced version also.

I disagree that the party conversing with SM was ever identified as a "male." This was bad reporting by Fox21.

The only party identified as "male" was the guy being interviewed by FBI and/or listening to the spy pen recording with headphones.

I disagree that the party conversing with SM was ever identified as a "male." This was bad reporting by Fox21.

The only party identified as "male" was the guy being interviewed by FBI and/or listening to the spy pen recording with headphones.
I think that man listening with headphones just has to be Barry.

These recordings just have to relate to him, and it makes sense they would play them for him during their sit down in April.

I hope he was caught completely off guard.

It's likely pivotal to the case, as in, extremely damning. I think you may be right and they'll try to challenge the FBI (or was it CBI) 'enhanced' version. I doubt it can be challenged, with today's technology. Grasping at any and all straws.
It surely would be a major boon to the defense, tho.
I'd thought that they need the enhanced version in order to refute whatever is in the recordings but you make a very good point.
I also think they could use a more experienced 'expert'.

I think that man listening with headphones just has to be Barry.

These recordings just have to relate to him, and it makes sense they would play them for him during their sit down in April.

I hope he was caught completely off guard.

Agree, most likely Barry. FWIW...probably nothing, I am under the impression that the all the April encounters were between Barry and he FBI. Now that we know of April's meetings, I am inclined to agree with the contention he was ready to hit the road when he was arrested. I think they gave themselves a year (more or less) to hopefully find Suzanne's body but had the goods on Barry early on.

Agree and has been previously discussed she did not elaborate on what Suzanne was afraid of. It could be the obvious…that she was afraid of leaving Barry and striking out on her own. That would be a common thing a 50 year old SAHM might feel after decades of marriage. If Melinda felt Suzanne was in physical danger or the conversation tilted that way I am of the opinion Melinda would have had a different reaction. But she has also had private conversations with LE so has been able to convey her thoughts at that moment in time which is what is important in my opinion.
"It could be the obvious...that she was afraid of leaving Barry and striking out on her own."
Hmm, what's obvious to me is that she felt the need to record conversations/messages which doesn't speak to a woman in fear of leaving her husband for the sake of leaving, per se. I believe she felt her life could possibly be in jeopardy.
I also believe that neither she nor her sister thought that fear was imminent but then again, Suzanne finally reached out to her sister after what might be years of silence due to embarrassment and/or having just found information where she felt the need to share whatever was going on.
IMO

Last edited:
^^bbm

No, not exactly.

Colorado is a one-party [consent] state.

It would be perfectly legal for SM to record the individual she was talking to on the telephone because SM was a party to the conversation.

However, if BM recorded SM and the other person without their consent, it would be illegal per Colorado law.

Recording conversations legally is pretty easy in Colorado. “Colorado recording law stipulates that it is a one-party consent state.

In Colorado, it is a criminal offense to use any device to record communications whether it’s wire, oral or electronic without the consent of at least one person taking part in the communication. …

When is recording conversations legal in Colorado? - Civil Rights Litigation Group

ETA: add [consent].

I'm sorry. - I was addressing the idea that some think it was Barry's pen. Used to record Suzanne. Doesn't one party to the conversation have to give consent? So if Barry was recording Suzanne and anyone else, one of them has to give consent, right?

But if Barry was recording himself and Suzanne, that would be legal. But I don't find it plausible that Barry would attempt to secretly record Suzanne, unless of course she was talking to some other man. If that other man was leaving messages for Suzanne, and neither Suzanne nor that man consented, then Barry wasn't a party to the conversation (one party has to give consent).

So...if Barry secretly recorded Suzanne talking to someone else, without the consent of either of those two parties, wouldn't it be inadmissible?

Whereas if Suzanne recorded someone who was calling her, that's admissible.

Am I getting that right?

"It could be the obvious...that she was afraid of leaving Barry and striking out on her own."
Hmm, what's obvious to me is that she felt the need to record conversations/messages which doesn't speak to a woman in fear of leaving her husband for the sake of leaving, per se. I believe she felt her life could possibly be in jeopardy.
I also believe that neither she nor her sister thought that fear was imminent but then again, Suzanne finally reached out to her sister after what might be years of silence due to embarrassment and/or having just found information where she felt the need to share whatever was going on.
IMO
I believe Suzanne’s fear was that she had some damning evidence of criminal wrongdoing by Barry regarding their finances. I believe she was fearful of being a part of it. Add that to domestic violence and BM bring a controlling person and I’m sure she shared that much with her sister. Maybe Barry knew he had to do something right away. i.e. murder.

He could have been using a live streaming pen to spy on her while he was on the job site that Saturday morning. Maybe he heard her talking to someone about leaving him. Or maybe she was on the phone booking a hotel room. Or packing. Maybe he left the job site early in a rage and confronted her. Didn’t his employee say he was flustered and left early saying he had to go take care of his wife?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo