GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, a person walking a medium to large dog doesn’t present as a soft target to a random person, not unless that dog is muzzled...IMOO. My first thought on walking a dog in park after dark would be the dog lacks the behavior skills and may be over stimulated with strangers and other dogs, hence walking the dog in park at night, all the more reason to avoid them. I know quite a few people with dog aggressive dogs that chose to walk when their chances of off the leash dogs a minimal. I am not saying that’s the case here, I know a lot of pit bulls that a big mushy hippos. It’s just my first thought when someone chooses to walk their dog alone or outside busy situations, let them have their space.
I’m wavering between known attacker/stalker or a group of random people.
All IMOO.
Lots of people walk dogs at night here. It's July in Atlanta...it's hot. Plus that area, many people work all different hours. Lots of people walk their dogs at night there, I wouldn't, but tons of people do. It's not unusual.
What is unusual is:
It can be very busy around there, even at night...no one saw anything?
She had a decent sized pit bull with her.
The dog was killed also.
She was apparently disfigured.

It's just weird. We have crime here but this one is shocking. I hope there is more with the DNA possibility from the dog fighting with the attacker.

Bless poor Katherine and brave Bowie.

Last edited:
I went to a vigil for Katie this evening. It was held at the park entrance right by where she was killed. They played a song that Katie wrote and recorded as the crowd was gathering. The words were:
You stand up for me
I’ll stand up for you
Don’t know what We're gonna do
But let’s start by telling the truth.
Deputy chief from a PD who is also a Midtown resident spoke and asked that we be patient and then if we could see what is going on behind the scenes we would know that they are working hard and there’s a lot going on. I don’t remember his exact words but they were something very close to that.

Piedmont Park was full of people. Families under tents, lots of bicycle and scooter riders, frisbee players and different kinds of music. There were black people, white people, gay people, straight people, young and old. Except for the little corner of the park where the vigil was held you would not know anything so horrible had happened just five days ago.

Thank you for going and for letting us know.

Last edited:
I am a long time Atlanta resident, live in one of the intown neighborhoods not far from Midtown and Piedmont Park. Ive read this thread with interest and appreciate all of your thoughts.
In my opinion:
1) This is not a hate crime. Midtown has been LGBTQ neighborhood for many years…. And people are chill.
2) Katie was not specifically targeted and did not know the killer. Wrong place at the wrong time.
2) FBI was called in very early (within 48 hrs) due to the heinous nature and brutality of the crime. Likely psycho/sociopathic behavior traits, murder pattern may be familiar; this person may have killed before (not necessarily in Atlanta).
3 Katie was walking near the park with Bowie but was not walking IN the park. She was somehow lured into the park entrance on 10th street. Once inside the park, she was assaulted (stun gun or pepper spray?) and Bowie reacted and protected her, attacked and bit the perp (blood gets on Bowie’s face and fur, now there’s a DNA trail). Bowie dies first and is left only a few yards inside the park, not far from the 10th street park entrance.
4) Katie was dragged further into the park, where she was stabbed multiple times and murdered (I won’t speculate any further as to the nature of any further wounds). I hope there’s some bite marks or scratches on the perp (DNA under her fingernails) and he gets a whopping infection from the dog bites. Could the large tree branch that was recovered from the scene and placed into the police crime scene vehicle today have been placed near or on top of Katie to hide her slightly before the perp left the scene?
5) This was calculated murder; killer was looking for a female victim and happened upon Katie. Perp may have carried a backpack with change of clothes… goes to the nearby park lake, quickly rinses off, changes clothes and exits the park (many ways to leave the park, not necessarily by marked exits). Divers were looking for evidence in the lake this week (possibly clothing or weapon?).
6) I think it’s likely that SOME park cameras were not working, but NOT ALL. There are probably images captured on some of the park cameras, and possibly on cameras at the high school across the street or residential cameras. Also, many major intersections in Atlanta have security cameras which may have picked up something—intersections with traffic lights on Piedmont & 10th or Monroe & 10th may have cameras, I don’t know. Park Tavern restaurant at the corner of 10th & Monroe, back of the restaurant faces the park may also have cameras). Images may show the same person entering and exiting the park wearing different clothes.
7) Midtown is awake late! Somebody must have heard or seen something. There is generally a steady traffic and pedestrian flow in the area of the park, some people would still be out at 12-1am, walking home or walking pets.
7) Katie and her partner are in a solid relationship, no “love triangle”, jealousy, infidelity plays into this heinous act. I hate to go down this path but feel it must be said… Katie’s partner is absolutely NOT a suspect.
8) This crime will be solved… my guess, relatively soon.
For local ATL residents: if you live near the park, were police helicopters with search lights over the park all of Wednesday-AM during the initial investigation? IMO, I believe APD and FBI have more evidence than we could begin to imagine. I hope I’m right. It will just take time to put it together or to uncover that one big break. With all the rain lately, ground is probably soft and hopefully footprints or handprints were left at the site.

Lastly, I’m so very sorry for Katie, Bowie, her partner and their families and friends. I know how much this has terrified Midtown, I can’t even begin to imagine what they are going through. Heartfelt condolences and hugs.

Last edited:
I am a long time Atlanta resident, live in one of the intown neighborhoods not far from Midtown and Piedmont Park. Ive read this thread with interest and appreciate all of your thoughts.
In my opinion:
1) This is not a hate crime.
2) Katie was not specifically targeted and did not know the killer. Wrong place at the wrong time.
2) FBI was called in very early (within 48 hrs) due to the heinous nature and brutality of the crime. Likely psycho/sociopathic behavior traits, murder pattern may be familiar; this person may have killed before (not necessarily in Atlanta).
3 Katie was walking near the park with Bowie but was not walking IN the park. She was somehow lured into the park entrance on 10th street. Once inside the park, she was assaulted (stun gun or pepper spray?) and Bowie reacted and protected her, attacked and bit the perp (blood gets on Bowie’s face and fur, now there’s a DNA trail). Bowie dies first and is left only a few yards from 10th street.
4) Katie was dragged further into the park, where she was stabbed multiple times and murdered (I won’t speculate any further as to the nature of any further wounds). I hope there’s some bite marks or scratches on the perp (DNA under her fingernails) and he gets a whopping infection from the dog bites. Could the large tree branch that was recovered from the scene and placed into the police crime vehicle today have been placed near or on top of Katie to hide her before the perp left the scene?
5) This was calculated murder; killer was looking for a female victim and happened upon Katie. Perp may have carried a backpack with change of clothes… goes to the nearby park lake, quickly rinses off, changes clothes and exits the park (many ways to leave the park, not necessarily by marked exits). Divers were looking for evidence in the lake this week (possibly clothing or weapon?).
6) I think it’s likely that SOME park cameras were not working, but NOT ALL. There are probably images captured on some of the park cameras, and possibly on cameras at the high school across the street or residential cameras. Also, many major intersections in Atlanta have security cameras which may have picked up something—intersections with traffic lights on Piedmont & 10th or Monroe & 10th may have cameras, I don’t know. Park Tavern restaurant at the corner of 10th & Monroe, back of the restaurant faces the park may also have cameras). Images may show the same person entering and exiting the park wearing different clothes.
7) Midtown is awake late! Somebody must have heard for seen something. There is generally a steady traffic and pedestrian flow in the area of the park, some people would still be out at 12-1am, walking home or walking pets.
7) Katie and her partner are in a solid relationship, no “love triangle”, jealousy, infidelity plays into this heinous act. I hate to go down this path but it must be said… Katie’s partner is absolutely NOT a suspect.
For local ATL residents: if you live near the park, were police helicopters with search lights over the park all of Wednesday-AM during the initial investigation? IMO, I believe APD and FBI have more evidence than we could begin to imagine. It will just take time to put it together or to uncover that one big break. With all the rain lately, ground is probably soft and hopefully footprints or handprints were left at the site.

Lastly, I’m so very sorry for Katie, Bowie, her partner and their families. I know how much this has terrified Midtown, I can’t even begin to imagine what they are going through. Heartfelt condolences and hugs.
Lovely post, thank you.

In my opinion:
1) This is not a hate crime. Midtown has been LGBTQ neighborhood for many years…. And people are chill.
3 Katie was walking near the park with Bowie but was not walking IN the park. She was somehow lured into the park entrance on 10th street. Once inside the park, she was assaulted (stun gun or pepper spray?) and Bowie reacted and protected her, attacked and bit the perp (blood gets on Bowie’s face and fur, now there’s a DNA trail). Bowie dies first and is left only a few yards inside the park, not far from the 10th street park entrance.
4) Katie was dragged further into the park, where she was stabbed multiple times and murdered (I won’t speculate any further as to the nature of any further wounds). I hope there’s some bite marks or scratches on the perp (DNA under her fingernails) and he gets a whopping infection from the dog bites. Could the large tree branch that was recovered from the scene and placed into the police crime scene vehicle today have been placed near or on top of Katie to hide her slightly before the perp left the scene?
7) Midtown is awake late! Somebody must have heard or seen something. There is generally a steady traffic and pedestrian flow in the area of the park, some people would still be out at 12-1am, walking home or walking pets.
7) Katie and her partner are in a solid relationship, no “love triangle”, jealousy, infidelity plays into this heinous act. I hate to go down this path but feel it must be said… Katie’s partner is absolutely NOT a suspect.
For local ATL residents: if you live near the park, were police helicopters with search lights over the park all of Wednesday-AM during the initial investigation? IMO, I believe APD and FBI have more evidence than we could begin to imagine. I hope I’m right. It will just take time to put it together or to uncover that one big break. With all the rain lately, ground is probably soft and hopefully footprints or handprints were left at the site.

Lastly, I’m so very sorry for Katie, Bowie, her partner and their families and friends. I know how much this has terrified Midtown, I can’t even begin to imagine what they are going through. Heartfelt condolences and hugs.

Thank you for this post! Those are all largely my opinions as well. As an Atlanta native, this whole thing just feels off. I also found it compelling that the FBI became involved so quickly.

Also posted this link on Tori Lang's thread..
Aug 2 2021
Police say viral social media post alleging Atlanta has a serial killer is false
''ATLANTA — A social media post that has been shared thousands of times is doing nothing more than inciting false fear, according to police.

The post claims there is a serial killer loose on the streets of Atlanta attacking and mutilating women.

“I seen the social media post,” resident Tometrick Hemmingway told Channel 2 Investigative Reporter Ashli Lincoln. “It’s very disturbing, shocking, devastating to hear about something like this happening in a park.”

The post claims this alleged serial killer is responsible for the murder of Katie Janness and her dog Bowie at Piedmont Park last week.

It then goes on to say that the killing of 18-year-old Tori Lang is somehow connected. She was found shot to death last week at Yellow River Park in Gwinnett County.

The post also claims there was a third killing in Norcross, but police say that’s not true.''

The mutilation aspect makes me think it's a hate crime against the LGBT community. Perhaps someone who knew her from her workplace -- someone who had seen her on multiple occasions in her restaurant, held a growing hatred for her, and may have stalked her before, thereby knowing when/where she usually walked her dog.

How could the killer have gotten away unscathed? I'd think that he/she would have some injuries/wounds from the pitbull. I can't imagine the pitbull went down without a fight. Seems like it would be hard to stab a pitbull to death without getting hurt in some capacity. But maybe the killer came prepared and was wearing protective clothing? I wonder how many blood types they found at the scene of the crime. Just 2, or 3??

If it was random and not premeditated, I doubt the mutilation would have occurred, but anything's possible these days. People are getting more and more unhinged, brazen and violent. So much hatred permeating the country. It's highly disturbing.

Are you able to reference the “mutilation aspect”?
I’m trying to verify if this is factual…. I’m not doubting you; I also read this very early on but don’t remember the source and have not seen it documented in any recent reports. IMO, it may be something investigators are keeping close to the vest.
According to Fox 5 news, “Officials with the Atlanta Police Department department told Fox 5’s Marc Teichner that the stabbing was an especially brutal crime. A veteran officer from the APD told Fox5 the stabbing was unlike anything he had seen before and that the victim had been stabbed multiple times.”

Last edited:
I think it is unlikely that a serial killer would murder one victim with a knife, going as far as to mutilate the victim/body and kill the other victim with a gun. One method is very personal, up close, intense and takes time. The other method is quick, anonymous and doesn't get your hands dirty.

In my opinion:

Having been in and around this area at different times over the years, ITA with everything in your post.

#Justice4Katie&Bowie

I think it is unlikely that a serial killer would murder one victim with a knife, going as far as to mutilate the victim/body and kill the other victim with a gun. One method is very personal, up close, intense and takes time. The other method is quick, anonymous and doesn't get your hands dirty.

I totally agree. I don’t think the two are connected. Also, any reference to serial killer” is rumor.

Are you able to reference the “mutilation aspect”?
I’m trying to verify if this is factual…. I’m not doubting you; I also read this very early on but don’t remember the source and have not seen it documented in any recent reports. IMO, it may be something investigators are keeping close to the vest.
According to Fox 5 news, “Officials with the Atlanta Police Department department told Fox 5’s Marc Teichner that the stabbing was an especially brutal crime. A veteran officer from the APD told Fox5 the stabbing was unlike anything he had seen before and that the victim had been stabbed multiple times.”

The earliest news articles referenced her body being "disfigured."

ETA: WSB-TV REPORTS: Woman, dog found stabbed to death in Piedmont Park

And this one talks about "mutilation":

Police search for evidence in brutal stabbing at Piedmont Park

Police say Katherine Janness, 40, was stabbed several times, and mutilated, inside Piedmont Park late Tuesday night.

Interesting:

Three knife murders and one knife attack which the victim survived, in Little Rock, AR (7.5-hour drive to Atlanta) between August, 2020 and April, 2021, which police believe are all connected. The attacks occurred in a downtown area between 1-4 am, by a male suspect over 6 ft. tall. He has not been identified or apprehended, based on my understanding of this article

A 43-year-old woman survived being stabbed 15(!) times, and the murdered victims are a 40-year-old man, a 60-year-old man, and a 64-year-old man.

Little Rock police seek to ID suspect in 3 stabbing deaths; man armed, dangerous, officials warn

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on potential similarities and dissimilarities between these crimes and Katie's (and Bowie's) murder. Could there be a connection?

Interesting:

Three knife murders and one knife attack which the victim survived, in Little Rock, AR (7.5-hour drive to Atlanta) between August, 2020 and April, 2021, which police believe are all connected. The attacks occurred in a downtown area between 1-4 am, by a male suspect over 6 ft. tall. He has not been identified or apprehended, based on my understanding of this article

A 43-year-old woman survived being stabbed 15(!) times, and the murdered victims are a 40-year-old man, a 60-year-old man, and a 64-year-old man.

Little Rock police seek to ID suspect in 3 stabbing deaths; man armed, dangerous, officials warn

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on potential similarities and dissimilarities between these crimes and Katie's (and Bowie's) murder. Could there be a connection?
Well that is frightening! I don't know that there is anything to link the Janness murder to this killer, but who knows.

Interesting:

I would like to look into The Little Rock murders. <modsnip> Do you know if the killer was injured in any of the attacks or what kind of weapon was used?

I would like to look into The Little Rock murders. <modsnip> Do you know if the killer was injured in any of the attacks or what kind of weapon was used?
There have been very few details in the surprisingly few articles I've found. Weapon being reported as a knife with no further specifics. I'll try to do some more research after work today, and if any other websleuths want to pitch in (esp Little Rock locals!) that would be awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kelc3769