Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #65 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today’s order mentions that Suzanne’s siblings and children will be permitted to watch via a livestream. It goes on to say that her siblings are out of town. I’m curious why the daughters would not be presumed to join in the courtroom, given they live locally?

Another reporter we’re all going to want to follow.

I will be at this hearing coming up next Monday. We'll likely find out some of the details behind what happened to #SuzanneMorphew. We are allowed to live-tweet, but we will not be allowed to record the hearing. @KKTV11News
https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1423090029887311872?s=21

Ashley did an incredible job in the Berreth case — with class and empathy, IMO. I agree.

Today’s order mentions that Suzanne’s siblings and children will be permitted to watch via a livestream. It goes on to say that her siblings are out of town. I’m curious why the daughters would not be presumed to join in the courtroom, given they live locally?
Maybe they don’t want to? Or aren’t in Salida anymore?

Maybe they don’t want to? Or aren’t in Salida anymore?

Could be. I thought it was odd that the order mentioned that the livestream would be made available to Suzanne’s siblings, and gave the reason as they were out of town. The daughters may not want to attend due to media attention. Else, I would think they’d be there to support their father, as they did at the first hearing. Unless their support has waivered (which I think is unlikely.)

^^bbm

Given that the daughters have not once used any form of media to support the investigation to find their mother, support their mother's family, or support their father, I think it's reasonable to assume they do not want any exposure from a public trial either.

We already know they are able to talk/visit, support their dad in private so I'm glad they have an option to stay home and watch the proceedings in private if they wish to watch at all.

I really don't know what good could come from their attending the proceedings in person -- especially if being called as witnesses. MOO

EBM, BBM.

I'm not an expert, but the Colorado rules seem to leave the timeline for disclosure of defenses and witnesses to the judge, subject to certain limits (see edited rule below). Nerds may want to bookmark Rule 16. It will answer many, many questions about the court process.

Colorado Rule of Criminal Procedure 16: (EBM)

Part II. Disclosure to Prosecution

(c) Nature of Defense.

Subject to constitutional limitations, the defense shall disclose to the prosecution the nature of any defense, other than alibi, which the defense intends to use at trial. The defense shall also disclose the names and addresses of persons whom the defense intends to call as witnesses at trial. At the entry of the not guilty plea, the court shall set a deadline for such disclosure. In no case shall such disclosure be less than 35 days before trial for a felony trial, or 7 days before trial for a non-felony trial, except for good cause shown. Upon receipt of the information required by this subsection (c), the prosecuting attorney shall notify the defense of any additional witnesses which the prosecution intends to call to rebut such defense within a reasonable time after their identity becomes known.

(d) Notice of Alibi.

The defense, if it intends to introduce evidence that the defendant was at a place other than the location of the offense, shall serve upon the prosecuting attorney as soon as practicable but not later than 35 days before trial a statement in writing specifying the place where he or she claims to have been and the names and addresses of the witnesses he or she will call to support the defense of alibi. Upon receiving this statement, the prosecuting attorney shall advise the defense of the names and addresses of any additional witnesses who may be called to refute such alibi as soon as practicable after their names become known. Neither the prosecuting attorney nor the defense shall be permitted at the trial to introduce evidence inconsistent with the specification, unless the court for good cause and upon just terms permits the specification to be amended. If the defense fails to make the specification required by this section, the court shall exclude evidence in his behalf that he or she was at a place other than that specified by the prosecuting attorney unless the court is satisfied upon good cause shown that such evidence should be admitted.
I want to thank you for all your knowledgeable contributions to the thread. I learn a lot from your posts and greatly appreciate them, as I'm sure other posters do also. :)

Here in the Midwest, I've never heard of viewing/attending a court hearing by meeting at the county fairgrounds? What, is there a community/meeting hall at the fairgrounds that's used for this type of thing? Is something like this common? Just how does this work? Is it broadcast on a big screen TV or something? Maybe I'm missing something here? I'd greatly appreciate some feedback regarding this. TIA

Here in the Midwest, I've never heard of viewing/attending a court hearing by meeting at the county fairgrounds? What, is there a community/meeting hall at the fairgrounds that's used for this type of thing? Is something like this common? Just how does this work? Is it broadcast on a big screen TV or something? Maybe I'm missing something here? I'd greatly appreciate some feedback regarding this. TIA
These are strange times with Covid, and this will allow for more people to attend.

So I imagine there will be a computer there that is signed into the WebEx broadcast, and it will be displayed on a large screen.

We’ll obviously have a better idea of what avenues are available for the defense, following the preliminary hearing.

I think it’s likely to be a bit of a mud throwing mix, with multiple alternative suspects and the defense alluding to Suzanne taking off.
Let's not forget the abductors/kidnappers, that elusive mountain lion and THE BIKE.

I think it is possible that someone else saw or heard something. And that is why the police locked the house up so quickly. They may have a witness to something untoward. Dumping the bike, loading Suzanne into the truck (or a deceased Suzanne 'sitting' in the passenger seat), dumping the unidentified article that was found, for example.

I remember in the Karen Ristevski case, it was absolutely ages before we learned that a neighbour had heard sounds of fighting on the morning that Karen disappeared. And then it was only a brief mention by a crime reporter in one MSM source IIRC.

I think the police tend to protect innocent bystanders who may have given them crucial information.

Last edited:
I might literally die if we find out the bike was inoperable, and Barry kept pushing the “bike ride” in the media after he “learned” of that fact.
Haha, I know, right? I bet the defense got wind of the bike-guy and figured it all out so I highly doubt they'll bring it up but I REALLY want the prosecutors to. They may not even feel the need to with so much overwhelming evidence but Marcia Clark and Darden thought they had it in the bag too.

Not only did the sheriff get on this right away, but he wasted little time calling in the big guns.

They also immediately sealed off the house, which was a remarkable bit of foresight.

Every law enforcement agency is aware of stranger abductions, none more than the FBI. Their handling of this says that not only did they know that an abduction did not occur, but this was a homicide.

We knew they knew this within the first week, and it became clear shortly thereafter that Barry was the prime suspect (search warrants on house and job site).

We’re mere days away from knowing the answers to many of our questions, and the answers to questions we haven’t even thought of.

I can’t wait.
I can't wait either. Have they changed the next hearing date yet or is it still on schedule?

In April, when the FBI confronted BM with the fact that it was illegal to submit a ballot for his missing wife, BM said, "I didn't know you couldn't do that for your spouse."

I've been ruminating on that comment ever since. Reluctantly, I came to believe the comment reflects a value system that may be culturally supported in America, even in the time of #MeToo. MOO, it makes it easier to believe BM felt he was entitled to take SM's life because she was planning to leave him.

Across cultures, "uxorixide" (wife- or girlfriend-murder) long has been culturally supported and remains so in culturally conservative countries.

Vestiges of cultural support for the treatment of women as the property of their husbands can be found in the history of the English common law of "coverture", under which a married woman was considered to have merged with her husband and was subject to his protection and control - to the extent she had no legal right to act independently. It hasn't been that long since the practice was largely abolished in English-speaking countries. California finally abolished it by common law in 1954 (Follansbee v Benzenburg).

In fact, there are common law cases holding that a husband's marital rights included the right to beat his wife, including an American case that post-dates the Civil War.

"Wife beating is acknowledged in Blackstone's 'Commentaries,' and many court rulings sanctioned the practice.

(Perhaps) the earliest... (legal) reference to wife beating is the 17th century, when one Dr. Marmaduke Coghill, an Irish judge, held that a man who had beaten his wife "with such a switch as the one he held in his hand" was within his matrimonial privilege.

In the 18th century a judge named Francis Buller, dubbed "Judge Thumb" by the famous caricaturist James Gillray, was said to have allowed that a man could beat his wife, as long as the punitive stick was no thicker than his thumb. (A witty countess was said to have asked the judge to measure her husband's thumb exactly, so that she might know the precise extent of his privilege.)

..."Three 19th-century cases in America... mention the "rule of thumb," including an 1868 ruling in North Carolina that 'the defendant had a right to whip his wife with a switch no larger than his thumb.'" Misunderstood "Rule of Thumb"...

Back to the present day, we have seen the growth online of a terrorist "male supremacist ecosystem" that includes "incels" - a radicalized subculture of advocates for harassment of - and violence against - women. These men commonly feel entitled to sex and believe women have too much power.

In this context, I have been speculating (MOO) that BM had a sense of sexual entitlement, and a kind of "married male privilege" to act on his wife's behalf, that is supported by some influential elements of our current culture.

This male dominance entitlement is shared by untold numbers, especially in the bible belt.

Additional seating for Barry Morphew hearings allowed by Chaffee County Court | FOX21 News Colorado

"In anticipation of a large crowd at Barry Morphew’s upcoming high-profile court hearings, Chaffee County Court has agreed to live-stream the event at the Chaffee County Fairgrounds next week."

*A literal circus. o_O
I think I read that those attending in the courtroom aren't allow to stream but can tweet? If I didn't get that right, please correct me.
At the Fairgrounds, what's to keep someone from live streaming it (or recording it) on their phone to youtube, fb or whatever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2