GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it was a targeted attack, then it seems likely to me that it was not someone who only had a vague idea that Katie sometimes walked around that time and might possibly take that route. What I understand from Emma in interviews is that Katie didn't have one particular path that she always took, so the idea that someone would just be lying in wait on the off chance that she might happen by seems unlikely to me. (And as someone else here pointed out, if targeted, why not choose a time when the dog wasn't with her?) It seems like there are very few people who would have known definitively that Katie was going for a walk at that time, but I did consider that there could have been customers or some of Emma's coworkers who saw Katie come by Henry's that night and overheard them discussing her going for a walk. If the people who might have known that Katie was definitely heading out for a walk at that time have been eliminated, it seems more reasonable to assume that the killer was a stranger.

But didn’t one of the sources quoted earlier in this thread say that Emma, upon first seeing Bowie’s body, thought that he might’ve been hit hy a car? There was some reference to cars speeding through (or speeding near) the park. It seems unlikely, IMO, that Emma would’ve considered this possibility (even for a moment) if she believed that KJ always, without exception, kept Bowie on the leash. I don’t *think* leashed dogs are frequently the victims of vehicular homicide, but admit—as a non-dog-owning person—that I could be wrong.
I think that being hit by a car is one of the first things most people would think when finding their dog like that not far from a busy road even if they always kept him on leash. A car or gunshot.

There is probably a better Source for the video released where you don’t have to watch the entire news clip but this is the first one I found.

Sometimes people with lower extremity weakness or injury (requiring use of canes, walkers, etc) have upper body/arm muscle strength (and appearance) in compensation. Which is what we may be seeing with him. And, while I don't think the man is relying heavily on the cane, I also don't think the red thing is a blood stain... but that's jmo.

I can't remember the times these possible witnesses were seen on camera... anyone else? And, are the cameras accurate (in sync with each other) regarding the time?

Do we know if any others seen in these videos/stills have spoken to police other than the jogger? Would they come forward even if they saw/heard nothing? Would LE tell us if they did?

But didn’t one of the sources quoted earlier in this thread say that Emma, upon first seeing Bowie’s body, thought that he might’ve been hit hy a car? There was some reference to cars speeding through (or speeding near) the park. It seems unlikely, IMO, that Emma would’ve considered this possibility (even for a moment) if she believed that KJ always, without exception, kept Bowie on the leash. I don’t *think* leashed dogs are frequently the victims of vehicular homicide, but admit—as a non-dog-owning person—that I could be wrong.
Did you see the photo of Katie in bed with her arm around Bowie, him snuggled up to her neck? This also makes me think she would not let him off leash. I would not want to snuggle up with a dog that had recently possibly been eating at the park.

In addition to the timing issue the more I think about the white tank guy the more I think, wouldn’t he have taken off that shirt? Plenty of shirtless men around there, it might have been something notable since he’s not in running shorts but not nearly as noticeable as a large bloody blob on a white shirt, right?

Sometimes people with lower extremity weakness or injury (requiring use of canes, walkers, etc) have upper body/arm muscle strength (and appearance) in compensation. Which is what we may be seeing with him. And, while I don't think the man is relying heavily on the cane, I also don't think the red thing is a blood stain... but that's jmo.

I can't remember the times these possible witnesses were seen on camera... anyone else? And, are the cameras accurate (in sync with each other) regarding the time?

Do we know if any others seen in these videos/stills have spoken to police other than the jogger? Would they come forward even if they saw/heard nothing? Would LE tell us if they did?
No idea if the cameras are in sync or the time is correct. Good question.
Iirc the time on the cane person’s photo was 12:25am.

I think it's the brazen brutality/heinous actions of this killer that strikes fear in most of us. Who is lurking... where are we safe?? Everyone should feel safe in a park that is so beautiful and offers so much. I feel so sad... as none of us should live in fear. Before this happened, I assume locals consider this park safe (even though "officially" closed for the evening) and felt familiar with their surroundings. I hope more lighting is added to the park and cameras are installed to help protect everyone. And, most of all... I hope LE catches this psycho killer yesterday!

Rest in Peace Katie and dear friend Bowie, and heartfelt condolences to all who loved them.

I believe we now know that the jogger has spoken with police.

The newer image of the guy in the white shirt is the third image that has been released. Timestamps are 12:25:05, 12:25:07, and 12:25:10 AM. Stride is distinctly much longer in the latest image released at 12:25:10.

The red stain has been mentioned earlier.

I've enlarged the image of this individual, carrying a cane with what seems to be a distinctive white band near the mid to lower shaft of the cane. (Sorry, for some reason I am unable to upload the enlarged images, so members will have to enlarge it themselves.)

Witness-1-.jpg

C139E-12th-Piedmont-St.-Camera-01-7_28_2021-12_25_10-AM.png

(top 2 images are reversed timewise)

I've enlarged, done colour inversion, and stared at that reddish brown blob for days now and really can't see it being anything other than blood. That is just MOO and I could be totally wrong.

Speculation here. IF it is blood, surely there aren't many people walking out of the park, bleeding. IF it is blood, it could be coming from an upper, under arm wound. I specify upper, under arm because there is nothing visible coming down the outer arm. I can visualize an under-arm wound coinciding with a dog coming straight up from underneath a raised arm. If an arm was raised in what may have been a blitz attack, with Bowie on a limiting, short lead (noted in the pic of Katie and Bowie in the crosswalk), it may have been difficult for Bowie to grab an extended hand/weapon, but coming straight up under a raised arm toward the armpit seems, IMO, very likely.

This person is only discussed as a potential witness, so hopefully he hears that LE would like to speak with him and will come forward so they can eliminate him as having any knowledge or involvement.

Any thoughts on the cane, what if it contained a weapon and was more than a cane?

I can’t imagine this guy having anything to do with it. The timing is just way off. She was at the rainbow crosswalk only a mere 15 minutes earlier and he is exiting out a totally different entrance than where she was found.
Agree.. unless the time at the rainbow crosswalk camera was wrong.

I apologize if I have missed something, and tia for any clarification.

Emma said Katie left Henry’s around 11:30. If the rainbow crossing time of 12:07 or 12:09 is correct, why did it take Katie almost 40 minutes to walk just a block? I’m sure there could be possible explanations for this, and Emma’s internal clock could have just been off by half an hour - but I think that’d be a lot for most people’s internal clocks to be off, even if distracted by work.

For reference, it’s been estimated that Emma had to have arrived home by around 12:30 in order to have had sufficient time to place the calls and texts, wait for any response, check the phone location app, drive to the park, and get out and find Bowie and Katie - all by just after 1:00. If Katie didn’t leave Henry’s until closer to 12:00, it seems that Emma would have felt like she’d just seen her. But Emma said: it had been about an hour since she’d said goodbye to Katie.

Again, I’m not saying that Emma just couldn’t have been mistaken. And I’m also not saying that Katie couldn’t have just sat on a bench outside of Henry’s for a half an hour before heading to the rainbow crossing intersection. I’m just saying that until we know what really happened, there is a discrepancy that needs to be resolved as it may impact the investigation,

If there’s a chance that the rainbow crossing camera was off (if, say, Katie was actually at that intersection closer to 11:45, having left Henry’s at 11:30, then the crime in the park could have happened as early as 12:05-12:15.

This might change our view of any “possible witnesses” seen at the Piedmont and 12th gate at 12:25 and later. It also might explain why the (first, blue) jogger may not have heard anything after briefly entering the 10th St / Charles Allen and turning around (I don’t think it’s been reported whether he did not - or did - hear anything, but I do think it’s been reported by APD that he did not witness the crime while it was taking place).

I’ve looked and looked but cannot find the source for Katie being at the rainbow crossing intersection at 12:07 or 12:09. The photos I’ve reviewed recently don’t show a time stamp in the upper left hand corner like the gate photos do (maybe this is just because the rainbow photos are enlarged?).

But just so that I can put this one to bed, does anybody out there have a link to an APD or msm statement re: the exact time of the rainbow crossing photo - or a better yet, a copy of the photo with the 12:07 /12:09 time shown? There must be one. Sorry for the distraction. Tia

Anyway, I'm not 100% sure this is a man. Someone had mentioned earlier and I tend to agree, it's a clutch or purse this person is holding under their arm. Also, I think this person is wearing glasses. And, it looks to me that he/she is wearing socks with sandals.

I did see the sock and sandals. As for physique I really only see male with the biceps and what appears to be a man's walk. I did consider they were possibly holding something under their arm, but as that is the hand/arm they are constantly moving to use the cane, I think it would be more expected they would tuck something under the other arm that was more stationery compared to the arm that was moving back and forth with the movement of the cane.

All JMO

I am confused. This is known to have occurred before :D

As the image of Katie and Bowie crossing at the Rainbow Crossing is not timestamped, even though it is the last known image of them, is it possible that image was captured as they were on their way to Henry's Midtown and not afterward?

If Katie was at Emma's work, Henry's Midtown, and left approx 11:30, Henry's is at 132 10th Street NE. I understand Katie's body was located just a bit inside the Charles Allen entrance on 10th Street, Google Maps shows that as only a 13 minute walk.

Agree.. unless the time at the rainbow crosswalk camera was wrong.

I apologize if I have missed something, and tia for any clarification.

Emma said Katie left Henry’s around 11:30. If the rainbow crossing time of 12:07 or 12:09 is correct, why did it take Katie almost 40 minutes to walk just a block? I’m sure there could be possible explanations for this, and Emma’s internal clock could have just been off by half an hour - but I think that’d be a lot for most people’s internal clocks to be off, even if distracted by work.

For reference, it’s been estimated that Emma had to have arrived home by around 12:30 in order to have had sufficient time to place the calls and texts, wait for any response, check the phone location app, drive to the park, and get out and find Bowie and Katie - all by just after 1:00. If Katie didn’t leave Henry’s until closer to 12:00, it seems that Emma would have felt like she’d just seen her. But Emma said: it had been about an hour since she’d said goodbye to Katie.

Again, I’m not saying that Emma just couldn’t have been mistaken. And I’m also not saying that Katie couldn’t have just sat on a bench outside of Henry’s for a half an hour before heading to the rainbow crossing intersection. I’m just saying that until we know what really happened, there is a discrepancy that needs to be resolved as it may impact the investigation,

If there’s a chance that the rainbow crossing camera was off (if, say, Katie was actually at that intersection closer to 11:45, having left Henry’s at 11:30, then the crime in the park could have happened as early as 12:05-12:15.

This might change our view of any “possible witnesses” seen at the Piedmont and 12th gate at 12:25 and later. It also might explain why the (first, blue) jogger may not have heard anything after briefly entering the 10th St / Charles Allen and turning around (I don’t think it’s been reported whether he did not - or did - hear anything, but I do think it’s been reported by APD that he did not witness the crime while it was taking place).

I’ve looked and looked but cannot find the source for Katie being at the rainbow crossing intersection at 12:07 or 12:09. The photos I’ve reviewed recently don’t show a time stamp in the upper left hand corner like the gate photos do (maybe this is just because the rainbow photos are enlarged?).

But just so that I can put this one to bed, does anybody out there have a link to an APD or msm statement re: the exact time of the rainbow crossing photo - or a better yet, a copy of the photo with the 12:07 /12:09 time shown? There must be one. Sorry for the distraction. Tia

Your reasoning makes sense! Anyway here’s an article suggesting that she was there at 12:07:"She was the best person ever:" Vigil held for murder victim found in Piedmont Park

I am confused. This is known to have occurred before :D

As the image of Katie and Bowie crossing at the Rainbow Crossing is not timestamped, even though it is the last known image of them, is it possible that image was captured as they were on their way to Henry's Midtown and not afterward?

If Katie was at Emma's work, Henry's Midtown, and left approx 11:30, Henry's is at 132 10th Street NE. I understand Katie's body was located just a bit inside the Charles Allen entrance on 10th Street, Google Maps shows that as only a 13 minute walk.

The police must have told the press a time frame for the photo because they’ve been printing 12:07...I linked an article elsewhere in this thread that states as much.

The one thing I noticed about the hoodie guy was that immediately upon walking thru the gate he looks left and right - as I would if watching traffic just before crossing a street - but he doesn't cross the street. So, was he looking to see if anyone was standing there? Could be nothing.

If the hoodie guy was involved wouldn't he be covered in blood and dog bites?
I think it's probable the killer did not exit into the sidewalk/street, which is full of streetlights, traffic and eyewitnesses. He most likely ran back into the park and got rid of evidence in the lake.

He probably also had help. I don't see how one person could kill a woman with a pitbull attacking him and live to tell about it.

I dont see anything to make this gang related. they would kill and move on. this killer took time.

A lot about this seems gang related. Did you see the story I quoted? Here it is again, this happened only a year ago right outside of Atlanta. A young man's gang initiation consisted of him stabbing a girl to death and throwing her body in a river.

"TEEN boy is accused of brutally murdering a 14-year-old girl on Wednesday as an initiation rite to join the MS-13 gang.

Brayan Segura, who also uses Rivas as a surname, allegedly stabbed Janina Valenzuela multiple times before tossing her lifeless body into a creek in Georgia."

Story

This could also explain why the police are not releasing any suspect names. Several people could be involved. There are several violent gangs in Atlanta and thousands of gang members in Georgia and they are responsible for much of the street violence and murders we read about every day. Seems more likely to me than some guy watching her from afar, somehow becoming obsessed with her, and then deciding to kill her, none of which makes any sense to me. Whoever killed her was full of rage, not full of fantasies about her.

I did see the sock and sandals. As for physique I really only see male with the biceps and what appears to be a man's walk. I did consider they were possibly holding something under their arm, but as that is the hand/arm they are constantly moving to use the cane, I think it would be more expected they would tuck something under the other arm that was more stationery compared to the arm that was moving back and forth with the movement of the cane.

All JMO

To me, that "red blob" under his arm looks like a big rip in his shirt and that's his skin we see, not something red. Which does not let him off the hook, but I really don't see "red" there. I see a slightly lighter color brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member