GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an interesting read and might help explain the attention, or lack of attention, this case is getting. It's just the writer's opinion, not mine.

The Martyrdom of Katie Janness

"The Atlanta Police Department should not be expected to treat this case any differently than any of the other 82 homicides that have yet to be solved, except as the evidence dictates."​
Started thread for murder victim referenced in the article..
GA- Jakari Dillard, 17, Fatally shot at Anderson Park pool, July 2021

Last edited:
This is an interesting read and might help explain the attention, or lack of attention, this case is getting. It's just the writer's opinion, not mine.

The Martyrdom of Katie Janness

"The Atlanta Police Department should not be expected to treat this case any differently than any of the other 82 homicides that have yet to be solved, except as the evidence dictates."​

The writer’s perspective is predictable. Obviously, there’s truth there. However, this crime is unusually brutal even by LE’s admission. Atlantans are jaded about crime but when its own equally jaded LE uses out-of-the-norm adjectives to describe a crime scene, we sit up and notice. The fact the dog was also stabbed to death, the haunting photograph of Katie and Bowie crossing the rainbow crosswalk bridging a street (echoes of “rainbow bridge”) just before being murdered together, the fact that Emma feared for Katie’s safety and ended up being the one who discovered their bodies, the male passerby audibly freaking out in the background upon discovering the bodies as Emma placed the 911 call, the tight timeline, the bloody brazenness of the killer acting in the public heart of Atlanta—a popular city/residential district that has activity even in the wee hours — yet still somehow escaping unnoticed, the fact the only 9 cameras worked in a 187-acre park that is so popular that my husband and I spent 20 minutes stuck in a park traffic jam and winding through residential streets trying to find just one nearby parking space yesterday— all of these facts would compel the public’s attention regardless of the victim’s demographic. Or should.

I don't think it was impulsive. There was no attempt to cover up because he wanted it like that. IMO if he ran so suddenly, as you observed, there would be a lot of blood on him. Anybody would've noticed that. Furthermore, security cameras didn't have anything like that. If it did, I'm pretty sure we would've caught the killer by now.

I don’t think he ran out of the park right away. Weather this was planned or unplanned, there doesn’t seem to be any footage of a blood soaked killer. Long black clothing would not show obvious blood on it. I just don’t get the vibe this is a well planned out intelligent killer. It seems erratic and rushed, like a youngish person. Moo

I don’t think he ran out of the park right away. Weather this was planned or unplanned, there doesn’t seem to be any footage of a blood soaked killer. Long black clothing would not show obvious blood on it. I just don’t get the vibe this is a well planned out intelligent killer. It seems erratic and rushed, like a youngish person. Moo

A comment from one of the recent articles:

‘“If you saw anyone with any unexplained injuries, an intense attraction to this case in the media. A change in appearance. A change in hair color. A change in any type of facial hair. An absence of school work, come forward give us a call,” said Deputy Chief Hampton. “There is nothing too insignificant,” he added.’

For what it’s worth, a high school is nearby.

‘“If you saw anyone with any unexplained injuries, an intense attraction to this case in the media. A change in appearance. A change in hair color. A change in any type of facial hair. An absence of school work, come forward give us a call,” said Deputy Chief Hampton. “There is nothing too insignificant,” he added.’

rbbm.
The high school nearby caught my attention too...fwiw.

We are all wondering how this happened without anyone noticing. Maybe this killer grabbed and dragged Katie to the tree area where it was darker and delivered the fatal injury. Since we have heard she was disfigured, and I have heard rumored details, at that point he did what he did to her and IF anyone was passing by it MAY have looked like two people hooking up, which might have caused passers by to just keep walking. Then I believe he posed her - maybe leaned her up against the tree covered with a branch. I can't figure Bowie's death onto this scenario unless he was also stabbed and ran to /collapsed in the place where he was found.
I also think he is out and about, went to the festival last week, and is enjoying the attention. JMO

I wanted to go back and re-listen to the full 911 call. But now all I am finding are heavily edited versions. The good version I heard before, the link is no longer working. Can anyone point me to a good unedited version (as unedited as possible).

I would still like to know at what time did Emma try to text/call Katie? In the interview I saw, I don't think she gave any times. It helps to pin down the time of the attack and I think that is very relevant in this case.
I agree. Without that information, us knowing the timeline is impossible, and all speculation is based on our concept of the timeline. Thankfully, through phone records, LE has this data.

We are all wondering how this happened without anyone noticing. Maybe this killer grabbed and dragged Katie to the tree area where it was darker and delivered the fatal injury. Since we have heard she was disfigured, and I have heard rumored details, at that point he did what he did to her and IF anyone was passing by it MAY have looked like two people hooking up, which might have caused passers by to just keep walking. Then I believe he posed her - maybe leaned her up against the tree covered with a branch. I can't figure Bowie's death onto this scenario unless he was also stabbed and ran to /collapsed in the place where he was found.
I also think he is out and about, went to the festival last week, and is enjoying the attention. JMO

Yep, and I would add to that last line that he's probably on social, pervertedly basking in the "glow" and who knows...maybe he's even on this forum doing the same.

I agree. Without that information, us knowing the timeline is impossible, and all speculation is based on our concept of the timeline. Thankfully, through phone records, LE has this data.
It is my understanding that Emma went home, and Katie wasn't there. At that time she called/texted and got no response and become concerned. Now, I don't know if we know if she walked or drove to the park where she found Katie.

It is my understanding that Emma went home, and Katie wasn't there. At that time she called/texted and got no response and become concerned. Now, I don't know if we know if she walked or drove to the park where she found Katie.
I think what I've read is that she used the iphone app and saw Katie's phone wasn't moving, thinking maybe she'd dropped her phone, so she drove some of Katie's routine walking routes and then went to Piedmont Park.

But I'm not sure about any of it. One might think she would have checked the park first, but who knows.

I think what I've read is that she used the iphone app and saw Katie's phone wasn't moving, thinking maybe she'd dropped her phone, so she drove some of Katie's routine walking routes and then went to Piedmont Park.

But I'm not sure about any of it. One might think she would have checked the park first, but who knows.
So, she did drive?

EXCLUSIVE: Partner of woman killed in Piedmont Park speaks about victim's final moments
Clark says she left her home and began driving around familiar routes that she thought Janness would take. She says she then went to the park and made the gruesome discovery that Janness had been mutilated and their dog killed as well.
Thank you, that is very helpful. She said she first texted/called quite a few times with no response. Assuming a minute or so between texts or calls, that took a bit of time. Then she began driving some routes Katie would take, then went to the park where she discovers Katie around 1:05 or so. So i think that takes at least 15 minutes. So I think that means the attack occurred BEFORE the runner enters the gate (based on my assumption that the runner didn't see the attack in progress.) Katie is seen in the crosswalk at 12:09. It would take about 15 minutes to walk from there to the gate area of the park I believe, maybe a couple minutes more with the dog. So I put the time of the attack between 12:30 and 12:40 roughly. Maybe the runner did see Bowie laying in the road but just though "yuck a dead dog, but didn't think anything more.

Thank you, that is very helpful. She said she first texted/called quite a few times with no response. Assuming a minute or so between texts or calls, that took a bit of time. Then she began driving some routes Katie would take, then went to the park where she discovers Katie around 1:05 or so. So i think that takes at least 15 minutes. So I think that means the attack occurred BEFORE the runner enters the gate (based on my assumption that the runner didn't see the attack in progress.) Katie is seen in the crosswalk at 12:09. It would take about 15 minutes to walk from there to the gate area of the park I believe, maybe a couple minutes more with the dog. So I put the time of the attack between 12:30 and 12:40 roughly. Maybe the runner did see Bowie laying in the road but just though "yuck a dead dog, but didn't think anything more.
I'm hung up on the 41 seconds. I actually just timed myself jogging 100 feet, stopping for a few seconds, and jogging 100 feet back and it only took 27 seconds. Of course this is an estimate, but I'd like to know if the jogger checked out the dead dog. During those 41 seconds, did he hear a phone ringing or buzzing (or did he have earbuds that might have impeded that)?

I feel the same way as I did when Eric Rudolph (sp) came here in '96 and the Atl Child murders way back in '79. When the Mayor called the murderer a monster that's what got my attention. But I have that same heart broken sunk into my gut feeling as I did the night I frantically searched for my friend at Centennial Olympic Park & my mom found one of the children near her car at work off N. Druid Hills Rd.
I'm so sorry :(

I'm hung up on the 41 seconds. I actually just timed myself jogging 100 feet, stopping for a few seconds, and jogging 100 feet back and it only took 27 seconds. Of course this is an estimate, but I'd like to know if the jogger checked out the dead dog. During those 41 seconds, did he hear a phone ringing or buzzing (or did he have earbuds that might have impeded that)?
I would love to know what he has told police. I know some speculated earlier he ran in to use the bathroom real quick.

Good catch, that's very interesting.

Sounds like they also definitely have the killer's DNA. That happens frequently in stabbings when the blade is slick with blood, they often cut/injure themselves in the process.

I think we're getting closer to a resolution.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member