Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #73 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tightening up the timeline - @OldCop and I missed the 2:35 pm text on Saturday- @Seattle1 do you happen to recall which reporter tweeted this? I followed mostly Lauren:
Saturday 5/9
12:02 am incoming call on SM’s phone(d)
2:07 am outgoing call on SM’s phone (d)
6:00 am BM’s phone revives call (d)
7:19 am BM’s cell revives signal
9:50 am BM text to SM: Want to go on hike?
9:52 SM to BM, Where? (No response) Later on, asking about summer tires on Range Rover
10:36 SM to BM : Wanna meet to hike?
10:48 BM: No, coming home
10:48 SM: Get hot tub stuff
11:00 am Tail Winds property (new subdivision)
11:30 am Veggie soup at home with SM
11:50 am-12:50 pm BM cell ping near river
behind house. BM said looking for turkey that daughter shot some time before.
1:38 BM left home- checked on job at Kim Gyms
1:42 pm SM text to JL: Guess who is alone again?
1:55 pm BM at DSI
2:00 pm BM getting blade replaced on Bobcat
2:03 pm SM sends sunbathing pic to JL. Last proof of life.
2:11 pm last LinkedIn message with JL
2:44 BM returned home
ETU JL sends several texts, no response
2:47 pm BM’s phone goes to airplane mode
2:44-2:47 BM moving around outside
house, BM shooting chipmunks?
2:44-4:44 Truck doesn’t move
4:44 BM truck door opens/closes
4:44-9:25 pm AA pge 6 truck stays in same loc
4:00-5:30 (sometime) Defense says BM in Salida Stove and Spa (however store closes at 2 on saturdays)
5:30 pm BM truck system rebooted
9:25 pm Truck gear goes into reverse and goes back 95 feet in driveway
9:52 pm truck door closes
10:17 pm BM phone out of airplane mode

Here you go -- BM warned SM he was on his way home!

CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #71 *ARREST*

To offer what I appreciate in the info shared to date (from Nosi’s link and notes)
-bike brake locked: in my opinion supports the bike was planted and we have BM’s truck in the vicinity at one point (also her camelback and sunglasses were not in the vicinity of the bike and helmet was .84 miles away)
-spy pen capturing the argument between SM and BM and missing woman bike story
-BERLA reports on BM’s truck activity
-the possible slip that when he left PP @ 5:000 am he went up Monarch pass (it seems that is where the helmet was found???)

Last edited:
Why do "only" 6 meetings in 1.5 years mean it wasn't about sex? Why does it matter that JL wasn't a friend of BM's?

I think it was a torrid love affair, at least to SM. I would not interpret what little we know of their communications any other way. Sometimes in the comments here about the affair I think I sense ageism creeping in (not in your comment specifically). The passion felt at age 20 can still be felt at age 50, IMO.

I also think it is dangerous for the prosecution to parse the affair in any way except cold, clinical fact. As my response indicates, individuals will have their own interpretations based on their personal biases and feelings.

The important thing to me is to redirect when the defense gets off on a blame the victim tangent, as in "Yes, she had an affair, but she's still dead isn't she? And her husband had means, motive and opportunity, didn't he?"

JMHO (BTW, I am soon to be 59)
Agreed. Only two things that are important:
1. Suzanne did not run away and is still alive out there somewhere. This must be proven.
2. Barry murdered Suzanne.

so if he planned this - maybe that explains his demeanor at the worksite saturday morning with MG - the "go home and make the wife happy" ?

In the early days, I first believed BM was making a goodwill gesture here with the "make the wife happy" on Saturday after he alleged in interviews that he had to work on Sunday and that he asked SM, and she was OK with it.

However, as of right now, I've not seen any evidence that SM knew anything about BM working on Sunday. I'm sure she would have told JL that BM was going to be gone, right? I will be interested to know if the daughters knew BM planned on working on Sunday before they left town and/or before BM phoned Mallory on Sunday.

MOO

Last edited:
I am interested in the relationship between Barry and Gene Morphew (and likewise, Suzanne's relationship with her father at this same time)...especially around the time of the move to CO. We know there were issues about the loan, the payback, etc....But, Suzanne told JL, I believe, that 80% of the arguments were over money...and one of the last arguments centered around Suzanne's inheritance being put into the house, if I recall correctly. I get the impression that this may have been a tipping point for Suzanne....when exactly did she get the money, and then, when did that money get put into the house? I would have thought that Gene and/or Suzanne arranged for an account in Suzanne's name. Then Barry transferred it to the mortgage? This set of transactions is very interesting because it appears to have been very impactful on Suzanne. Any thoughts?

In the early days, I first believed BM was making a goodwill gesture here with the "make the wife happy" on Saturday after he alleged in interviews that he had to work on Sunday and that he asked SM, and she was OK with it.

However, as of right now, I've not seen any evidence that SM knew anything about BM working on Sunday. I'm sure she would have told JL that BM was going to be gone, right? I will be interested to know if the daughters knew BM was working before they left town and/or before BM phoned Mallory on Sunday.

MOO
Very good point.....And Did MG know she was going to Broomfield on Sunday before the early am phone call?

Wasn’t his male worker the one who smelled the bleach? I’ve wondered WHY he gave them HIS room? IIRC they both entered room- smelled bleach, which made me think they both stayed in his ONE rented room.
BM figuring out how to save money while LEO are searching for his missing wife - fits with my opinion of what a complete narcissist he is …

Could be, but it seems unlikely they would be comfortable with that unless there were more than the two of them, and even then possibly not. However -- regardless of how many rooms there were for sleeping, it seems reasonable to me that they both entered the one room -- to talk, eat or drink, see what tools/instructions the boss left, etc.

And he took her RR? Which was why he moved his truck in order to get it out?
There was a discussion about Winter Tires being on it - which I don’t understand because I would assume BM took care of those things and since SM rode daily and per MM’s BF - hauled her bike to trailheads, wouldn’t she have known if winter tires were on or off?
Forgive me, I’m tired, and probably overthinking something that means nothing.

In many areas the county has a mandatory date in springtime by when winter tires MUST be removed or face a ticket. She could have been merely reminding him that date was approaching.

Some of what we are discussing is probably going to turn out to be entirely innocuous -- it's just that we don't yet know which bits those are! Personally I would expect winter tire mention to be in that category.

MOO

Hi All, here is updated link with some corrections made. I am not sure why for a bit I gave daughters the initials MalB and MaB instead of MalM and MaM... I could speculate...:rolleyes:

I want to mention that you should know that whatever my notes are, they are to the best of my understanding and ability. I am lightyears from being an expert.

I hope this works....

Link Sharing

Last edited:
He didn’t even ask where’s my wife did you find her.
And it’s on body cam.

Bodycam video: #BarryMorphew gets to the location the bike was found and asks where exactly it was located and then asks if there was a crash. Commander says there was a time when a deputy had to ask Barry to stop touching the bike @KKTV11News #SuzanneMorphew
https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1424746561574080522?s=21

BarryMorphew told investigators he thought it could've been a mountain lion but he says that was all in his head. #SuzanneMorphew @KKTV11News
https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1424749530214375431?s=21

Commander says there were several instances of when #BarryMorphew speculated what happened to #SuzanneMorphew-- includes Barry saying he was scared someone could've picked Suzanne up, it could've been a mountain lion, there could've been foul play at an RV park. @KKTV11News
https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1424750378101264394?s=21

Another body camera video shows Barry returning home that evening. He appears to be in tears, hugging others. He asks deputies questions about what they've found and where they've looked. Asks if it was a crash, maybe "a lion?" Bike is propped up against a sheriff's SUV nearby
https://twitter.com/marcsallinger/status/1424746335996022788?s=21

Deputies ask two people to stop touching the bike in the body worn camera. Commander Walker testifies one of the people touching the bike was Barry Morphew.

https://twitter.com/marcsallinger/status/1424746625835048961?s=21
^^^^. LS says the other person was GD ^^^^

In another body cam video, Barry Morphew is emotional and seen talking with deputies. He's heard saying Suzanne bikes every day and was asleep when he left the home that day.

In court, Barry's mother and daughters are watching this video. One daughter is blinking away tears.
https://twitter.com/stephaniebutzer/status/1424745758281007111?s=21

In the video, Barry is heard asking if deputies saw any "cats" on the road and a deputy says not recently.
Suzanne's turquoise helmet was found a few days after her bike was discovered, Walker says.
https://twitter.com/stephaniebutzer/status/1424746793670115338?s=21
^^^^^ OKAY THAT ONE MADE ME LOL ^^^^

It is dusk. The deputies are perplexed as to how the bike could get here. We hear their chatter.

“I don't know if she was coming down and lost control or got exhausted and fell over the edge.” It is dusk. Very tough terrain with logs, grass, hills, rocks.

Body cam video of #BarryMorphew when he arrives at the Mayes family home from Denver. He tells deputy of #SuzanneMorphew that
..."she bikes every day. She was asleep when I left. She was sound asleep.” Suzanne's body has not been found.
https://twitter.com/carolamckinley/status/1424746384687702016?s=2
Not only did he not ask if they found her he seemed to already know before he left the hotel that they wouldn't find her, leaving all the tools there well before they'd found her bike.

That's what he was doing for 5 hours in the hotel room, IMO. Waiting around for someone else to make that call to 911.

The most astonishing part of this is the theory BM doesn’t offer - that his wife left him! Barry himself does not even suggest it. Yet his defense will have us believe that’s exactly what happened - that Suzanne left and went to Ecuador.

I think maybe the defense is going to try to say that Suzanne staged the bike crash herself.
You know, before she slinked away to Ecuador.
During the pandemic restrictions.

So Chris McD said (WS interview 12th Aug - link below, timestamp 1:40:45)

"until we get into the purchasing of the items. The chlorine. That was at Salida Spa and Pool. [...] There's another big purchase, of corn feed. There's a burlap bag, it's a 50lb bag. So I'm sure all of that will start to fall into play."

This is the picture I'm building up :

Barry needs to make sure Suzanne is staying at home and is going to be relaxing outside, hence Suzanne's one line text - get hot tub stuff. I'm sure they've already discussed it. It reads like a reminder, she's not asking if he can.

11:50am - 12:50pm. Barry is near the river. Trail cams set up between house and river, capturing long range sun deck/hot tub. Corn trails dropped.

1:38pm - Barry leaves for just over an hour, he is remotely watching Suzanne settled outside/preparing his ambush.

2:44pm - Barry returns, leaving the truck door open, no noise. Suzanne does not let JL know that Barry is back, or even approaching in his truck at the end of the drive, or nearer, neither appears to know, since he carries on texting oblivious. Perhaps that gives us an idea of the river noise on that side of the house, drowning out the sound of his engine possibly slowly cruising, or perhaps she was wearing ear buds or the hot tub was whirring and warming up. Surely she would have been alert for his return. Barry's phone shows movements, he is not in the garage retrieving gun or ammunition/darts, he is outside the house, advancing, already armed with a dart loaded in his gun. One dart is missing. One cap is in the dryer. Suzanne is non-responsive to JL from the time Barry arrives but by 2:47pm Barry's focus is already on his phone. I don't think there was a chase, I think she was taken by complete surprise on her sun lounger, perhaps shot in the neck. Now he's probably running over to 'help' her but suddenly he is calm enough to take out his phone to turn it into airplane mode. Barry would then, I am sure, turn to Suzanne's phone to see what's on her screen and whether she's sent an SOS call.

I don't see how having a gun armed with a dart (not regular ammo) is not premeditation, if this is how it played out.

I expect he needs chipmunks dining nearby, on film, in case Suzanne managed to text JL and JL called out LE before Barry finished up.

No need to get rid of tranquilizer material the next day unless it was incriminating.

Ashley Franco @AshleyKKTV
·
10 Aug

Grusing says that same day #BarryMorphew phone was tracked roaming the outside of the Morphew residence. He asked why he was roaming around. Barry allegedly tells him he was chasing Chipmunks to shoot.

Carol McKinley @CarolAMcKinley
·
10 Aug

At 247, BM phone goes into airplane mode. Suzanne's phone is getting messages from her lover, libler asking about the weather. meanwhile, BM says he was moving around the house shooting chipmunks.

Crime Talk with Scott Reisch @CrimeTalkPod
·
10 Aug

At 2:47 his phone goes into airplane mode Suzanne got messages after 2:47 from Libler but did not respond. No movement of truck until 4:44 pm - driver door closes and driver door opens

Carol McKinley @CarolAMcKinley

Replying to <rsbm>

Yes. Grusing said they found a tranquilizer cap in the dryer vent when they searched the home. There was also mention of one dart missing from a 4-dart case.

2:09 am · 11 Aug 2021·Twitter for iPhone

When did BM purchase the corn?

Last edited:
Being in possession of tranquilizer darts requires licensing. Even if he had a deer farm back in Indiana, which allowed him to tranquilize and capture deer there, that wouldn't work in CO and he knew it.

Since it is my opinion that the most obvious source of Barry's darts was the Fire Department, it would not surprise me to learn that they found the cap (almost immediately), checked their locked medical supply cabinets (both in ambulances and at stations) and found a box missing. These are highly controlled substances. People steal ketamine to use as a date rape drug.

So Barry just turning up with a package of 3 darts would have been a bit...suspicious...to say the least.

I am now wondering if this missing box of darts is one of the reasons that the entire group of firefighters was banned from searching. Dart cap found in dryer at home of missing person; dart is the brand used by firefighters to tranquilize bears and mountain lions - so it's strong; missing dart box was then noticed at Fire Station.

Could also explain why his FF buddies have seemingly stepped away from supporting him, as they had been at first.

I am interested in the relationship between Barry and Gene Morphew (and likewise, Suzanne's relationship with her father at this same time)...especially around the time of the move to CO. We know there were issues about the loan, the payback, etc....But, Suzanne told JL, I believe, that 80% of the arguments were over money...and one of the last arguments centered around Suzanne's inheritance being put into the house, if I recall correctly. I get the impression that this may have been a tipping point for Suzanne....when exactly did she get the money, and then, when did that money get put into the house? I would have thought that Gene and/or Suzanne arranged for an account in Suzanne's name. Then Barry transferred it to the mortgage? This set of transactions is very interesting because it appears to have been very impactful on Suzanne. Any thoughts?
Scottie, I'm not a financial expert.
But I can offer my impression.

I think that Suzanne totally agreed to put her inheritance into the Puma Path home, with the stipulation that it would be returned to her when the Indiana home sold. She also helped buy the Puma Path home by getting an additional loan from her father.
She hoped that this fresh start would be a reset on their marriage, but soon found out different.

Her inheritance money represented the only power and independence that Suzanne had. I think that her having that drove him insane. He probably spent most of his waking hours fuming and plotting on ways to get his hands on that money. Once she put it into Puma Path, he determined that she would not get it back.

I think he also had a line of credit against the Puma Path home. So basically he was able to spend her inheritance.

Suzanne probably knew that the closing of the sale of the Indiana home, would be her only chance to get her money back. Barry knew that too. She had to be gone before.
Moo

Agreed. It’s the financials I’m most interested in.

It breaks my heart thinking Suzanne might’ve innocently melded inherited liquid assets into marital assets without wrapping them up into a trust payable to her daughters and bypassing her spouse.

Likewise I obsess about if BM dutifully paid into Social Security for him and Suzanne over the years or if he did a lot of under the table cash deals and tried to scoot out of paying into SS for him and Suzanne.

A divorce would expose financial shenanigans.

Hi All, here is updated link with some corrections made. I am not sure why for a bit I gave daughters the initials MalB and MaB instead of MalM and MaM... I could speculate...:rolleyes:

I want to mention that you should know that whatever my notes are, they are to the best of my understanding and ability. I am lightyears from being an expert.

I hope this works....

Link Sharing
NoSI, your notes are fantastic. You're a Websleuths superhero!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member