Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great kid! Caring and unselfish.

Vaccinated USC freshman details how he tested positive for COVID on move-in day
Eduard Huang of San Mateo has been fully vaccinated. The 18-year-old began experiencing a tell-tale symptom of COVID-19 - a loss of smell - right after moving into his dorm at USC.

"As I was setting up my cleaning supplies, I realized that I couldn't smell anything," Huang recalled. "I held up my shampoo in my nose and couldn't smell that, but my dad could. I realized something was up."

Alarmed, Huang convinced his parents to take him from his newly furnished dorm room out of fear that he could be infectious. His family purchased a rapid test from a local CVS, which immediately showed that the college freshman tested positive for COVID-19.
After spending hours on the line with the USC Student Health Hotline, Huang was booked into a neighboring hotel by the university. He will isolate there for the next 10 days until he is no longer infectious to others. He is on the COVID floor, which is strictly reserved for positive university students.
"It would have been really easy for me to just stay in my dorm and just stay on campus but I think I did the right thing... I don't regret it, but I'm bummed out."
"I suspect that there are a lot of students just like me who could be symptomatic on campus and not know it. Not report it."

Huang decided to share this story as an extension of his journey toward becoming a journalist.

Breakthrough Covid infection: What to do if you're vaccinated and test positive - CNN

Reading this, I am absolutely positive that I had a "breakthrough case" in June. At that point in time, there was no discussion about people who were vaccinated getting Covid.

I thought it was a terrible cold. I don't even think I could have been able to get a test at that time. I had a Pfizer vaccine, my husband, Moderna..and he never caught my "cold'.

Jacksonville mother loses 2 sons to COVID-19 in 12 hours

Brandon said she took the Moderna vaccine and credits that for her mild case. She said she couldn’t convince her sons to get immunized.

And the tragedies keep piling up. Please get vaccinated. The virus (especially the Delta variant) doesn't discriminate. Younger, healthier people are just as affected as the elderly. It doesn't care who you worship or who you supported in the last election. Get vaccinated to protect yourself and your loved ones from potential severe outcomes and financial burden.

Updates from NZ:

Covid 19 coronavirus Delta outbreak: NZ's lockdown to continue until at least midnight Friday; Auckland's for longer - NZ Herald

Covid 19 coronavirus Delta outbreak: Free childcare for essential workers from tomorrow - Hipkins - NZ Herald

I don’t know what the actual law was here when our kids had to wear them, but up and down the UK the conversations went something like this:

Parents: right kids, I know it’s a pain but you have to wear a face mask in class to help protect your friends and teachers.

Kids: urgh, I don’t really like wearing a face mask.

Parents: well thems the rules, so here’s your mask and here’s a spare and wash your hands and have a good day!
Really? That surprises me because I have been seeing lots of articles about the UK and Australia, about protests against mask wearing.
Protesters Across Europe Clash With Police Over COVID-19 Lockdowns
Anti-lockdown protesters defy restrictions in central London march
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/06/wearamask-mask-wearing-becomes-a-new-battleground-in-england.html
Thousands protest amid global anger against COVID restrictions
In Melbourne, Australia, a protest against Covid restrictions turned violent.

46 Stories about People Who Regret Not Getting the Vaccine

Unvaccinated doctor sends warning to others after catching delta variant

IRR56MQXCNDXPK25UQYT5XR6NM.PNG

Dr. Jason Loos, a pathologist at Covenant Health, recently caught the delta variant, a much more contagious strain of COVID-19.(KCBD)
LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD/Gray News) – A doctor in Texas says he regrets his decision to not get vaccinated against COVID-19.

KCBD reports Dr. Jason Loos, a pathologist at Covenant Health, recently caught the delta variant, a much more contagious strain of the virus.

“I’ve never had fever more than a day and a half in my life. I’ve called in sick maybe once in 20 years,” he said.

But after eight days of fever, Loos woke up unable to breathe and had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance.

That was in late May. He’s still feeling the effects now, a couple of months later, unable to enjoy activities as before or to smell and taste.

“It took me about three weeks to get back to where I could walk up one flight of stairs,” Loos said. “Even today, if you race me in a 100-yard dash, you’d have to pick me up and take me back to the ER.”

Loos says his choice to not get a COVID-19 vaccination was fueled by a combination of apathy and optimism for how well he would manage the virus if infected.

He also said he wanted to save the dose made available to healthcare workers or a more vulnerable person.

“I’ll always say it’s a personal choice, but the right choice is to get vaccinated,” Loos advised.

“This really is a pandemic of the unvaccinated,” said Dr. Brian Schroeder, chief medical officer of Covenant Health Medical Center. “We’re not seeing anyone who has been vaccinated requiring critical care.”
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Coast nurses hit "compassion fatigue" with the unvaccinated as Covid's 4th wave surges

The hum of exhaust systems sucking air out of contaminated rooms filled an ICU at Ocean Springs Hospital on a recent Tuesday.

Health care workers changed in and out of personal protective equipment in a continuous loop, entering rooms only long enough to flip COVID-19 patients from their backs to their bellies; a process called proning that helps them breathe.

The bodies that lay unconscious were not elderly, they appeared middle-aged.

Mississippi health care workers are in the midst of what one Singing River ICU nurse called a bout of PTSD and another called a bad dream: the fourth wave of COVID-19.

But it’s different than previous surges.

This round, compassion is running dry. Ninety-five percent of the hospitalized patients at Singing River hospitals are unvaccinated.

And this time is different, because knowing that most of the cases are from unvaccinated patients, it adds a level of frustration that wasn’t there before.”

YOUNGER PATIENTS IN ICU

“This round, we have a 39-year-old female that has fought for about a month now…,” said Singing River ICU nurse Theresa Wolfe. “She’s been scared to death that she’s going to die. She did not get the vaccine.”

When Wolfe left her shift last week, it seemed like things were starting to look up for the patient.

“She’s now on a ventilator with 100% oxygen. Four days later, that’s where she’s at. Is she going to come out of this? We don’t know. We walked in this morning and intubated a patient right off the bat. Emergently. Are these people going to make it? We don’t know.”

“While the world is going on about its business, there are places here and throughout Mississippi and this region where a nurse is having to have the unbearable pain of not knowing how badly COVID might affect their patient,” Bond said.

“I would want the public to know that nurses and clinicians are suffering greatly right now, and I think the world has sort of lost sight of that.”

‘TO SEE THE ACTUAL FACES OF THESE PATIENTS’

Wolfe said that a lot of patients she sees, especially the young ones, haven’t gotten the vaccine because they think they’re “superman,” among other reasons.

But Babar described in detail what COVID looks like for patients sick enough to be in the ICU. It’s very real and very lonely, he said, for all age groups. Patients cannot see their families, and nurses can only stay in their rooms for limited amounts of time.

For many, the only way to get breath circulating is to have nurses come into their rooms to “prone” them every eight to 16 hours. It’s uncomfortable, especially for obese people.

“When you keep someone prone for days on end, they start breaking down. Their faces start breaking down. They get sores,” Babar said.

When patients reach a point where they need a ventilator, they usually spend weeks to months hooked up. In many cases, they’re not just sedated but paralyzed. During previous waves of COVID, someone’s chance of survival if put on a ventilator was about 55%.

“As we’re putting these patients on the ventilator, we know in our minds that half of them aren’t going to walk out of here,” he said.

What the health care workers hear most often on vaccine hesitancy: there’s not enough research, that they’ve already had the infection so they don’t need to get a vaccine, that a microchip might be placed inside of them and infertility. The biggest hesitation is that they don’t want to be told by the government that they have to get it.

“One person’s words to me were, she would rather die than get vaccinated.”

But the nurses said they’ve also heard a lot of regret from patients who didn’t think the virus was real.

“If they have any kind of regret or change of heart, you’ll hear about that before they get intubated, when they’re still struggling,” Sartin said.

Last edited:

The protests in Australia are about lockdowns.
We don't really have people going on a rampage about a mask (although there has been the occassional report of a person arguing with a police officer about it - then they cop a fine).

The great majority put on their mask when they are required to. It certainly is nothing at all like the situation in the US.

I went in to pay for petrol the other night. Everyone was masked, except one man. The cashier saw him walk in and called out "no mask tonight, luv?" He said "umm, no, can I buy one?" She directed him to where they had masks for sale, he complied, situation over.

The kids are all wearing masks in school. No rebellion.
A work associate today kept his young 10 year old daughter home from school because she has sniffles and a sore throat. He took her to get covid tested. She is negative. But he was taking no chances.

Last edited:

Most of those articles are about lockdown restrictions generally - only one is about masks in England where a handful of people “took to Twitter” to protest. None are about children wearing masks in school, which is what we were discussing here.

Locked-down New Zealanders urged to 'spread your legs' by minister in bizarre statement
New Zealand Covid-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins went viral when he made a hilarious slip of the tongue yesterday when updating the nation on today’s positive cases.

"It is a challenge for people in high density areas to get outside and spread their legs when they are surrounded by other people," he said.

He accidentally instructed Kiwis to “spread their legs” instead of “stretch their legs” and bumbled through the rest of his sentence after realising his mistake.

New Zealanders urged to 'spread your legs' by minister in bizarre statement

Critically ill Covid patients are less likely to die or to require invasive ventilation if they lay on their stomachs while receiving oxygen, a global research project has found.

The study looked at the impact of the technique, known as awake prone positioning, on more than 1,000 patients with severe coronavirus in hospitals in six countries.

It found that putting patients in this position while they received high-flow nasal cannula oxygen reduced death and the need for invasive mechanical ventilation.

The study’s findings have been published in The Lancet Respiratory Medicine.

Coronavirus live news: UK reports 32,253 new cases as Ho Chi Minh City prepares for lockdown

That's interesting because although I'm pretty healthy, since I had pneumonia as a kid, if I catch a cold or the flu, it usually settles in my lungs. When that happens, I always sleep on my stomach and that's the only thing that allows me to breath better. Thanks for sharing this. I can relate.

'Long Covid' alert for the young: New video campaign tells of sufferers' 'debilitating' conditions | Daily Mail Online

Young adults bed-bound with 'long Covid' have starred in a Government film aimed at persuading reluctant people to have the jab.

The video, released by the NHS, shows three previously fit and healthy people in their twenties and thirties describing their 'debilitating' symptoms.

Among them are Quincy Dwamena, 31, who spent two weeks in hospital with the virus after putting off the vaccine and said he thought he was 'going to die'.

The dramatic video reflects mounting concern among health officials about stalling uptake in young adults.

New figures show one fifth of Covid-19 hospital admissions in England are aged 18 to 34 – four times higher than the peak last winter.

In the UK, there was v little resistance to wearing masks. I cant open that Reuters article, but I live less than an hour from London and was (blissfully?!) unaware of any protests.

Not everyone complies on transport though which is very frustrating, not least for us as Mr HKP commutes to London by train. But generally, in shops (even now that its not a legal requirement any longer) people wear them and as Cags said, we didnt have issues in schools.

That risk calculator in there is really interesting. I'm horrified to realize how high risk everything I do now is. I'm not going to church. I'm not even grocery shopping in the store. But I need to take my baby to physical therapy. Feeding therapy so the therapist is super close to us both. I had to take her to the ENT last week.

I've drastically reduced our risk compared to most people I know. But everyone else's choices make everything high risk for everyone else. It's so frustrating. I hate this constant weighing of risk but I'm not capable of ignoring it like so many people I know.

‘Absolutely nothing we can do:’ landlords, tenants struggle as ‘half measure’ moratorium pleases none

Eviction moratorium battle sheds light on struggling landlords who 'still have to find a way to pay'

The federal eviction moratorium, which has allowed struggling renters swamped by the fallout from COVID-19 to remain in their homes but left landlords mostly on the hook for unpaid rent, is starting to draw more fire from both camps.

Some 6.5 million renter households are behind on rent, according to U.S. Census Bureau data, with nearly 72% of them owing smaller “mom and pop” landlords.

That demographic is arguably one of the biggest losers in the current crisis, with the moratorium neither providing them financial relief or facilitating payment of the billions owed in back rent.

The policy “is so completely one-sided, that at some point it's going to tip,” complained Suzanne Antolini, a Long Island homeowner. She’s now over $50,000 in debt, due to an employed tenant refusing to make rent payments.

“Our hands are so tied that there's absolutely nothing we can do,” Antolini told Yahoo Finance in an interview.

Most evictions for unpaid rent have been halted since the early days of the pandemic, but 58% of smaller landlords with fewer than four units say they have tenants that are still behind on rent, according to the National Association of Realtors.

Property owners of all income levels are frustrated about the moratoriums — which some have challenged in court.

“One of the big challenges that we hear from our members is non-responsive residents and how to address that problem,” Paula Cinco, vice president the National Multifamily Housing Council, told Yahoo Finance.

For months, tenants and housing advocates have been sounding the alarm on the slow rollout of rent relief.

“We get dozens of emails and calls from tenants who have applied for money, who are desperate to receive that money, who are scared they're gonna lose their homes if they don't get it in time, but who haven't received that money yet,” Diane Yentel, CEO National Low Income Housing Coalition told Yahoo! Finance Live on Friday.

To that end, computer systems in several states have malfunctioned, preventing renters from applying.

While renters have been shielded from eviction under the federal ban, the financial challenge facing many tenants is squeezing working class landlords who rely on rent to pay their own bills.

Landlords are saddled with thousands of dollars in lost rent — money that they and their families could possibly never get back.

That was one of the most half assed cockamamie things I think I've ever seen. Immediately giving all the renters a break from paying their rent. BUT not doing the same for the owners of those buildings. The bank was still guaranteed to be paid but at one person's expense. And then somehow no one can manage the funds to help the mortgage holders. Even after all this time? How is it we can be so grossly incompetent?

Qantas will launch its COVID-19 vaccination rewards campaign on Tuesday, giving frequent flyer members a choice of three different reward options.

Members who are 18 and over and fully vaccinated can choose either 1000 frequent flyer points, 15 status credits or a $20 flight discount voucher (for use with Qantas or Jetstar).

They will also be automatically entered in a draw to win one of 10 "mega prizes" - a year's worth of domestic flights, with free accommodation across 345 Accor hotels and free fuel from BP service stations.

Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce has been advocating for corporate Australia to push vaccinations for several months.

"Getting vaccinated is an important step that every Australian can take that brings us that little bit closer to life as we knew it," he said.

Last week the airline announced it would make vaccinations mandatory for its 22,000 staff.

Here's what Qantas is going to give you for getting vaccinated

Well... I believe our international posters know more of what is on the ground . There is are growing frustration in lockdown, but for the most part our posters from the UK, AU, and NZ have indicated they are more of a fringe element, rather than 1/2 of a unwilling to be educated half of a country.

Up to 200 anti-vaxxers storm ITN's London HQ | Daily Mail Online

Hundreds of anti-vaxx protesters have stormed the London headquarters of ITV News and Channel 4 News.

Up to 200 demonstrators have refused to leave the building's lobby and are demanding to speak to the broadcaster's bosses as part of a protest against vaccine passports.

The scenes come just moments after crowds of angry protesters hurled abuse at veteran Channel 4 presenter Jon Snow as police officers tried to control the mob outside the studio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53