UK UK - Claudia Lawrence, 35, Chef, York University, 18 March 2009 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate that you have google as a source, but honestly as a local this just isn’t true and I am confident other locals would agree- 12 minutes minimum in the witching hour- in the day the A64 is more like a car park or snail race.
Middle of the night-40 MPH speed limit- Journey time 6.4 miles. (40/ 6.4 miles=6.25 minutes) 10 minutes is feasible.
The lay-bys aren’t useful dumping grounds, they are used almost constantly and trucks park overnight in them, they are an extra section on the road (not behind bushes etc). The science campus next to the gravel pits isn’t anything to do with the Uni. I’m on holiday so don’t take my short responses as blunt, they aren’t meant to be- but the internet ain’t great here. There are two sets of fishing lakes within 15/20 minutes walk of each other (the gravel pits being one set)- next lane on the A64. My gut feeling is they should search both if it’s from a verbal tip off, if somethings been found in the environmental survey then that’s a whole different kettle of fish.
Thanks, your local knowledge is very helpful.

so....it was an anonymous tip off rather. than something spotted following a survey.......or an anonymous tip off following a survey

maybe they did tell the police more....eg, if you go here or there you'll find a backpack or her backpack...maybe they've found it and it either is or isn't Claudias and they've. not passed this on....maybe they dont know an exact location for either a body or possessions...or maybe its a wind up
Surly the police would not go to such an expense if there was a possibility of a wind up ?
One other possibility you’ve missed is that someone knows or suspect of some other historical wrong doing and thought they’d get a better response in searching an area if they used CL name ?

Last edited:
Depends on what they find and if they deem it of forensic interest. Material, metal, bones it can take weeks to do all the necessary forensics.

Several lines of enquiry. They must have their hands full.
Is this info coming from one person pointing the finger at another person or at more than one persons.

The problem with these open cases is the police dont have to or are not able to disclose much after a search.
They won't find the phone near the gravel pits for sure, that's too much of a risk for the killer. They may find the rucksack somewhere there.

I hope the police still have in their possession cctv and other footage looking at vehicles that where around the search area from 12 years ago ie 18/19 /20 2009
But having said this , I hope the anonymous tipsters do come back with more info just like the police have asked them to a few days ago !
Come on do the right thing and have some compassion… the family want Claudia.
This A64 was the route she drove to see her mum, its highly likely they have CCTV footage of vehicles near that area. The DEFRA site would have CCTV too

If they found something, it was in the lake- so really really unlikely to be a phone- a shape like a dumped bag or bones are my guess on a sonar scanner during the environmental survey - but then why go with Claudia, we still have Rory also missing.

This A64 was the route she drove to see her mum, its highly likely they have CCTV footage of vehicles near that area. The DEFRA site would have CCTV too
The DEFRA site doesn’t overlook the A64, but many other businesses down there do- however that was never in the initial search so won’t have been looked at.

The DEFRA site doesn’t overlook the A64, but many other businesses down there do- however that was never in the initial search so won’t have been looked at.
Does it look onto the road to the gravel pits?

It’s not a police photo- all their photos of the hair dye and CCTV etc are freely available on their webpage about Claudia- this photo isn’t on there.
ETA- I agree, I think personally it was reconstructed like that for tv to raise certain peoples anxiety. But weirdly whoever was there would know they didn’t have a glass of wine or what have you if the photo wasn’t accurate- so who were they trying to antagonise with it by implying two people had been there the night before?
Why do
You think it was reconstructed like that to antagonise - implying two people had been there the night before ?

Surly the police would not go to such an expense if there was a possibility of a wind up ?
One other possibility you’ve missed is that someone knows or suspect of some other historical wrong doing and thought they’d get a better response in searching an area if they used CL name ?

Or a person that went missing the same day as Claudia did

just a couple of random thoughts.....ive been thinking that poring over photos of Claudius kitchen is a waste of time....but I dont think the police would. have thought that, otherwise they wouldn't. have released them...maybe, though, they've served their purpose...if they were meant to tell the culprit they knew something, he or she. would. have realised it by now and its had no effect, or the police were wrong. in their assumpti0ns.....if they were meant to provoke useful information from the public, the tactic hasn't worked either.

if the search of the woodland and lake came from a chance survey or whatever, then they must have found some kind of evidence....whether. truly linked to claudia or not we dont know...it could, for. example, be a backpack of the same kind as Claudius without being hers.

if it was a tip off, they could have just said that she was taken into. the woods...you can drain the lake but her body ore possessions. would. be very difficult. to find without a location

Make no mistake if you are shown evidence pointing to your guilt of a crime it will have an effect on even the most hardened criminals - psychologically it’s a game of cat and mouse.

They won't find the phone near the gravel pits for sure, that's too much of a risk for the killer. They may find the rucksack somewhere there.
Why wouldn’t they find the phone near the gravel
Pits for sure - why is it a risk for the killer? I’m not following you line of thinking apologies

Why do
You think it was reconstructed like that to antagonise - implying two people had been there the night before ?
No idea really, but IMO if I was seeing someone under the radar and then saw the same person was missing but it looked like they had a friend over the night before I may well get irritated and tell a friend who may have a conscience.

Why wouldn’t they find the phone near the gravel
Pits for sure - why is it a risk for the killer? I’m not following you line of thinking apologies
Yes I’m sure finding the phone would help but it looks to me only a confession is going to produce a conviction .
Now giving up ( after 12,years ) the location of her body might even help you getting away with it .
After a decent dignified burial people would loose interest !

No idea really, but IMO if I was seeing someone under the radar and then saw the same person was missing but it looked like they had a friend over the night before I may well get irritated and tell a friend who may have a conscience.
Yes that’s a fair point - however think it through unless you had a feeling you knew who the third party was it would be unlikely you’d say anything - because it may lead to a reveal of your own infidelities. I’m thinking it’s likely there was two people there - my problem comes to the bed - the beds made - yes someone could have taken the bedding and replaced it - especially with a guest house over a certain local Pub.

Agree we live Heworth and wouldn’t use A64 to go to SH , use Stockton Lane then back road to Upper Helmsley and SH is next village 3/4 mile on
Are you sure it’s a 12 minute drive? Google maps got it to 15 to upper Helmsley and it’s quiet now and you still have another 5 minutes drive to the gravel pits.

Attachments

• 66D79084-8DB2-4015-AE4B-2C4BEF445D2B.jpeg
    66D79084-8DB2-4015-AE4B-2C4BEF445D2B.jpeg
    473.8 KB · Views: 10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics