CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article253868828.html#storylink=readnext

Aug 30, 2021

upload_2021-8-30_21-24-13.png

A map of recent Sierra National Forest closures. SIERRA NATIONAL FOREST SPECIAL TO THE BEE

Sierra National Forest closed numerous hiking trails, picnic areas and campgrounds, citing “unknown hazards found in and near the Savage Lundy Trail,” where a Mariposa family was mysteriously found dead two weeks ago.

The closures went into effect Sunday and extend through Sept. 26.

The Sierra closures started just a day before the U.S. Forest Service shared it will close all 20 million acres of California’s national forests beginning Tuesday until at least Sept. 17 due to “extreme fire conditions,” The Sacramento Bee first reported.

[..]

The “unknown hazard” area found along the Savage Lundy Trail is within the Bass Lake Ranger District.

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article253770788.html

Aug 26, 2021

The family was found dead by a search and rescue team on Aug. 17 along the Savage-Lundy Trail in Devil’s Gulch near Hites Cove, a remote location in Sierra National Forest that’s northeast of Mariposa and southwest of Yosemite National Park.

[..[

Toxicology tests are not yet complete. The sheriff’s office has not shared what toxins are being tested for in the toxicology tests. Samples from the dog were sent to multiple labs for testing.

[..]

Mariposa Sheriff Jeremy Briese said detectives are working “round the clock” to find answers for Gerrish’s and Chung’s family and friends.

[..]

The sheriff’s office said the entire Savage-Lundy Trail loop, where the family was found dead, is approximately 8.5 miles, with 5 miles of that being a “steep southern exposure path with little-to-no trees or shade” in the 2018 Ferguson Fire burn scar.

[..]

The family started their hike from a trailhead down Hites Cove Road north of Jerseydale in Mariposa County.

[..]

The sheriff’s office plans to share another update when toxicology results are back, and “there is no current timeframe for that.”

On Aug. 20, Mitchell said toxicology results can take up to six weeks, and sometimes longer.

[..]

The Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office also shared the following timeline of recent events and their investigation.

• Saturday, Aug. 14: Jonathan Gerrish researches Hites Cove hike via a phone app.
  • Sunday, Aug. 15: 7:45 a.m., witness sees the Gerrish/Chung family traveling toward the trailhead in their vehicle.

• Monday, Aug. 16: 11 p.m., a family friend reports the family missing.
  • Tuesday, Aug. 17: 1:53 a.m., the family’s car is located down Hites Cove Road north of Jerseydale.
  • Tuesday, Aug. 17: 1:55 a.m., a search and rescue mission is initiated.
  • Tuesday, Aug. 17: 11 a.m., the family is found dead on the Savage-Lundy Trail by a search and rescue team.
  • Thursday, Aug. 19: Autopsies are completed on the family and dog, “all currently pending toxicology.”
  • Friday, Aug. 20: Search warrants issued for a phone found with the family.
  • Friday, Aug. 20: Search warrants issued for the family’s home and cars. “Nothing significant” is found.
  • Monday, Aug. 23: Additional water samples are collected from water sources “along the trail area.”
  • Tuesday, Aug. 24: A cell phone is delivered to the FBI for data extraction, “awaiting results.”
  • Wednesday, Aug. 25: Search warrants issued for “possible social media access.”
ETA: Taking note that in this updated edition of the story under the same title, the Sheriff's Office provides that the entire Savage-Lundy Trail loop, where the family was found dead, is approximately 8.5 miles, but does NOT say that they believe the family completed the loop or most of the loop.
This is really interesting because as you point out they don’t mention that the family was completing the loop, &&& they also suggest they have some specific evidence of the route taken (which you bolded). By omission, it seems they may be revising their position somewhat from earlier statements.

Last edited:
@SeenTooMuch - I wouldn't correlate GF / sugar-free donuts with an ED or compulsive exercise. Like @Figuring says, it's a very West Coast thing. Lots of bakeries out here accommodate dietary restrictions. Vegan cake donuts are everywhere. They are delicious.

In addition, it seems that the yoga EC practiced / taught was primarily Hatha / Vinyasa flow (Satori Yoga Studio). "A mindfully guided experience that combines breath with movement" is not exactly congruous with "obsessive exerciser." According to that page, she was continuing her yoga teacher training.

I also have wanted to say in response to someone upthread that I personally don't think it's sinister that there are a) more photos of the dog and b) not a lot of posts since the baby was born. My guess is that that both EC and JG had a lot of private social media posts, which is why LE has requested a warrant. Most of my friends keep their baby photo posts locked to friends as opposed to public.

This story haunts me and I can't stop scouring the web for tidbits of info. I wish I could turn back time and undo this tragedy.

Aha!
All National Forests in CA are closed.

Region 5 - News & Events

I therefore don’t think we can put quite so much weight on the Hite Cove area being closed, since it’s National Forest land.

I was talking about this case at length with my dad tonight, just for a fresh perspective... He was aware of this & the recent Joshua Tree case, & wondered aloud why the US didn’t close parks during the extreme heat, as we close some parks or part of parks here in Canada in extreme winter (I’m in western Canada; sometimes I just say I’m in the PNW because it’s simpler shorthand). He wondered if there’s some state/national legislation against closing parks, or if it would just be wildly unpopular etc. I don’t know! Has it happened before, in your experience—all national forests in a state closed? Do you think it’s related to this case? Or to the weather/seasonal fires more generally? Why wait so late in the season?

Edit to add: I know the notices say it’s strictly fire related. Has that occurred before? Is it a thing only in recent years? (My questions have to do with global warming, & how there’s some suggestion in recent articles that it is throwing off people’s ability to assess risk correctly. Which, indirectly, *may* have something to do with this case.)

Last edited:
Aha!

Region 5 - News & Events

I therefore don’t think we can put quite so much weight on the Hite Cove area being closed, since it’s National Forest land.

But they closed Hites Cove /before/ the full state-wide NF closure, which is due to fire danger. So I think there's something there. But that's JMO! :)

Aha!

Region 5 - News & Events

There are separate orders dealing with distinct issues. You linked to an order from the USDA Forest Service closing all national forests in California from August 31 to September 17. That order is about fire danger.

Three days ago, the Forest Supervisor of the Sierra National Forest issued an order closing the Merced River Recreation Site from August 29 through September 26. (The Merced River Recreation Site is where the family was hiking.) Here is some context about that order:

"As a precaution and to protect the public from unknown hazards in the area, The SNF decided to close several recreation sites, roads, and trails along the Merced River and its South Fork, until deemed safe for public use. It is important to note that as of mid-July, Forest officials have posted warning signs of potentially harmful algal blooms (HABs) identified in the South Fork of the Merced River."

Source: Sierra National Forest issues Forest Order | Sierra News Online

One order has nothing to do with the other. The SNF order closing the Merced River Recreation Site was in effect before (and will still be in effect after) the USDA order expires.

Last edited:
None of us REALLY know what happened, so it's all conjecture. Otherwise, all we know is the timeline, the temps, and that there was toxic algae in the vicinity. Using my own life experience to figure out what might have occurred, as they weren't shot, bludgeoned or attacked by a mountain lion according to LE. Not looking for a living perpetrator of a crime. I live in California and am very familiar with vegans, paleos, high end trendy doughnut shops, and fitness buffs. Known anorexics and exercise fanatics and marathoners. Have been intimate enough to know what makes some tick. I'm not ascribing blame to her, trying to fit puzzle pieces together. Clearly these two were not the type to wait out a hot day in front of a fan, drinking iced lemonade, or similar. I've made a lot of mistakes in my life, and will make more, just cutting back on the number from experience. Clearly, one or two parents were determined to take a baby and a middle aged dog on a hike on a blistering hot day. It was said the area was empty of hikers due to the heat. It was not a good decision, and I'm wondering why an obviously intelligent, sophisticated, loving couple would take two loved family members on such a hike, as baby and dog depended on them for survival. Somehow, they thought it was a fun and/or healthful thing to do. Most people were trying to keep cool. Trying to figure out why this particular couple went for that hike, and what brought them to such a tragic end. Most of us have made some bad mistakes, and I cringe at some of the
ones I've made. Maybe I'm still around from sheer luck. Rather than ascribing blame to her, I'm trying to dissect the motivation in going for that hike, and what the most likely explanation for their demise is. My best guess is heat exposure, so I'm following that mental trail. Hope LE figures it out soon. Until then, anything anyone says is their best guess. Of course, as you said, she was a victim of what happened. They all were. But only the two adults made the decision to go for that hike. <modsnip> With the best of intentions. Sadly, heart breakingly, those best intentions ended in tragedy. May they all rest in the gentlest of peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have wanted to say in response to someone upthread that I personally don't think it's sinister that there are a) more photos of the dog and b) not a lot of posts since the baby was born. My guess is that that both EC and JG had a lot of private social media posts, which is why LE has requested a warrant. Most of my friends keep their baby photo posts locked to friends as opposed to public.

This story haunts me and I can't stop scouring the web for tidbits of info. I wish I could turn back time and undo this tragedy.

RSBM. I agree so much with this comment & want to thank you for saying it! I’ve seen some casual remarks (not on this forum) kind of making innuendos about how Ellen hadn’t posted many/enough baby photos on Instagram, & it really bothers me that this has become some kind of social expectation, or supposed demonstration of normality. Instagram can be an illusion as much as anything, & I don’t blame anyone for wanting to keep their child’s first year(s) private.

& I’m haunted too by this case. Just so much loss in one place.

they allegedly saw this same family in the museum 2 days before their Sunday hike. They remember the dad carrying the baby around and very interested in the climbing exhibit.
I’m going to guess this is the museum that the family allegedly went to on Friday: The Yosemite Valley Visitor Center, with one section of the museum focused on rock climbing: Yosemite Valley Visitor Center — James Freed Design

Climbing Exhibit at Yosemite Visitors Center — John Murray Productions, Inc.

Last edited:
Oops - bumping the ModNote reminder below:

MODNOTE

Websleuths is victim-friendly. As such, we're suspending discussion on the intentional ingestion of recreational drugs as a contributing factor in this tragic incident unless and until there is any evidence revealed in toxicology reports, LE statements and/or approved mainstream media reports that would indicate otherwise.

Thank you for your understanding and for upholding Websleuths standards.

There was a discussion of this a few pages back. According to NA, the full loop would be 6.7 miles.
Just for the record, I measured the distances in Google Maps and got 8,0 miles or 12.9 km. So, the 6,7 km distance is not correct.
The Sheriff mentioned 8.5 km, so I think, this is correct.

Under normal conditions, taking the altitude differences into account, I would have done this in roughly 3-4 h.

What I additionally wanted to mention is that important is not only how much water you take with you, but also, even more so, your hydration status at the beginning of the hike. Did you drink enough water the day before? Are you well hydrated? Did you drink alcohol the day before?

Last edited:
Just for the record, I measured the distances in Google Maps and got 8,0 miles or 12.9 km. So, the 6,7 km distance is not correct.
The Sheriff mentioned 8.5 km, so I think, this is correct.

Under normal conditions, taking the altitude differences into account, I would have done this in roughly 3-4 h.

What I additionally wanted to mention is that important is not only how much water you take with you, but also, even more so, your hydration status at the beginning of the hike. Did you drink enough water the day before? Are you well hydrated? Did you drink alcohol the day before?
kilometers are different than miles

So let me throw something on the speculative pile totally out of the wild.

The couple had a history of going to Burning Man. This year and last it was cancelled because of COVID. However, there's a virtual version that’s still going on now. It goes until Sep 5. Guess when it began? Aug 21, the very weekend JG and EC decided to go on their overly long hike in searing heat.
Many of us are having trouble with the whys and wherefores here.
Imagine, if you will, that they planned this outing in the spirit of the Burning Man experience. In other words they were doing a Virtual Burning Man activity. Maybe they’d even write it up on social media, just like the old days. Good memories, and all that.
It just so happened that they were encumbered by an infant, but perhaps they hadn’t integrated that reality or anticipated the implications.
So, in the interest of virtual and similitude, then the heat and dry air would be exactly the plan. Maybe the water volume even came from the BM playbook? Maybe they thought a nice strenuous hike in those conditions would approximate a sweaty dance in the desert, no matter that desert spot couldn’t possibly be any flatter?

If the couple really attempted the whole loop, I will lose faith in their experience level. I am beginning to think they had very little of that without guides, let alone under hazardous conditions. Are there even a lot of photos of them hiking?

I have no idea how to navigate—or get enthusiastic about—Burning Man’s front page. Count me VERY confused by the presentation, but here’s the link: Virtual Burn | Burning Man

IMO you make a valid point. Good sleuthing.

I was talking about this case at length with my dad tonight, just for a fresh perspective... He was aware of this & the recent Joshua Tree case, & wondered aloud why the US didn’t close parks during the extreme heat, as we close some parks or part of parks here in Canada in extreme winter (I’m in western Canada; sometimes I just say I’m in the PNW because it’s simpler shorthand). He wondered if there’s some state/national legislation against closing parks, or if it would just be wildly unpopular etc. I don’t know! Has it happened before, in your experience—all national forests in a state closed? Do you think it’s related to this case? Or to the weather/seasonal fires more generally? Why wait so late in the season?

Edit to add: I know the notices say it’s strictly fire related. Has that occurred before? Is it a thing only in recent years? (My questions have to do with global warming, & how there’s some suggestion in recent articles that it is throwing off people’s ability to assess risk correctly. Which, indirectly, *may* have something to do with this case.)
Many National Parks you can drive into, so they would not be closing. When they did close for COVID, there was a huge amount of damage by vandals. E.g. Joshua Tree.
Some parks close in winter, because the snow is too deep, e.g. Crater Lake and many parts of Yellowstone. Some parks have such varied temps at any one time, it would make no sense to close them.
IMO closing for heat is a bit more of a challenge because a heat wave because the heat wave often lasts just a few days.
On the other hand, heat is part of the attraction at Death Valley.

Like many here I’m thinking the heat played a role in the deaths of this family and dog. They probably didn’t all perish at the same time, but the more vulnerable were left helpless. Of course, I would like to see a map with the body locations of all marked.

On a side note – seeing dogs active in this type of heat makes my blood boil (no pun intended). Even working (athletic) dogs who are well-conditioned and handlers that know their resting and working vital signs would not (should not) work a dog for a long period of time in temps described here. If unavoidable there would be short spurts with extreme care taken of the dog.

It’s amazing to study the gps collar tracks of a dog that’s walking the same path as you. Some dogs might get close to double the miles you did. Especially any herding breed that forges ahead then comes back (figure 8) to check on their person before forging ahead again. These dogs have to be paced.

I’ve seen two dogs dead on a trail due to heat – owners shocked. One that was saved by fireman carrying the poor buddy to safely cool him off in a stream. It’s terrible. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member